BSc Statistics or Bachelor of Science in Statistics is a 3 year UG course that broadly deals with statistics, probability, and permutations.
The students planning to pursue a BSc Statistics must have completed 10+2 with subjects Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. At least a 50% mark from a recognized school in India is mandatory to get admission in this course.
The admission is given based on merit and the candidates’ performance in the entrance exam conducted by various colleges across India.
Fergusson College, St. Xavier’s College and more are some of the top BSc Statistics colleges offering admission on the basis of merit. Christ University, BHU, etc are some offering admission on the basis of entrances.
Some of the top entrances for admission to this course are GSAT, BHU UET, IISER IAT , etc
The average annual fees required to study BSc Statistics vary from INR 20,000-1,50,000. The average fees depends upon the college, its overall ranking, placements, etc
The students are offered a detailed understanding of BSc Statistics subjects like Statistics, Probability, and Statistical Methods, Survey Sampling, Numerical Analysis, etc
The table below lists the top BSc Statistics colleges in India, as per The Week Ranking.
|The Week Ranking (2019)||College Name||Admission Process||Average Total Fees (INR)||Average Salary (INR)|
|8||Fergusson College, Pune||Merit-based||11,025||4.46 LPA|
|10||St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai||Merit-based||7,187||7 LPA|
|13||Mount Carmel College, Bangalore||Merit-based||42,000||7.5 LPA|
|16||Christ University, Bangalore||Entrance based||65,000||5-7 LPA|
|21||Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, Mumbai||Merit based||7,450||2- 4 LPA.|
Post successfully completing BSc Statistics, the degree holders can expect a salary ranging from INR 4.5-8 LPA. A large number of jobs like Risk analyst, Statistician, Actuary Manager, Research professional, etc are available in both the government and private sectors.
With exploring the areas like Banks, Finance institutions, R&D firms, etc, Federal bank, Cognizant, IBM, Infosys, Wipro, Deloitte, HDFC Bank, Google, etc.are some of top recruiters of the field.
Candidates can even choose to study M.Sc. Statistics and.M.Sc Actuarial Science to obtain a higher degree. However, on successful completion of this course, students get exposed to various research opportunities as well. Plenty of candidates prefer to visit foreign countries for research purposes.
BSc Statistics Admission Process
Admission to BSc Statistics in India is offered through the following ways:
- Merit-Based: Top Bsc Statistics colleges like Fergusson College, Mount Carmel College, and more offer admission to the students on the basis of merit. In that case, their overall score in the 10+2 level is very important.
- Entrance Based: Few colleges like Christ University offer admission to BSc Statistics on the basis of marks obtained in the entrance exams.Post qualifying the entrance exams, the shortlisted students may also require to appear for a Group Discussion and Personal Interview round.
BSc Statistics Eligibility
Following are the BSc Statistics eligibility criteria to be fulfilled by the students:
- The students must have completed Class 12 with at least 50% including all subjects from a recognized school.
- Candidates also need to qualify Class 12 with Mathematics as one of the main subjects.
.BSc Statistics Entrance Exams
Some of the .BSc Statistics Entrance Exams are as follows:
- GSAT: It is a national level exam conducted every year for admitting aspirants into various UG and PG Science programs offered by GITAM University.
- BHU UET: It is an undergraduate entrance test for admission in various UG courses at Banaras Hindu University.
- IISER IAT: It is conducted by Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research for admission in the courses of science & research.
- DSAT: It is an university level entrance exam organized by Dayanand Sagar University (DSU) for various UG and PG courses.
- SUAT: Sharda University conducts this test every year in order to take admission for various UG and PG courses.
|Exam Name||Last date of Application||Exam date||Exam mode|
|GSAT||Extended till further notice||To be announced||Offline|
|BHU UET||March 21, 2020 till 11:00 PM||To be announced||Online|
|IISER IAT||July 08, 2020 (Extended)||August 12, 2020||Online|
|DSAT||May 01, 2020||May 4 – 31, 2020||Both Online/Offline|
|SUAT||June 15, 2020(Extended)||June 10 – 17, 2020||Online|
How to prepare for BSc Statistics Entrance Exams?
To get admission to colleges like Sharda University, DSU and more, you must prepare effectively so that you can get a good score in the entrance exam.
Mainly, there are three sections in almost all the entrance exams, which are:
The students must study on a daily basis so that they can ace the entrance exam.
Points to be kept in mind while preparing for the BSc Statistics entrance exams?
- It is mandatory for the students to get familiar with the subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics that will be asked in the test.
- You can refer to the books of the renowned authors and practice taking more mock tests so that you can get a better understanding of your preparation.
- The students are suggested to focus on the weaknesses as well so that no important topic gets missed out.
- All the aspirants appearing for the entrance exam need to stay motivated and calm at the same time. This will help them to continue their preparation in a more encouraging way.
How to get admission in a good BSc Statistics college?
In order to secure a seat into the top BSc Statistics colleges under DU, BHU, etc, refer to the below mentioned points:
- Make sure to score well in your 12th board examinations. An extraordinary mark is required in Mathematics.
- Stay alert and check the detailed admission procedure at the time of filling the application form.
- Start preparing well for entrances, if your dream college offers admission on the basis of so.
- Preparation of entrances must be taken thoroughly and in advance without missing any part.
- Start shaping yourself for the group discussion and personal interview rounds.
- Keep yourself updated with all the updates of important dates like application process, application deadline, entrance exams, etc.
BSc Statistics: What is it About?
Following are some of the points to help you know what BSc Statistics is about:
- BSc Statistics is a UG course allowing the students to understand, learn and use knowledge of statistics and mathematics to have a successful career.
- The course includes lectures, flying and simulation training, assignments etc aimed at offering classroom, and practical training as well.
- BSc Statistics emphasises on the areas of Probability and Statistical Methods, Survey Sampling, Numerical Analysis, etc
- This course plays a huge role in getting through the fields of risk assessment and management.
- Computer science and Mathematics are the two most important parts of the BSc Statistics course curriculum.
BSc Statistics: Course Highlights
Given below are some of the main highlights of this program:
|Duration of the Course||3 years|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized educational board with Maths as one of the major subjects.|
|Admission Process||Merit or Entrance Examination|
|Average Course Fee||INR 20,000-1,50,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4.5-8 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Federal bank, Cognizant, IBM, UBS, L&T, Infosys, Wipro, Deloitte, Future First, HDFC Bank, Google, etc.|
|Top Job Areas||Banks, Finance institutions, Educational institutes, R&D firms, Insurance companies, Government organizations, Trading companies, etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Risk analyst, Statistician, Actuary Manager, Research professional, Credit Risk Strategist, Analysis/Statistics Manager, Subject Matter Expert - Statistics, etc|
Why study BSc Statistics?
There are numerous advantages of pursuing BSc Statistics out of which some are mentioned underneath:
- The students will get relevant skills like data analysis, observation of patterns, deduction of conclusions, etc
- BSc Statistics is the right course to develop problem-solving skills in an individual
- This course helps the students to use logical ways to formulate theories and apply the same to solve problems in the job sector.
- Students can explore various job roles in the industries like Banks, Finance institutions, R&D firms, etc
- Pursuing BSc Statistics makes a candidate eligible to earn an average salary within the range of INR 5 to 8 LPA.
- Some of the top recruiters of this field are Federal bank, Cognizant, IBM, UBS, L&T, Infosys, Wipro, Deloitte, Future First, HDFC Bank, Google, etc.
Beneath we have discussed few differences between BSc Statistics and BSc Statistics Honours based on few important grounds.
|Parameters||BSc Statistic||BSc Statistics Honours|
|Qualification||Bachelor of Science in Statistic||Bachelor of Science in Statistics Honours|
|Course Overview||BSc Statistics Lays emphasis on the collection, meaningful segregation, and interpretation of collected data.||BSc Statistics Honours not only lays emphasis on the areas of collection, meaningful segregation, and interpretation of collected data, but also the approach of the course is much more detailed in nature.|
|Duration||3 Years||3 Years|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized educational board with Maths as one of the major subjects.||Minimum score of 55% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at 10+2 or equivalent level.|
|Admission Process||Merit or Entrance Examination||Entrance exam based/Merit-based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 20,000-1,50,000||INR 30,000-2,0,000|
|Top Colleges||Fergusson College, St. Xavier’s College, Mount Carmel College, Christ University, Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, etc
||Aligarh Muslim University, Amity University, Assam University, BHU, BJB Autonomous College, DAV University, Dibrugarh University, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4.5-8 LPA||INR 5-8 LPA|
Source: University websites and Payscale
BSc Statistics Colleges
Below tables lists some of the top BSc Statistics Colleges in India.
|College Name||City||Average Total Fee (INR)||Average Salary (INR)|
|Fergusson College||Pune||11,025||4.46 LPA|
|St. Xavier’s College||Mumbai||7,187||7 LPA|
|Mount Carmel College||Bangalore||42,000||7.5 LPA|
|Christ University||Bangalore||65,000||5-7 LPA|
|Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College||Mumbai||7,450||2- 4 LPA.|
|St. Xavier’s College||Ahmedabad||10,000||7 LPA|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||66,000||8-9 LPA|
|Lovely Professional University||Chandigarh||53,200||7-8 LPA|
|NIMS University||Jaipur||40,000||6-8 LPA|
|Elphinstone College||Mumbai||5,695||3-4 LPA|
Tabulated below is the comparison between some of the top colleges offering BSc Statistics in India.
|Parameters||St. Xavier’s College||Fergusson College|
|College overview||Affiliated to the University of Mumbai, St. Xavier’s College offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Certificate, and Diploma programs in the fields of Arts, Science, Business and Commerce.||Deccan Education Society established Fergusson College in the year 1885. The college is affiliated to the Savitribai Phule Pune University.|
|The Week Ranking||10||8|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 7,187||INR 11,025|
|Average Annual Package||INR 7 LPA||INR 4.46 LPA|
|Top recruiters||Wipro, Deloitte, Odessa Technologies, TESCO, Viacom, etc.||Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst & Young, Accenture, ICICI Bank, etc|
BSc Statistics Syllabus
The first-year of BSc Statistics Syllabus includes subjects like Analytical Solid Geometry, Probability & Statistics, etc. While in the second year, subjects like real analysis, Mechanics, Abstract Algebra, etc will be introduced.
BSc Statistics subjects might differ from college to college, but the majority of the course concepts remain the same in almost all the colleges.
The table drawn below is the semester-wise break up of the BSc Statistics Syllabus.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Demoivre’s theorem||Differential Calculus|
|Equations theories, Fundamental theorem of algebra and its consequences.||Review of Differential Equations|
|Inequalities||Review of integration and definite integrals|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Statistical Methods||Index Numbers|
|Measures of location (or central tendency) and dispersion||Demand Analysis|
|Probability Theory||Utility and Production Functions|
|Random Variables||Mathematical Finance|
|Expectation of random variable and its properties||Time Series|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Sample Surveys||Numerical Analysis|
|Basic sampling methods||Inverse interpolation|
|Stratified random sampling||Numerical integration
|Fundamental theorem of algebra and its consequences||General Linear models|
BSc Statistics Books
Following are some of the BSc Statistics books to help you get a better understanding of the complex BSc Statistics subjects.
|Name of the book||Author|
|Fundamentals of applied statistics||S.c Gupta & V.K kapoor|
|A Brief Course in Mathematical Statistics||Elliot Tanis & Robert V. Hogg|
|Introduction methods of numerical analysis||S.S Sastry|
|Theory and Analysis of Sample Survey Designs||Daroga Singh and Fauran S. Chaudhary|
|Introduction to Statistical Theory||Charles J. Stone, Paul Gerhard Hoel, and Sidney C. Port|
BSc Statistics Jobs & Career Options
BSc Statistics graduates can get decent placements within the same industry immediately after completing their studies. There are plenty of BSc Statistics Jobs available in both the government and private sector.
some of the prime recruiting areas include:
- Finance institutions
- Educational institutes
- R&D firms
- Insurance companies
- Trading companies
Some of the popular companies hiring these graduates are:
- Federal bank
- HDFC Bank
The table below describes some of the BSc Statistics Jobs that can be considered by the BSc Statistics graduates, along with the Average Salary Scale:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary (INR)|
|Financial Analyst||They work in the accounts department within a company and their role includes preparing, managing and analysing accounting information.||8|
|Data Analyst||They are responsible for preparing every kind of data for a company and they collect, validate, transform, present the collected information in a more presentable way.||7|
|Financial Accountant||They ensure that the operations of accounting and financial activities are being carried in the right way.||6|
|Analyst- Broking||They offer useful information to the stockbrokers, fund managers, stock market traders etc.||5.5|
|Credit Control Executive||These professionals decide the capability of a creditor’s eligibility for loan and also looks after the debts of existing customers.||5|
BSc Statistics Scope
The demand for the BSc Statistics is growing rapidly and various national and international firms like Banks, Finance institutions, R&D firms, etc look for the qualified graduates in this particular field.
This sector is expected to create more than 20 Lakh jobs in the coming 5 years. So B.Sc. Statistics have emerged as one of the popular choices for those students planning to have a career in the Finance industry.
However, apart from making a career in any of the above fields, one can also opt for higher studies. Pursuing a Master’s in Statistics and to take up Actuarial Science as a specialization by studying M.Sc Actuarial Science. Studying further in the same domain will increase the possibilities of an individual to earn well and get ample opportunities.
ISI, TIFR, IITs are some of the top institutions to help you carry out research in the same field.
BSc Statistics: FAQs
Ques. What are some of the main BSc Statistics subjects?
Ans.Some of the main BSc Statistics subjects include statistics, permutations, probability theory, index numbers, combinations, etc.
Ques. What is the mode of the registration for the BSc Statistics entrance exam?
Ans.The candidate can apply for a BSc Statistics course by filling the form online or offline as well.
Ques. What are the job opportunities after completing this program?
Ans.There are wider job opportunities that can be considered once the students have completed this course. Some of the options include:
- Risk analyst
- Loan officer
- Research professional
Ques. Can BSc Statistics graduates opt for further studies as well?
Ans.The B.Sc Statistics graduates pursue various PG courses which include M.Sc. Statistics, MBA, PGDM courses etc.
Ques. Which are the best colleges to Pursue BSc Statistics?
Ans. Some of the top BSc Statistics colleges are:
- St. Xavier’s College
- University of Delhi
- Christ University
- Bareilly College
- Banasthali University
- Amity Institute of Applied Sciences
Ques. What is the average cost of pursuing BSc Statistics?
Ans. The average cost of pursuing BSc Statistics ranges from INR 20,000-1,50,000.
Ques. What are the minimum requirements for pursuing BSc Statistics?
Ans. The aspirants must have completed 10+2 level from a recognised board.
Ques. What is the entire duration of the program?
Ans. BSc Statistics is a three years UG course that can be done post completing 10+2.
Ques. Is doing BSc Statistics worthy?
Ans.This is a good course especially for the aspirants having good reasoning ability, analytical skills, and mathematical aptitude and want to use their creative mind while learning new skills.