BSc in Textile Design is a 3-year full time undergraduate degree which is designed to offer students thorough knowledge of the formation and utilisation of numerous textiles.
BSc Textile Design Syllabus includes Textile Science, weave structure, dyeing techniques and resource management also the basics of garments methods.
For admission to this course students must have passed 10+2 examinations with minimum 55% marks. Admission to this course will be done either on the basis of the candidate's performance in the entrance exam or on the basis of the candidate's performance in the qualifying examination.
Know More: BSc Admission 2021
The average annual course fee to pursue this program ranges between INR 50,000 and 3,50,000 depending on the college offering the course.
The average salary offered to successful graduates is between INR 2,00,000 and 10,00,000. Students who want to become Graphic Designer, Product Designer, Stylist and Retail Buyer etc. can go for this course.
After completing this course, students can pursue higher studies and advanced academic exploration along with research through MSc and Certificate Courses. This course essentially provides a solid basis for further studies and related prospects.
Also check: top MSc Colleges in India.
B.Sc Textile Design: Course Highlights
|Full Form||Bachelor of Science in Textile Design|
|Eligibility||55% marks in aggregate at 10+2 level|
|Admission Procedure||Entrance Exam|
|Average Course Fee||INR 50,000 to 3.5 lakhs|
|Subjects||Textile Science, Art Design, Fabric Manufacturer, Fashion Apparel Design, Principles of Management.|
|Average annual salary||INR 2 lakhs to 10 lakhs|
|Recruitment areas||Stylist, Television and Film Industry, Garments and Textile export house, Knit - Wear Designer.|
|Recruitment Companies||Bandhini Home, Freedom Tree, Idam, The Anhad Shop, No - mad India.|
B.Sc Textile Design: Admission process
Most of the top Indian institutes offering BSc Textile Design degree courses conduct admissions through Entrance Examination. At the same time, other Indian institutes prefer admitting students based on Merit-based evaluation or direct admission.
The admission procedures followed in Indian institutes for BSc Textile Design course are given below:
The step-by-step procedure for merit-based admission to BSc Textile Design course in Indian Colleges/ Universities is given below:
- Online Registration- Candidates have to register themselves online by filling the necessary details.
- Application Form - On successful registration, fill the application form correctly with all the details required in the form.
- Application Fee - Pay the requisite amount of application fee and submit the form.
After successful application, the college authorities will decide and publish the merit list of selected students.
Entrance based admissions
Most of the colleges and universities offer admission to BSc Textile Design on the basis of entrance exams like NIFT, AIEED, CEED etc.
The step-by-step procedure for entrance-based admission is as follows:
- Step 1: Students have to register on the official website.
- Step 2: Fill the application form with correct details.
- Step 3: After examination, a cutoff list will be released on the website. Seats will then be allotted to candidates based on their scores in the entrance exam.
- Step 4: Some colleges also conduct personal interviews and group discussion for admission to this course.
- Step 5: On meeting all the eligibility criteria, a student will then be offered admission to the course.
B.Sc Textile Design: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for admission into BSc Textile Design course will differ from institute to institute. The general eligibility criteria for the top colleges are as follows:
- Passed Class 12 or equivalent with an aggregate of at least 55% marks from a recognized board.
- Candidates who have completed a Diploma in a related specialization are also eligible to apply through direct-admission in colleges.
Which are the popular BSc Textile Design Entrance Exams?
Admission to BSc Textile Design program will be done based on the candidate's performance in the entrance test.
Some of the popular entrance exams are briefly explained below:
- AIEED: ARCH Academy of Design conducts All India Entrance Examination for Design or AIEED. The examination is designed to test the candidate's creativity, analytical ability, and fashion sensitivity. By qualifying AIEED, the candidates can take admission in ARCH Academy of Design.
- CEED: The Common Entrance Exam for Design or CEED is conducted for students who want to take admission in some of the top fashion institutes in India.
- DAT: Design Aptitude Test or DAT is conducted at some of the top private fashion institutes, including GD Goenka University and National Institute of Design. Candidates can take admissions in respective institutes after qualifying DAT of that particular institute.
- NIFT Entrance Exam: The National Institute of Fashion Technology conducts the NIFT Entrance Exam. After qualifying this exam, aspiring students can take admission to any NIFT campus across India, according to ranks.
- IIAD Entrance Examination: The Indian Institute of Art & Design (IIAD) conducts the IIAD Entrance Examination for admission to Bachelor of Fashion Design. Once qualified, the candidates can take admission in IIAD.
The application dates, exam dates and the mode of the exam of the above mentioned exams are provided in the table below.
|Name of Exam||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|AIEED SAT 2020||November 21, 2020 - February 15, 2021||February 25 - 28, 2021||Online|
|CEED 2021||September 09 - November 17, 2020||January 17, 2021||Online|
|NID DAT 2021||January 09 - February 17, 2021||March 14, 2021||Offline|
|NIFT 2021||December 14 - January 21, 2021||February 14, 2021||Offline|
|IIAD 2021||Till March 20, 2021||March 27 - 28, 2021||Online/Offline|
How to prepare for BSc Textile Design entrance exams?
Most of the top colleges in India that offer BSc Textile Design require entrance exam results as a requisite for admissions of aspiring candidates. So it is important that the candidate prepares for the entrance exam appropriately and succeeds.
- Candidates must have a clear picture and aim of the entrance exams he or she wants to appear. It will help them to study more accurately focusing on the particular exam types, patterns, and syllabus.
- These entrance exams test the candidates' Qualitative and Quantitative Thinking Approaches, Analytical Reasoning, Logical Reasoning, Creativity, Sensitivity and Knowledge and Conceptions regarding various aspects of Fashion.
- A list of target colleges will prepare the candidate for the particular entrance examinations and what to expect from that examination. It will also provide them with a good idea of the cutoffs and possibilities of admissions based on targeted ranks.
- The candidate must have a good knowledge of the entrance exam syllabus and concepts that the particular exam demands.
- The candidate must focus on both theoretical and communicative aspects of the entrance tests. It will prepare them in facing the communicative round of exams and their success.
Also, read more about the IIAD Exam Question Pattern, Syllabus and Important Tips in detail.
How to Get Admission in a Good BSc Textile Design College?
- Check the list of top colleges in India offering BSc Textile Design program and narrow down them according to the location, ease of access, annual course fees etc.
Check the full list of Top BSc Textile Design Colleges in India.
- Visit the colleges’ websites and go through the eligibility and admission process
- Make sure that you have applied in your preferable BSc Textile Design college before the deadline.
- The admission to the BSc Textile Design at top colleges is usually based on the entrance exams, so it is necessary to clear it up. Be prepared for the exam.
- Stay updated with the latest news regarding the colleges you have applied for.
B.Sc Textile Design: Syllabus
A list of topics taught to the students pursuing BSc Textile Design course is tabulated below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Traditional Textile||Adobe Illustrator|
|Fabric Construction||Textile Dyeing & Printing|
|Garment Construction||Figure and Profile|
|CAD – II||Textile Science|
|Hindi / English||Fashion Marketing|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Family Dynamics||IT in Textile Science|
|Fabric Ornamentation||Textile Chemistry|
|Textile Science||Fashion Apparel|
|Fashion Illustration||Garment Production Management|
|Basic of Garment Making||Recent Advance in textile design|
|Practical||Traditional art crafts|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Textile Garment Quality Control||Fibre Identification|
|Fabric Identification||Fibre blends analysis|
|Theory of Knitting||Identification of type of Yarn|
|Methods & types of Spinning||Yarn count , direct and indirect yarn|
|Classification of Yarn||Evaluation of colour fastness to washing and ironing.|
|Yarn Properties||Practical and Project Work|
B.Sc Textile Design: Important Books
Some of the most recommended books for BSc Textile Design course are provided in the table given below:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Watson’s Textile Design and Color||Grosicki Z.|
|A text book of fibre science and technology||Mishra S.P.|
|Textile Yarns||Goswami, B.C.|
|Fabric Science||Pizzoto’s J.J|
|The technology of clothing manufacturer||Carr and Lather.|
|Patternmaking for Fashion Design||Armstrong H.J.|
B.Sc Textile Design: Top Colleges
The table below shows the best BSc Textile Design colleges and universities that offer the course in a full-time mode
|College/ University Name||Average Annual Fees|
|NIFT, New Delhi||INR 2,70,000|
|SOFT, Pune||INR 1,36,000|
|NIFT, Mohali||INR 1,04,000|
|Chandigarh University, Chandigarh||INR 55,000|
|Jain University, Bangalore||INR 1,18,500|
|CUTN, Thiruvarur||INR 18,868|
|KSR College of Arts and Science College, Namakkal||INR 40,000|
BSc Textile Design: College Comparison
The tabulation below depicts the comparison made among the two top BSc Textile Design colleges in India.
|Basis||NIFT, New Delhi||School of Fashion Technology, Pune|
|About||NIFT Delhi was established in 1986 and is the top Design Institute among the Design Institutes in India. It offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs in design.||SOFT is a Private College which has a history of educating women from national and international backgrounds in the field of the fashion industry.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2,70,000||INR 1,36,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 7,80,000||INR 5,00,000|
|Top Recruitment Organizations||Vardhman Textile ltd, Accenture, Welspun India, Trident Ltd.||Rupa & Company Ltd, Himatsingka Seide Ltd, TCS, Amazon.|
BSc Textile Design Vs BSc Renewable Energy
Both BSc Textile Design and BSc Renewable Energy are bachelor degree programs in different disciplines.
The difference between the above-mentioned courses is provided in the table given below:
|Basis||BSc Textile Design||BSc Renewable Energy|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Objective||The main objective of the course is thorough knowledge of the formation and utilisation of numerous textiles. The course helps students think uniquely. The course focuses on innovative research out of concept standard development by numerous stages of research.||The main objective of the courses is to give students brief knowledge about the usage and implementation of renewable sources to encounter the rapid demand of the generation.|
|Eligibility||50% marks at 10+2 class in any discipline.||50% marks at 10+2 level in the same discipline.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 50,000 to 3,50,000||INR 1,15,000 to 8,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 to 10,00,000||INR 6,85,000|
|Admission Criteria||Merit/ Entrance-Based||Merit/ Entrance-Based|
B.Sc Textile Design: Future Scope
After completion of the BSc Textile Design course, students have a large number of career options. The future scopes for students of BSc Textile Design are given below :
Higher and advanced education: Students can opt for higher advanced education after completing their BSc Industrial Chemistry degree course. The higher education options they can pursue are :
- B.Ed: For those who want to pursue a career as a school teacher in either public schools or private schools can consider enrolling in a B.Ed degree course. This course can provide them with the necessary insights required for teaching at different school levels.
- MSc: If one wishes to pursue studies in the same field of education, he/ she can opt for MSc in Textile Design. It is a two-year course and the eligibility criteria include having a BSc degree in Textile Design.
- Competitive Exams: Students, after completing their graduation in Textile Design, can appear in different competitive examinations for government jobs, including UPSC CSE, IFS, and PSC of different states.
Check out : Top MSc Textile Design Colleges in India
So, on completion of a BSc Textile Design program students will be able to choose a career as per their skills and area of interest. You can go for higher education or you can also opt for a decent job.
B.Sc Textile Design: Job and Career Prospects
Some of the top job prospects and career options after BSc Textile Design course are as follows:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Graphic Designer||Graphic designers create, visualise ideas using computer software. They enlarge the all – inclusive layout of the company.||INR 2,00,000 to 6,00,000|
|Product Designer||A product designer is a person who holds direction on the company goal and objectives from product management.||INR 6,00,000|
|Stylist||A Stylist is a coordinator who coordinates all aspects of the clothing for the published editorial team.||INR 4,30,000 to 9,00,000|
|Lecturer||The job of Lecturer is to teach the students at college level.||INR 2,00,000 to 5,00,000|
|Retail Buyer||A Retail Buyer is accountable for planning, selecting and purchasing an amount of goods.||INR 3,80,000 to 15,00,000|
B.Sc Textile Design: FAQs
Ques. What is the duration of BSc Textile Design?
Ques. What is the admission process for BSc Textile Design?
- Go to the official website of college whichever you want to apply to.
- Register yourself as a new candidate.
- Fill the application form.
- Provide all your academic details.
- Check whether admission is done on merit basis or entrance exam.
- Submit your email id.
- Pay the application fee.
- Submit the form.
- If admission is done on entrance basis then remember to download your admit card.
Ques. Is there any age limit for pursuing this course?
Ques. What is the salary of a BSc Textile Design fresher?
Ques. What are the employment areas after successfully completing the BSc Textile Design?
Ques. Is there any entrance exam for BSc Textile Design?
Ques. What are the documents that are needed at the time of admission?
- Passport size photographs
- 10+2 Mark Sheet.
- High School Mark Sheet.
- Caste Certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Domicile Certificate
- Adhar card
Ques. What is the difference between BSc Textile Design and BSc Microbiology?