M.Ed or Master of Education is a 2 year post graduate educational degree that can be completed within a maximum time span of 4 years.
The M.Ed course structure is designed for potential educators and provides in-depth knowledge in the field of education and teaching.
The M.Ed program generally comprises 4 semesters. There are some institutes that offer a 1 year regular M.Ed course like the Shivaji University.
The minimum M.Ed eligibility for taking admission is having a B.Ed degree with an aggregate score of 50 to 60%. Some colleges and universities do operate their own entrance tests to offer admission in M.Ed course like Delhi University Entrance Test (DUET), Jammu University Entrance Test (JUET), Aligarh Muslim university Entrance Exam (AMU Exam) and alike.
M.Ed course can be either studied as a normal degree or in correspondence or distance mode. The degree is offered at various renowned colleges and the regulatory body in charge of the course is National Council of Higher Education.
SC/ST/OBCs and differently abled categories get a 5% relaxation in qualifying pass percentage while applying for the M.Ed course.
M.Ed offers students the opportunity to opt for electives or specialization in the last semester of the course. The M.Ed syllabus comprises core subjects like Educational Psychology, Human Rights and Education, Comparative Education.
The top 5 M.Ed colleges are as follows:
|NIRF Ranking||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Fees|
|10||Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||Entrance||INR 7,386|
|19||Jamia Millia Islamia University||New Delhi||Entrance||INR 14,800|
|49||Mahatma Gandhi University||Kottayam||INR 70,000|
|101 - 150||Maharshi Dayanand University||Rohtak||Merit based||INR 17,248|
The average fee to pursue a M.Ed course is around INR 10,000 to INR 50,000 per annum, that may differ from college to college .
The M.Ed program holds a greater benefit for graduates, who after completing the course successfully can set into lucrative careers in various teaching sectors. After pursuing M.Ed, one can roughly expect an average salary package of around INR 4.5 to 5 lakhs per annum.
M.Ed Admission Process
M.Ed admission can be procured through both merit based and entrance based mode as most colleges conduct their own entrance examinations. Once the applications for the entrance test or the merit list have been released by the university, one can easily apply for admissions in that particular college or university. Most of the M.Ed colleges follow the online admission process.
Below given are some steps stating the admission procedure for the M.Ed course:
Candidates must go through the eligibility criteria before registering for the course to avoid rejection of candidature.
Step 1:- Either visit the official website of the institute or visit the institute’s admission office. Collect the admission form or download it online. Candidates will receive login details on the registered mobile number and email id.
Step 2:- Next step is to fill the application form, and uploading/attaching the required documents as per the guidelines and the specifications mentioned.
Step 3:- before submitting the application, the candidates should preview if any changes are to be made.
Step 4:- Final Step is to make the fee payment.
After successfully submitting the application, the print out of the application form and fee receipt should be taken out for future reference. After the closing of application forms, candidates will be shortlisted either on the basis of the merit list released or on the basis of entrance exam score.
M.Ed Eligibility Criteria
In order to pursue M.Ed, one should meet the below mentioned eligibility criteria:
- General candidates need to secure a minimum of 50% to 60% marks in graduation course from a recognized university.
- SC/ST/OBC/Differently abled candidates get 5% relaxation in qualifying percentage in graduation
- Candidates should have done B.Ed (Bachelor of Education) in graduation which should be from a UGC approved university.
- The candidates who have completed their B.El.Ed degree from a Govt University with 55% marks can also apply for M.Ed course.
- Aspirants pursuing B.A.Ed (Bachelor of Arts in Education)/ B.ScEd (Bachelor of Science in Education)/ M.Sc.Ed (Master of Science in Education) can also apply for M.Ed depending upon the institute policies one is applying for.
M.Ed Entrance Exams
M.Ed admissions are also offered on the basis of Entrance Exams. Few of the entrance exams for admissions in M.Ed are mentioned below:
- DUET 2021: Delhi University Entrance Test (DUET) exam is an online admission test conducted by NTA (National Testing Agency) offering admissions in UG, PG and doctorate courses.
- BHU PET 2021: Banaras Hindu University Post Graduate Entrance Test (BHU PET) is an entrance test conducted by Banaras Hindu University. The exam is operated online in 200 cities across India.
- JUET (Jammu University Entrance Test): JUET 2021 is a qualifying entrance exam for admission to Post Graduate Degree (PG), PG Diploma and Undergraduate Programs offered by Jammu University, Jammu that is conducted annually.
- AMU Test (Aligarh Muslim University Test): AMU M.Ed Admission is done in two ways, depending on the courses, ie, Departmental Admission Test (conducted at Aligarh) and Entrance Exam (conducted at designated centres).
- Lucknow University M.Ed Admission Test: Admission to M.Ed course in Lucknow University is done on the basis of a written test followed by an interview. Candidates seeking admission can apply online on the official website.
- Patna University M.Ed Entrance Test (MEET): Patna University has a separate department of post-graduate teaching and research institute. Candidates who want to appear for the M.Ed entrance exam(MEET) must have obtained a minimum of 50% aggregate marks in B.Ed. B.A.Ed./B.Sc.Ed. B.El.Ed or D.El.Ed./D.Ed.
M.Ed Entrance Exams Important Dates:
|Exam Name||Exam Mode||Application||Exam Date||Result|
|DUET 2020||Online||April 2, 2020||June 2 to 9, 2020||June 25, 2020|
|BHU PET 2020||Offline||March 20, 2020||May 10, 2020||June 15 to 20, 2020|
|JUET||Offline||Second week of May 2020||Second week of June 2020||Third week of June 2020|
|AMU Test||Offline||May 2020||Postponed||Postponed|
|Lucknow University M.Ed Admission Test||Offline||13 June,2020||Postponed||Postponed|
|MEET||Offline||30 April to 20 June, 2020||To be announced||To be announced|
How to Prepare for the M.Ed Entrance Examination?
Candidates can apply for the entrance exams both online and offline. Applicants should be careful while filling up the application form as it might get rejected if any mistakes are found.
The M.Ed entrance exam is usually of 1 hour 30 mins, and mostly objective type. It includes:
- General Knowledge
- Teaching Aptitude
- Logical Reasoning and Quantitative Aptitude
- General English
One needs to focus on teaching aptitude and computer knowledge subjects as the rest subjects are common and students will get a strong grip on them by practicing.
Points to keep in mind for preparing well for the entrance exams
As M.Ed enables one to master the course in which one has completed the graduation, so, it requires some basic preparation.The topics included in the exam are teaching process, guidance, educational psychology and school management.
Below given points will help to prepare well for the entrance exams:
- Prepare separate notes for each subject.
- Go through the NCERT books thoroughly.
- Attempt previous papers for better understanding.
- Observe the previous year question papers to catch up with the changing pattern every year.
- Practice and appear for online mock tests.
- Master the graduation subjects well.
- Practice computer knowledge questions.
M.Ed Entrance Exam Reference Books
- Handbook Of M. Ed. Entrance Paperback by Chaman Lal Banga
- M.Ed Entrance Test by M. Ed. Pravesh Pariksha
- M. Ed. Guide by Bhatia K.K
How to get admission in a good M.Ed College?
- Most good colleges have entrance based admissions.
- Merit lists of all the qualified candidates are released and they are notified for the counselling session after the entrance result declaration.
- Cut off marks are displayed on the official website.
- Students should take the entrance examinations seriously and thoroughly go through the previous papers.
Mistakes should be avoided while submission of the documents otherwise the application can be suspended.
M.Ed: What is it about?
- Master of Education popularly known as M.Ed, enables one to make a career in the field of teaching and education. This course is mainly offered in the colleges or universities that are recognised by the NCTE (National Council of Teacher Education), New Delhi.
- The M.Ed course provides students with the basics of educational research, social and psychological foundations in the teaching discipline. This course is more of a research oriented program.
- After completing the M.Ed course one can not only opt for a teacher or professor job, but can also go for counsellors position, headmasters and alike.
M.Ed Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full Form||Master of Education|
|Examination Type||Semester Based Examinations|
|Eligibility||Minimum Percentage 50% to 60% in graduation course (B.Ed)|
|Admission Process||Merit Based/Entrance Exam based|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 to INR 50,000 per annum|
|Average Salary||INR 4 to 5 lakhs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Education consultancies, publishing houses, schools, colleges, coaching centres, research and development agencies|
|Job Positions||Professor, Career Counsellor, Educational Administrator, Curriculum Developer, Online Tutor, Principal|
Obtaining an M.Ed degree is an excellent way to enrich and advance one’s teaching career. It establishes students as an expert teacher and increases job opportunities. Some of the benefits of having a M.Ed degree include:
- Enhanced Value in the Job Market: A master’s is typically the basic requirement for teaching at the high school level hence carries a lot of weight in the teaching job market.
- Build Upon One’s Teaching Skills: M.Ed degree focuses on ways of how to be a teacher with primarily emphasising on pedagogy, teaching methods, philosophy of education, and educational technology which definitely helps one improve their teaching skills.
- Career Mobility: Teachers with advanced degrees get various job opportunities for working school administrative positions and can become mentors to other teachers based upon specific graduate training.
- Increased Earning Potential: With the increased level of degrees the payscale also increases, hence pursuing an M.Ed degree makes it easier to get a high paying job in the teaching field.
M.Ed vs MA Education
M.Ed (Master of Education) and MA Education (Master of Arts in Education) courses are both based on in-depth research and are related to the same field. It totally depends on the student’s area of interest and qualification as to which course to pursue.
Below are some of the key differences between M.Ed and MA (Education).
|Full Form||Master of Education||Master of Arts in Education|
|Aim of Study||The main aim is to hold an in-depth knowledge of the teaching and education sector.||MA Education aims to build proficiency in pedagogy and leadership in the enrolled students.|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Eligibility||Completed B.Ed with 50 to 55% marks.||Bachelors in any relevant subject from a UGC recognized institute.|
|Admission Process||Primarily entrance exam based||Primarily merit based|
|Subjects Involved||Educational Psychology, Education Studies, Comparative Study||Philosophical and social foundations of education, Educational administration and management, human rights and laws|
|Specialization||M.Ed offers a number of specializations in the last year or semester.||MA education is a specialization course itself.|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 10,000 to INR 50,000||INR 15,000 to INR 30,000|
|Average Salary Package||INR 4 to 5 lakhs||INR 3 to 4 lakhs|
M.Ed program does not have any specific specialization but one can choose the electives based on one's interest.
Tabulated below are the electives which can be taken up.
|Elementary Education in India: Administration and Management||Aspects, Planning & Management at Secondary & Senior Secondary level|
|Issues & Curricular Concerns at Elementary level||Issues & Curricular Concerns at Secondary & Senior Secondary level|
|Advanced Curriculum Theory||Environmental Education|
|Education Policy, Planning and Financing of Education at Secondary and Senior Secondary level||Issues, Planning and Policies of Elementary Education|
|Towards Academic Leadership at Secondary School level||Education Management and Planning at Secondary level|
|Policy, Planning and Financing of Education||Educational Administration|
|Information and Communication Technology in Education||Issues and Challenges in Secondary Education|
|Inclusive Education||Guidance & Counselling|
|Educational Technology||Science Education|
|Supporting Education of Students from Disabilities and Disadvantaged Groups||Educational, Vocational Guidance and Counselling|
|Value Education||Educational Evaluation|
|Language Education||Social Science Education|
|Business Education||Gender Studies|
|Yoga Education||Special Education|
M.Ed Top Colleges
Various colleges provide M.Ed courses across India. The top M.Ed Colleges are listed below:
|Ghulam Ahmed College of Education||Hyderabad||INR 45,200|
|Mumbai University||Maharashtra||INR 13,082|
|Annamalai University||Tamil Nadu||INR 88,500|
|Banasthali Vidyapith University||Rajasthan||INR 1,35,000|
|Amity University||Uttar pradesh||INR 2,04,000|
|Dr. D.Y. Patil Vidya Pratishthan||Maharashtra||INR 90,000|
|Regional Institute of Education||Odisha||INR 8,540|
|Mahatma Gandhi University||Kerala||INR 70,000|
|Punjab University||Punjab||INR 78,800|
|Kakatiya University||Telangana||INR 18,550|
Quick Look: Top M.Ed Colleges in India 2021
The admission process of M.Ed in these colleges differ as per the respective college policies.
M.Ed College Comparison
M.Ed is offered at various colleges across India both in correspondence as well as regular format. The table below discusses the details of 2 top colleges providing regular M.Ed courses and 1 college for distance education.
|Parameter||Maulana Azad National Urdu University||Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)||Regional Institute of Education|
|Overview||It comprises 7 schools that are inclusive of 24 departments offering masters programmes, research programmes at MPhil and PhD level. It has 3 polytechnic colleges based in Hyderabad, Bangalore, and Darbhanga offering programs in distance learning as well.||It offers high-quality education through the Open and Distance Learning (ODL) mode with 67 regional centres, 21 schools, 29 international partner institutions, around 2,665 learner support centres and more than 3 million students.||It is a constituent unit of National Council of Educational Research and Training[NCERT], New Delhi and caters to the educational needs of teachers of Eastern Indian region.|
|Affiliation||NAAC, UGC, NCTE||NCTE, AICTE, NAAC||NCTE|
|Mode of Delivery||Regular||Distance||Regular|
|Average Fee||INR 21,600||INR 40,000||INR 8,540|
Also look: M.Ed Study Abroad
M.Ed Distance Learning
M.Ed or Master of Education can also be opted in distance mode, therefore, there are various colleges and universities providing admission in the same. The benefit of pursuing a course from a distance education is that one can gain knowledge of the course without travelling far from one’s hometown.
The top 5 Distance Education colleges for M.Ed are listed below:
|College Name||Location||Average Fees (INR)|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University||New Delhi||40,000|
|Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University||Maharashtra||21,000|
|Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University||Madhya Pradesh||45,000|
|Acharya Nagarjuna University||Andhra Pradesh||5,118|
The lectures and study material is provided by the college/university through online portals, pendrives or by the help of couriers. IGNOU is considered as one of the top colleges for online education and distance learning.
Read more in detail about M.Ed Distance Education
M.Ed is a 2 year degree that comprises 4 semesters, i.e., basically 2 semesters each year. The M.Ed syllabus involves the following core subjects:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Philosophical Foundations of Education-I||Philosophical Foundations of Education-II|
|Psychological Foundations of Education-I||Psychological Foundations of Education-II|
|Sociological Foundations of Education-I||Sociological Foundations of Education-II|
|The methodology of Educational Research & Educational Statistics-I||The methodology of Educational Research & Educational Statistics-II|
|Information and Communication Technology in Education-(Course V is Practical base)||Educational Data Analysis through Statistical packages (Course X is Practical base)|
|Research Communication & Expository writing skills||Proposal preparation and presentation (Dissertation based practicum)|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Comparative Education-I||Comparative Education-II|
|Curriculum Studies-I||Curriculum Studies-II|
|Special Papers||Special Papers|
|Dissertation/Special Paper||Dissertation/Special Paper|
|Specialization based Internship||Internship (in Teacher Education Institution)|
Read Detailed M.Ed Syllabus
M.Ed Career Prospects
M.Ed provides students with a wide variety of job opportunities after the course completion. The job prospects totally depend upon the specialisation one has done in the Master of Education course.
Discussed below are few of the career prospects:
|Job Roles||Description||Average Salary|
|Professors||Their role is to educate the aspiring youth of the nation in the related subject and provide the knowledge at its best. They provide students with in-depth knowledge.||INR 10.35 lakhs|
|Principal||Principal’s role is to establish academic and behavioral standards for the students. They oversee the curriculum programs, administration and services.||INR 6.18 lakhs|
|Admission Counsellor||Their role is to guide the students regarding the admission process of the college. They help students with the guidance in college suggestions and suitable courses for a candidate.||INR 2.91 lakhs|
|Junior Assistant||The role of Junior Assistant is to assist the officer with all the transactional duties. They are a kind of support staff to the supervisors.||INR 2.23 lakhs|
After completion of the M.Ed course one can also go for higher studies. There are a number of reputed doctorate degrees available after completing a Master of Education course. Some of those courses are mentioned below:
- PhD (Education): PhD in Education is a 2 year doctorate degree that enables postgraduates to get the research based knowledge of education and teaching skills. PhD in Education covers subjects like educational policy, educational psychology, educational administration, curriculum and teaching and alike. This program prepares students to go for roles like university teachers, educational leaders, professional practitioners, policymakers and other positions.
- PhD (Teaching): PhD in Teaching focuses on the preparation of researchers in education. This course usually includes course works, researches that are mentored, seminars and alike. The course involves experiencing a range of practical and theoretical problems in schools.
Ques: Can we pursue M.Ed from distance learning mode?
Ques. What is an average fee to pursue M.Ed from a good college?
Ques. When is the MEET exam date?
Ques. What are the career options available after M.Ed course completion ?
Ques: What are the higher studies options available after M.Ed course?
Ques: Does M.Ed degree offer specializations?
Ques: Can one go for an M.Ed course without having a B.Ed degree?
Ques: Is M.A in Education and M.Ed equal?
Ques: Is there a reservation for SC/ST/OBC for M.Ed?
Ques: Is M.Ed course available in IGNOU?