Master of Technology or M.Tech in Agriculture Engineering is a 2 year undergraduate course in the engineering field which caters the knowledge about the technical aspects to identify new engineering methods and policies making the field more profitable and efficient.
MTech Agriculture Engineering deals with the theory, applications and techniques of the Agriculture field in order to enhance the productivity of particular crops with novel innovations.
Admissions to Mtech Agriculture is done on the basis of entrance examination conducted seither by the state body or central examination body like GATE, UPTU etc. followed by a counselling procedure by the college or university itself.
See More: Agriculture Courses
The average fee structure for this course ranges from INR 30,000 to INR 75,000 per annum which depends upon the colleges. There are ample of future prospects after Mtech Agriculture including breeder, agronomist, corporate sales manager, research scientist etc.
Students who wish to pursue their education in Management field or get a career boost, can check an MBA course.
Aspirants who wish to study further for the in depth knowledge and specialisation in the course can also apply for MPhil or PhD in the similar field leading to higher packages and better job prospects.
Checkout:- Top Mtech Agricultural college in India
Mtech Agriculture Engineering Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate Course|
|Full Form||Masters of Technology in Agriculture|
|Examination Type||Semester Examinations|
|Eligibility||Candidate with Bachelor’s degree (B.E./ B.tech) in the similar specialisation from a recognized university with minimum 60% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Merit Based/ Entrance Examination|
|Course Fee||INR 30,000 – INR 75,000|
|Average Salary||INR 1,50,000 – 3,00,000|
|Job Positions||Breeder, Agronomist, Corporate Sales Manager, Research Scientist etc|
What is the Mtech Agriculture Engineering Admission Process?
Admissions to Mtech Agriculture Engineering are strictly done on the basis of the candidate in entrance examination like GATE or university level examination followed by a personal interview round. Moreover, there are no merit based admissions offered in the technical course of MTech Agriculture Engineering. Let us know about the admission procedure in detail:-
Admissions based on Entrance Examination and interviews
Following is a step wise procedure for taking admissions in Mtech Agriculture:-
- Keep an update about the important dates like registration and examination date from the official portal of the university.
- Check for the entrance examination form on the official website of the examination conducting body.
- Fill the form with the appropriate details and attach the requisite documents for completion of registration form.
- Submit the examination registration form and download the admit card for the same.
- Appear for the respective entrance examination to hold a valid score for passing the eligibility criteria for the admissions.
- Register for the admissions on the official college portal and submit your entrance examination score.
- Check for the merit list as per the entrance examination score and know about the cut off marks for selection.
- After getting a place in the merit list, appear for the personal interview round and reserve a seat in the respective college.
What is the MTech Agriculture Engineering Eligibility Criteria?
Aspirants should pass the following eligibility criteria in order to apply for admissions in Mtech Agriculture:
- Any candidate with Bachelor’s degree (B.E./ B. Tech) in the relevant field, be it Agriculture engineering or any similar course from a recognized university with minimum aggregate marks of 60% is eligible for this course.
- Candidates should have passed the entrance examination to hold a valid score for admission procedure in the colleges
See More: BTech Course
What are MTech Agriculture Engineering Entrance Examinations?
MTech Agriculture Engineering is a technical course in which admissions are done only on the basis of marks scored by a candidate in any of the following entrance examination:-
- GATE: Most popular entrance exam for MTech, GATE lets a candidate appear for entrance examination in any specialization as per the eligibility and the course to be pursued.
- UPSEE: All the universities and colleges in UP grants admission to various Mtech courses on the basis of UPSEE.
- PG CET: PG CET is another state level examination conducted for admission into postgraduate programmes in the state of Karnataka.
- AP PGCET: All the Mtech aspirants with Andhra Pradesh domicile can appear for AP PGCET for taking admissions in any Andhra Pradesh College.
How to prepare for Mtech Agriculture Engineering entrance examinations?
All the entrance examinations which are being considered for admissions in Mtech Agriculture are similar and follow an objective evaluation based upon the basic mathematics, and agriculture field questions
Below listed are some tips that can be considered useful for cracking the entrance examination:-
- Know your capabilities and judge yourself as per the examination pattern followed for Mtech Agriculture.
- Keep a strong hold on mathematics and subject matter along with some basic chemistry expertise.
- Keep practicing multiple choice questions for better understanding.
- Research well about the course curriculum and divide the syllabus properly to have a systematic study.
- Have a strong command of language for counselling sessions and interviews.
- It is really useful to solve various mock and previous year question papers in order to enhance your pace and time management skills.
How to get admission in a good college offering M.Tech Agriculture?
Below are some points which should be considered for getting admissions in a good Mtech Agriculture college: -
- Prepare well for the entrance examination for scoring well in the examination and for reserving a seat in a reputed MTech Agriculture college.
- Practice for the group discussion and interview round with a fluency on language and knowledge domain.
- The colleges got to be selected as per the preference. Know all the requisites of the specified college to take admission therein particular college.
- Keep your work experience handy for scoring good marks within the collected entrance exam and counselling round.
- Keep a track on the registration dates and counselling dates for not missing on any important details.
M.tech Agriculture Engineering Syllabus
Semester Wise Syllabus which is followed by most of the university in the course of Mtech Agriculture is:-
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Food Chemistry and Microbiology||Process Instrumentation and Control|
|Nursery Technology||Food Engineering –I|
|Principles of Analytical Chemistry||Refrigeration Engineering|
|Applied Mathematics||Crop Physiology|
|Fundamentals of Information Technology||Agricultural Microbiology|
|Fundamentals of Agricultural Meteorology||Principles of Agricultural Economics|
|English for Effective Communication||Engineering Properties of Biological Materials|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Biomass Utilization and Renewable Energy Management||Livestock and Aquaculture Food Products Processing|
|Commercial Production of Spices and Plantation Crops||Fundamentals of Soil Science|
|Fundamentals of Entomology||Industrial visit I (Fruit, Vegetable and Floriculture Industry)|
|Food Preservation Technology||Principles of Biotechnology|
|Principles of Seed Production and Quality control in agricultural crops||Seed production technology of agricultural crops|
|Livestock and Poultry Production Management||Fundamentals of Agribusiness Management|
|Farm Power and Machinery||Applied Statistics|
What are the Mtech Agriculture Engineering Important Books?
Below given are books which can be followed while studying Mtech Agriculture are-
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Elements of Agricultural Engineering||Jagdishwar Sahay|
|Soil and Water Conservation Engineering||R. Suresh|
|Introduction to Agricultural Engineering Technology : A problem solving technology||John Solie|
|A numerical approach in agricultural Engineering||Sanjay Kumar|
|Unit Operations of Agricultural Processing||K.M. Sahay|
*Various books and research guides are available for the course of Mtech Agriculture based on a particular subject.
M.Tech Agriculture Engineering Top Colleges in India
Various Indian colleges offer Mtech in Agriculture degree to the aspirants among which some are listed below:-
|College Name||City/ Location||Admission Procedure||Average Fees|
|Tamil Nadu Agricultural University||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu||Entrance Examination||INR 22,854|
|Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi||New Delhi||Entrance Examination||INR 14,400|
|BA College of Agriculture, Anand||Anand, Gujarat||Entrance Examination||INR 12,990|
|Mahatma Phule Krishi Vidyapeeth||Pune, Maharashtra||Entrance Examination||INR 37,500|
|Agricultural college and Research institute||Madurai||INR 33,400||INR 5,80,000|
|Sam Higginbottom Institute Of Agriculture Technology and Sciences||Allahabad||INR 70,000||INR 3,70,000|
|College of horticulture, Kerala Agricultural University||Kerala||INR 18,000||INR 6,70,500|
|Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University||Pune||INR 50,500||INR 3,98,000|
Mtech Agriculture Engineering College Comparison
There are various colleges offering Mtech Agriculture. Below is a detailed comparison of top colleges for Mtech Agriculture
|College Name||Acharya Ng Ranga Agricultural University||Sam Higginbottom Institute Of Agriculture Technology and Sciences|
|Overview||ANGRAU has been ranked 219 in all over India and it offers UG, PG, Ph.D and Polytechnic courses in streams like Agricultural Sciences, Engineering, Home Science, etc.||SHUATS was established in 1910 as is also known as the Allahabad Agricultural Institute.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 14,400||INR 70,000|
|Eligibility||Higher Secondary Examination (10+2)||Higher Secondary Examination (10+2)|
|Admission||Merit Based/ Entrance Test||Merit Based + Personal Interview|
|Average Annual Placement Package||INR 3-6 lpa||INR 2-3 lpa|
What is MTech Agricultural Engineering about?
Mtech Agriculture is quite popular nowadays and can be described in the following points:-
- Mtech Agriculture is a 4 year undergraduate course in the engineering field which deals with the agriculture related aspects including art, technology, business and science of crops.
- Mtech Agriculture caters the knowledge about the technical aspects to identify and optimize solutions for application, propagation, maintenance, and production of various agricultural commodities in order to use them in the agriculture environment.
- Mtech Agriculture is an important branch for enhancement of land productivity, generating employment in the agriculture sector, enhancing the export and providing food security and nutritional security to the country’s population.
- Mtech Agriculture also holds an importance for the entrepreneurs and farmers as it improves their economic conditions as well.
- Aspirants should clear 10+2 examinations from a recognized board with minimum 80% marks in Science Stream.
- Various job positions can be bagged by a horticulture graduate like breeder, agronomist, corporate sales manager, research scientist etc in the agriculture organizations.
Why Study M.Tech Agriculture Engineering course?
Listed are some of the reasons about why MTech in Agriculture should be studied: -
- Successful completion of this course can lead an aspirant to a job in the agriculture and horticulture field in various private/ public MNCs.
- Agriculture students can bag jobs like breeder, agronomist, corporate sales manager, research scientist etc. after completing MTech in Agriculture.
- Agriculture field is a blooming field in India nowadays and hence the demand for agriculture specialists is increasing each day.
- Candidates interested in learning about plant and crop science along with its technological growth in depth should opt for Mtech Agriculture.
- Mtech Agriculture graduates can earn a handsome amount of INR 1,50,000 to INR 3,00,000 per annum.
- There are higher education opportunities like MBA, MPhil and PhD in the same specialisation after completing its Mtech Agriculture.
Mtech Agriculture Engineering vs Mtech Horticulture: Course Comparison
Mtech Agriculture and MTech Horticulture are two extensive research based courses related to science of plants and related technology: however the course structure is very different for both the courses.
Check Also: MSc Horticulture
With a different subject approach in both the courses, below is the table differentiating both on various aspects:-
|Parameters||Mtech Agriculture Engineering||Mtech Horticulture|
|Qualification||Masters of technology in agriculture Engineering||Masters of Technology in Horticulture|
|Course Overview||Mtech Agriculture deals with the theory, applications and techniques of Agriculture field in order to enhance the productivity of particular crop with novel innovations.||Mtech Agriculture is a 2 year undergraduate course in the engineering field which deals with the flora related aspects including art, technology, business and science of plants.|
|Admission Process||Entrance examination||Entrance examination|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 30,000 – INR 75,000||INR 67,000 – INR 1,05,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 1,50,000 to INR 3,00,000||INR 2,00,000 – 6,00,000|
|Top Job Profiles||Agriculture Officer, Assistant Plantation Manager, Agricultural Research Scientist, Agriculture Development Officers, Agriculture Technician, Agriculturists, Business Development Executive, Marketing Executive, etc.||Floriculturist, Pomologist, Olericulturist, Agronomist, Technical Advisor, Therapist etc|
What are the Mtech Agriculture Engineering Job Prospects and Career Option?
There is a wide range of career opportunities open to successful Mtech Agriculture graduates such as Agriculture Officer, Assistant Plantation Manager, Agricultural Research Scientist, Agriculture Development Officers, Agriculture Technician, Agriculturists, etc. sinvolved in research studies. Among the major industries hiring such graduates are productions & sales, public gardens, marketing, research & development, landscape design, agricultural engineering, pest management, etc.
Below is a detailed description about the Job opportunities after Mtech Agriculture and the salary trend:-
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Corporate Sales Manager||Corporate sales manager keeps a track and works on the sales of agricultural goods like fertilizers, hybrid crop seeds, and other equipment to the farmers.||INR 6.3 LPA|
|Research Scientist||Research scientist develops various novel and better technologies, hybrid crop seeds, along with technologically better equipments||INR 5 LPA|
|Lecturer/Professor||Lecturer or Professor works for imparting knowledge to the students in the requisite field. In case of agricultural engineering, a professor will bag a job for teaching the subjects related to agricultural field.||INR 4.9 LPA|
|Field Officer||A field officer works with the farmers and takes care of the Backward Integration Programme.||INR 3 LPA|
|Breeder||Developing seeds and hybrid plants with research and development is what a breeder does.||INR 3 LPA|
|Agronomist||Soil mapping, Product Training, Fertilizer Consumption Pattern, Cropping schedule, Handling Technical Queries, Farmers Education, and similar tasks are taken care by an agronomist.||INR 6.5 LPA|
|Farm Manager||A farm manager takes care of the management and maintenance of the farm. He also looks after the cultivating, harvesting and spraying of the crops.||INR 3.5 LPA|
What is the Mtech Agriculture Engineering Future Scope?
Some of the future prospects available after completing the course of Mtech Agriculture are:-
- Students with Mtech Agriculture can work in any private and public firms like Food processing industry, retail agriculture sector, nurseries etc.
- After Mtech Agriculture, students can work as breeder, agronomist, corporate sales manager, research scientist etc
- For higher studies, one can opt for MPhil, MBA or PhD in the similar specialization for enhancing a research based knowledge base.
- There are also some opportunities for working abroad after successful completion of this course.
Mtech Agriculture Engineering FAQs
Ques. What is the difference between MTech Agriculture and MTech Horticulture?
Ans. Horticulture covers all the technical aspects of flowers, fruits, vegetables and plants, however agriculture teaches the technical aspects about the crops, cereals and other agri products.
Ques. What can be done with MTech Agriculture?
Ans. After Mtech Agriculture, one can work in the private or government sector as a Agriculture Officer, Assistant Plantation Manager, Agricultural Research Scientist, Agriculture Development Officers, Agriculture Technician, Agriculturists, etc.
Ques. Is MTech Agriculture hard?
Ans. Agriculture is an extensive field with a basic field work required. It requires basic knowledge of all the agricultural commodities, its species and technical aspects of the same. However, it is not difficult for a person with a biology background.
Ques. Is MTech Agriculture all about agri products?
Ans. Mtech Agriculture is only about agri products. It deals with scientific level practicality. It gives an in depth analysis of management, production, marketing, and technical issues about agriculture products or any other technology which is used in the same like irrigation etc.
Ques. What are the advanced courses which can be pursued after Mtech Agriculture?
Ans. After successful completion of Mtech in agriculture, a student can pursue MBA, MPhil or PhD in agriculture specialisation.
Ques. How common is Mtech Agriculture?
Ans. Mtech Agriculture is not very common in India but is gaining popularity with time. However, Mtech Agriculture holds a significant importance internationally.
Ques. What are the growth prospects after completing Mtech Agriculture?
Ans. In India, agriculture is gaining importance with time. It is estimated by various agencies that the growth of this field is likely to be doubled in just 10 years. Hence, an agriculture expert is likely to earn more with time and knowledge.
Ques. What is the basic fee structure in Mtech Agriculture?
Ans. The average annual fee for Mtech Agriculture course varies from INR 30,000 – INR 75,000 based on the college.
Ques. What are the documents required for admissions in Mtech Agriculture?
Ans. Following documents are required for admissions in Mtech Agriculture :-
- School leaving certificate
- Transfer certificate
- Domicile certificate/ residential proof or certificate
- Provisional certificate
- Character certificate
- Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribe/Other Backward Caste certificates
- Proof of disability (if any)
- Migration Certificate
- Passing certificate/ Degree certificate
- Age proof
- No objection Certificate
Ques. Is it compulsory to have biology as a main subject in the 10+2 examination for Mtech Agriculture?
Ans. No, it is not compulsory to have biology as the main subject to pass the eligible criteria for admission in Mtech Agriculture.