MTech Robotic Engineering is a 2-year ideal for candidates to delve deeper into Robotics and Automation, developing and testing robots and automated systems.
Know More About Robotics Course
Candidates must have at least 55% in a relevant UG degree course which ranges from Mechanical Engineering to Computer Science Engineering. There are plenty of renowned colleges that teach this course and their average fees lie between INR 1.5 to 6 lakhs.
MTech Robotic Engineering also focuses heavily on Practical and Seminars to make students industry ready. The subjects taught in the entirety of the course start with basics of Applied Mathematics, Robotics, Mechatronics, Kinematics, Solid Mechanics, etc.
Candidates who complete the course generally join an organization with job titles such as Automation Product Design Engineer, Robotics System Engineer, Aerospace Engineer and Robotics Programmer to mention a few. The average salary ranges from INR 4 LPA to INR 5.5 LPA.
MTech Robotic Engineering Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post-Graduation (P.G)|
|Duration||2 years full time|
|Examination type||Two semesters in one year|
|Eligibility||B.Tech/B.E Degree in relevant streams with at least 55% marks|
|Admission Process||A written examination (GATE/others) followed by an interview|
|Course Fee||INR 1.5 lakhs to 6 lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 3.5 lakhs to 20 lakhs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) Precision Automation & Robotics India Ltd., Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Kuka Robotics Tech Mahindra, DiFACTO Robotics and Automation, NASA, etc.|
|Job Positions||Computer Software Robotics Engineer, Aerospace Robotics Engineer, Software Engineer, Design Engineer, Robotics Engineer, Robotics Testing Engineer, Etc.|
MTech Robotic Engineering:Admission Process
The Admission Process for different colleges are different and although many colleges accept a GATE score as the standard, many conduct their own all India test. India is fast becoming a global manufacturing and technological hub and thus also seeing a demand in the skilling side of things in order to maintain the supply of trained and skilled workforce.
- Candidates need to register for the given entrance examination after satisfying the eligibility condition.
- The college admission committee will declare the result and release their cut off.
- Candidates can also have merit-based admission on the basis of the marks obtained in the UG Degree.
- The candidate having greater percentage or aggregate marks in their UG degree will be preferred for admission.
- Similarly after the verification of documents and a small personal interview session candidates will be given admission.
MTech Robotic Engineering: Eligibility Criteria
The minimum eligibility criteria for MTech Robotic Engineering are given below:
- Candidates should complete their UG Degree from B.Tech, BCA, BSc from a recognized university.
- They must have a minimum of 55% aggregate marks in the last qualifying exam.
MTech Robotic Engineering: Entrance Exams
All these entrance exams test for the candidate’s level of proficiency in the subjects such as Mechanics, Engineering Mathematics, Aptitude, and theoretical concepts that the candidate learned in Engineering. After a candidate clears the written examination, they are required to then appear for a personal interview in most cases.
Based on the overall performance, the college or university takes the final say in whether to admit the student or not. The following table lists the details of various examinations happen across the county for an MTech Robotic Engineering
|Exam Name||Mode||Exam Date|
|GATE||Online||February 6 - 7, 13 - 14, 2021|
|PGCET||Offline||1st week of July 2021|
|UPSEE||Online||1st week of May 2021|
|TANCET||Offline||March 21, 2021|
MTech Robotic Engineering: Tips to clear the Entrance Examinations?
- The entrance examinations are a mix of various subjects which the aspirant must crack in order to score well
- Solving an ample number of mock papers is also necessary to score good in the examination and ultimately clear the cut-off for the candidate’s dream college
- Contacting those who already appeared for the examination and taking some much-needed insights can also help a candidate ace the entrance examinations
- Solving last year’s papers is also another effective technique that helps in the final examination day.
- Candidates must also seek help from the Internet and watch youtube videos as it is considered to be one of the effective ways to ace the entrance exam.
MTech Robotic Engineering: Tips to get a Good College
- A good hold on the subjects and theory taught during the undergraduate level will enable the aspirant to score good on the GATE/other entrance exams for the college
- Dedicating a particular number of hours to each chapter is a good practice while preparation as it helps the student cover all concepts and chapters within a designated time period
- It is extremely essential to do a thorough background research about the course and the subject matter pertaining to the course the candidate is running after. This will help in any interview or will help the aspirant have a better general grasp than his/her peers.
- Candidates must judge the college on the basis of various parameters like Location, fees, placement, faculty, facilities, etc.
- They must also try to contact the alumni or graduates of the desired college to get an overview of the college.
MTech Robotic Engineering: What is it About?
- MTech Robotic Engineering deals with application, day to day operation, maintenance and up-keep of robots and automated systems so as to ensure they perform in the most optimum manner possible
- Spread over 2 years and 4 semesters, an MTech Robotic Engineering will make the candidate extremely well versed with all the nitty gritty of the domain
- Many intricacies of modern robotics are covered in the course such as but not limited to- Field Robotics, Autonomous Systems, Embedded Systems, Computer Vision, Artificial Intelligence, Mobile Robots, Modelling and Control Systems
- Simulations, Seminars and Practical are one of the most important aspects of the course as it helps the student understand the complexities and challenges of the real world
- The main purpose of the course is to make the candidate aware of the intricacies of everything related to Robotics and Automation.
MTech Robotic Engineering: Top Colleges
|College Name||Average Annual Fees|
|IIT, Kanpur||INR 2,14,000|
|IIT, Roorkee||INR 5,87,760|
|SRM Engineering College||INR 1,70,000|
|SRM Institute of Technology||INR 1,70,000|
|Chandigarh University||INR 80,000|
|Lovely Professional University||INR 1,09,200|
|IIIT Allahabad||INR 2,80,400|
|Hindustan Institute of Technology & Science (HITS)||INR 1,25,500|
|Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology||INR 81,940|
MTech Robotic Engineering College Comparison
|Parameter||IIT Kanpur||Lovely Professional University|
|College Overview||IIT Kanpur is one of the 1st generation IITs of the country and is known for its Engineering courses. It is most often associated with brilliant research and design.||LPU has not only emerged as a leading University in the North, it has also garnered fame in a number of disciplines that it teaches|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 2,14,000||INR 1,09,200|
|Average Annual Package||INR 10,00,000||INR 4,50,000|
|Top Companies Visited||Siemens, Microsoft, Uber India, ZS Associates, Tower Research Capital India Private Limited, SumTotal Systems India Pvt Ltd, Razorpay, OYO, etc.||Amazon India, Cognizant, IBM, Samsung, Infosys, ICICI Bank, Capgemini India Pvt. Ltd., Hindustan Unilever Limited, Bosch, Microsoft, Morgan Stanley, etc.|
MTech Robotic Engineering: Course Advantages
- Electronics, Mechatronics, and Robotics are evergreen and well-respected subjects and hence it makes sense for aspirants to select courses pertaining to these streams
- MTEch Robotic Engineering course provides collaboration with foreign universities helps in upskilling teachers which further helps the students
- Any student who completes their MTech Robotic Engineering will have an edge in the industry when it comes to a growing technology and manufacturing sector of the country.
- In addition to providing diversity, applicants will be put in top notch organisations after MTech Robotic Engineering course, while the top colleges work closely with the recruiters.
- The available job options for MTech Robotic Engineering courses are Robotics Specialist, Robotics Technician, Mobile Robotics Application Engineer, Robotics Application Engineer, etc.
MTech Robotic Engineering Course Comparison
Below given is a course comparison between MTech Robotic Engineering and MTech Biotechnology on the basis of a few parameters for the convenience ofs students.
Also Checkout: Colleges offering MTEch Biotechnology Courses
|Parameter||MTech Robotic Engineering||MTech in Biotechnology|
|Overview||This course is taken up by individuals who have an interest in automated and robotics systems||This course mainly focuses on the study and research of bio-processes and deals mostly with advanced Biology and Biological Chemistry|
|Duration||2 Years||2 Years|
|Eligibility||B.Tech/B.E Degree in relevant streams with at least 55% marks||Graduation from recognized university with 50% minimum marks|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 1.5 lakhs to 6 lakhs||INR 25,000 to 4 Lakhs|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 3.5 lakhs to 20 lakhs||INR 3 Lakhs to 10 Lakhs|
Also Checkout: Jobs After MTech Biotechnology
MTech Robotic Engineering: Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Applied Mathematics for Engineers||Kinematics and Dynamics of Robots|
|Advanced Solid Mechanics||Robot Programming|
|Mechatronics in Manufacturing Systems||Fundamentals of Artificial Intelligence for Robotics|
|Introduction to Robotics||Robotic Sensors|
|Drives and Control Systems for Robots||Robotics Lab|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Industrial Robots||Subjects of study|
|Project Work - Phase I||Subjects of study|
List of Electives
Following are the list of electives that a student might be faced with during the duration of the course-
|Sr. No||Elective Name|
|1||Group Technology and Cellular Manufacturing|
|2||Principles of Computer Integrated Manufacturing|
|5||Comp Numerical Control Machines & Adaptive Control|
|6||Manufacturing System Simulation|
|8||Modern Material Handling Systems|
|9||Manufacturing Systems Automation|
|10||Flexible Manufacturing Systems|
MTech Robotic Engineering: Recommended Books
|Name of the book||Author|
|Robotics Demystified||Edwin Wise|
|Fundamentals of Robotic Mechanical Systems Theory, Methods, and Algorithms||Jorge Angeles|
|Springer Handbook of Robotics||Bruno Siciliano, Oussama Khatib|
|Probabilistic Robotics||Sebastian Thrun, Wolfram Burgard|
|Robotics and Automation Handbook||Thomas R. Kurfess|
MTech Robotic Engineering Job Prospects and Career Options
- The various governments, both State and Central are implementing Robotics and Automation in various stages and hence it is highly probable that a candidate is hired for a government job right from the college itself
- Since a wide range of industries are covered by Robotics and Automation, candidates with work experience in a particular sector can rejoin that sector after completing the course
Below given are the various job profiles for the MTech Robotic Engineering graduates:
|Job Profile||Average Salary Range|
|Robotics Test Engineers||INR 9 to INR 24 Lakhs|
|Automation Product Design Engineer||INR 6.6 to INR 18 Lakhs|
|Professor||INR 4 to INR 8 Lakhs|
|Robot Design Engineer||INR 8.4 to INR 24 Lakhs|
|Bio Robotics Engineer||INR 5 to INR 8 Lakhs|
|Robotics System Engineer||INR 6 Lakhs to INR 18 Lakhs|
|Robotics Programmer||INR 7.2 to INR 24 Lakhs|
|Aerospace Engineer||INR 4 to INR 10 Lakhs|
MTech Robotic Engineering: Future Scope
- Almost every industry is now utilizing the benefits of Robotics and Automation with special focus on Mining, Manufacturing, Military, Health, Research, Real Estate, Space Exploration to name a few
- Candidates can do a plethora of online courses from MOOC websites and platforms like Udemy, edX, Coursera to supplement their learnings
- For those interested in going in the research line, a PhD. is the next logical step after an MTech which will help enrol in colleges and universities as a researcher
MTech Robotic Engineering FAQs
Ques. What is the duration of MTech Robotic Engineering?
Ans. The total duration of the MTech Robotics Engineering course is 2 years which is divided into 4 semesters
Ques. What is the method to get into a Postgraduate Robotics Engineering course?
Ans. Any aspirant can get into the course by first appearing and scoring the necessary marks in the entrance examination. The most popular entrance examination is GATE but there are individual college based exams as well
Ques. What is the educational qualification to enter an MTech program in Robotics?
Ans. Candidates must have a minimum of 55% marks in the relevant graduation stream in order to pursue a Postgraduate program in Robotics Engineering. In many cases, the minimum marks can be raised to be 60%
Ques. How is the career progression after completing an MTech Robotic Engineering?
Ans. Just like any other stream, candidates will progress through well-defined corporate hierarchies that involve junior, mid-level and senior positions. On an average, the Junior Positions pay INR 50,000 per month while the senior positions pay more than a few lakhs per month
Ques. What are the relevant streams of graduation which makes the candidate eligible to apply for an MTech Robotic Engineering?
Ans. Following streams are relevant-
- Mechanical Engineering (M.E)
- Industrial and Production Engineering (I.P.E)
- Instrumentation and Control Engineering (I.C.E)
- Automobile Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering (E.C.E)
- Electrical Engineering (E.E)
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering (E.E.E)
- Computer Science Engineering (C.S.E)
Ques. Which companies normally come for placements in the colleges that provide an MTech Robotic Engineering?
Ans. Some of the companies that come to the colleges are-
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC)
- Precision Automation & Robotics India Ltd.
- Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO)
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- Kuka Robotics
- Tech Mahindra
- DiFACTO Robotics and Automation
Ques. What is the average fees of a course in Robotics Engineering (M.Tech)?
Ans. Fees range from as low as INR 80,000 per year to almost INR 6,00,000 per year
Ques. What are some of the subjects that are taught in MTech Robotic Engineering?
Ans. A postgraduate course in Robotics Engineering incorporates a wide range of subjects which are essential for understanding Robotics and Automation as a whole. Some of the courses are-
- Applied Mathematics for Engineers
- Advanced Solid Mechanics
- Mechatronics in Manufacturing Systems
- Kinematics and Dynamics of Robots
- Robot Programming
- Fundamentals of Artificial Intelligence for Robotics
Ques. How does placements look once the student completes the MTech Robotic Engineering
Ans. Average placements range from INR 3,50,000 to INR 2,4,00,000
Ques. What are the pros and cons of doing an MTech Robotic Engineering?
Ans. Following are the pros and cons of the course-
- As the demand for robotics and automated systems rise all over the world, it will translate to colleges opening specialized courses which will lead to better paying jobs
- Various sectors using robotics and automation technology makes it easier for the candidate to choose which sector he/she wants to base a career of
- Graduates need to adapt very fast to a highly evolving and challenging industry
- Since it is a relatively new industry, best practices are rarely followed and a lot of trial and error is still involved in the approach