What is PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences?
PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences is a three year minimum doctorate level programme. The programme structure is on semester system and deals with researching new discoveries in pharma or medicine and drugs. Candidates get to design, formulate and test medicines and understand its effects.
The eligibility criteria for the programme is to have a Masters in Pharmacy with at least 60% aggregate score from a recognized educational institute. Admissions is done on the basis of entrance examinations like CSIR, NET, SLET etc. Upon qualifying for the entrance exam round, candidates are invited for a personal interview round where one has to present their research proposal.
Some of the top institutes that offer PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences are Amity University Noida, BITS Ranchi, SVKM’s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai etc. The average course fee is in the range of INR 5,000 to INR 3,00,000.
Upon finishing the programme and being awarded a doctorate degree, candidates get to work in top pharma companies like Glaxo, Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Cyprotex etc. Some of the common job profiles one is hired into are teacher/professor, Pharmacist, Pharmaceutical Researcher, Medicinal Chemist etc. The average placement package is in the range of INR 2 to INR 20 lacs p.a.
PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences Course Highlight
Tabulated below are some of the highlights of the course.
|Full-Form||Doctorate of Philosophy in Pharmaceutical Sciences|
|Duration||3 years and higher|
|Examination type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Masters Degree in Science Stream|
|Admission Process||Entrance Examination with Personal Interview|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 to INR 3,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2 to INR 20 lacs p.a.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Amgen, CellDex therapeutics, Covance, Glaxo, Cyprotex|
|Job Positions||Pharmacist, Medicinal chemist, Pharmaceutical researcher, Pharmaceutical chemist, Professor|
Top PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences Colleges
The top five institutes in India that offer doctorate programmes in Pharmaceutical Sciences as per NIRF Pharmacy Rank 2021 are as follows
|NIRF Pharmacy Rank 2021||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees ||Average Placement Package|
|13||SVKM’s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studie||Mumbai||Entrance-Based||INR 1,25,000||INR 5.5 lacs p.a.|
|15||Amrita School of Pharmacy||Kochi||Entrance-Based||INR 2,00,000||INR 3 lacs p.a.|
|16||Birla Institute of Technology & Science||Ranchi||Entrance-Based||INR 75,000||INR 4.25 lacs p.a.|
|21||Amity University||Noida||Entrance-Based||INR 1,00,000||INR 2.76 lacs p.a.|
|32||I. S. F. College of Pharmacy||Moga||Entrance-Based||INR 79,200||INR 4.2 lacs p.a.|
How do I apply for PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences?
Admissions to the programme is strictly on the basis of an entrance examination score and a personal interview round. Entrance exams, both national and state level are accepted at universities and institutes. The syllabus for each exam will be different from university to university.
The process of admission has been elaborated below.
- Registration: Registration opens up every academic year and in limited seats. Deadlines for registration are announced in advance. An account will have to be opened up using the email id, phone number etc.
- Fill up details: Fill up the application form with all necessary details. Past educational achievements, internships, projects, work experience etc. must be filled out in earnest.
- Submit documents: Documents like mark sheets, transfer certificates etc. are to be scanned and submitted into the application portal. Documents must be in a specific format and size only.
- Application fee: A nominal application fee or a fee for the entrance examination is to be paid in advance. Payment can be done using all major online payment methods like credit and debit cards etc.
- Admit card and exam: Upon evaluating the applications, admit cards are issued to the candidates. The admit card is to be downloaded and printed to be used for the exam. Prepare for the exam and sit for it on the announced date.
- Results: After the examination, results are evaluated and announced in two to three weeks. Only the ones who have qualified the exam will proceed to the next level.
- Personal Interview: Selected candidates will be invited for a personal interview round. One has to bring in their research proposals pertaining to the chosen research topic, methodology etc.
- Admission: Once the interview round, candidates will be invited to take admission.
What is the PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria for a PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences programme will be different from university to university. The general eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Candidate has to have a Masters in Pharmacy or a Masters in any Science stream from a recognized institute.
- A minimum 60% aggregate score is necessary to be considered for admissions. For SC, ST and OBC category students, the aggregate score will be more relaxed.
- A research proposal is needed for the personal interview round that states the research objective, process, methodology etc.
What are the Top PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences Entrance Exams?
A number of entrance examinations are accepted at universities. Some institutes also conduct their own exams for admissions. The most popular entrance examinations and their details are as follows.
- CSIR: CSIR is a national level online only examination held to find out candidates for Junior Research Fellowship. The exam is also used to find out if candidates are eligible for the position of lecturers at universities and institutes. It is conducted by the NTA and the duration of the paper is 180 minutes.
- NET: Popularly called the UGC NET is the national level entrance test conducted to select candidates for Assistant Professor, Junior Research Fellowship positions and research programme. The exam is held in online format annually over 180 minutes total.
- SLET: SLET or State Level Eligibility Test is conducted by the NTA for UGC to find out eligible candidates for research programmes and teaching positions at universities and institutes. The deadlines for the exam, syllabus and mode of exam is different state wise.
|Examination Name||Application Deadline||Examination Date||Exam Mode|
|CSIR||Closed||Expected in Mid November 2020||Online|
|UGC NET||Closed||To be announced||Online|
|SLET||Different statewise||Different statewise||Different statewise|
How to Prepare for the Entrance Exams?
The syllabus for the entrance examinations will different from exam to exam and accordingly the preparation will also differ. However, the following general tips will be useful for all exams.
- Read through Pharmacy basics taught at the Masters and Bachelors level. No advanced material is needed to be learnt.
- Knowledge of research methodology, techniques, processes etc. is needed.
- Most exams have an English test section where candidates are tested on their communication, grammar etc. skills. Sentence building, sentence correction are some topics that can be covered.
- Some exams have a general knowledge section that covers daily affairs, national and world news, general knowledge etc. Reading through newspapers daily will help in this section.
- Past exam papers are available online. Download and use them for practice while timing the session.
How to Get Admission in a Good PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences College?
To gain admission into only the best university or college is what every candidate aims at. To secure a seat in a top ranking college offering PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences, refer to the following tips.
- Keep track of application dates, dates for form correction, examination dates, interview dates etc. Dates are changed often and are announced through official university websites.
- A thorough knowledge of the basic Pharmacy subjects is necessary. These materials are covered in not only the written test but also the personal interview round.
- Prepare and revise the research proposal. The proposal material must be learnt properly so as to be able to answer any question from it.
- Contact seniors, professors or mentors from the same field for tips. Ask about preparation tips and interview sample questions.
- Be informed about the daily news of the country and the world. Basic general knowledge information is needed for many entrance exam papers.
What is PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences all about?
Details about the PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences programme has been described below.
- This is a three to five year duration programme concentrating on researching science and the Pharma industry.
- The course utilizes other branches of Science like Biology and Chemistry to make advancements and new discoveries in medicine.
- There are three research cores are concentrated in this course are: Drug action, Drug delivery, and Drug discovery
- Through this programme, candidates discover and learn the effects of alteration of physiological and biochemical processes that may occur due to disease or genetic variations on pharmacological response. They will elucidate the relationship between the kinetics of drug metabolites in various body tissues and manifestation of pharmacologic and toxic effects
Why study the PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences Course?
The reasons to pursue Pharmaceutical Sciences will be different from person to person. Some of the top reasons why this should be the career of choice are as follows.
- Career opportunities: Pharmaceutical Sciences has a highly rewarding career for its candidates. One gets to work in patient care or research or teaching too. One can choose from a number of options to work in, either privately or in a Government organisation.
- Increase in demand for pharmacists: With increase in diseases and pandemics, the demand of pharmacists has been steadily increasing. Pharmacists are needed to develop and test newer and better options of medicines. With a number of medicines being released every year, the demand for pharmacists to test them and evaluate them has risen.
- Help heal people: If one has a passion to work in the healthcare system and help patients get better, pharmacy should be the first career choice. Not everyone has the aptitude and ability to thrive in a high demand environment like medicine. Pharmacists work with Doctors and hospitals to bring in a quality life to patients.
- Stability: Pharmacists enjoy a stable job life with regular pay increments. Due to increase in demand, existing Pharmacists are finding it easy to advance in their career easily. Most people live within walking distance of a pharmacy, hence depicting the need for quality medicine. Work in this field is plenty for anyone interested.
PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences vs M.Phil Pharmaceutical Sciences
PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences is often compared with M.Phil in Pharmaceutical Sciences. Both programmes are similar and different to each other in many aspects, all of which have been listed below.
|Parameters||PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences||M.Phil Pharmaceutics|
|Overview||Doctorate level course of usually three to five year duration.||Shorter duration, usually one year, PG level course in Pharmaceutical Sciences.|
|Focus Area||Focus is on gathering primary information for research purposes.||Focus is one using secondary information for research purposes.|
|Eligibility Criteria||Masters in Pharmacy with at least 60% aggregate score.||Masters degree in Pharmacy or other Science stream with at least 55% aggregate score.|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Exam and Personal Interview||Entrance Exam|
|Average Course Fee||INR 5,000 to INR 3,00,000||INR 50,000|
|Average Placement Package||INR 2 lacs to INR 20 lacs p.a.||INR 2.5 lacs to INR 5 lacs p.a.|
Source: Official websites
Top PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences Colleges
Tabulated below are some more top PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences colleges in India
|College Name||City||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|Birla Institute of Technology & Science||Pilani||1,10,125||INR 4.48 lacs p.a.|
|Shobhaben Pratapbhai Patel School of Pharmacy and Technology Management||Mumbai||INR 1, 25,00||INR 5.5 lacs p.a.|
|Amrita School of Pharmacy||Kochi||INR 2,00,000||INR 3 lacs p.a.|
|Birla Institute of Technology & Science||Ranchi||INR 75,000||INR 4.25 lacs p.a.|
|Amity University||Noida||INR 1,00,000||INR 2.76 lacs p.a.|
|Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology||Hisar||INR 26,000||INR 3 lacs p.a.|
|I. S. F. College of Pharmacy||Moga||INR 79,200||INR 4.2 lacs p.a.|
|The Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University||Nagpur||INR 32,500||INR 3.5 lacs p.a.|
|Vels Institute of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies (VISTAS)||Chennai||INR 3,53,000||INR 3.46 lacs p.a.|
|Shoolini University||Solan||INR 1,49,000||INR 7 lacs p.a.|
PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences: College Comparison
To help choose between the best college to take admission in, a comparison is done between the top three institutes.
|Parameters||Amity University Noida||BITS Ranchi|
|Overview||Amity University is a private multi campus university from Uttar Pradesh. It was established in 2005.||Birla Institute of Technology is from Ranchi. It is deemed to be a university of higher education.|
|NIRF 2020 Rank||21||16|
|Average Fee||INR 1,00,000||INR 75,000|
|Average Placement Package||INR 2.76 lacs p.a.||INR 4.25 lacs p.a.|
Source: Official websites
PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences Syllabus
For doctorate programmes, there is no specific set syllabus like for Masters programmes. Universities have a list of topics on which candidates can choose to do research on. One also gets to learn basic and advanced research methodology to aid in the research. Practice is also done to solidify the learned and researched theory. The list below states some of the common research topics one can choose from.
|Pharmacology and Toxicology|
|Clinical and Experimental Therapeutics|
|Pharmacognosy and Natural Products|
What after PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences?
Candidates with this degree are in high demand and are readily hired into open positions upon graduation. Most PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences jobs are offered into work in manufacturing, evaluate, develop, research of new pharmaceuticals and drugs.
There are both private and public sector organizations offering PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences jobs available for these professionals. Hiring areas where one can seek out jobs are hospitals, research facilities, pharma companies, laboratories, government agencies etc. From drug design and discovery to sales, all aspects can be handled by a Pharmaceutical Sciences degree holder.
With the average PhD Pharmaceutical Science salary ranging from INR 5,000 to INR 3,00,000, Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Amgen, CellDex therapeutics, Covance, Glaxo, Cyprotex, etc are some of the top recruiters of this domain.
Following are some of the PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences jobs, along with the job description and the average salary offered.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average salary in INR|
|Pharmacist||Pharmacists are responsible for checking and providing medications to patients, talking with physicians, providing health advice to patients etc. They either work in a pharmacy in a hospital or a private pharmacy of their own.||2 lacs p.a.|
|Pharmaceutical Researchers||They are responsible for developing and researching new drugs. Once a drug is developed it is forwarded for approval to the FDA. They work for large pharma companies behind the scenes.||5.6 lacs p.a.|
|Biomedical Scientist||A Biomedical Scientist works in a laboratory diagnosing and investigating illnesses and diseases based on microorganisms. They find out new medicines to treat such diseases.||6 lacs p.a.|
|Healthcare Scientist||Healthcare Scientists work on a large range of duties ranging from genetics to functioning of organs. They work on detecting, treating and preventing diseases using blood samples of patients.||6.59 lacs p.a.|
|Toxicologist||A Toxicologist works on human samples and blood to find out chemicals and poisons present in it. They work on different toxic materials and try controlling the toxicities present affect the environment and other animals.||7.2 lacs p.a.|
What is the Future scope of PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences?
A doctorate degree or a Phd. degree is the highest degree one can earn in India. Many candidates work in some job position while working toward the degree or seek out jobs immediately upon graduation.
PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences is a highly employable degree and candidates are seeked out actively by hiring companies. Even if this degree is one of the highest degrees, but if one wishes to delve into the management side of Pharmaceutical companies, then an MBA can be pursued.
Lastly, competitive examinations are held to hire candidates into Government jobs and organizations. In order to be a professor of this subject, one needs to clear these exams. These job profiles are stable with assured salary increments. Preparations take time and are attempted by lakhs of students annually.
PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences: FAQs
Ques. What is the full form of PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences?
Ans. The full form is Doctorate of Philosophy in Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Ques. What is the minimum duration of the programme?
Ans. The minimum duration is three years.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for the programme?
Ans. Candidates need to have a masters degree in the same field of study with at least 60% aggregate score. An entrance exam score is also needed.
Ques. What are the entrance exams that are accepted?
Ans. The accepted entrance exams are BITS Ranchi Written Test, CSIR, SLET, NETetc.
Ques. What is the difference between M.Phil and Ph.D.?
Ans. M.Phil is based on the study of other’s research work while Ph.D. is about researching new work and data.
Ques. What is the average course fee for the programme?
Ans. The average course fee is around INR 5,000 to INR 3,00,000.
Ques. What is the admission process for the programme?
Ans. An entrance exam score and a personal interview round is held where candidates are required to bring in their research proposals.
Ques. What is the average PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences salary?
Ans. The average PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences salary ranges from INR 2 lacs to INR 20 lacs p.a.
Ques. What are some of the PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences jobs?
Ans. Some of the common PhD Pharmaceutical Sciences jobs one gets hired into are Pharmacist, Medicinal chemist, Pharmaceutical researcher, Pharmaceutical chemist, Professor etc.
Ques. What are the top colleges for Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences?
Ans. The top three colleges are BITS Ranchi, Amity University Noida, SVKM’s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai etc.