PhD Russian is a minimum 3-year doctorate course dedicated to the research level learning of Russian language and literature, both verbal and written. The course is designed in a way that brushes up the lingual skills and develops a skillful understanding of the Russian language in depth.
The eligibility criteria for admission in this course for any candidate is the accomplishment of Master of Arts or MPhil degree in Russian from a recognized institute or university.
There are many colleges in India and abroad that offer the doctorate course of Russian like the University of Mumbai, Banaras Hindu University, and the University of Delhi, etc. These colleges hire faculties and make departments especially for a foreign language to inculcate this course in the curriculum.
The admissions to PhD in Russian are done on the basis of a central or university level entrance examination followed by the personal interview for final selection. Applicants have to pass either the university-based examination or UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) examination.
Some of the top Indian colleges offering PhD Russian course are:-
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Admission Procedure||Average Fees per annum||Average Placement Offer|
|11||Calcutta university||Entrance examination + Personal Interview||INR 2400||INR 3-6 LPA|
|18||Delhi University||Entrance examination + Personal Interview||INR 2300||INR 4-6 LPA|
|26||Banaras Hindu university||Entrance examination + Personal Interview||INR 3,420||INR 2-4 LPA|
|95||University of Mumbai||Entrance examination + Personal Interview||INR 10,438||INR 2-5 LPA|
|-||Savitribai Phule Pune University||Entrance examination + Personal Interview||INR 23,167||INR 4-5 LPA|
The average fees for the entire course vary from INR 2,000 to INR 20,000. The course aims to cater to the knowledge about the lingual skills of the Russian language with all the technicalities and verbal or written mastery.
The course is available in regular mode and this lingual course unlocks various future prospects for Russian expertise and jobs abroad.
The average initial package after completing this course is around INR 2-6 LPA. Ample of job prospects are available after the successful completion of PhD in Russian. Teaching, Literature, Translation, Print Media, Tourism, TV channel, embassies among many others recruits students with PhD in Russian degree. The salary package extension is given with an enhanced working experience.
What is the Admission Process for PhD Russian?
Each university offering PhD in Russian follows a set of systems for admissions of students.
- Mainly, the admission is done on the basis of entrance examination and interview of each student.
- Some of the universities allow the students to appear in Entrance examinations like GATE/NET/SET/M.Phil/ JRF examination to register for the admissions; however, some universities conduct their own entrance examination.
PhD in Russian is an extensive research work course of doctorate level, hence there are no admissions based on the merit basis in this course. Applicants need to appear either in the university level examination or central level examination to register for this course.
PhD Russian Entrance Examination Admissions
- The universities start a portal in the month of September/October for the registration of the students.
- The potential candidate needs to submit the registration form along with the required documents
- Documents that need to be affixed with the registration form include Migration Certificate, Passing certificate/ Degree certificate, Age Proof, a No Objection Certificate (NOC).
- Candidates are required to appear in the entrance examination, either one held by the college or a centralized examination like NET/RET in order to check the subject matter knowledge.
- Once the examination is clear, an interview is held for further assessment.
What is the Eligibility for PhD in Russian?
Below are some of the eligibility criteria to be fulfilled PhD in Russian admission:-
- The candidate should have completed 10+2 from a recognized board.
- Applicant should hold a postgraduate degree in the Russian language, either Masters of Arts in Russian or MPhil in Russian.
- Students who have completed the courses or are in their final year examinations are eligible to apply for the PhD Russian admission process.
- Applicants should appear in a central level entrance examination or should have a valid score in university level examination.
- Practical or work experiences are also considered for admission in various universities.
What are the Top PhD Russian Entrance Examinations?
There are various entrance examinations for admissions in this course. Some of the institutes organize an entrance exam of the college itself and some offer admission based on the graduation marks.
- GATE: GATE is a National Level Exam which is conducted every year online for admissions in masters and doctorate. It is considered as a valid score by some private universities for admission to Ph.D. in Russian.
- CSIR-NET: The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research National Entrance Test (CSIR-NET) conducts examinations for Junior Research Fellowship or Lectureship and Assistant Professors. Colleges also admit students on the basis of NET score for PhD in Russian.
Some of the university level entrances exams for admissions in PhD Russian are given below:-
Important dates of PHD Russian Entrance Exams
|Examinations||Mode of Examination||Duration of the Examination||Date of Examination|
|GATE 2021||Offline||120 minutes||1st week of February 2021|
|CSIR-NET||Offline||120 minutes||July 2020 (Tentative)|
|State Eligibility Test SET||Offline||120 minutes||TBD|
How to prepare for PhD in Russian entrance examinations?
Following points one should keep in mind while preparing for the entrance test:-
- Research: - Go through your entrance exam syllabus thoroughly and follow a time table to complete the full syllabus on time.
- Strong command on subject matter: - You should have some background or knowledge in the respective subject and strong command on the grammar and literature subjects of Russian.
- Practice: - Practice previous year question papers to keep a check on exam pattern.
- Revision: - Study and revise the graduation syllabus thoroughly.
- Enhance vocabulary and grammar:- The applicant should be proficient in Russian vocabulary and grammar.
Entrance examination in composed of three major subparts:-
How to Get Admission in a Good College Offering PhD in Russian?
For getting admission in a good college for PhD in Russian, the following points needs to be considered:-
- Do proper research about various colleges in the area and filter out the best as per the preference.
- Connect with alumni on social media to get a better knowledge of the fee structure and placement pattern.
- Visit the college site and follow the admission procedure regularly.
- Be fluent in the respective language by gaining appropriate subject matter knowledge.
- Make a strong command on both oral and written lingual skills with strong vocabulary and grammar.
- Prepare for entrance examinations well.
- Build a strong command on communication skills for PI round.
What is PhD Russian about?
- PhD in Russian is an academic course which acquires relevance in various linguistic field and organizations
- The important topics covered in the Ph.D. in Russian course include Post Soviet Russian Literature (Ideas and Images), Nostalgia (History and Definition), Russian Women's Writing, Women's Movement in Russia, Women's Agency and Social change, Theories and different schools of folklore studies and a comparative study of Folklore (Russian & Bulgarian).
- The course covers all the aspects of vocabulary, grammar, script, writing and verbal technicalities of the Russian language.
- With this program, students can brush up their knowledge about how and where to use Russian with utmost lingual skills.
- Candidates with a graduation degree can apply for this course in various government and private institutes.
- After this course, students work as Translator, Lecturer, Russian content writer, Assistant Professor, Russian coordinator, Embassy Diplomat etc.
PHD Russian Course Highlights
|Course Level||Doctorate / Research-based course|
|Full-Form||Doctorate of Philosophy in Russian|
|Duration||Minimum of 3 years|
|Examination Type||Semester Examinations|
|Eligibility||The applicant should hold a postgraduate degree in Russian from a recognized university.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Examination|
|Course Fee||INR 2000 to 20,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2 to 8 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||PR Agencies, Marketing Department of MNCs, Embassies, Language Institutes, Schools and Universities|
|Job Positions||Translator, Research Associate, Teacher, Interpreter, PRO, Writer, Language Specialist|
Why should you study PhD in Russian?
PhD in Russian offers various perks for the students. This course is a gateway to understanding a different culture, language, and literature from a research perspective. Below are some points which make it worth choosing:-
- Popular: - Russian is a dynamic language used worldwide. UNO officially has declared it a global language; hence it becomes a popular language worldwide enhancing the demand for it.
- Diversified Career Options: - You can work in various private and public sectors including teaching, Literature field, Translation services, Tourism, Print Media, Advertising Companies or agencies, etc.
- Inspired by Russian culture and heritage:- Students pursuing this course get a close insight into the cultural, lingual, and historic heritage of Russians.
- Opens the door for working abroad: - PhD in Russian scholars have more chances to bag a job abroad, in Russian speaking countries, easily as compared to other candidates.
- Research-based course: - The course curriculum offers more research-based subjects and hence is interesting with a lot of practicality.
PhD in Russian vs. PhD in English
With a different subject approach in both the courses, below is the table differentiating both on various aspects:-
|Parameters||PhD in Russian||PhD in English|
|Qualification||Doctorate of Philosophy in Russian||Doctorate of Philosophy in English|
|Course Overview||PhD in Russian is a minimum 3 year doctorate course dedicated to the research level learning of Russian language and literature, both verbal and written that brushes up the lingual skills and develops skilful understanding of the Russian language in depth.||PhD in English is a doctorate course dealing with the English language and literature. It is designed in a way to analyse text and answer the literature problems with utmost intellect. One has to learn everything in the doctorate course, from literature to grammar, prose and even high level vocabulary.|
|Admission Process||Entrance examination + Personal Interview||Entrance examination + Personal Interview|
|Average Fee||INR 2000 to INR 20000||INR 5000 – INR 500000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2 to 8 lacs per annum||INR 4 to 8 lacs per annum|
|Colleges||University of Mumbai, University of Delhi, Banaras Hindu University||Christ University, Shiv Nadar University, The north cap University|
|Recruitment sectors||PR Agencies, Marketing Department of MNCs, Embassies, Language Institutes, Schools and Universities||Journalism, Academia, Translating and Interpreting, and such.|
|Top Job Profiles||Translator, Research Associate, Teacher, Interpreter, PRO, Writer, Language Specialist||Senior Research and Development Manager, Assistant Professor, Head of the educational department, Philosophical Literature Researcher, Political Advisor, etc|
Top Colleges for pursuing PhD in Russian
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in India:-
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||City||Average Fees||Average Package Offered|
|8||Jawaharlal Nehru University||New Delhi||INR 1,000||INR 3-5 LPA|
|11||University of Calcutta||Kolkata||INR 6,600||INR 3-5 LPA|
|15||English and Foreign Languages University||Hyderabad||INR 7555||INR 2-4 LPA|
|18||Delhi University||Delhi||INR 2300||INR 2-3 LPA|
|19||Savitribai Phule Pune University||Pune||INR 23, 167||INR 3-5 LPA|
|26||Banaras Hindu University [BHU]||Varanasi||INR 6,800||INR 3-6 LPA|
|95||University of Mumbai||Mumbai||INR 10,000||INR 5-6 LPA|
|-||English and Foreign Languages University||Hyderabad||INR 7555||INR 2-4 LPA|
|-||Mahamaya Technical University||Noida||INR 40,000||INR 4 LPA|
PhD Russian College Comparison
There are various colleges offering PhD in Russian. Below is a detailed comparison of the top 3 colleges for PhD in Russian
|College Name||Banaras Hindu University - [BHU], Varanasi||Delhi University|
|Overview||BHU is one of the oldest universities situated in Varanasi with ample courses to offer.||Delhi University is one of the most popular state university under which there are many other colleges offering various language courses, diploma, UG, and PG courses|
|Average Annual Tuition Fees||INR 6,800||INR 2300|
|Admission||Entrance test + Personal Interview||Entrance test + Personal Interview|
|Average Annual Placement Package||INR 2-4 LPA||INR 2-3 LPA|
What are the Subjects covered in PhD Russian?
Course PhD in Russian is an extensive course work with research and in-depth knowledge inculcation in a student. Hence below are the courses including Soviet and Post Soviet literature which are taught in the course: -
|Ph.D in Russian|
|Coursework 1||Research Methodology (In Russian Literature)|
|Coursework 2||Post-Soviet Russian Literature: Issues and Perspectives|
|Coursework 3||Interpreting Nostalgia Memory and History of the Former Soviet Union|
|Coursework 4||History of Russian Women’s Writing and Writers|
|Coursework 5||History of Women’s Movement and Feminism in Russia|
|Coursework 6||Theory and History of Folklore|
|Coursework 7||Slavic Folklore: Russian and Bulgarian|
What are the Important Books for PhD Russian?
|Name of the Book(Literature)||Author|
|A Journey Beyond the Three Seas||Afanasy Nikitin|
|India in Russian Literature||R.H. Stacy|
|Russian Exercises for Indian Students||Hem Chandra for Indian Students|
*Various books and research guides are available for the course of PhD in Russian based on a particular subject.
Job Prospects and Career Options after PhD in Russian
After pursuing PhD in Russian, one has a lot of career options to choose from. The job prospects in this field revolve around the linguistic use of the Russian language. The job involves teaching, writing, translating, or using Russian on various platforms.
Being an ancient course, the demand for this course is lucratively high with career options like private tutors, consecutive interpreters, general interpreters, liaison interpreters, etc.
Ph.D. in Russian will open career opportunities in sectors like Tourism, Embassies, Diplomatic service, Entertainment, Public Relations, International Organisations, Publishing, Interpretation and translation, and Multinational Corporations.
After PhD in Russian, one can also go into the academic field being a research fellow or professor for the Russian language. Below are some job positions which are bagged by a person pursuing PhD in Russian:-
|Job Titles||Job Description||Salary|
|Russian Language Specialist||Must converse fluently in Russian while dealing with clients and responsible for all kinds of communication in Russia.||INR 6,00,000|
|Interpreter||Comprehends and interprets documents or clauses written in a foreign language||INR 3,00,000|
|Translator in MNCs||Translate information from the proposal/sales documents/presentations from German to the required language and vice versa||INR 2,00,000|
|Language Teacher||Teaching and learning in German and working with various partners and sponsors to enhance students’ learning||INR 4,00,000|
|Russian Language Expert||Communicate effectively and professionally with internal and external customers to resolve questions and issues in IT companies||INR 5,00,000|
Russian is a global language hence opening various opportunities for students trained in this course. A fresher gets a head start by bagging an annual package of INR 2-8 LPA. Within some years of experience, the package increases.
Below is a graphical representation of the salary trend of various posts and job roles offered after PhD in Russian:-
Phd Russian Future Scope
PhD in Russian is a popular course with a lot of market value. The person with a PhD in Russian can choose from a lot of options for future prospects and career options. Some of them are:-
- Students with PhD in Russian can work in various academic institutions, press, media companies, embassy, translating firms, etc.
- The scope after Ph.D. in Russian is wide and scholars will have ample of job opportunities in both the corporate world and educational institutions. Also, India's trade, commerce, and e-commerce sectors have a good demand for Russian Language experts.
- After PhD in Russian, students can bag jobs of Teacher, Lecturer/Professor, Journalist, Editor, Article Writer, Arabic Coordinator, Content Writer Arabic, Translator, Content Writer, etc.
PhD Russian FAQs
Ques. Which Delhi colleges provide courses for PhD in Russian?
Ques. What is the perk of completing a PhD in Russian?
Ques. What is the demand of students after completing PhD in Russian?
Ques. How can one gain more expertise for the Russian language in India?
Ques. Which is better: - PhD in Russian or MPhil in Russian?
Ques. Can I start at a higher level of the language if I already have some knowledge?
Ques. What is the fee of PhD in Russian course?
Ques. Can I go for a PhD in Russian without having done MPhil in it?
Ques. Will my PhD in Russian degree help me to go abroad?
Ques. How tough is a PhD in Russian course?