UPES DAT Exam Pattern and Syllabus: As per the official brochure, both the papers (B.Des and M.Des) will be conducted in online mode. This year, UPES DAT 2021 will be conducted tentatively in March 2021 in online mode.
University of Petroleum and Energy Studies Design Aptitude Test is a university-level design aptitude test conducted by the University of Petroleum and Energy Studies. It is a gateway for aspirants seeking admission to various UG and PG design programs in the university.
Highlights of UPES DAT Exam Pattern
UPES DAT 2021 Exam Pattern will give all aspirants an idea about what can be expected from the exam. The details about various aspects related to the design aptitude test like the mode of the exam, time duration of the exam, type of questions that will be asked in the exam, marking scheme, the total number of questions, etc. are stated in the table that follows:
|Exam Mode||Online (B.Des and M.Des)|
|Question Paper type||Objective (MCQs)|
|Number of Sections||For B. Des: 1 |
For M.Des: 1
|Total no. of questions||Online- 25|
|Exam duration||1 hour (60 minutes)|
|Medium of language||English|
UPES DAT Exam Pattern
UPES DAT 2021 Exam Pattern in Detail
UPES DAT 2021 will be held in computer-based mode. The exam paper will be available in the English language only.
- The online exam for B.Des streams will comprise of 25 objective questions while the offline exam will consist of 100 questions.
- The duration of both the modes of exam will be 1 hour. The maximum marks a candidate can score in UPES 2021 are 100.
- Applicants must choose the most appropriate answer out of 4 alternative options. They must note that negative marking is not applicable to this test.
- UPES DAT 2021 for M.Des program will be conducted in the online mode.
- It will comprise of 25 objective questions to be solved within an hour.
- The question paper will be available in English only.
- The maximum obtainable marks in this test are 100.
UPES DAT Marking Scheme
Applicants must know the marking scheme in order to decide how to attempt the questions in the aptitude entrance test. There has been no change in the marking scheme of UPES DAT and it is the same as it was for the year 2017. It should be noted that negative marking will not be applicable to the test.
The marking scheme is given as follows:
Online Exam Marking Scheme for M.Des and B.Des:
- +4 marks will be awarded to candidates for marking every correct answer.
- -2 marks for every incorrect option
- No mark will be deducted from the total score of the student for leaving a question blank or failure in attempting it.
UPES DAT 2021 Syllabus
Aspirants must make sure that they follow the right syllabus to prepare well for the test. The questions are framed so as to assess the visualization and sketching skills of applicants. The creative thought process of candidates is evaluated. The syllabus for the online and offline exam is given as follows:
UPES DAT 2021 B.Des Online Exam
The main topics and sub-topics are mentioned below:
- English grammar: Active and Passive Voice, Sentence Completion, Correction of Sentences, Jumbled Paragraphs, Synonyms and Antonyms, Replace the missing words, Punctuation, Incorrect words and Tenses.
- Comprehension: Understand the contents of the given passage and utilize correct phrases, words and expressions to answer the questions based on it.
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs: Economics and business affairs of the country, International affairs, schemes launched by Government, Political Science, Geography, Sports, Technology
- Logical reasoning: Syllogisms, Family Tree, Verbal reasoning and Analogy, Critical reasoning, Data interpretation, Matrix arrangements Embedded Figure, Figure Partition and Dot Situation.
UPES DAT 2021 M.Des Online Exam
The syllabus for M.Des courses will be of graduation level. This exam determines the individual’s knowledge in their respective field of study. It will be as decided by UPES. The major topics are mentioned below. Some questions based on general design knowledge and current social events may also be asked.
- Graphic Design
- Interior design
- Architectural design and related fields
- Industrial design
- Product design
Recommended Books for UPES DAT
Candidates appearing for UPES DAT 2021 can rely on the books given below. These books give a fair idea of the syllabus and pattern of the exam. Some reference books are mentioned below:
|NIFT, NID & IIFT Entrance Exam Guide (01 Edition)||Dharmendra Mittal|
|NIFT / NID and IIFT Entrance Exam 2014||Mittal D|
|Seeds For CEED||Bhushan Patil|
|Design drawing||Francis Ching|
|Rendering in Pen and ink||Robert Gill|
|Perspective Drawing handbook||Joseph Amelio|
Important Instructions for UPES DAT
It is the responsibility of every applicant to ensure that they follow some rules and regulations to maintain the decorum of UPES DAT 2021 exam hall so that the examination proceeds properly.
- Candidates must report to the test venue at least 30 minutes prior to the commencement of the exam.
- Attendance will be taken by the invigilators or supervisors present in the exam hall, on the attendance sheets.
- They must bring UPES issued UPES DAT 2021 Admit Card with recent, passport sized photo duly pasted on it and a valid photo ID proof.
- Candidates will be provided stationery at the exam centre and must use only that limited stationery.
- They must attempt the questions in the order prescribed as there is a sectional time limit.
- Aspirants will not be permitted to leave the exam venue before the exam time is concluded.
- Individuals will not be permitted to create any disturbance inside the examination hall. Any gesture or conversation between them will be treated as a breach of rules and action will be taken accordingly.
- Items like slide rulers, calculator, logarithm table, pagers, Bluetooth devices, mobile phones, etc. are prohibited and will not be allowed inside the exam centre.
- Aspirants can approach the Centre Superintendent/ Invigilator in the room if they require any technical assistance, first aid emergency or any information regarding the test.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.