MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK: A Comprehensive Guide for International Students
MSc in Automotive Engineering in USA is a one-year full-time program concerned with development and integration of design processes related to control of the vehicle. This course is designed for mechanical engineers and graduates of other related field who wish to have a career in automotive ystem design and automotive engineering. Thus, basic eligibility for admission to MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK universities is bachelors degree in similar field with minimum 60% – 65%.
As the concept of driverless vehicle is gaining popularity, the demand for automotive engineers is also increasing in the job market. The average salary for a graduate of this domain from UK universities is 35,749 GBP (34 lakhs INR) per annum at entry level. On the other hand, the tuition fees charged at top universities is only between 13,500 GBP - 27,160 GBP, equivalent to 13 lakhs – 25.8 lakhs INR.
Why Study MSc in Automotive Engineering in the UK
International students are interested in studying MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK beacuse automotive engineering is an important part of this country’s economy. Thus, jobs and career opportunitis are plenty after completion of the degree:
- In 2019, automotive industry had a turnover of over 82 billion GBP and added a value of more than 20.2 billion GBP to UK economy.
- This industry employed 186,000 workers in UK just in manufacturing sector and an aditional 856,000 employees in other sectors till 2019.
- On an average, 70 models of vehiles are manufutured every year in UK by 30 manufacturers. These are supported by 2,500 component suppliers.
- Despite recent job losses, the Automotive industry employs 12.3% of the total workforce of UK.
- The average annual salary of an Automotive Engineer in the UK is 45,000 GBP per year, which is more than other related fields such as Design and Development Engineers.
MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK: Top Universities
Masters in Automotive Engineering aims to provide the expertise required to meet the modern transportation market demands. It consists of a balanced mix between electric power, electronics and communications.
Top universities for studying MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK are:
|THE Ranking 2020||University||Course||Total Program Fees (in GBP)|
|77||University of Warwick||MSc in Sustainable Automotive Engineering||27,160|
|133||University of Leeds||MSc in Automotive Engineering||24,000|
|251 – 300||University of Bath||MSc in Automotive Engineering with Electric Propulsion||23,100|
|351 – 400||Loughborough University||MSc in Automotive Engineering||23,500|
|601 – 800||University of Hertfordshire||MSc in Automotive Engineering||13,500|
|601 – 800||Oxford Brookes University||MSc in Automotive Engineering with Electric Vehicles||15,700|
|601 – 800||Coventry University||MSc in Automotive Engineering||20,600|
|601 – 800||University of Huddersfield||MSc in Automotive Engineering||15,500|
|801 – 1000||Birmingham City University||MSc in Automotive Engineering||12,800|
|801 – 1000||Staffordshire University||MSc in Automotive Engineering||14,500|
MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK: Course Details
The main focus of Masters in Automotive Engineering iis to direct the competence of engineering science towards automotive arena and provide a detailed knowledge on operational fuctions of a land vehicle. The purpose of the course is to:
- apply engineering knowledge to automotive science for improving the design and functions of land vehicle sub-system,
- increase awareness about the social responsibility of automotive engineers
- provide solutions by developing research competence
- apply advanced-level analytical software techniques for designing and packaging of complex assemblies
Modules taught in MSc in Automotive Engineeing in USA, UK, Germany and other countries is more or less similar. These are:
- Automotive electronics and embedded systems
- Vehicle Control Systems and Automotive cybersecurity
- Advanced Power trains and Controls Automotive Networking and Signal Processing
- Global Professional Development – Entrepreneurship
- Automotive Engineering
- Engine Design and Performance
- Vehicle Dynamics
MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK: Admission Process
Students with a bachelor's degree in engineering are eligible to apply for Masters in Automotive Engineering in UK. You can apply directly via the website of the university. Some of them also accept applications via UCAS portal.
Eligibility for MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK Admission
- A 3 - 4 year Bachelor's degree with 2:1 honors (upper second class – 69-75%) in electrical, mechanical engineering or related field
- Proof of English proficiency
Minimum scores needed in tests required to study in USA and percentage in bachelors for admission in Masters in Automotive Engineering is provided below:
|University||Minimum % in Bachelors||IELTS||TOEFL||PTE|
|University of Leeds||60%||6.5||92||64|
|University of Bath||70%||6.5||90||62|
|University of Warwick||60%||6.5||92||62|
|University of Hertfordshire||50%||6.0||-||-|
|Oxford Brookes University||50%||6.0||-||-|
|Birmingham City University||50%||6.0||80||50-58|
|University of Huddersfield||50%||6.0||-||-|
Documents Required for MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK Admission
The following documents are required to apply to the universities of the UK:
- A Bachelor’s degree certificate from any recognized university, including subjects like Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Computer Science.
- The Student must have a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies).
- Certificates to provide proof of English proficiency-IELTS, TOEFL, PTE.
- Copy of Passport.
- Recent Passport size photos.
- Attested copies of all academic qualifications.
- Statement of Purpose.
- Letter of Recommendation.
- Proof of Finance to support living and studying in the UK.
Visa Requirements for International Students
International students who wish to study in the UK must apply for the Tier-4 visa, which is the General Student Visa.
Requirements for visa application are:
- Must have a CAS (Confirmation for Acceptance of Studies).
- Provide proof of their funding of tuition fees and monthly finances.
- Fill up the online application form of the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI).
- Pay a health surcharge of 300 EUR per year. This is mandatory to gain access to the UK’s National Health Service.
MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK: Cost of Study
The Masters in Automotive Engineering in the UK is a 1-year course unlike universities of other countries which are a 2-year course. This helps to reduce the costs of study and living expenses while in the UK.
Cost of studying abroad can be divided into three categories: Pre-arrival Cost, Tuition Fees, and Cost of Living.
This is the one-time cost incurred while applying for a university. A general estimate of such expenses is tabulated below:
|Type of Expense||Cost (GBP)|
Tuition Fees of MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK
The tuition fees to study Masters in Automotive Engineering in UK for international students range from 13 lakhs – 25.8 lakhs INR per year. Birmingham City University is the cheapest among all top universities with tuition fees of just 12.18 lakhs per annum.
Cost of Living in UK
The cost of living of a student in the UK depends on the student’s education, scholarships, lifestyle, accommodation, transport, leisure activities, etc. The average living expense is tabulated below:
|Requirements||Average Monthly Cost (in GBP)|
MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK: Scholarships
International Students can support their education through scholarships provided in the UK. Funding is available at the global, national, and university level.
|Chevening Scholarships||144 countries.||700 scholarships are awarded every year.|
|Commonwealth scholarships||62 commonwealth nations, Students with 2:1(upper Second class – 69-75%) Honours degree.||Tuition fees, a monthly living allowance, and travel to and from the UK.|
|Saltire scholarships||Canada, India, Pakistan, USA, and China||50 scholarships worth 9410 GBP|
|India- Inlaks scholarship||Students with an undergraduate degree, and have been accepted to a chosen course at a top-ranking institution.||Tuition fees, living expenses, One-way travel expenses.|
|China-Great Scholarships||Students from the participating universities (Coventry University, Cranfield University).||10,000 GBP|
|A.S. Hornby Scholarship (University of Warwick)||Students pursuing Masters from the University of Warwick||A monthly stipend to cover living expenses, tuition fees, and return air tickets, visa and approved language test costs.|
|Fulbright - University of Leeds Award||Students pursuing Masters from the University of Leeds||Fees and provides a maintenance allowance.|
|Leeds Marshall Scholarship||Students who are USA Citizens wishing to pursue Masters from University of Leeds||Tuition, fees, travel expenses, and a stipend.|
For more scholarships in UK, click here.
MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK: Scope
The automotive engineering graduates are allotted responsibilities such as management of research establishments, chief engineers, engine and vehicle program managers.
- Companies that have recruited graduates of this course include Jaguar Land Rover, Lotus, Millbrook Proving Ground, McLaren, and Ricardo.
- Starting salaries of an Automotive Engineer in the UK is 20,000 GBP to 28,000 EUR GBP per annum.
- With experience, one can earn from 30,000 GBP to 45,000 GBP, depending on the role.
- Salaries can rise to over 60,000 GBP for senior positions.
- Automotive Engineers in Warwick, England and Warwickshire earn an average of 13.0% more than the national average.
A student working part-time in the UK is granted the same rights as that of a full-time employee. All the employers here abide by the National Minimum Wage (NMW).
Students pursuing MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK would be specializing in structural design, exhaust systems, or engines. They will focus on one of three main areas design, production, research, and development.
The employers of automotive engineers include car, commercial vehicle companies, companies serving specialist markets, such as sports or luxury cars and London taxis, design houses and test laboratories, etc.
Some of the jobs in UK for Masters in Automotive Engineering graduates are:
|Job Roles||Annual Average Salary (in GBP)|
|CAD (Computer Aided Design) Design Engineer||108,000|
|CAD (Computer Aided Design) Designer||83,300|
|Equipment Engineering Manager||133,000|
|Instrumentation and Control Engineer||111,000|
|Static Equipment Engineer||99,400|
Studying Masters in Automotive Engineering in the UK is preferred by many international students. The main features of the universities are their workshops and their ability to provide placements. Companies like Jaguar Land Rover, British Steel, Bosch Group, etc. hire students from UK. Masters in Automotive Engineering in Germany is another popular choice among study abroad aspirants.
Ques. Which country is best for Masters in Automotive Engineering?
Ans. UK and Germany are conidered to be the best countries for pursuing Masters in Automotive Engineering because of the high growth of automotive industry. In UK, this industry had a turnover of over 82 billion GBP and added a value of more than 20.2 billion GBP to economy in 2019.
Ques. What are the eligibility criteria to pursue Msc of Automotive Engineering in UK?
Ans. A 3 - 4 year bachelor's degree with 2:1 honors (upper second class – 69-75%) in a related field such as Electrical and Mechanical Engineering is required to apply for MSc in Automotive Engineering in UK.
Ques. What is the cost of pursuing an MSc in Automotive engineering in UK?
Ans. Tuition fees of MSc in Automotive Engineering in the UK for international students range from 13,500 GBP to 27,000 GBP.
Ques. What is the average annual salary of an Automotive Engineer in the UK?
Ans. The average salary for a graduate in Automotive Engineering in the UK is 35,749 GBP per annum at the entry-level position.
Ques. Which university is best for Automotive Engineering in UK?
Ques. Which country is best for automobile engineering jobs?
Ans. Germany is considered as the best country for automobile engineering jobs. After that, UK has most number of opportunities for graduates. In 2019, automobile industry employed 186,000 workers in UK just in manufacturing sector and an aditional 856,000 employees in other sectors. Salary of automobile engineers start from 35,749 GBP and can go upto 60,000 GBP per annum in this country.