Emory University is one of the best private institutes in the U.S. It is located in Atlanta, Georgia. It started as a small college known as Emory College in 1836, founded by the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Emory University offers more than 70 undergraduate programs, more than 40 PhD programs and several graduate and professional courses in various fields like business, law, health, nursing, theology etc. under nine schools and colleges. Emory University is one of the best institutes for liberal arts educations in the U.S. The most popular majors are –
- Biological Sciences
- Business Administration and Management
Why Choose Emory University?
- Emory University has 16th largest endowment of $6.97 billion.
- Received around $734 million for research in health sciences.
- Received the Campus Sustainability Award 2018 for recycling 200 million gallons of water.
- Increased base graduate stipend from $24000 to $31000 from 2018.
- Two Emory professors have been nominated for the National Book Awards 2018.
- Emory Eagles, the athletic team has won 25 NCAA III championships.
- Some of the prominent medicines to treat HIV are developed in the research centres of Emory.
Emory University Programs, Faculty and Division
Emory University offers almost 70 undergraduate majors and almost 50 minors along with more than 40 programs for PhD candidates. It has 7 graduate and professional schools and 2 colleges. The nine schools and colleges are listed below,
- Goizueta Business School
- Laney Graduate School
- School of Law
- School of Medicine
- Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing
- Rollins School of Public Health
- Candler School of Theology
- Emory College of Arts and Sciences
- Oxford College.
Emory University Campus and Residences
The main campus of Emory University spreads across 600 acres and is located in Druid Hills, Atlanta. Two other campuses are in Clairmont and Oxford. Clairmont campus can be accessed through Druid Hills. Oxford campus is located outside Atlanta.
It is mandatory for the first year and second-year students to live on the Emory campus. Residential facilities are available on Clairmont campus and Oxford College. Almost 30% of the university population can be accommodated in campus residents.
Emory University Admission Process
Pre-requisites for Admission
- Official transcripts
- SAT/ACT scores (undergraduates) and GRE/GMAT scores (graduate applicants)
- Secondary school report (undergraduates)
- Recommendation from the counsellor and two teacher’s recommendations (undergraduates)
- Three letters of recommendation (graduates)
- Statement of purpose (graduates)
- Resume/CV (graduates)
- Diversity statement for PhD applicants
- IELTS/TOEFL scores (International applicants)
- Translated transcripts (International applicants)
- Financial Certification (undergraduate international applicants)
Undergraduate applicants can submit Common Application at https://apply.commonapp.org/login?ma=92 . Graduate applicants have to apply to separate schools.
Cost and Expenses
The fees and expenses for all both international and domestic students at Emory University are given below in the form of a table.
|Residential Charges||$8274 - $8306|
|Meal Charges||$5200 - $6200|
|Books and Supplies||$1224|
Scholarships, Bursaries and Financial Aids
- Emory College and Oxford College offer total financial aid packages worth $44168 and $36074 respectively.
- Both need-based and merit-based scholarships are offered.
- More than 50% undergraduates receive need-based financial assistance.
- 18% of students receive Federal grants.
- Both domestic and international applicants are eligible for financial aids.
- International students can apply for the Emory University Scholar Program.
- International students need to show the requirement of financial assistance when filling out the application form for admission.
Alumni Association of Emory University has 133,000 members. Alumni association offers the following benefits to the members –
- Alumni email
- Travel Programs
- Access to Princeton Club (New York)
- Access to Emory Libraries
- Gym memberships
- Professional development programs.
Some of the Notable Alumni are –
- Robert W. Woodruff – CEO of Coca-Cola Company
- Barbara Brown Taylor – Author
- C Vann Woodward – Pulitzer Prize Winner
- Alben W Barkley – 35th Vice President of the U.S
- Bill Haslam – Governor of Tennessee