Bioinformatics Course is an interdisciplinary subject that combines the applications of Biological information, tools of computer science, mathematics and statistics.
- Starting after 12th, one can apply to various different, certificate and diploma courses which are of short durations and to degree courses which are of long durations.
- Various research opportunities are also available in this field under different private and public universities.
- Courses at different levels differ in their syllabus, fees structure from INR 10,000 to INR 5 Lakhs, different specializations etc.
The table shows different bioinformatics courses at different levels:
|PG Diploma Courses||
- After completing the bioinformatics courses, there is a lot of scope and job opportunities like can become a Bioinformatics Analysts, Bio-statistician, Medical Coder, etc.
- Top recruiters like Wipro, Biscon, and Pubgene are providing job opportunities with an average salary package of around INR 4 Lakhs to INR 5 Lakhs per annum.
Bioinformatics Courses: Highlights
|Types of Online Courses||edX, Coursera, Udemy, etc. (Includes Paid and Unpaid courses)|
|Top Job Prospects||Bioinformatics Analysts, Bioinformatics Trainer, Bio-Statistician, Research Associate, Application Scientist, Technology Manager.|
Certificate Bioinformatics Courses
- Different online websites are available that provide certificate courses on Bioinformatics and related specializations like Molecular Evolutions, Genomes etc.
- The duration of the course vary from few days to few months with some courses on Coursera are free of cost and some charges an amount of
- These courses focus on topics like Sequencing, Comparing genes, proteins and genomes, Genomic Technology, Genomic Data Science etc.
Online Bioinformatics Course
Some of the online providers for certificate course in Bioinformatics and related subjects are:
The table below shows some of the best Bioinformatics course certificates available online on different platforms.
|Bioinformatics||Coursera ( University of California San Diego||9 months||Free|
|Genomic Data Science||Coursera (Johns Hopkins University)||10 months||Free|
|Bioinformatics Methods I||Coursera (University of Toronto )||20 hours||Free|
|Python Skills for Handling Biological Data||ISCB ( Uganda Virus Research Institute )||1 month||Free|
|Statistical Analysis in Bioinformatics||edX ( University of Maryland Global Campus)||8 weeks||Free ( Add a Verified Certificate for INR 18,251 )|
|Health Informatics : Data and Interoperability Standards||edX ( Georgia Tech)||5 weeks||Free ( Add a Verified Certificate for INR 7,256 )|
|Bioinformatics with Python||Udemy||13 hours||INR 455|
|Bioinformatics Methods & Tools Master Certification Course||Biotecnika||Self Paced||INR 999|
Besides these few courses, there are various other courses available at different websites like on Coursera, ISCB (International Society for Computational Biology) etc.
How are Admissions in the Certificate Bioinformatics Course of Done?
- Admission for online courses can be done through visiting the website mentioned above and enroll yourself to different courses.
- Payment is done most through online mode for online courses.
- No entrance exam is conducted for the admission but for certification, additional charges can be asked for by some of the websites.
- Although there are mostly no prerequisites for the certification courses, but few websites like at edX and at ISCB, there is a prerequisite of Undergraduate from Biology or Statistics or from a programming language.
Top Colleges for Certificate in Bioinformatics Course in India
Colleges providing online courses are listed in the table below:
PG Diploma Bioinformatics Course
- PG Diploma course is a 1 – year full time course offered by different institutions after bachelor’s degree.
- The average fee for this course ranges from INR 9,000 to INR 33,000.
- The course provides an opportunity to work in research fields, training programs in biology, statistics, information technology and various computational skills applicable for this field.
Top PG Diploma Bioinformatics Courses
Top courses for PG Diploma Bioinformatics Courses are mentioned below along with average fees and mode of entrance.
|PG Diploma Name||Colleges Offering||Average Fees||Mode|
|PG Diploma in Bioinformatics||Acharya Nagarjuna University Centre for Distance Education||INR 9,010||Offline|
|Awadhesh Pratap Singh University||INR 21,000||Offline|
|Bharathiar University||INR 21,175||Offline|
|Bioinformatics Institute of India||NA||Offline|
|Gujarat University||INR 18,500||Offline|
|Guru Nanak Dev University||INR 19,560||Offline|
|Shivaji University||INR 20,000||Offline|
How are Admission in PG Diploma Courses in Bioinformatics Done?
- Eligibility criteria for this course is that the candidate should have their B.Sc degree in Science with a minimum aggregate marks and should have the subjects like Chemistry, Physics, Maths or Biology in their 3 years of degree course.
- Candidates with MBBS or BDS and post-graduation in specialized subjects like in Genetics, Microbiology, Neuroscience, and Statistics can also apply to their courses to get the understanding of Bioinformatics and its tools in a deeper sense.
- There is no entrance exam for the admission; one can get direct admission on the basis of their result in the degree course. Merit list is created based on that.
Top Colleges Offering PG Diploma in Bioinformatics Courses
Given below are the colleges in India which offer Bioinformatics courses as PG diplomas.
|NIRF Ranking||College Name||Location|
|21||Bharathiar University||Tamil Nadu|
|88||Guru Nanak Dev University||Punjab|
|-||Acharya Nagarjuna University Centre for Distance Education||Andhra Pradesh|
|-||Awadhesh Pratap Singh University||Madhya Pradesh|
|-||Bioinformatics Institute of India||Uttar Pradesh|
After completing the course, one can become a Molecular biologist, Web Designers, Bioinformatics ‘C’ Programmer, Technical Executive and many more with an average salary package of around INR 4 Lakhs- INR 5 Lakhs per annum.
Bachelor in Bioinformatics Courses
- Undergraduate courses are 3-4 years from regular mode.
- Degree in Bioinformatics is provided through different domains like Science, Engineering, and Management as it is an interdisciplinary subject.
- After completing 12th from science stream one can get admission based on merit or entrance depending on the institutions.
- Course fee varies from INR 1 lakhs to INR 6 Lakhs per annum.
Top Undergraduate (UG) Bioinformatics Courses
Top courses for UG Bioinformatics Courses are mentioned below:
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees||Domain|
|Bachelor of Technology ( B.Tech) Bioinformatics||Delhi Technological University||INR 2-8 Lakhs||Engineering|
|The Neotia College||-||-||-|
|Bachelor of Science in Bioinformatics||Jaipur National University||INR 5,000 to INR 5 Lakhs||Science|
|Government Maharani Laxmi Bai Girls PG College||-||-||-|
How are Admission in Bachelor in Bioinformatics Courses Done?
Admissions in bachelor Bioinformatics courses are done through both entrance exams as well as merit lists.
- Some of the top entrance exams for UG Bioinformatics courses include TANCET, OJEE, IPU CET, AIMA UGAT and JEE Main.
- JEE Main is conducted only for admission in the Engineering Bioinformatics courses in the top private and government colleges.
- Other common entrance tests like IPU CET focus on the overall undergraduate courses of the respective universities.
Check Out: BTech Entrance Exams
Students need to have completed their Class XII from a school affiliated to a recognized board, and should have also obtained a minimum of 50% marks from Science Stream.
Bachelor in Bioinformatics Courses Entrance Exams
The table below gives details of exams considered for admission in UG Bioinformatics courses in India.
|Entrance Exam||Exam Date||Conducting Body||Mode|
|IPU CET||June 2021||Indraprastha University||Online|
|SET||July 2021||Symbiosis||Home Based Proctored Mode|
|AIMA UGAT||June 2021||AIMA||Internet Based Mode (IBT)|
|GSAT||To be announced||GITAM University||Offline|
|SUAT||To be announced||Sharda University||Online|
Colleges for Bachelor in Bioinformatics Courses
The table below shows some of the best colleges in India to pursue Bioinformatics courses in both the science domain and engineering domain at the UG level.
|NIRF Ranking||College Name||Location|
|62||Delhi Technological University||New Delhi|
|-||Government Maharani Laxmi Bai Girls PG College||Madhya Pradesh|
|-||Jaipur National University||Rajasthan|
|-||The Neotia College||Kolkata|
After completing the course, one can look for different opportunities in areas like Clinical Pharmacology, Proteomics, Sequence analysis, Diagnostic Centres, Informatics developer and many others.
Masters in Bioinformatics Courses
Master Bioinformatics courses are generally pursued by those students who are interested in learning more about a particular subject through some specializations. Bioinformatics is one such specialization that a student can pursue after graduating from a science, engineering or management domain.
- The duration of PG Bioinformatics courses is 2 years through regular full time mode.
- Master courses provide knowledge and understanding to refine a student’s skills and equip them with abilities to solve more complex problems.
- Admissions for PG courses are done through entrance exams.
- Some of the popular entrances for Bioinformatics are M.Sc Bioinformatics Entrance Exam conducted by Allahabad University
After the Master courses, one can further opt for a research program for 3 – 6 years to search for new ways that can be helpful in the field of bioinformatics.
The average salary of master Bioinformatics courses graduates in India is INR 9 Lakhs -10 Lakhs through different job profiles like Bioinformatics Specialist, Senior Sales Executive etc.
Top Postgraduate (PG) Bioinformatics Courses
Given below are details of top Bioinformatics courses after graduation in India.
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees||Domain|
|Master of Technology ( M.Tech) in Bioinformatics||Indian Institute of Technology||INR 1,38,000||Engineering|
|SRM University||INR 3,20,000||-||-|
|NIIT University||INR 5,20,000||-||-|
|University of Pune||INR 1,20,000||-||-|
|Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology||INR 1,65,000||-||-|
|Master of Science(M.Sc) in Bioinformatics||Banaras Hindu University||INR 6,720||Science|
|Jamia Milia University||INR 36,350||-||-|
|Amity University||INR 1,44 Lakhs||-||-|
|Mumbai University||INR 45,805||-||-|
|Banasthali Vidyapith||INR 1.75 Lakhs||-||-|
|Master of Business Administration ( MBA) in Bioinformatics||Padmashree Dr. D.Y. Patil University||INR 2 Lakhs||Management|
|Global Business School and Research||INR 1.65 Lakhs||-||-|
|The Global Open University||INR 1,4400||-||-|
How are Admissions in Master Bioinformatics Courses Done?
Admissions in master courses are also done through both merit and entrance exams.
- CAT is conducted for admission in the Management programs in India.
- Candidates need to have completed their bachelors in a Bioinformatics subject along with 50% marked to be eligible for master Bioinformatics courses.
- Certain colleges give admission on merit basis also, after considering the Percentage obtained in graduation.
Master in Bioinformatics Courses Entrance Exams
The table below gives details of exams considered for admission in PG Bioinformatics courses in India.
|Entrance Exam||Conducting Body||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|GATE||IIT, IISc||February 2021||Online|
|JEE- Main||NTA||February 2021||Online|
|XAT||XLRI Jamshedpur||January 2021||Online|
|NIMCET||NIMS University||May 2021||Offline|
|CUCET||Rajasthan Central University||May 2021||Offline|
Colleges for Master Bioinformatics Courses
The table below shows some of the best colleges in India to pursue Bioinformatics courses in both the science domain and Bioinformatics application domain at the PG level.
|NIRF Ranking||College Name||Location|
|3||Indian Institute of Technology||Delhi|
|10||Banaras Hindu University||Uttar Pradesh|
|16||Jamia Milia University||New Delhi|
|95||University of Pune||Pune|
|101||Padmashree Dr. D.Y. Patil University||Mumbai|
|101||Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology||Bhopal|
|-||Global Business School and Research||Pune|
|-||The Global Open University||Nagaland|
Doctorate in Bioinformatics Courses
Doctorate in Bioinformatics courses are chiefly pursued for the purpose of entering the research field related to Computational Biology and bioinformatics.
- The minimum duration of these programs is 3 years, but it can be extended according to demands of research.
- After PhD, students also get the option to become Teachers and Lecturers in some colleges.
The average salary after doctorate courses is around INR 3 Lakhs – INR 15 Lakhs in India.
Top PhD Bioinformatics Courses
The table below shows 2 of the most popular PhD Bioinformatics courses in India.
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees||Domain|
|PhD Bioinformatics||Amity University||INR 1 Lakhs||Bioinformatics|
|International Institute of Information Technology||INR 1.5 Lakhs||-||-|
|Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology||INR 38,600||-||-|
|Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences||INR 76,000||-||-|
|Chandigarh University||INR 85,000||-||-|
How are Admission in Doctorate Bioinformatics Courses Done?
Admissions in doctorate courses in India are mainly done through entrance exams.
- There are multiple exams conducted to get research fellowships in India.
- Some of these include CBSE UGC NET, CSIR UGC NET, JRF, etc.
Entrance exam for PhD Bioinformatics Courses
|Entrance Exam||Exam Registration Date||Exam Date||Conducting Body||Mode/ Pattern|
|NET||16th March 2020||16th September2020||National Board of Examination||Online|
|UGC-NET||30th June 2020||To be notified||NET||Online|
|IBSAT 2020||1st July 2020||December 26-27, 2020||ICFAI Foundation of Higher Education|
Students need to have a master degree in any of the management, science or engineering courses in order to be eligible for doctorate in Bioinformatics courses.
Colleges for Doctorate in Bioinformatics Courses
The table below shows some of the best colleges in India to pursue Bioinformatics courses in both the science domain and Bioinformatics application domain at the doctorate level. These colleges offer research fellowships to students.
What are the Top Job Options after Bioinformatics Courses?
Since software jobs are the most preferred option these days, employers often look for candidates that are up-skilled with the latest technical trends and all other related fields.
Below we have discussed some of the common and popular job roles after this course, their average salary and what skills the employers seek.
A data analyst gathers and stocks data on market research, sales numbers, logistics, or other behaviors. They get technical know-how to ensure the value and accuracy of those records, then process, design and showcase it in ways to help individuals, businesses, and companies make better decisions.
Starting Salary: INR 4 Lakhs to INR 7 lakhs
- Predictive Analytics using Python
- Machine Learning
- Data Visualization
- Big Data Analytics
Bioinformatics Research Analyst
Bioinformatics Research Analyst study the information and data received from the projects based on Genetics, Genome Sequencing, DNA Sequencing etc and helps to design the informatics of algorithms and to create databases that can be used for future use.
Starting Salary: INR 5 Lakhs to INR 6 Lakhs
- Reinforcement Learning
- Graphical Models and a solid foundation in Predictive Analytics
- Computational Skills.
Software Developer’s prime job is to design DNA coding, Sequencing, Statistical analysis of the data originated from the projects based on DNA, Fingerprints, etc. They are aware of all the Molecular tools and Biological structures that are required to work in this field.
Starting Salary: INR 4 Lakhs to INR 5 Lakhs
- Mathematical aptitude
- Problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
Bio-Informatics Trainer are trained to utilize the information to make numerical models, create dynamic recreations and perform design examinations of organic frameworks.
Starting Salary: INR 3 Lakhs to INR 8 Lakhs
- Strong analytical skills
Bioinformatics Programmers are trained with the computer programming which is needed for DNA and sub- atomic science –based research activities and these activities are also required for storage of information acquired from DNA sequencing and genome investigation etc.
Starting Salary: INR 3 Lakhs to INR 9 Lakhs
- Attention to detail
- Teamwork skills
What Skills are required in Bioinformatics Courses?
It’s necessary to know everything about Bioinformatics courses along with its prerequisite skill sets to land yourself a job in this field. Some of these skills have been mentioned below along with tips how to hone these skills. These skills are in-demand by the employers.
Machine learning is an application of artificial intelligence (AI) which provides systems the knack to automatically study and develop from experience without being openly programmed.
- Machine learning emphases on the development of Bioinformatics programs that can access data and use it to study for themselves.
- The course of learning starts with observations or data, such as examples, direct experience, or instruction, in order to check for patterns in data and make better choices in the future based on the examples that we provide.
Top Machine Learning Courses
To build a foundation on Machine Learning, the following courses can be picked up by the students.
|Machine Learning Course by Stanford University||Coursera (by Stanford University)||55 hours||INR 4,406|
|Deep Learning Course||Deeplearning.ai||3 months||INR 3,659|
|Machine Learning Course A-Z: Hands on Python & R in Data Science||Udemy||41 hours||INR 700|
|Start Building your AI Strategy||Kellogg School of Management||2 months||$2900 (INR 2.17 lakh)|
|Machine Learning Data Science Course||Harvard University (edX)||4 months||INR 33,000|
Machine Learning Course Syllabus
The subjects covered in the machine learning course are mentioned below.
|Introduction to different types of learning methods (Supervised, Unsupervised and Reinforcement Learning)||Data Preprocessing and Data Mining|
|Database and SQL||Exploratory Data Analysis|
|Linear Regression||Logistic Regression|
Machine Learning Job Profiles
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Data Scientist
- NLP Scientist
- Business Intelligence Developer
Data Mining helps to learn data mining techniques for both structured and unstructured data in the form of natural language text.
- It includes pattern discovery, clustering, text retrieval, text mining and analytics.
- This communication is attained by the use of a systematic mapping between graphic marks and data values.
Top Data Mining Courses
To build a foundation on Data Mining, the following courses can be picked up by the students.
|Data Visualization||Coursera||15 hours||Free|
|Text Retrieval and Search Engines||Coursera||31 hours||Free|
|Text Mining and Analytics||Coursera||33 hours||Free|
|Data Mining : Theories and Algorithms for Tackling Big Data||edX||7 weeks||INR 54,845|
|Computing for Data Analysis||edX||15 weeks||Free ( Add a Verified Certificate for INR 36,534|
Data Mining Course Syllabus
The subjects covered in the data visualization course are mentioned below.
|Data Mining : Theories and Algorithms for Tackling Big Data||Data and Intellectual Property Law and Practice|
|Data Science: A New Way of Thinking||Data Visualization|
|Data Machine Learning||Advanced Big Data Systems|
|Programming with Python for Data Science||Performance Tuning|
|Cube Design and Development||Administration|
Data Mining Job Profiles
- Data Interns
- Data Visualization Developer
- Data Modeling Analyst
- Python is an object-oriented, interpreted, high-level programming language along with dynamic semantics.
- Python's simple and easy to study syntax underlines readability and consequently decreases the cost of program maintenance.
- Python supports modules and packages, which reassures program modularity and code reuse.
Top Python Courses
To build a foundation on the language, the following courses can be picked up by the students.
|Python for Absolute Beginner||Udemy||2 hours||Free|
|2020 Complete Python Bootcamp: From Zero to Hero in Python||Udemy||21.5 hours||INR 700|
|Python for Everybody||Coursera (University of Michigan)||8 months (Approx.)||INR 3,659 (per month)|
|Professional Certificate in Python Data Science||Edx||6 months||INR 17,196|
|Python 3 Tutorial||Codecademy||25 hours||Free|
Python Course Syllabus
The subjects covered in the python course are mentioned below:
|File Operations using Python||Functions, Function Arguments, and Control Flow|
|Looping in Python||Python Modules|
|Python Syntax||Using Dictionaries|
|Working with Lists||Errors and Exception Handling|
|Decorators and Generators||Comparison Operators|
Python Job Profiles
- Python Web Developer
- Data Analyst
- Data Scientist
- Product Manager
Bioinformatics Courses Online Fees and Rating Comparison
To know in detail about more courses, give a look to this table below here. We have listed the best online Bioinformatics courses in order of rating provided to them by the students enrolled. The fees and duration of these online courses are also mentioned.
|Databases in Bioinformatics Become NCBI Professional.||Udemy||31 minutes||5||INR 4,55|
|Comparing Genes, Proteins and Genomes ( Bioinformatics III)||Coursera ( University of San Diego)||22 hours||4.7||Free|
|Genome Sequencing ( Bioinformatics II)||Coursera ( University of San Diego)||17 hours||4.6||Free|
|Molecular Evolutions ( Bioinformatics IV)||Coursera ( University of San Diego)||17 hours||4.6||Free|
|Conducting Introductory Computational Biology Research||Udemy||2 hours||4.5||Free|
|Bioinformatics||Coursera ( University of San Diego)||9 months||4.5||Free|
|Finding Hidden Messages in DNA ( Bioinformatics I)||Coursera ( University of San Diego)||16 hours||4.5||Free|
|Genetics and Next Generation Sequencing for Bioinformatics||Udemy||3 hours||4.4||INR 455|
|Bioinformatics Capstone: Big Data in Biology||Coursera ( University of San Diego)||14 hours||4.2||Free|
|Structural Bioinformatics Basics||Udemy||31 minutes||3.1||INR 2,400|
|DNA Research using Biopython||Udemy||1 hours||2.9||INR 455|
Comparison of Online Platforms Offering Bioinformatics Courses
The table below gives you some points to compare the online Bioinformatics courses offered by the two most popular agencies, Udemy and Coursera. In this case, we have compared their python courses.
|Fees||INR 700||INR 3,659 per month|
|Duration||21.5 hours||8 months (Approx.)|
|Created by||In house||University of Michigan|
Bioinformatics Courses: FAQs
Ques: Can I learn Bioinformatics courses Online?
Ans: Yes, there are ample amounts of online courses available at different websites. Some of the courses are free of cost and some charge a minimal amount for the entire course.
Ques: Name some the Bioinformatics Free Online Course?
Ans: Free courses are available at some websites like
Ques: What is the duration of a Bioinformatics Course?
Ans: Different courses have different durations like some of the certificate courses are of few hours to months, degree courses are of 1 year to 3 years or can be extended according to the demand of the course.
Ques: How much does it cost to do a Bioinformatics course?
Ans: Depending on the level, the cost of the course also varies from INR 0 to INR 4 Lakhs.
Ques: What is the minimum eligibility criterion for a Bioinformatics course?
Ans: The candidate should have completed 12th from science stream with at least 50 % marks in Maths or Biology, Physics, Chemistry from a recognized institution.
Ques: Is it worth pursuing a Bioinformatics course?
Ans: Yes, it is worth pursuing for those who are skilled with the computational tools and are interested in learning the role of genetics and molecular biology.
Ques: Do I get a scholarship to pursue a Bioinformatics course?
Ans: Yes, some of the institutions like IIT provide scholarships to the M.Tech students depending on their performance and financial status.