Data Science Courses deal with the strategies that help companies to make data-driven decisions, analyze market trends and find ways to maximize profit. Data Science is one of the highest-paying jobs in India. The average salary of a data scientist in India is INR 1,000,000/year, higher than what an average software engineer makes (INR 540,000/year).
The latest trends suggest the rising demand for data scientists among Banking and Insurance (38%), followed by Energy (13%), Pharma and Healthcare (12%), Commerce (11%).
Bangalore continues to create the maximum number of jobs (23%) for aspirants who pursue data science courses, followed by the Delhi-NCR region, and Mumbai.
Aspirants can pursue Data Science Courses Online to learn the basics of Data science or pursue full-time Data Science Courses like Diploma, UG, PG, and PhD courses in engineering or computer science stream. Bachelor’s degree or an associate degree in data science is the preferred education level for most data scientists, along with various Data Science Certifications pursued by data scientists to increase their chances of getting hired by companies.
What is Data Science?
Data Science is a blend of data science tools, algorithms, and machine learning principles that help to discover hidden patterns from a raw set of data. Data Science Courses are different from Statistics courses in many ways.
A Statistician usually will explain what is going on by processing the history of the data. But Data Scientist also uses various advanced machine learning algorithms to identify the occurrence of a particular event in the future.
- Predictive Causal Analytics- Through data science courses, you can make a model that can predict the possibilities of a particular event in the future. For example, data science models can perform predictive analytics on the payment history of the customer to predict if the future payments will be on time or not if you want to see the probability of customers making future credit payments on time.
- Prescriptive Analytics- Data science courses enable users to make a model that has the intelligence of taking its own decisions and the ability to modify decisions with dynamic parameters.
- Machine Learning for Making Predictions- Data science courses can make a model which is a fraud detection model that can be designed based on the historical records of fraudulent purchases in a major finance company.
- Machine Learning for Pattern Discovery- Data science courses also enable models that can predict future events without any inputs of past trends and data, which is commonly known as pattern discovery. The most common algorithm used for pattern discovery is Clustering.
|Coursera Data Science Course||Udemy Data Science Course|
|IBM Data Science Professional Certificate||Python For Data Science|
Why Data Science Courses is in Demand?
- A 2018 report by LinkedIn reported a shortage of 1,50,000 people with data scientist skills in the USA. While in India, around 93,000 data scientist jobs were left vacant. This proves that there is a demand for data scientists worldwide, provided they have the right skills and knowledge of data science courses.
- Indeed records a 29% increase in data scientist job postings every year, reporting data science courses as one of the highest demand skills.
- The pay for data scientist job roles is very high. In India, a data scientist earns higher than a software engineer. Those with the right skillset can earn INR 19 lakhs per annum.
- Data scientists come from varied backgrounds, some come from natural backgrounds of computer science, Engineering, mathematics, or statistics, and some also come from management and finance backgrounds.
- Those belonging to Management and Finance backgrounds find difficulty in terms of competition, but a report by IBM records the highest demand of data scientists (59%) in Finance and Insurance, thus with the right skillset, even finance and management students can find decent jobs after pursuing data science courses.
Data Science Vs Machine Learning
Data Science aims to study scientific reasons to extract meaning and insights about data. Whereas Machine learning is one of the techniques that is used by the data scientist to extract the data. Both the words “data science” and “machine learning” are very popular these days. These two terms are so closely related that it is often mistaken to be synonyms.
|Parameters||Data Science||Machine Learning|
|Objective||Data Science Courses help in analyzing information from multiple sources to gain maximum insight that gives a company a competitive advantage.||Machine Learning Courses specialize in designing and developing new tools and mechanical equipment, to analyzing and improving machines to ensure efficiency.|
|Job Growth Rate (2018-2028)||16%||4%|
|Top Job Profiles||Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Application Architect||Machine Learning Engineer, Software Engineer, Product Engineer, Mechanical Engineer|
|Average Salary (Source Payscale)||INR 8,22,895||INR 7,01,354|
|Education Level||Bachelor's degree- 48%, Masters’ degree- 33%||Bachelor’s degree- 47%, Master's degree- 13%|
|Top Specializations||Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics||Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science|
|Top Certifications||Associate: Data Science Version 2.0, Certified Analytics Professional (CAP)||Machine Learning Online Courses and Python Courses on Udemy|
|Top College||IIT Hyderabad, Columbia University, New York||IIT Madras, Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Top 5 Skills (Based on Resumes of Professionals)||Python, Data Science, Data Analytics, R-Programming, Machine Learning||Machine Learning, Python, Tensorflow, Spark, C++|
Data Science Vs Data Analytics
People who have no knowledge about data science often mistaken that data science and data analytics are both the same things. While many people use the terms interchangeably, data science and big data analytics are unique areas, the main difference being in scope. Data science is a general term for a group of fields used to extract large amounts of data. A more focused version of this and can even be viewed as part of a larger process.
|Parameters||Data Science||Data Analytics|
|Objective||Data Science Courses help in analyzing information from multiple sources to gain maximum insight that gives a company a competitive advantage.||Data analytics courses help organize a company’s data sets, related to market performance, finance, or human resources and tell suggestions that will help the organization perform better.|
|Job Growth Rate (2018-2028)||16%||14%|
|Top Job Profiles||Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Application Architect||Data Analyst, Data Architect, Data Engineer|
|Average Salary (Source Payscale)||INR 8,22,895||INR 4,36,988|
|Education Level||Bachelor's degree- 48%, Masters’ degree- 33%||Bachelor's degree- 59%, Masters’ degree- 14%|
|Top Specializations||Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics||Business, Computer Science, Finance|
|Top Certifications||Associate: Data Science Version 2.0, Certified Analytics Professional (CAP)||Project Management and PMP Certification|
|Top College||IIT Hyderabad, Columbia University, New York||Christ University, Northwestern University|
|Top 5 Skills (Based on Resumes of Professionals)||Python, Data Science, Data Analytics, R-Programming, Machine Learning||Data Analysis, Procedures, Python, Data Management, R-Programming|
Who Can Pursue Data Science?
- People from diverse backgrounds like chemical engineering, physics, economics, statistics, mathematics, computer science, etc pursue data science courses.
- The majority of data scientists hold a bachelor’s degree in statistics and machine learning but it is not a requirement to learn data science courses.
- Having clarity of basics of Math and Statistics like Linear Algebra, Calculus, Probability, etc. is important to learn data science courses.
- Programming is an essential skill to learn data science courses. Programming languages like C, C++, or Java are essential to learning data science courses with programming tools like Python and R.
- Data scientists should know how to write a basic SQL query.
- Machine Learning is an integral part of data science courses, hence knowledge of machine learning is essential for data science courses.
What Does a Data Scientist Do?
- Data scientists solve complex data problems with their strong knowledge and expertise in certain scientific disciplines.
- They utilize basic knowledge of mathematics, statistics, computer science, etc.
- They make use of the latest technology to find solutions and reach conclusions that are crucial for an organization’s growth.
- Data Scientists can present the data in a much more useful form as compared to the raw data available in structured as well as unstructured forms.
Types of Data Scientist
Data Science as an individual discipline has emerged only in the past couple of years. People have been associated with the data science domain, working as statisticians, mathematicians, machine learning scientists and actuarial scientists, business analytic practitioners, digital analytic consultants, quality analysts and spatial data scientists.
The table below lists different types of data scientists based on their area of expertise and the functions performed by them:
|Data Engineer||Machine Learning Scientists|
|Actuarial Scientist||Business Analytic Practitioners|
|Software Programming Analysts||Spatial Data Scientist|
|Digital Analytics Consultant||Quality Analyst|
Pros of Becoming a Data Scientist
The major pros of becoming a data scientist are its excellent job prospects, number one career in demand, the versatility of work it has to offer and the challenges it holds.
- Excellent job prospects: According to LinkedIn, Data scientist is one of the most promising job prospects, with an average salary of $130,000 per year. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 16% job growth rate for data scientists; that's nearly three times the growth rate of the overall job market.
- Versatility: Data scientists can work in different sectors, such as healthcare, baking, e-commerce, marketing, and consulting. In addition, data scientists can work in government, academics, private, and NGOs.
- Challenging work: Data science combines mathematics, statistics, computer programming, and strategy, hence, a career in data science is beneficial for those who like solving puzzles and other brain-teasers.
Cons of Becoming a Data Scientist
Data science is one of the most promising careers, yet there are some challenges to being a data scientist. Issues of privacy, diversification, rapid changes and a general approach are prevalent.
- Privacy Issues: Online privacy is one of the most challenging issues when it comes to being a data scientist. The ethical issues of gathering and use of these data are prevalent and unlikely to be resolved anytime soon.
- Rapidly Evolving Career: A data scientist has to stay up-to-date with advances and best practices in data science to remain relevant and in-demand. This holds true for all professions, but especially in fields like data science, where changes can be rapid and dynamic.
- Male-Dominated Profession: With a 7:3 male to female ratio, data science concludes to be a male-dominated profession. Many data science companies are already looking to diversify, by recruiting more women and people of different cultural backgrounds.
- Generalist Approach: There is no industry-standard definition of work and tasks of a data scientist. A data scientist has to be an expert in machine learning, engineering, statistics, and analytics.
Types of Data Science
Without Machine Learning, Big Data and Artificial Intelligence, data science courses cannot prevail. These three courses are an integral part of data science courses and have major applications in curating data science models.
- Machine learning is a method of analysis of data that automates analytical model building. It is an integral part of data science courses based on the idea that models can learn the data, identify patterns and make future decisions and predictions with minimal human intervention.
- Machine Learning Courses have applications in financial services, government, healthcare, retail, oil and gas, and transportation.
- Machine learning courses are offered as certificate and diploma courses, both online and offline, in top engineering colleges such as IIT Madras, and IIIT Bengaluru and websites such as Coursera and Udemy.
- A candidate is eligible to pursue machine learning courses after class 12th or graduation (whichever relevant) with knowledge of engineering subjects, and 50% marks.
- Machine learning degree courses are BTech and MTech in machine learning along with data science, and artificial intelligence as specializations.
- After machine learning courses, students can become Human-Centered Machine Learning Designer, ML Engineer, Software Developer, AI Engineer, Data Scientist, NLP Scientist, etc.
- The average salary ranges from INR 3-8 LPA in India.
- Big Data is the collection of huge volume data, growing exponentially with time, the data can be structured, semi-structured, or unstructured.
- Big Data has its day to day applications in Social Media, Stock Exchange, and Airports, that generate a huge amount of data every second.
- Several training institutions and websites provide Big Data Courses starting from short term certificate or diploma/ PG diploma courses to long term degree courses.
- BTech in big data analytics and BCA in big data analytics are popular degrees in big data, offered by DIT University, NIIT University, and Vellore University.
- Big Data Scientist, Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, Data Scientist, Business Analyst, Data Engineer, Data Architect, Data Mining engineer, etc are some of the popular job prospects after Big Data Courses.
- The average salary offered to big data professionals ranges from INR 2-9 LPA in India.
- Artificial Intelligence is related to building smart machines capable of performing tasks and mimicking humans. It is the simulation of human intelligence in machines.
- There are many short-term Artificial Intelligence Courses Online on Coursera, Udemy, edX.
- BTech or BE in specialization with artificial intelligence or MTech or ME in artificial intelligence along with machine learning and data science are the degree courses available in artificial intelligence.
- Artificial intelligence certificate and diploma courses admissions are usually on a first come first serve basis or merit.
- However, admissions to degree level artificial intelligence courses are based on JEE Main or GATE scores.
- The candidates can become AI Specialist, AI Engineer, AI Developer, Robotics Engineers, Robotics Automation Engineer, Data Mining Analyst, Machine Learning Engineer, etc. after artificial intelligence courses.
- The average salary ranges from INR 7-15 lakh per annum.
Data Science Specializations
There are various data science specializations that candidates can learn during the data science course curriculum to develop understanding of sub-domains of data science courses. Companies hire employees that have specialized skills in any of the verticals of data science courses.
- Cloud computing is the delivery of computer-related services, including servers, storage, database, software, analytics, over the Internet to offer rapid innovation and flexible resources.
- You are free to pay only for the cloud services you use, helping lower your operating costs, and run your business more efficiently.
- Cloud computing offers many advantages such as efficient cost, speed, reliability and security.
- Not all clouds are the same and according to different needs of the user, there are several different models, types and cloud computing services.
- You need to determine the type of cloud computing architecture that your cloud computing services will be implemented on. There are 3 ways to deploy cloud services: on a public cloud, private cloud or hybrid cloud.
- Cloud computing has day-to-day applications in your life, from using online service to send email, edit documents, watch TV, listen to music, play games or store pictures and other files.
Read More: Cloud Computing Courses
- Networking refers to the connectivity between systems, mobiles and IOT devices. The Basics of networking include switches, routers and wireless connections access points.
- The devices connected via networking are able to communicate with each other and across networks.
- In Networking, the data is exchanged within networks and data science finds its applications in dealing with analysis and maintenance of such large amounts of data.
- A trend has been observed wherein networking professionals are seeking better career options in Data Science, though the tools and advancements used in both the domains are extremely different.
- Finding a suitable job in Data Science is easier if you have networking skills as the companies require a candidate with additional skills.
Read More: Networking Courses
- Data is being created at exponential rates. It includes our social media photos, search history and many other data sets.
- It is the responsibility of the companies that hold such data to make sure that they are secure.
- Cybersecurity deals with the techniques and software used to protect data and systems.
- Cybersecurity data science (CSDS) is a scientific approach to identify potential attacks on digital web. It uses the data-based approach that applies machine learning techniques in order to identify and predict future threats.
- Through the application of machine learning models, the attacks that are committed by code different from the source can be detected. It is called anomaly detection.
- Through another algorithm called penetration testing, machine learning models can adapt from past experiences to protect the data and data structures.
- By the virtue of data science courses, cybersecurity professionals get the information that can better inform them how to counter attacks.
Read More: Cyber Security Courses
- Steganography is the art of encrypting, embedding and hiding confidential information in Pictures and Videos.
- Data is the foundation of any business. The interactions through data remains an integral part of a business. Thus, being able to utilize data in an efficient way, without the fear of being breached, is a major goal.
- Steganography is the major data encryption tool in the IT industry, especially when data is being transferred via bluetooth.
- Steganography is used to transfer important data, such as bank information, customer information, and personal information to another party.
- Due to the increase in the number of cyber attacks, data science companies look for ethical hackers to secure their data from the black hat hackers who are involved with illegal activities.
- Ethical Hackers are professionals who are granted access to the network by the authorities and then report vulnerabilities in the data set and systems.
- As Data scientists work on data models and deal with a huge amount of data everyday, they need certified ethical hackers who can look from a hacker’s perspective and look for potential cyber attacks that can happen to their system in future.
- Apart from prediction, they also work on ways to secure the data.
Read More: Ethical Hacking Courses
Degrees in Data Science Courses
One can obtain a degree in data science courses, specializing in BSc in Data Science, BCA Data Science, Bachelor of Data Science, or a masters degree in data science, specializing in MSc in Data Science, MBA in Data Science and Analytics, MTech Data Science, MCA Data Science.
Apart from a bachelor’s or master’s degree, you can also pursue a diploma or a PG diploma in data science.
Diploma in Data Science Courses
Diploma in Data Science Courses, available in PG Diploma levels, is the most popular data science courses available, which is aimed at teaching the basics of data science courses at a short duration of 6-12 months and prepares the students for finding jobs right after class 10th or 12th without having to waste time in full-time data science courses.
- A candidate must have extensive industry experience to pursue a PG Diploma in Data Science courses.
- Admissions are done based on cumulative scoring of entrance exams, industry experience, and academic qualifications.
- The applicant should have a Bachelor's degree in Science/Engineering/Business Administration/Commerce/Mathematics/Computer Applications or a Masters degree in Mathematics/Statistics/Commerce with 50% or equivalent passing marks.
- The duration of the PG Diploma in data science courses generally ranges from 6 months- 2 years.
- The average salary for PG Diploma in data science courses graduates is around INR 4-12 lakh.
|Eligibility||Bachelor's Degree in any stream + work experience|
|Fees||INR 3-7 Lakh|
|What After Diploma Courses?||Job Opportunities like Data Science Engineer, Data Analyst, Data Scientist, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 4-12 lakh|
The following table shows some PG Diploma in data science courses, offered by different colleges, their course fee, and duration.
|Course Name||Colleges Offering||Average Fees||Duration|
|PG Program in Data Science||Praxis Business School, Kolkata||INR 5.95 lakh||9 months|
|Post Graduate Diploma in Data Science||IIIT Bangalore & UpGrad||INR 2.25 lakh||11 months|
|Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning, Pune||INR 1,200||2 Years|
|MUIT Noida||INR 50,000||12 months|
|Gujarat Technological University||1 Year||INR 12,500|
|MAHE Manipal and Jigsaw Academy||11 months||INR 4,95,000|
|PG Diploma in Data Science and AI||IIIT Delhi||INR 2.5 lakhs||9 months|
|PG Diploma in Data Science And Analytics||NIELIT Chennai||6 months||INR 21,000|
Undergraduate Data Science Courses
- UG Data Science Courses are full-time degree programs for 3 to 4 Years. These are available in the domain of engineering and sciences and are offered along with other specialization subjects such as machine learning, and Artificial intelligence.
- Bsc Data Science and BCA Data Science are the two most popular UG data science courses in India.
- The average course fee for UG data science courses ranges between 6-10 lakhs.
- Admission to BTech programs is done strictly through the entrance exam. Some of the top BTech entrance exams are JEE Main, BITSAT, COMEDK, VITEEE, SRMJEE, and UPSEE.
- Admission to the BCA data science courses is through the merit of the class 12th marks.
Eligibility to sit for the entrance exams includes completion of class 12th with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks. Some premier colleges like IITs ask for 60% marks.
Check List of:
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized board with a minimum 50% aggregate|
|Fees||INR 6-10 lakh|
|What After UG Courses?||Pursue PG data science courses for an academic career, or find jobs as a data scientist, business analyst, data analyst, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 5-7 lakh|
The top colleges offering various UG data science courses in India are mentioned in the given table below, along with the data science courses fee charged.
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees|
|BSc Data Science||Navrachana University||INR 3 lakhs|
|SRIHER Chennai||INR 2.25 lakhs|
|NIMAS Kolkata||INR 1.33 lakhs|
|KR Mangalam University, Gurgaon||INR 3.09 lakhs|
|MRIIRS Faridabad||INR 3.78 lakhs|
|BCA Data Science||Poornima University||INR 3.19 lakhs|
|Vivekananda Global University||INR 3.22 lakhs|
|VELS Chennai||INR 3.08 lakhs|
|BS Abdur Rahman Institute of Science and Technology||INR 2.55 lakhs|
|KL University||INR 1.2 lakhs|
|Bachelor of Data Science||SP Jain School of Global Management, Mumbai||INR 40 lakh|
Postgraduate Data Science Courses
PG data science courses are full-time programs for 2 Years. These courses focus on data science specializations and can be pursued after a bachelor’s degree in data science.
- The popular PG data science courses in India are MSc/MTech/MCA Data Science.
- MBA in Data Science and Analytics is one of the programs offered at the postgraduate level in the domain of data science by only two colleges in India- SCIT Pune, and KJ Somaiya, Mumbai.
- Admission to PG Data Science Courses is done based on the Entrance Test along with Personal Interviews.
- Candidates should have completed their bachelor’s degree in data science or relevant field with aggregate marks of 50% to be eligible for admission.
- Few colleges provide admission based on merit also.
- GATE is a popular entrance exam for MTech admissions in India.
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree from a relevant stream with computers as a core subject.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based|
|Fees||INR 7-15 Lakh|
|What After PG Courses?||Pursue PhD data science for a career in research, or find jobs as a data scientist, data analyst, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 8 lakh|
The postgraduate courses offered in the Data Science domain are mentioned in the given table below, one can also find details about data science courses in IIT in the table below:
|Course Name||Colleges Offering||Average Fees|
|MSc Data Science||VIT Vellore||INR 1,61,000|
|Christ University Bangalore||INR 2,84,000|
|Annamalai University||INR 27,495|
|Manipal University||INR 3,00,000|
|Fergusson College||INR 17,955|
|MBA in Data Science and Analytics||SCIT Pune||INR 13.65 lakhs|
|KJ Somaiya Institute of Management, Mumbai||INR 7.82 lakhs (1st year)|
|MTech Data Science||BITS Pilani||INR 60,000 (per semester)|
|IIT Hyderabad||INR 9 lakhs|
|IIT Guwahati||INR 30,800|
|Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham||NA|
|Sharda University, Greater Noida||INR 97,850 (1st-year fee)|
|IPU New Delhi||INR 1,20,000|
|MCA Data Science||Hindustan University, Chennai||INR 2.5 lakh|
|LNCT University, Bhopal||NA|
Data Science Courses Abroad
Individuals choose to pursue data science courses abroad. The best countries are USA, Australia, Canada, Germany and the UK. Mostly, Part time, Full time and online Masters in Data Science programs are offered abroad.
Cost of Study
|Country||Tuition Fee (Range)|
|United Kingdom||USD 24,000 - USD 31,880|
|USA||USD 18,000 - USD 40,000|
|Canada||USD 17,000 - USD 31,000|
Top Data Science Colleges Abroad
The top colleges to pursue a masters in data science degree abroad are:
|Columbia University, USA||New York University, USA|
|University of Washington, USA||RMIT University, Australia|
|University of Technology Sydney, Australia||University of British Columbia, Canada|
|University of Western Toronto, Canada||Technische Universität Dortmund, Germany|
|Hochschule Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences, Germany||Imperial College London, UK|
|University College London, UK||University of Warwick, UK|
Data Science Certifications
Data Science Courses Certification is a short-term course that helps in either enhancing the required skills for Data Science or understanding the basics of Data Science courses.
- Data Science Courses Certification is available both online as well as offline. Most online courses are self-paced and hence are pursued by many students to learn the basics of Data Science.
- Data Science Courses Certification is available at top websites like Coursera, Udemy, UpGrad at a very nominal fee of 10,000 – 50,000 while some websites also offer Online Data Science Courses Free of cost.
- There are no eligibility criteria and even no age limit to pursue these Data Science Courses, you can directly apply to the website and pay the course fee to start with the data science courses certification.
The average salary for students completing data science courses certification ranges from INR 3-5 lakh in the initial phase.
|Duration||3 months to 1 year|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized board|
|What After Certificate Courses?||Higher degree courses, or better job opportunities as Data Analyst, Data Science Engineer, Data Scientist, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 3-5 lakh|
Various data science courses online as well as offline through various learning platforms are mentioned in the table below.
|IBM Data Science Professional Certification||Coursera||10 months||INR 2,912|
|Applied Data Science with Python||Coursera||5 months||Free|
|HarvardX’s Data Science Professional Certificate||edX||1 year 5 months||INR 33,000|
|Amazon AWS Big Data Certification||AWS||170 minutes||INR 22,500|
|Data Curation Professional||SAS Academy||3-18 months||INR 18,700|
|Data Science Certification Course Using R||Edureka||5 weeks||INR 22,409|
|Elements of Data Science||RICEx||6 months||INR 47,998|
|Business Analytics and Data Science Courses||IMS Proschool Pvt. Ltd., Delhi||1-3 months||INR 50,000 to 1 lakh|
|Graduate Certificate Program in Data Science & Engineering (Big Data and Visual Analytics)||SP Jain School of Global Management, Mumbai||24 months||INR 5 lakh|
Best Colleges for Data Science
Some of the best colleges for data science courses are mentioned below in the table. They offer various data science courses.
|College Name||Average Fee|
|IIT Hyderabad||INR 9,00,000|
|IIM Calcutta||INR 3,60,000|
|ISI Kolkata||INR 10,00,000|
|Manipal Academy Of Higher Education||INR 4,95,000|
|IIT Guwahati||INR 30,800|
|Symbiosis Centre For Information Technology||INR 13,65,000|
|SP Jain School Of Global Management||INR 40,00,000|
Data Science Course Syllabus
Since Data Science Courses are offered at various levels, and in so many specializations, the data science course syllabus for each of the courses will vary. However, there is a list of common data science subjects that are thought in every data science courses:
|Introduction to Data Science||Statistical Foundations for Data Science|
|Mathematics and Statistics||Coding|
|Domain Expertise||Machine Learning Algorithms|
|Data Analysis||Data Wrangling|
|Data Visualization||Data Structures and Algorithms|
|Scientific Computing||Optimization Techniques|
|Experimentation, Evaluation and Project Deployment Tools||Predictive Analytics and Segmentation using Clustering|
|Exploratory Data Analysis||Business Acumen & Artificial Intelligence|
|Matrix Computations||Scholastic Models|
Data Science Books & Study Material
The top data science courses books and study material recommended by top data science professionals are mentioned below:
|Think Bayes - Bayesian Statistics Made Simple||Allen B Downey|
|Python Data Science Handbook||Jake VanderPlas|
|Think Python||Allen B Downey|
|R for Data Science||Garret Grolemund and Hadley Wickham|
|Advanced R||Hadley Wickham|
|Introduction to Statistical Learning||Gareth James, Daniela Witten, Trevor Hastie, and Robert Tibshirani|
|The Elements of Statistical Learning||Trevor Hastie, Robert Tibshirani, Jerome Friedman|
|Understanding Machine Learning- From Theory to Algorithms||Shai Shalev-Shwartz and Shai Ben-David|
|Mining of Massive Datasets||Jure Leskovec, Anand Rajaraman, Jeff Ullman|
|Deep Learning||Ian Goodfellow, Yoshua Bengio, and Aaron Courville|
|Bayesian Methods for Hackers||Cam Davidson - Pilon|
|Think Stats||Allen B Downey|
Online vs On-Campus Data Science Courses
|Parameters||Online Data Science Programs||On-Campus Data Science Programs|
|Self-Discipline||It requires a greater deal of motivation and self discipline to attend all classes and do the assignments on time.||Requires less effort and self motivation to do all the assignments and attend classes, as they have already deadlines to do so.|
|Social Interaction||Less Social Interaction||Provides a traditional college experience.|
|Cost||Less Course Fee||Higher Course Fee, plus other expenses such as Rent, Hostel Fee, or Accomodation Fee|
|Lab Work||No||You have the access to research labs to carry out all types of experiments and research.|
|Accreditation||Employers give less weightage to online degrees when it comes to accreditation||Employers prefer those candidates who have an on-campus data science degree.|
Full-time vs Part-time Data Science Courses
|Parameters||Full-time Data Science Programs||Part-time Data Science Programs|
|Duration||It takes 1-2 years to complete||It takes 2.5-3 years to complete|
|Practical Exposure||Complete first-hand experience can be gained throughout course duration.||They also come with a number of projects, the less time factor brings about the difference in the exposure gained compared to that of a full-time course.|
|Extensive Course Curriculum||Subjects are covered in a detailed manner.||Part-time courses only go through the basics of data science.|
|Flexibility||No Flexibility||You can pursue part-time courses along with your job.|
|Example||MSc in Data Science by VIT Vellore||MSc in Data Science by Tufts University, USA|
Skills Required for Data Scientist
|Expertise in programming languages such as R Programming, Python, Hadoop, MATLAB, SQL Database.||Interest in making new discoveries and learning new things|
|Ingenuity to solve hard problems and clarity of thinking||Good critical thinking using numerical skill|
|Good communication and presentation skills||Immense intellectual curiosity|
|Algorithmic thinker||Passion for problem solving|
|Strategic business intuition||Expertise in concepts of statistics such as Probability, Skewness, percentiles and other fundamentals of Statistics|
Jobs After Data Science Courses
Data Science Courses attract a lot of candidates as the future scope in data science is immense. There’s a lot of demand in the industry for the different roles of Data Science.
Below are some of the common and popular job roles that candidates can expect after data science courses.
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Data Scientist||INR 7-8 LPA|
|Application Architect||INR 4-6 LPA|
|Business Intelligence Developer||INR 4.5-6.5 LPA|
|Machine Learning Engineer||INR 5-11 LPA|
|Data Architect||INR 7-10 LPA|
Top Data Science Recruiters
|Mercedes Benz Research and development||JP morgan|
|Airtel X Labs||-|
Data Science Courses: FAQs
Ques. Does one need to complete all of the data science courses within a single course run to earn the professional certificate?
Ans. No, you can complete data science courses across multiple runs also.
Ques. What are the most valuable skills for a data scientist while pursuing data science courses?
Ans. The following skills are crucial for a data scientist role when he pursues data science courses:
- In-depth knowledge of Hadoop
Ques. What is the average salary of a data scientist after data science courses?
Ans. The average salary for a data scientist in India is INR 8 lakh per annum in 2020, according to PayScale. Data Scientists are at the moment gaining from the big data trend with analytics professionals making 26% higher as compared to an average software engineer in India after graduating from data science courses.
Ques. What are the best algorithms that data science courses professionals should know?
Ans. The top five most popular algorithms that all data science courses aspirants should know are:
- Logistic Regression
- K-Nearest Neighbors
- Naive Bayes
- Support Vector Machines
- Random Forest
Ques. How to prepare for a data science courses interview?
Ans. An aspirant pursuing data science courses is expected to prepare across multiple fronts like:
- Build a portfolio of projects and MOOCs
- Network with peers and stay up-to-date with who’s who, follow trends
- Learn about the position that you are applying for
- Go through questions asked in previous interviews
Ques. Do data scientists need to be story-tellers?
Ans. As data gets profounder and further complex, it becomes imperative to bring in simplicity in it. Storytelling helps in getting this simplicity by drawing attention from listeners and readers alike. Stories also incite thoughts and put out profound insights.
Ques. Why do data science courses require Math?
Ans. For pursuing Data Science courses, one needs a strong experience in mathematics along with basic knowledge of statistics. The boom in this field necessitates growth in executive statistics and maths skills. Some of the core concepts anticipated from a business analyst are causation, correlation, and how to statistically test hypotheses. Some knowledge of linear algebra and calculus is unquestionably required.
Ques. Who is eligible for data science courses?
Ans. Students can pursue data science courses after passing class 10+2. For admissions in UG Data Science Courses, 50% marks in class 12th whereas for PG Data Science Courses, 50% marks in graduation in engineering or related streams are required.
Ques. What are the important subjects in the data science courses syllabus?
Ans. Tableau, R programming, Python, Statistics, Artificial Intelligence are the important core subjects included in data science courses syllabus.
Ques. What are some of the best data science online courses?
Ans. IBM Data Science Professional Certificate, Data Science Courses on Coursera, Udemy, and Python for Data Science Courses are some of the best Data Science Courses Online.
Ques. What are the best sites to learn Data Science courses?
Ans. Coursera, Udemy, edX, Google are some of the best sites to learn about Data Science courses.
Ques. Is Data Science course still in demand in 2021?
Ans. Yes, Data Science course has always been and is still in demand in 2021.
Ques. Are UpGrad data science courses worth it?
Ans. Yes, Data science courses by Upgrad is totally worth your time as it offers a chance to learn about data science courses in much less time than any full-time UG and PG data science courses and offers a certificate of completion at the end.
Ques. Which is the best institute to pursue Data Science courses in Bangalore?
Ans. IIIT Bangalore, in collaboration with UpGrad offers Post Graduate Diploma in Data Science courses at a cost of INR 2.25 Lakhs for a duration of 11 months.
Ques. In which IITs there are Data Science Courses?
Ans. IIT Hyderabad offers MTech in Data Science courses, whereas IIT Kharagpur offers Data Analytics Course.
Ques. Is Udacity data science course worth it?
Ans. Yes, Udacity data science courses are perfect as they have a concise content with major focus on practice and exercises. They keep their content updated, as per latest trends.
Ques. Which data science course would you recommend for beginners?
Ans. There are plenty of data science courses for beginners on coursera that are perfect for beginners.