Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management is a diploma course at the postgraduate level.
PGD Hotel Management duration of the course is 1 to 2 years and further divided into 2 to 4 semesters. Few colleges also follow a non-semester curriculum pattern.
Students who completed graduate-level degrees are eligible to apply for PGD Hotel Management.
Know More About Hotel Management Courses
In PGD Hotel Management students learn skills related to the hospitality industry, operations, food and beverage preparation, and management of personnel and resources.
The course helps students to learn fundamental principles of the hotel and hospitality industry. They can professionally grow their career in the industry.
The students get lucrative opportunities around the globe in the hotel industry and management. Students can go for higher studies like PhD courses in hotel management.
PGD Hotel Management: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full form||Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management|
|Duration||1 to 2 years|
|Examination type||Semester/ Non semester|
|Eligibility||Candidates must have completed any graduate degree to be eligible to apply for the course. Some may have to write entrance exams.|
|Admission process||Entrance Exam/Merit-based|
|Average Course fee||INR 10,000 to 2 lacs per annum (depending upon college selected)|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2.5 to 10 LPA per annum (depending upon experience and exposure in the field)|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Catering and Service, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Airline Catering and Cabin services|
|Job Positions||Executive Chef, Shift Manager, Restaurant Manager, Chef, Sales Manager, Account Executive, Food and Beverage Manager, Bar Manager|
PGD Hotel Management: Admission Process
The admission to the course is based on merit and the candidate’s performance in the entrance test.
Below is the admission process for the admission for the course:
- Step 1: Registration: The aspiring students have to register their profiles in the college online or offline. They can visit the online application form on the college website or collect the forms directly from the education counsellors on the college campus. They have to fill the application form and pay the application form fee.
- Step 2: Entrance examination: The college or institute would conduct the entrance examination and the administration announces important dates. The institute provides details like Test id or Online Aptitude test ID and password to all the students. The students have to submit this before attending the examination. Post completion of the examination, the college announces the result in 2 - 4 weeks.
- Step 3: Personal Interview: The institute or college will conduct a personal interview for those who clear the entrance examination. The institute can take the interview personally or via telephone or video conference. The interviewer or counsellor will analyze each interviewee’s response and decide the next step.
- Step 4: Result Declaration: The college administration communicates the results of the interviews to students in another 1 week's time either by announcing in the college itself or by sending emails to the registered email address of the students.
- Step 5: Admission Confirmation: The selected students must visit the college campus for document verification. The applicants have to pay the admission fee and submit all the necessary documents to the administration. Once the document is submitted, the college administration will verify the document and approve the admission.
PGD Hotel Management: Eligibility Criteria
- The candidate must have completed a graduate degree in any stream of any discipline from an institute registered or recognized by the Government of India.
- Based on the college selected, the Candidate might have to write the entrance exam or attend a personal interview at the desired college.
PGD Hotel Management: Entrance Exams
Admission to the course is based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test, and subsequent round of counselling. Certain entrance exams that are conducted by these colleges are:
- NCHMCT JEE
- DTE HMCT
- IIHM Entrance Exam
|Exam Name||Registration End Date||Exam Date||Mode of Exam|
|NCHMCT JEE||May 10, 2021||June 12, 2021||Online|
|UGAT||To be notified||To be notified||Online|
|DTE HMCT||To be notified||To be notified||Online|
|IIHM Entrance Exam||To be notified||To be notified||Offline|
PGD Hotel Management: What is it about?
Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management is an advanced professional degree that enables students to gain skills in operational aspects of the hospitality industry and fundamentals of the hospital industry. The students learn theoretical and practical skills in food and beverages along with gaining expertise in managing the hotel industry.
- The students trained in subjects such as hospitality, housekeeping, relationship management, food and beverages management, catering, and account.
- The students learn in-depth industry experience along with enhancing professional skills in commitment, ownership, punctuality, discipline, and teamwork.
- The students can get into business areas such as catering and service, hotel and restaurant management, airline catering, and cabin services. Cruise ship hospitality and club management.
Why Study Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management?
- Benefits: The course helps the candidates to gain expertise in the hospitality and tourism industry. The students learn skills such as food and beverage preparation, maintenance and cleaning, food service, and management. The students also develop skills like leadership, teamwork, adaptability, accountability, and interpersonal skills.
- Multiple job opportunities: The students who take up the course will have a wide range of career opportunities in the hotel industry. They can apply for opportunities to become a chef, catering manager, or a catering manager as well. This course is also beneficial for the ones who want to become entrepreneurs as well.
- Further studies: The students who want to gain more knowledge, will have the option to do PhD in Hospitality management or hotel management.
Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management: Top colleges
Tabulated below is the list of top institutes offering this course in India with the corresponding locations and fees charged by the respective colleges.
|College Name||Average Annual Fees|
|Acharya Nagarjuna University DDE, Andhra Pradesh||10,365/-|
|Institute of Hotel Management, Catering & Nutrition||74,900/-|
|Xavier College of Hotel Management, Cuttack||-|
PGD Hotel Management: College Comparison
|Parameter||Acharya Nagarjuna University, Centre For Distance Education||Institute of Hotel Management, Catering & Nutrition|
|Overview||The Centre for Distance Education, Acharya Nagarjuna University offers seven UG & PG courses under its academic curriculum along with several PG Diploma and certificate program. Admission to the courses is given provisionally on the basis of the certificates enclosed with the application.||The Institute of Hotel Management, Catering & Nutrition is one of the premier hospitality Institutes located in Pusa, New Delhi and was set up in 1962.|
|Location||Guntur, Andhra Pradesh||Pusa, New Delhi|
|Admission Process||Merit based||Merit based|
|Average Fees||INR 74,900||INR 5,420|
|INR 2 lacs|
|The Park, The Oberoi Hotels & Resorts, Starbucks, McDonald’s, Marriot, Lemon Tree, Tommy Hilfiger, IHG and more.|
Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management: Course Comparison
PGD Hotel Management vs PGD Travel and Tourism Management
|Parameters||PGD Hotel Management||PGD Travel and Tourism Management|
|Duration||1 to 2 years||1 to 2 years|
|Overviews||PGD Hotel Management is a post-graduate diploma course that deals with the study of the fundamentals of hotel management. The students get theoretical and practical learning in food and beverage preparation, housekeeping, management. It is usually offered by private universities.||PGD Travel and Tourism Management is a postgraduate diploma course that deals with the study of the travel and tourism industry. The students get academic training in travel management, Airline marketing, cultural travel, and heritage. It is usually offered by private universities.|
|Admission Criteria||General level entrance examination.||General level entrance examination.|
|Eligibility Criteria||Graduate in any stream from a recognized university||Graduate in any stream from a recognized university|
|Average Course Fees/ year||INR 10,000 to INR 50,000||INR50,000 to INR 1,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Catering and Service, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Airline catering and Cabin services||Travel and tourism companies, Airlines, Online travel website, Travel agencies, Digital marketing companies|
|Job Positions||Executive Chef, Shift Manager, Restaurant Manager, Sales Manager, Account Executive, Food and Beverage Manager, Bar Manager||Travel Agents, Sales and Marketing staff, Tour PLanners and guides, Tour operators, Market Researcher, Relationship Managers|
|Average Placement Package||INR 2.5 to 10 LPA (depending upon experience and exposure in the field)||INR 2,50,000 to INR 8,00,000 LPA (depending upon experience and exposure in the field)|
PGD Hotel Management: Course Syllabus
Tabulated below is the core course syllabus of Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management.
|Food and Beverage Production|
|Front Office Management|
|Nutrition and Food Hygiene|
|Kitchen Operations Management|
|IT for Hotel Industry|
PGD Hotel Management: Job Profiles
Successful post-graduate students get opportunities in the hotel management industry. They get to work in roles like Executive Chef, Shift Manager, Restaurant Manager, Sales Manager, Account Executive, Food and Beverage Manager, Bar Manager. The students can also pursue further advanced courses in PhD in Hotel management.
Here are some of the popular professional roles open to successful Postgraduate students are listed below along with details.
|Job Roles||Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Executive Chef||The executive chefs guide the employees on how to run the kitchen, delegate tasks, ensure the quality of food and beverages prepared in the kitchens.||INR 2,30,000 to INR 20,00,000|
|Shift Manager||The shift managers check the functions of the hotel's front desks. They act as the face of the hotel and ensure the customers' check-in, accommodation, and facilities. They look after accounts and billing as well.||INR 1,30,000 to INR 4,50,000|
|Restaurant Manager||Restaurant Managers handle overall operations of the hotel and their roles and responsibilities include restaurant marketing strategies, recruiting, hiring staff, developing menus, and getting feedback from guests on the service.||INR 2,33,000 to INR 7,00,000|
|Sales Manager||Sales Managers' role is to increase the revenue by selling services to more customers. They are responsible for getting new businesses and handling current customers and business accounts.||INR 3,50,000 to INR 7,50,000|
PGD Hotel Management: Future Scopes
- The candidates who completed Hotel Management courses can look for employment opportunities in the hospitality industry. There are opportunities like management roles or service roles.
- Some of the popular areas of recruiting are Catering and Service, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Airline Catering, and Cabin services.
- Students who want to study further have the option to pursue a Ph.D. degree in hotel management as well.
PGD Hotel Management: FAQs
Ques. What is the course duration of a Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management?
Ans. Depending upon the college selected, the duration of this course ranges between 1 to 2 years.
Ques. Is there any entrance exam for admission to a Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management course?
Ans. Yes. There are institutes that conduct a personal test or aptitude test for students who want to take up the course.
Ques. What is the educational qualification required for admission to the Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management course?
Ans. The candidate must complete a graduation course in any stream to be eligible for this course.
Ques. What is the admission procedure for the Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management program?
Ans. The Aspiring candidates need to apply to the course in universities or colleges online or offline. Depending upon the universities or institutes selected by the student, they might have to take entrance exams. Once the students are shortlisted, the counselling authorities will do the evaluation of applications and complete the admission procedure.
Ques. What is the average fee for the course Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management program in Indian Colleges/ Universities?
Ans. The average fee for the course ranges from INR 10,000 to 1,00,000 depending upon the college selected.
Ques. How will this course help me to get a good job?
Ans. You will gain expertise in the hospitality and tourism industry and learn skills such as food and beverage preparation, maintenance and cleaning, food service and management. Apart from this, you will also develop skills like leadership, team work, adaptability, accountability and interpersonal skills. With these skills you can apply for management roles as well as service based roles like Chefs, Shift incharge, etc.
Ques. Name the top companies that I can opt for to pursue an internship?
Ans. Some of India’s top companies in in this hotel industry are:
- The Taj Group of Hotels
- Marriott International, Inc.
- Hyatt Hotels
- The Leela Palaces, Hotels & Resorts
- Oberoi Group of Hotels
Ques. What are the top recruiting areas for Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management?
Ans. Some of the popular recruiting areas for this course are Catering and Service, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Airline catering and Cabin services.