Calcutta University to Use 80-20 Percent Ratio for Assessment

Arunasish Sen Arunasish Sen
Content Curator
Calcutta University to Use 80-20 Percent Ratio for Assessment

On Thursday, Calcutta University announced that due to the pandemic, students will be given marks in an 80-20 percent ratio: 80 percent from the best aggregate of the previous semesters, and 20 percent from the internal assessment. This will apply to both undergraduate and postgraduate students.

Calcutta University, made the decision after the syndicate, the highest decision-making body of the university met to discuss the modalities of the final semester examination.

The  NIRF-ranked university made the following adjustments in view of the coronavirus pandemic.

For B.A, B.Sc and B.Com Part III Old, 80 percent of the marks will be awarded from the best aggregate percentage of the marks obtained in the previous two years; the remaining 20 percent of the marks will be awarded from the internal assessment taken from test results which will be sent by the concerned colleges by 10 July.

For the B.Com course, 80 percent of the marks will be awarded from the best aggregate of the previous five semesters’ marks, while the remaining 20 percent marks will be awarded from the best of the previous semesters' internal assessments.

Similarly, for postgraduate courses, 80 percent of the marks will be awarded from the best aggregate percentage of the marks obtained in the previous three semesters and the remaining will be awarded on the basis of internal assessment which will be decided by the Head of Department to the Controller of Examinations by 10 July.

In the same manner, for professional courses like Engineering, Management, Law, and so on, 80 percent of the marks will be given on the basis of internal assessments, mid-semester examination, or the best of the aggregates of the previous semesters. 20 percent will be awarded from assignment-based evaluation.

For postgraduate diploma, 100 percent of the marks of the previous semester and actual marks procured in the internal assessment, that is Project and Viva, will be awarded.

As far as back papers are concerned, marks will be awarded on the basis of the best score obtained in the remaining qualified papers of that semester.

According to the Calcutta University Teachers Association, the syndicate resolution was “putting a seal of approval on the higher education department advisory” which does not reflect the opinion of the faculty and is therefore against the spirit of autonomy.