BSc Nursing in UK is a 3 years vocational course with starting salaries between GBP 22,000 to 30,112 for trainees. With the experience of 2-5 years, you may earn 36 percent more than your initial drawings. According to a survey done by NHS Health Education England, about 94 percent of BSc Nursing graduates get employment within six months post completion of the course.
- Post completion, you can work in the UK or may pursue masters in the same field from top universities of the UK or any other country.
- As an international student, you will have to complete the overseas nursing program to qualify for practicing in the country.
- The University of Manchester, Kings College of London, and the University of Edinburgh ranks among the best colleges for BSc Nursing in UK, as per QS Rankings of 2020.
If you are a resident of the UK, you may apply for financial aid up to GBP 8,000 for each year of study. Additionally, you may also avail of monetary benefits via NHS Bursaries based on your eligibility. International Students may have to rely on private and college scholarship schemes and loans to aid their education.
Why study BSc Nursing in UK?
Nurses are known as “angels on earth” as they come in direct contact with the sick and try to lessen the sufferings with a healing touch by applying modern methods and techniques. BSc Nursing in UK is one of the popular courses to study here. Let’s share the reasons why to study this course in the UK:
- The UK is the leader in the field of medical sciences and subjects allied with medicine. According to a survey, 22,045 International students opted for subjects allied with medicine in the UK.
- The number of nurses in the UK stands at 661,000 in 2019. This number is an increase from the figures for 2010, which was 534,000. So, the number of nursing students is gradually growing ever since.
- Working with NHS (National Healthcare Service) in UK will guarantee the below-mentioned benefits:
- Long-term contract.
- 27 paid holidays.
- Decent salary to start with i.e., GBP 22,128.
- Paid training.
- 37.5 hours of fixed standard weekly work hours.
- A pension of 7.1 percent to 9.3 percent on your salary.
- BSc Nursing graduates from University of Manchester further become registered with the Nursing & Midwifery Council. Association with this council will ensure training in a few more areas like cardiac nursing, infection control, theatre and recovery, multiple sclerosis.
- UK Universities will allow you to work for 20 hours each week during your study and work full-time during public holidays. This policy will help you gain experience and cover some of your expenses.
- The UK also offers a scope on getting trained in a variety of clinical & medicine areas and other specialties. This helps you to get an internship and full-time opportunities on course completion.
- Also, there is a massive demand for nurses in the UK in recent times. There are 44,000 vacancies as per the November 2019 official reports. So, if you are skilled and have pursued nursing in the UK, you may land up with a lucrative job here.
|Course Names||Bachelor of Nursing;
Bachelor of Adult Nursing;
Bachelor of Midwifery;
Bachelor of Science (Professional & Adult Nursing);
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Adult);
Bachelor of Science in Nursing Studies (Adult Nursing);
Bachelor in Medical Science (Adult Nursing)
|Course Duration||3-4 years|
|Basic Admission Requirements||Good scores of 10+2 in English, Math, and other science-related subjects.|
|Registrations Required to Practice||Participate in the Overseas Nursing Program to be eligible to register with NHS;
Registration with the Nursing & Midwifery Council to work and practice in the UK
|Course Fees (per annum)||14,000 GBP – 30,000 GBP|
|Careers||Nurse; Children’s Nurse; Staff Nurse;
Health Visitor; High-Intensity Therapist;
Learning Disability Nurse; Mental Health Nurse;
|Average Salaries (Lowest-Highest)||22,000 GBP – 109,000 GBP per annum|
BSc Nursing in UK: Top Colleges & Universities
Nursing is one of the most sought after courses in the UK. Please take a note on the following top colleges for BSc Nursing in UK:
|Universities/Colleges||QS Ranks in Nursing (2020)||Course Name & Duration||Course Fees (in GBP) per year|
|King’s College London||2||Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Adult): 3 years||16,530|
|The University of Manchester||3||Bachelor of Adult Nursing;
Bachelor of Children’s Nursing;
Bachelor of Mental Health Nursing; 3 years
|University of Edinburgh||25||Bachelor of Nursing (Nursing): 4 years||27,550|
|University of Nottingham||27||Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Adult);
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Children);
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Mental Health); 3 years
|Ulster University||46||Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Adult);
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Mental Health); 3 years
|The University of Glasgow||51-100||Bachelor of Nursing (Nursing): 4 years||16,970|
|Queen’s University Belfast||51-100||Bachelor of Science (Professional & Adult Nursing): 3 years||16,900|
|The University of Sheffield||51-100||Bachelor in Medical Science (Adult Nursing): 3 years||23,750|
|University of Liverpool||181||Bachelor of Nursing (Nursing): 3 years||21,300|
|University of Surrey||274||Bachelor of Science in Nursing Studies (Adult Nursing);
Bachelor of Science in Nursing Studies (Child Nursing);
Bachelor of Science in Nursing Studies (Mental Health Nursing); 3 years
What is a BSc Nursing
The BSc in Nursing imparts knowledge on recent research, practices, and policies related to the field of Nursing. The study covers a variety of specializations like Adult Nursing, Children Nursing, Mental Health Nursing, and Midwifery. Besides, you will develop clinical skills throughout the course.
You will receive training in clinical ward areas, theatre and recovery, and infection control. Apart from that theoretical knowledge, you will get exposure through hands-on internship experiences in the same field. The course is top-rated among women and men internationally, as it is a respectable and noble profession.
Course Curriculum Overview
- Foundations in Nursing & Health.
- Develop Nursing Practices related to patient care for Acute & Short-term needs.
- Develop Nursing Practices related to patient care for Long-Term & Complex Care needs.
- Transitions to Professional Practice.
Admission Process for BSc Nursing in UK
A good score in English and Mathematics at 10 + 2 level is required to apply for BSc Nursing in UK.
BSc Nursing in UK: Application Deadlines
It is critical to know the application deadlines, especially when you are an international student. Deadlines for some of the BSc Nursing in UK colleges is provided below
|King’s College, London||15th October - 15th January|
|University of Manchester||15th October|
|University of Edinburgh||30th June|
|University of Glasgow||30th June|
|Queen’s University Belfast||15th October|
|University of Sheffield||31st July - 1st December|
|University of Nottingham||30th June - 15th January|
BSc Nursing in UK: Entry Requirements
You can study BSc Nursing in UK with the availability of the following documents:
- 10th & 12th mark sheets equivalent to the US education system.
- Good scores in English and Mathematics, Biology, Physics, and other science subjects.
- An updated Resume.
- Passport-sized photos, passport & valid ID proof
The minimum score required to get admission in an undergraduate nursing program in UK is tabulated below:
|Universities/Colleges||Minimum Score in 10+2||English Proficiency Requirement|
|King’s College London||-||IELTS – 7.5;
TOEFL – 110;
PTE – 76
|The University of Manchester||80% in science-based subjects.||IELTS – 7.5;
TOEFL – 100;
PTE – 74;
CAE/CPE – 191 to 230
|University of Edinburgh||80% in science-related subjects||IELTS – 7;
TOEFL – 92;
PTE – 70
|University of Nottingham||-||IELTS – 6;
TOEFL - 79;
PTE - 55
|Ulster University||65% in all subjects||IELTS - 6|
|The University of Glasgow||-||IELTS – 6.5;
TOEFL – 90;
PTE – 60;
CAE/CPE – 176
|Queen’s University Belfast||85% in relevant subjects||IELTS – 6.5;
TOEFL – 90;
CAE/CPE – 176
|The University of Sheffield||80% in 10th & 70% in 12th in related subjects and English.||IELTS - 6;
TOEFL – 80;
PTE - 56
|University of Liverpool||85%||IELTS – 7.5;
TOEFL – 100;
PTE – 73
|University of Surrey||70% in English, Math and other science-related subjects.||IELTS – 6;
TOEFL – 81;
PTE – 56;
CAE/CPE – 169
Documents required for Visa Application in the UK
Please take a note at the following documents needed to apply for your Tier 4 UK visa below:
- Passport and its photocopy.
- A recent photograph
- Mark sheets of 10th & 12th.
- IELTS/TOEFL/PTE scores as a testimony of your English.
- Financial Statements.
- If you are a non-EU or Swiss student, you may have to provide an ATAS certificate.
Note: You must provide Financial Statements as proof that you can afford bare minimum living expenditure, which is GBP 1,015 per month outside London, and GBP 1,265 in London.
Cost of Studying BSc Nursing in UK
Cost of studying abroad consists of three types of expenses: Pre-departure Cost, Tuition Fees, and Cost of Living in the UK.
This is the cost you will have to bear before leaving your country. So let’s list them down below:
|Tier 4 Student Visa||366|
|TOEFL||127 - 199|
Cost of Living in the UK
Let’s share the details of the cost of living in the UK below:
|Categories||Average Cost Per month( in GBP)|
|Meal in Restaurant||12 per meal|
|Gas & Electricity||45|
|Books & Learning Material||30|
|Entertainment (Movie, Pubs, Cocktails, Concerts, etc.)||110|
Scholarships for BSc Nursing in UK
Studying abroad is not very cheap. Henceforth, a scholarship or financial aid is hugely beneficial to overseas students. Top universities offer scholarships to international students in the UK. Let’s take a look at them below:
|Universities||Scholarships & Aid||Amount (in GBP)|
|University of Manchester||International Excellence Scholarships||2,000|
|University of Glasgow||Ann Hart Buchanan Student Scholarship||1/3rd tuition fees to the amount GBP 600.|
|Undergraduate Excellence Scholarship||5,000 GBP per year|
|Humanitarian Scholarships||Full tuition costs, stipend of GBP 5,000.|
|Queen’s University Belfast||International Office Undergraduate Scholarships||2,500 – 3,000|
|Vice-Chancellor’s International Attainment Scholarship||Tuition fees for up to 4 years|
|Queen’s Loyalty Scholarship||20 percent reduction to tuition fees|
|King’s College, London||Perseverance Trust Undergraduate Scholarship||Tuition fees of 3 years, total value is 7,500|
|Sanctuary Scholarships||12,010 GBP per year|
Scope after BSc Nursing in UK
After BSc Nursing completion, you can make 24,214 GBP per year initially. This salary will rise by at least 36 percent, with more than five years of experience. With more experience & qualifications, you can earn between 60,000 GBP – 109,000 GBP per annum.
According to the latest reports, almost 50 percent of the UK nurses earn at least 109,000 GBP per year. Also, various types of bonuses are available in this profession in the UK. They are Individual Performance-Based Bonus, Company Performance Bonus, Goal-Based Bonus, and Holiday or Year Ending Bonus.
BSc Nursing in UK will open doors for job opportunities. Let’s share the average salaries of the various job roles in nursing:
|Job Roles||Annual Salary (in GBP)|
|Trainee Nurse||23,000 – 34,105|
|Health Visitor||22,425 – 65,737|
|Children Nurse||24,214 – 43,772|
|High-Intensity Therapist||28,050 – 43,041|
|Mental Health Nurse||24,214 – 30,112|
|Learning Disability Nurse||23,023 – 43,041|
|Nurse Midwife||23,023 – 43,041|
|Staff Nurse||23,023 – 32,000|
Can you work post BSc Nursing in UK?
The answer is yes; you can practice and work as a nurse for at least two years post completion of the course. The new visa rule allows you to search for job opportunities and work for two years after completing the degree.
After completing the BSc Nursing in UK you can pursue further studies in MSc in Nursing. You can specialize in subjects like advanced clinical practice and medical decision-making, critical care nursing, and many other subjects.
You may take direct admission to the Master’s course if you have pursued a bachelor’s degree from the same college in nursing. Also, you may enjoy a fee waiver like the one in the University of Manchester. There you may enjoy a 10 percent reduction in tuition fee while pursuing MSc after completing BSc in Nursing. The starting salary after completing MSc Nursing in UK is also higher with a 34,000 GBP per year.