What is BE Marine Engineering?
BE Marine Engineering or Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Engineering course is a full-time undergraduate Marine Engineering program of 4 years which is divided into 8 semesters of study.
B.E in Marine Engineering course is the study that deals with the production, design, development and maintenance of the sea equipment which are used in boats, ships, submarines or any other water transport.
The candidates have a choice to apply for the BE Marine engineering course through entrance exams or through direct entry as well. Admission for BE Marine Engineering course is based on the merit-list or entrance exam which is followed by a personal interview round.Aspiring students should have passed XII with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics or equivalent or equivalent examination from a recognized board of education.
The course fees vary among different colleges but the average fee of the course approximately ranges from INR 15,000 to 15,00,000 per annum.
Top BE Marine Engineering Colleges with Fees
|College||Average Annual Fees|
|Andhra University||INR 8,00,000|
|Southern Academy of Maritime Studies||INR 11,00,000|
|Academy of Maritime Education and Training University||INR 25,860|
|GKM College of Engineering and Technology||INR 87,000|
|Gujarat Technological University||INR 25,000|
The job opportunities in this field of marine engineering depend on the basis of academic and technical skills of the graduates.
The graduates of BE Marine Engineering program can get the job position of a Port manager, Maritime educator, Second marine engineer, Chief marine engineer, Ship operator, Marine surveyor,Ship manager; Technical superintendent etc.
Shipping Industry is one of the good sectors where one may build a rewarding career and it is an important sector, which is crucial for the growth and stability of the Global Economy.
BE Marine Engineering Admission Process
The most common route to take admission into this course is through the entrance exam. Some colleges and universities offer students a direct entry to the students on the basis of merit list.
- In most of the universities, admission in BE Marine Engineering course is done based on marks in the 10+2 examination.
- Apply for an entrance exam for BE Marine Engineering colleges and universities, if they take one, or application based on Merit.
- The candidates must submit the application form after filling all the required details, before the deadlines.
- The candidates must carry all their documents at the time of admission.
- All the students must bring the following documents (both original and copy) at the time of visiting university such as Class X mark sheet, Class XII mark sheet, Online registration form of college which has your registration number (after applying for a college), 3-4 passport size photographs, ID proof such as Adhar, PAN, etc, Minority/caste certificate if you are in the reserved category.
BE Marine Engineering Eligibility Criteria: What are the Minimum Requirements?
Students who wish to pursue BE Marine Engineering courses must meet up with the following eligibility criteria.
- To be eligible and for admission in this course a candidate must have completed 10+2 or an equivalent examination.
- Candidates must score at least 55% of marks in aggregate in physics, chemistry, and mathematics subjects from a recognized board.
- Also, a candidate has to appear in any of the B.E Marine engineering entrance exams.
- In certain institutions, the candidates should need to fulfil the medical requirements. Observing particular features such as ear nose throat, skeletal system, speech, cardiovascular system, eyesight (eyesight for candidates should be 6/6 - 6/12 in both eyes, including no colour blindness), respiratory system digestive system, lymphatic system, nervous system, genitourinary system, skin and many other tests.
|BE/B.TECH IN DELHI-NCR||BE/B.TECH IN MAHARASHTRA||BE/B.TECH IN CHENNAI||BE/B.TECH IN UTTAR PRADESH||BE/B.TECH IN TELANGANA|
BE Marine Engineering Entrance Exams
Like any other graduation courses in BE degree program, marine engineering also has its own terms in getting admission. A candidate has to clear the entrance exam for getting admission in the B.E Marine engineering course.
Few of the top entrance exams for B.E Marine engineering course are:
- IMU CET: IMU CET is a National level entrance exam conducted by the Indian Maritime University for all the candidates of India to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the Maritime University.
- HITSEEE: HITSEEE is a national level examination which is conducted by the Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science and it offers a total of 52 undergraduate programs and 20 postgraduate programs.
- TMISAT: TMISAT is also known as Tolani Maritime Institute of Science Aptitude Test. TMISAT is a national level entrance exam for admissions into B.Tech Marine Engineering and B.Sc. Nautical Technology programs.
- JEE Main: JEE Main is one of the most premier engineering entrance examinations which is conducted bi-annually in India. JEE Mains is conducted once in a year, in the month of January and again in April.
Tabulated below are some of the important dates of BE Marine Engineering entrance exam:
|Exam Name||Application Date||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|IMU CET||July 1, 2020 – August 21, 2020 (Extended)||August 30, 2020 (Cancelled)||Online|
|HITSEEE||November 15,2019 – July 31, 2020||5-7 August, 2020||Online|
|TMISAT||January 2, 2020 – September 2, 2020 (Extended)||TBA||Online|
|IIT JEE||May 19, 2020 – May 24, 2020||September 1, 2020 - September 6, 2020||Online|
|AICET||April 2020 – May 2020||June 2020||Offline|
How to Prepare for BE Marine Engineering Entrance Exams?
To be well aware of the current exam trend is the most important thing for a student to determine the factors responsible for succeeding in any entrance examination. Here are several tips to be followed by all candidates when studying for the BE Marine Engineering entrance exam:
- A disciplined routine is a must for all the students who want to crack any entrance exam. Make a study plan, it will help you to go according to the time-table and it also allows you to focus on all the important aspects.
- Starting the preparation of the entrance exam early helps the students in covering all the important topics and revise the syllabus.
- Having the knowledge of the marking scheme, structure of the question paper, syllabus for the test is crucial.
- Refer to textbooks written by a good author and make notes from that, get the notes from the classroom training. Making notes will help the students to avoid unnecessary panic at the exam time.
- Attending the maximum mock tests will give you the strength to write the exam properly, and it will help you to focus on your weaker area of study.
See More: BE Marine Engineering Cut-Offs
How to get Admission in top BE Marine Engineering colleges?
To get admission in the best college of Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Engineering you should keep some important points in your mind. So here are some important tips for getting into the college/ university of your choice:
- Candidates should use their application essay as a chance to show their personality in front of the admission officer.
- It is very important to make every effort to visit each school that your child is interested in. Not only can you get a sense of campus life, but you will be expressing your interest in the college/ university as well as have an opportunity to ask important questions from the admission officer.
- Along with the essay, an interview is another way for an aspirant to convey his/her personality to admission officers.
- Take advantage of college/ university fairs and other opportunities as well to collect the information about the different colleges and universities.
- Be updated with the deadlines of filling the application forms through college/ university websites, newspapers and magazines.
BE Marine Engineering: What is it About?
Information and details about the BE Marine Engineering programs are as follows.
- BE Marine Engineering course is the study that deals with the production, design, development and maintenance of the sea equipment which are used in boats, ships, submarines or any other water transport.
- After graduating from this course candidates can apply for jobs in shipbuilding companies, at harbour and port, in navy jobs, research and deployment centres, in colleges and universities as a professor, and any other required field.
- This course draws its principles from various fields like engineering, oceanography, ecology, economics and biology, thus incorporating them into an engineering program.
- This course will also provide in-depth entrepreneur opportunities where the professionals can opt to work independently as a private boat designer and as a other aquatic vehicle designer and manufacturer.
- The students are also introduced to the methods for preparing, collecting, and presenting data through written reports that involve the planning, analysis, and evaluation of each marine engineering experiment.
BE Marine Engineering: Course Highlights
Listed below are some key highlights of Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Engineering course:
|Course||BE Marine Engineering|
|Full form||Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Engineering|
|Admission Process||Merit-based or Entrance-based|
|Average tuition fee||INR 15,000 to 15,00,000|
|Job Positions||Technical superintendent, Maritime educator, Second marine engineer, Ship manager, Ship operator, Marine surveyor, Chief marine engineer, Port manager etc|
|Top recruiting areas||Research and Deployment centres, Ship building companies, Naval jobs, Harbours and ports, Colleges and Universities etc.|
|Average salary||INR 5,00,000 - 12,00,000|
Why Study BE Marine Engineering?
Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Engineering courses have a lot of career opportunities to offer to the students. Here we have listed for you a few reasons regarding why you should opt for a BE Marine Engineering course:
- Any student who wants to make a successful career by being a marine engineer can opt for this career orienteering course.
- BE Marine Engineering degree program will also help the students in serving as a leading provider of competing, technically energetic, and disciplined marine engineers.
- This course makes the students capable of performing in the international and local shipping industry.
- This course also helps the students in introducing new methods of preparing, collecting, and presenting data through the written reports that involve the analysis, planning, and evaluation of each marine engineering experiment.
- Students also learn about the navigation skill and can also gain other skills and knowledge of technical information.
- They also learn about linear and nonlinear waves, flow theories, and amplitude oscillations in relation to sources and shapes and many more interesting topics.
- It will prepare the students by giving them knowledge about the control engineering, pneumatic, hydraulics turbine, ship design, naval architecture, and process engineering among various concepts.
Course Comparison: BE Marine Engineering vs. BTech Marine Engineering
The course comparison between BE Marine Engineering and B.Tech Marine Engineering is as follows.
|Course||BE Marine Engineering||B.Tech. Marine Engineering|
|Full form||Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Engineering||Bachelor of Technology in Marine Engineering|
|Duration||4 years||4 years|
|Overview||It deals with the production, design, development and maintenance of the sea equipment which are used in boats, ships, submarines or any other water transport.||It aims to impart extensive knowledge regarding oceans, ships, vehicles, pollution control, nautical instruments, along with electricity, speed, fluid mechanics, propulsion,vessels etc.|
|Eligibility||10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics||10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics|
|Admission Process||Merit-based or Entrance-based||Entrance-based|
|Average tuition fee||INR 15,000 to 15,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to 8,00,000|
|Top recruiting areas||Naval jobs, Ship building companies, Research and Deployment centres, Ports and Harbours, Colleges and Universities etc.||Naval academy, Shipyards, Shipping companies, Port Trust, Repairing Yards, Merchant Naval Companies and so on.|
|Average salary||INR 5,00,000 to 12,00,000||INR 3,50,000 to 8,00,000|
Which are the Top BE Marine Engineering Colleges?
The table below shows the best colleges and universities in India that offer the BE Marine Engineering course.
|College||Average Annual Fees||Average Salary Package|
|Andhra University||INR 8,00,000||INR 5,50,000|
|Southern Academy of Maritime Studies||INR 11,00,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Academy of Maritime Education and Training University||INR 25,860||INR 3,60,000|
|GKM College of Engineering and Technology||INR 87,000||INR 3,50,000|
|Gujarat Technological University||INR 25,000||INR 1,50,000|
|Mangalore Marine College and Technology||INR 2,00,000||-|
|Mohamed Sathak Engineering College||INR 60,000||INR 96,000|
|Sri Nandhanam Maritime Academy||INR 28,000||INR 6,00,000-7,00,000|
|Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering||INR 60,000||INR 5,50,000 -7,00,000|
|Srinivas Institute of Technology||INR 1,41,000||INR 3,50,000|
BE Marine Engineering: College Comparison
The table given below depicts the comparison made among the three top BE Marine Engineering colleges in India.
|Parameter||Academy of Maritime Education and Training University||Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering||Srinivas Institute of Technology|
|Overview||It has the privilege to become the Maritime Deemed to be a university by the hands of the secretary general of the International Maritime Organization, Mr.Efthimios E Mitropoulos.||It was established in the year 2007 and the main aim of the college is to become a centre of excellence by imparting quality technical education.||It holds recognition from the All India Council for Technical Education [AICTE], New Delhi. In fact, Srinivas Institute of Technology was established with four engineering streams.|
|NIRF 2021 ranking (for BTech)||201||176||34|
|Location||Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh||Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu||Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh|
|Admission process||Entrance based||Entrance based||Merit based|
|Average annual fees||INR 8,00,000||INR 60,000||INR 1,41,000|
|Average annual package||INR 5,50,000||INR 5,50,000 - 7,00,000||INR 3,50,000|
|Top recruiters||Maersk, Shell, Selandia, Fleet Management Limited, DHL, Transworld, Beta, HCL etc.||Cognizant, IBM, Capgemini, HCL, Super Auto Forge, Genpact, Tech Mahindra, Jain Housing & Construction LTD. Etc.||HP, SLK Software, UST Global, Control Print Ltd., Wureth Electronik, Cadence, Span Infotech, Sonata Software, Robosoft Technologies etc.|
What is the BE Marine Engineering Syllabus?
The Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Engineering students will have to study a number of subjects in the entire duration of the course. The semester-wise breakup of the syllabus of this course is provided in the table given below:
|SEMESTER I||SEMESTER II|
|English||Seamanship, Elementary Navigation and Survival at Sea|
|Mathematics - I||Mathematics - II|
|Basic Electrical and Electronics Engineering||Applied Thermodynamics - I|
|Basic Electrical and Electronics Engineering||Strength of Materials - I|
|Workshop Practicals - I||Computer Science|
|Engineering Mechanics - I||Engineering Mechanics - II|
|Workshop Technology||Engineering and Machine Drawing|
|Geometrical Drawing||Applied Mechanics Laboratory|
|Basic Electrical and Electronics Laboratory||Workshop Practical – II|
|Communicative English Lab||Computer Laboratory – I|
|SEMESTER III||SEMESTER IV|
|Computational Mathematics||Marine Boilers|
|Analog Electronics & Communication||Digital Electronics and PLC|
|Applied Thermodynamics - II||Mechanics of Machines - II|
|Strength of Materials - II||Electrical Machines - II|
|Mechanics of Machines - I||Fluids Mechanics|
|Electrical Machines - I||Marine Heat Engine and Air Conditioning|
|Marine Engineering Drawing||Applied Marine Control and Automation|
|Electronics Laboratory||Heat & Boiler Chemical Laboratory|
|Heat and Chemical Laboratory||Computer Microprocessor and PLC Laboratory|
|Workshop Practical - III||Workshop Practical - IV|
|-||Control Engineering Laboratory|
|SEMESTER V||SEMESTER VI|
|Material Science||Ship Fire Prevention and Control|
|Ship Structure and Construction||Marine Internal Combustion Engine II|
|Marine Internal Combustion Engine - I||Marine Electrical Technology|
|Fluid Mechanics||Marine Auxiliary Machines - II|
|Marine Auxiliary Machines - I||Naval Architecture - II|
|Naval Architecture - I||Management of Science & Economics|
|Elementary Design and Drawing||Marine Steam Engineering|
|Material Science Laboratory||Fire Control and Life Saving Appliances Laboratory|
|Vibration Laboratory and Fluid Mechanics Laboratory||Marine Power Plant Operation -II|
|Marine Power Plant Operation - I||Electrical Machines Laboratory|
|SEMESTER VII||SEMESTER VIII|
|Ship Operation and Management||Onboard training and assessment|
|Advanced Marine Control Engineering and Automation||Voyage / Training Report|
|IMO - Maritime Conventions and Classification Society||Project on Environment|
|Advanced Marine Technology||Viva|
|Engine Room Management||-|
|Marine Machinery and System Design||-|
|Simulator and Simulation Laboratory||-|
|Technical Paper and Project||-|
What are the Important BE Marine Engineering Books?
The important books and their authors in the field of BE Marine Engineering is tabulated below.
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Introduction to Marine Engineering||D.A. Taylor|
|General Engineering Knowledge (Marine Engineering)||H.D McGeorge|
|Marine Auxiliary Machine||H.D McGeorge|
|Pounder’s Marine Diesel Engines and Gas Turbines||Doug Woodyard|
|Marine Electrical Equipment and Practice||H.D McGeorge|
What are the BE Marine Engineering Job Profiles?
The several opportunities and areas of interest for employment for graduates in B.E Marine engineering degree program jobs are listed as under:
|Job Position||Description||Average Salary|
|Port Manager||Port managers are responsible for the smooth transition of those ports so that they can reach the destination on time.||INR 8,26,000|
|Marine Surveyor||Marine Surveyors are responsible for surveying the marine vessels, such as hull, Ships, boats, dredges, and equipment to determine the repairs required for machines.||INR 4,95,000|
|Ship Manager||Ship managers are responsible for managing all important documents such as bills of lading, shipping notices, pick slips etc. The ship managers also track, prioritize, check, and route orders using essential software, etc.||INR 5,00,000 - 8,00,000|
|Ship Operator||Ship operators are responsible for ensuring technical tasks in relation to operating the machines.||INR 7,43,000|
|ICAR Officer||ICAR Officers duty is to work with the office of the Indian Council of Agriculture Research in the core specialty of the fish breeding and management.||INR 4,71,000|
What is the BE Marine Engineering Future Scope?
It is quite evident that there is a good scope present in the marine engineering sector. The graduates of BE Marine Engineering for sure, be able to scale up the career ladder with time.
- Shipping Industry generates a large number of job opportunities; Marine Engineers are required by the Industry in large numbers.
- After the completion of this course and 6 months of sea service, the graduates will be able to get the Class 4 Marine Engineer Officer Certificate of Competency.
- After getting this certificate, one can be able to join Merchant Navy ships as a Marine Engineer.
- Shipping Industry is one of the good sectors where one may build a rewarding career and it is an important sector, which is crucial for the growth and stability of the Global Economy.
BE Marine Engineering: FAQs
Ques. What is the BE Marine Engineering course?
Ques. What is the full form of BE Marine Engineering?
Ques. What are the best institutes to study BE Marine Engineering?
Ques. What are the career profiles for a BE Marine Engineering degree holders?
Ques. What is the fee of pursuing BE Marine Engineering from Indian Colleges/ Universities?
Ques. What are the future job prospects of a BE Marine Engineering degree holder with experience?
Ques. What is the expected starting salary of a BE Marine Engineering?
Ques. Is there any scope of relaxation for reserved category students for admission to BE Marine Engineering program?
Ques. What are the additional qualifications for admission to BE Marine Engineering apart from the basic criterion?
Ques. What are the employment areas in which a graduate of BE Marine Engineering degree program get hired?