B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion or Bachelor of Science in Costume Design and Fashion is an undergraduate Fashion and Interior Designing course of 3 years which is divided into 6 semesters.
The B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion program has been designed to offer eligible candidates the knowledge and focus on assessing the technical know-how behind costume designing.
Some of the subjects taught in B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion are Environmental Studies, Fashion Designing, Fiber to Fabric, Historic Costumes & Textiles of India, Basic Draping Practical etc.
B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion eligibility the candidates should complete their 10+2 or its equivalent exam in Science stream.
Read more: BSc Admission Process 2021
Most institutes offering the B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course admit the students based on their performance in their HSC exam in the Arts stream. Some colleges and universities conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges for BSc Courses in India.
The average full time fee charged for the B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course in India ranges between INR 13,500 to INR 3,30,000, and the average salary offered to such professionals’ ranges between INR 2,00,000 to INR 15,00,000 per year, increasing with expertise and experience.
B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion: Course Highlights
|Course||B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion|
|Full form||Bachelor of Science in Costume Design and Fashion|
|Eligibility||10+2 with science stream|
|Admission Process||Based on HSC marks, performance in entrance test and interview(if held).|
|Average tuition fee||INR 50,000 to 3,30,000 per year|
|Job Positions||Apparel Production Manager, Costume Designer, Fashion Coordinator, Fabric Quality Control Manager, Fabric Buyer, Fashion Show Organizer, Technical Designer, Fashion Consultants, Production Pattern Maker, Showroom Sales Representative, Graphic Designer, etc.|
|Top recruiting areas||Export Houses, Garment Store Chains, Garment Manufacturing Unit, Leather Companies, Textile Mills, Colleges and Universities, Brand Outlets, etc.|
|Average salary||INR 2,00,000 to 15,00,000 per annum|
B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion: Admission Process
Admission to the B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion program begins after the declaration of 10+2 board examination’s results. The colleges and universities conduct entrance examinations for admission to B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course and some private institutes grant direct admissions as well. The following are the major steps through which admissions in B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course takes place:
STEP 1- In order to get direct admission to B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course, candidates are required to score good marks in their 12th board examination and check if the admission process needs any entrance examination to appear for.
STEP 2- In case there is an entrance exam, candidates need to register for the same and appear for the exam. The universities will prepare a merit list on the basis of 10+2 examination’s marks and/or entrance exam scores.
STEP 3- The shortlisted candidates will be called for document verification.
STEP 4- After the successful verification of documents, the candidates will be offered admission to the course.
Read More: Bsc Entrance Exams In India
B.Sc Neurophysiology technology: Eligibility Criteria
The basic requirement to pursue bsc neurophysiology technology is to clear 10+2 (Higher secondary school certification) examinations or equivalent qualification examination from a recognized education institute with physics, chemistry and Biology as principal subjects of study.
B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion: What is it About?
The eligibility for pursuing a B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course is:
- Students must have cleared 10+2 examinations from a well-recognized board.
- Students from a science background and fashion design as one of the subjects in their high school are preferred.
- The marks of admission for this course may vary from college to college. In various colleges, there is an entrance exam plus interview and percentage of 12th class for the admission.
B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion: How to get admission in Good B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion college?
Following are the points to help you secure an admission to the top B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion colleges:
- Make sure to have extra-ordinary marks in your 10+2 level.
- If you are willing to appear for any entrance, start preparing for it as per the syllabus.
- Be updated with the important dates of the entrance exams like application process, application deadline, etc.
- Secure a good percentile in the B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion entrance exam conducted by the university you are applying to.
- It's important to make every effort to visit each school that your child is interested in. Students will not only get a feel for campus life, but you'll be expressing your interest in the school as well as have an opportunity to ask important questions.
- Along with the essay, an interview is another way for a student to convey his/her personality to admissions officers.
B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion: Important Books
|Encyclopedia of Clothing and Fashion||Steele and Valerie|
|Contemporary Fashion||Martin, Richard Harrison|
|Fashion, Costume and Culture||Pendergast, Tom, Hermsen Sarah|
|The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Costume and Fashion||Jack Cassin-Scott|
|The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Clothing Through World History||Jill Condra|
B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion: What is it about?
Here is the description of the course B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion what all a student should know about this course. It includes, on which areas B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course focus upon, what will you get to learn and what skills can you develop after pursuing this course:
- B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course usually involves researching, designing and building the actual items from conception and fashion is a general term for a currently popular style or practice, especially in clothing, footwear, or accessories.
- Fashion references to anything that is the current trend in look and dress up of a person. B.Sc. in Costume Design and Fashion is generally of three academic years course and it may be different from one place to place.
- The program has been designed to offer to eligible candidates the knowledge and focus on assessing the technical know-how behind costume designing.
- It may also be provided on a part-time basis by certain institutes.
- The program will equip the enrolled students with practical and professional knowledge like how to design costumes.
- The course also offers opportunities in the fields of teaching and professing.
- This programme in costume design and fashion will create fully efficient costume designers who, with their knowledge of the technicalities and the nuances of costume designing can either choose to go for higher studies in the same field or seek a job in the fashion industry or become entrepreneurs themselves.
B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion: Why study B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion?
Knowing the benefits offered by the course can help sort out chaotic situations of the students. Hence some of the benefits and perks of pursuing B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion degree program has been mentioned below:
- A B.Sc. in Costume Design and Fashion degree is a very valuable addition to the candidate’s CV since it offers them with opportunities that are diverse and not restricted to the local or national companies.
- You will cover various segments of designing and technology like surface ornamentation, illustration, draping, pattern making, textile Science, dyeing and printing, market management, apparel manufacturing, and many more.
- If a student's passion lies in fashion then he/she has a unique way of looking at the world, he/she will dream about having their own fashion design brand label. So B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion is the best choice for them.
- The latest teaching methods and styles are adapted to help students gain first-hand knowledge of the workings of the fashion industry and prepping them to achieve great success in this field.
- The fashion industry has become a billion-dollar industry, especially in India.
B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion: Top Colleges with Fees
|Name of Institute||Average Fees Per Year|
|AJK College of Arts and Science||16,500|
|Bharathidasan College of Arts and Science||13,500|
|National Institute of Design||2.2 lakhs|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology||1.9 lakhs|
|Pearl Academy||3.2 lakhs|
|Symbiosis Institute of Design||3.3 lakhs|
|Northern India Institute of Fashion Technology||98,500|
|International Institute of Fashion Technology||55,000|
|Pearl Academy of Fashion Management||3.03 lakhs|
|Satyam Fashion Institute||1.3 lakhs|
|MIT Institute of Design||3.15 lakhs|
B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion: College Comparison
Below is the college comparison of some of the top colleges offering B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion program in terms of several parameters like average fee, India Today Ranking 2020, college overview, admission process, top recruiter, and many others.
|Parameter||Dr. N.G.P. Arts and Science College||Dr. SNS Rajalakshmi College of Arts and Science||Kongu Arts and Science College|
|Overview||Dr. N.G.P. Arts and Science College is an organization of KMCRET trust which was established in 1997 under the leadership of Dr. Nalla G. Palaniswami, as its Chairman and Dr. Thavamani D. Palaniswami as its Managing Trustee and Secretary.||Dr.S.N.S.Rajalakshmi College of Arts and Science was established in the year 1999. The main aim of the college is to offer educational programs that will enable the students to be dynamic entrepreneurs or employable graduates.||It is an autonomous college situated at Nanjanapuram, Erode, and Tamil Nadu. The Kongu Arts and Science college is affiliated to Bharathiar University which is approved by AICTE & UGC.|
|India Today 2020 ranking (for Arts)||62||85||96|
|Location||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu||Erode, Tamil Nadu|
|Admission process||Merit based||Merit based||Merit based|
|Average annual fees||INR 0||INR 38,000||INR 0|
|Average annual package||INR 1,00,000||INR 3,60,000||INR 4,00,000 – 5,00,000|
|Top recruiters||TCS, Infosys, Wipro, Cognizant, UST Global, Amazon(Cs) etc.||Infosys, TCS , Dell, WIPRO, CG-Vak Software & Exports Ltd, Adithya Birla, SNS Datascribe etc.||TCS, Wipro, Infosys, LIC, EP Technologies, Oberoi Group of Hotels etc.|
What is the B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion Syllabus?
In India, BSc Costume Design and Fashion is a 3 years full time program which is categorized into 6 semesters. A semester- wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Analytical Drawing||Computer - Aided Design|
|Basic Photography||Current Global Fashion Trends|
|Colour Mixing||Design Process|
|Basic Computer Studies||Draping|
|Apparel Construction Methods||Elements of Design|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Elements of Textiles||Fashion Studies|
|English Communication||Free Hand Drawing|
|Fabric Dyeing and Printing||Garment Construction|
|Fashion Forecasting||Geometrical Construction|
|Fashion Illustration and Design||History of Costumes|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Pattern-making||Introduction to Pattern Making and Garment Construction|
|Surface Development Techniques||Indian Art Appreciation|
|Textile Science||Nature Drawing|
B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion: Course Comparison
The basic difference between B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion and B.Sc. Fashion Design courses are provided below in the table for the aspirants to understand the differences between these two courses:
BSc Costume Design and Fashion vs BSc Fashion Design
|Course||B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion||B.Sc. Fashion Design|
|Full form||Bachelor of Science in Costume Design and Fashion||Bachelor of Science in Fashion Design|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Course Overview||The program has been designed to offer to eligible candidates the knowledge and focus on assessing the technical know-how behind costume designing.||This programme is the study of creating designs that involve the conversion of artistic talent and creativity into creating saleable products like clothing, textiles, jewellery, footwear, and other accessories.|
|Eligibility||10+2 with science stream||10+2 from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Direct admission. Entrance test in some cases.||Direct admission. Entrance test in some cases.|
|Average tuition fee||INR 50,000 to 3,30,000 per year||INR 1,00,000 to 2,00,000|
|Job Positions||Apparel Production Manager, Costume Designer, Fashion Coordinator, Fabric Quality Control Manager, Fabric Buyer, Fashion Show Organizer, Technical Designer, Fashion Consultants, Production Pattern Maker, Showroom Sales Representative, Graphic Designer, etc.||Fashion Coordinator, Apparel Production Manager, Fabric Quality Control Manager, Fashion Consultant, Pattern Maker etc.|
|Top recruiting areas||Export Houses, Garment Store Chains, Garment Manufacturing Unit, Leather Companies, Textile Mills, Colleges and Universities, Brand Outlets, etc.||Advertising Agencies, Clothing Lines, Fashion Houses, Retail, and Entrepreneurship among others.|
|Average salary||INR 2,00,000 to 15,00,000 per annum||INR 3,00,000 to 10,00,000|
Read more: B.Sc in Fashion Designing Top Colleges
B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion: Job Profiles
We have listed some of the popular job positions offered to successful graduates of the discipline along with the corresponding job descriptions and average annual salaries offered to the graduates of B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion:
|Job Position||Description||Average Salary|
|Fashion Curator||Fashion Curators are responsible for selecting, assembling, cataloguing, managing, presenting the collections.||INR 3,50,000|
|Fashion Show Organize||Fashion Show Organizers are responsible for every aspect of the fashion show including planning the event, developing the budget, hiring staff, monitoring rehearsals till the final presentation of the show.||INR 3,70,755|
|Merchandiser||Merchandisers are responsible for ensuring the allocation of the right products at the right time in online stores or at physical stores in the correct quantities.||INR 5,30,353|
|Material Control Manager||Material Control Managers are responsible for managing all aspects of the fabric including quality and quantity, schedule, cost, warehouse, receiving, and delivery to ensure customer satisfaction.||INR 6,66,470|
|Costume Designer||Costume Designers are responsible for creating outfits worn in movies, theatre productions, or television shows.||INR 3,58,400|
B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion: Future Scope
- One can go for a higher degree program in respective subjects, e.g. Masters’ degree, etc.
- The graduates can become fashion consultants and they must be aware of the trends and transitions in the fashion market along with the knowledge about fashion designing.
- The graduates of B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion can offer ideas regularly on how to further develop a product to be readily absorbed in a market.
- This has created an increased demand for costume design and fashion courses among the younger generation.
- They can become teachers in schools both on a private and government basis.
Read more: MSc Costume Design and Fashion
B.Sc Costume Design and Fashion: FAQs
QUES: What are the eligibility criteria to apply for the B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course?
ANS: In order to become eligible for the B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course, the students must have cleared 10+2 examinations from a well-recognized board.
QUES: What are the top colleges that offer a B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion?
ANS: Some colleges which offer B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion are PSGR Krishnammal College for Women, Kongunadu Arts and Science College, Shri Krishna Arts and Science College, Calicut University etc.
QUES: Is it compulsory to sit for an entrance test for the B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course?
ANS: It completely depends upon the admission process of the college/university where you would like to take admission in B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course. Some colleges accept students on the basis of 10+2 marks while some require entrance exam scores.
QUES: What should be my average CTC after completing my B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course?
ANS: Your expected salary should be anything between INR 2, 00,000 to 15, 00,000 per annum.
QUES: Why should one pursue a B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course?
ANS: A B.Sc. in Costume Design and Fashion degree is a very valuable addition to the candidate’s CV since it offers them with opportunities that are diverse and not restricted to the local or national companies.
QUES: What skills can be acquired by pursuing B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion course?
ANS: Students pursuing B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion are required to have multiple skills such as teamwork spirit, use of initiative, communication skills, and generation of ideas and evaluation of projects.
QUES: What are employment opportunities available after B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion?
ANS: A number of firms recruit BSc B.Sc. Costume Design and Fashion students for various job roles such as Apparel Production Manager, Costume Designer, Fashion Coordinator, Fabric Quality Control Manager, Fabric Buyer, Fashion Show Organizer, Technical Designer, Fashion Consultants, Production Pattern Maker, Showroom Sales Representative, Graphic Designer, etc.