BSc Physiotherapy is a 3 year graduate-level course. Physiotherapists are qualified to provide preventive and therapeutic services which aim at restoring function and preventing disability arising from disease, trauma or injury.
Know More About Physiotherapy Course
In order to be a successful physiotherapist, one needs to have a lot of patience and should be able to deal with patients with the utmost care. It also calls for good interpersonal skills and the ability to reassure one's patients about the effectiveness of the treatment.
Check the list of Top BSc Physiotherapy Colleges in India.
To be considered eligible to seek admission to this course, candidates must have secured an aggregate of at least 50% marks in Class 12 in Science Stream.
The BSc Physiotherapy Syllabus includes study of various subjects such as Sociology, Anatomy, Microbiology, Pathology etc.
Admission to this course will be done either on the basis of the candidate's performance in the entrance test or on the basis of performance in the qualifying examination.
Some of the top colleges offering BSc Physiotherapy course in India are provided in the table given below:
|NIRF Medical Ranking 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Average Fees per annum||Average Annual Placement Offer|
|3||Christian Medical College, Vellore||Merit followed by preliminary test (CBT)||INR 23,280||INR 3,54,000|
|12||Madras Medical College, Chennai||Merit/ TNPCEE exam||INR 28,000||INR 3,00,000|
|13||Sri Ramchandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai||Entrance Test conducted by the college||INR 28,000||INR 3,80,000|
|18||Christian Medical College||Entrance-Based||INR 88,500||INR 6,28,000|
|21||Kasturba Medical College||Entrance-Based||INR 2,30,000||INR 5,79,000|
The average course fee to pursue this course ranges between INR 1,00,000 and INR 5,00,000.
BSc Physiotherapy graduates can work as physiotherapists in a variety of health care settings including hospitals, clinics, rehabilitation centers, child development centers, senior citizens centers, sports and fitness centers, schools/ universities, industries and communities.
They may also serve as Educators, Administrators, Researchers and Consultants. Graduates have the opportunity to work in India or Abroad to pursue graduate studies and to get involved in research activities.
The average BSc Physiotherapy salary can be from INR 2,00,000 to INR 7,00,000, depending on student’s skills.
BSc Physiotherapy Admission Process
BSc Physiotherapy admissions are done through entrance examination mode or direct admission. The step by step process to get admitted through entrance examinations is given below.
Source: College Websites
Entrance Exam Based Admission
- Universities/Colleges that conduct entrance examinations, usually require candidates to apply and download the required Admit Card/Hall Ticket for the specified entrance exams and attempt the examination on the stipulated date and time
- Once the University/College releases the respective results of the entrance exam, merit lists for the same will be released, containing the names of the candidates along with the marks and ranks they secured.
- All admissions to the programs are based on the scores obtained in the entrance exams.
- Selected candidates need to then send their documents for verification.
- Candidates should fill the application form of the college and select the course BSc in Physiotherapy
- Since the admission is on the basis of scores of 10+2, candidates should perform well in their Higher Secondary Examinations
- After paying the application fees and submitting the application form, college releases the cut-off list and list of candidates selected
- Candidates need to then send their documents for verification
BSc Physiotherapy Eligibility
Candidates who wish to pursue BSc Physiotherapy need to have completed the below-mentioned eligibility criteria:
- Must have completed 10+2 from a recognized board with a minimum aggregate of 50%.
- For SC/ST/OBC students, the minimum marks requirement is 45%.
- Students passing 10+2 should have studied Physics, Chemistry and Biology as their main subjects.
- Candidates should be at least 17 years of age.
BSc Physiotherapy Entrance Exams
Some of the Top BSc Physiotherapy Entrance Exams are:
IPU CET: This is a national level test, conducted in the month of May for graduate or postgraduate admission to colleges of Indraprastha University
LPUNEST: This is a popular entrance exam conducted by Lovely Professional University for UG and PG courses
The dates of application and examination for the above-mentioned examinations are mentioned in the table below.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|IPU CET 2020||June 10, 2020||To be notified later||Online|
|LPUNEST 2020||July 25, 2020||Till July 31, 2020||Remotely-proctored exam|
|IEMJEE 2020||February 9, 2020||Exams are conducted in 5 phases||Remotely Proctored Internet-Based Test (IBT)|
|VEE 2020||April 2020||To be announced||Offline|
How to Prepare for BSc Physiotherapy Entrance Exams?
Some of the important points that candidates can keep in mind while preparing for Bsc Physiotherapy entrance exams are given below:
- Syllabus: Students must go through the syllabus of the course and mark all the important topics from syllabus
- Revise important topics: Revise all the important topics from the syllabus. Make sure to solve all questions that are related to the important topics.
- Practice Previous Year’s Question Papers: Solve previous year’s question paper so that you can get use to the question and it will also help in increasing your speed as the exam will be in online mode
- Mock Test: Candidates can solve and give the online mock test at the official website. It will increase efficiency and speed and will boost up your confidence.
How To Get Admission In a Top BSc Physiotherapy College?
To secure admission into a top-ranking BSc Physiotherapy college, a number of factors come into play. Some of the following tips will be helpful in that regard.
- Be aware of the types of questions and the difficulty level of the questions asked in different entrance exams. Some papers are comparatively easier to attempt than the others.
- Since questions are asked from the syllabus covered at the 10+2 level of schooling, going over the material and notes would be sufficient. Revision of all basic concepts must be done.
- Be aware of all dates and deadlines. Examination application dates, exam dates, etc. are changed and advertised in all major newspapers. It is important to keep track of any such news.
- Take a look at the daily news and affairs of the world regularly. Keeping up to date with the news will help in preparation for the exam and counseling round but also act as a break from studying.
BSc Physiotherapy: What is it about?
Check the below-mentioned points to know more about BSc Physiotherapy course details:
- The aim of the undergraduate course in Physiotherapy is to equip students with skills and expertise to treat a variety of disabilities and impairments. It also aims to improve the diagnostic skills of a therapist.
- Students gain knowledge of Cardiorespiratory, Neurological and Musculoskeletal systems in carrying out Physiotherapy. Other than the usual theoretical classes on the subject and physiotherapy workshops, students get to build upon their competency by practicing in physiotherapy centers.
- The courses on Physiotherapy are conducted in various streams that may range from Orthopedics, Neurosciences, Cardio-Pulmonary Science, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Women Health, Community Physiotherapy, Wound Care, Sports and Clinical Biomechanics.
- The subject area may include topics on Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Sports Science and Sports Therapy.
- This B.Sc degree enables the students to develop valuable skills that will help them advance in their profession whether they are looking for promotion within clinical practice or a move into academia or research.
BSc Physiotherapy Course Highlights
The course highlights for BSc Physiotherapy have been put in a table below. All the important information regarding this course has been mentioned below.
|Full form||Bachelor of Science (Physiotherapy)|
|Eligibility||10+2 with 50% aggregate from a recognized university|
|Admission process||Entrance test|
|Average Annual Course fee||INR 1,00,000 to INR 5,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 to INR 7,00,000|
|Job Positions||Starting position in Hospitals, Educational Institutions, Health Institutions, Laboratories, Colleges etc.|
Why BSc Physiotherapy?
Students can choose BSc Physiotherapy due to its following advantages:
- BSc in Physiotherapy is an in-demand course where students are placed in health institutes, hospitals etc. or they can start their own practice as well.
- In terms of knowledge, students get familiarity with sources of current and new research and knowledge with integration of concepts from outside fields.
- Students get an understanding of the critical approach to the creation and compilation of a systematic and coherent body of knowledge and concepts gained from a range of sources.
- Candidates develop Technical, creative and analytical skills appropriate to solving specialized problems using evidentiary and procedural based processes in predictable and new contexts that include devising and sustaining arguments associated with a field of work or discipline.
- There are a large number of job opportunities for degree holders in Physiotherapy in India and Abroad where students can earn and are at a more likely chance to get into a higher position.
- Both government and private sector organizations recruit BSc Physiotherapy candidates on a regular basis.
- The salary package offered to Physiotherapy students is good and the demand for this program is increasing day by day. So, the salary offered to Physiotherapy students is expected to increase further in future.
Source: Collegedunia website, quora.
BSc Physiotherapy vs BPT
Both BSc Physiotherapy and Bachelor of Physiotherapy are similar to each other. Some of the most prominent differences between these courses are provided in the table given below:
Below are the major points of difference in between BSc in Physiotherapy and BPT are:
|Full Form||Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy||Bachelor of Physiotherapy|
|Type||Academic Degree||Academic degree|
|Objective||BSc Physiotherapy is a 3-year long course that candidates can pursue after Class 12. This course aims to equip students with skills and expertise to treat a variety of disabilities and impairments||BPT is a 4.5 year long (including internship) bachelor’s degree the aspiring medical students can pursue. Hospitals prefer BPT graduates to BSc graduates for this field; the former is a more in-depth and pertinent course.|
|Admission Process||Merit or Entrance exam||Merit or Entrance Exam|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 3,50,000||INR 2,24,000|
|Average Placement Package||INR 5,00,000||INR 6,00,000|
Source: College Websites
Top Colleges for BSc Physiotherapy
Some of the top colleges offering BSc in Physiotherapy program are provided in the table below:
|NIRF Medical College Ranking 2020||College Name||City||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Placement Package|
|3||Christian Medical College||Vellore||INR 23,280||INR 3,40,000|
|12||Madras Medical College||Chennai||INR 28,000||INR 3,00,000|
|13||Sri Ramchandra Institute of Higher Education and Research||Chennai||INR 28,000||INR 3,80,000|
|18||Christian Medical College||Ludhiana||INR 88,500||INR 6,28,000|
|21||Kasturba Medical College||Mangalore||INR 2,30,000||INR 5,79,000|
|35||Annamalai University||Tamil Nadu||INR 33,480||INR 3,28,000|
|__||Seth GS Medical College||Mumbai||INR 29,700||INR 4,00,000|
|__||Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College||Mumbai||INR 44,335||INR 4,85,000|
|__||SRM Institute of Technology||Tamil Nadu||INR 1,85,000||INR 6,86,000|
BSc in Physiotherapy College Comparison
Below table shows some of the major differences between top BSc Physiotherapy colleges in India:
|Parameter||Christian Medical College, Vellore||Madras Medical College, Chennai||Seth GS Medical College, Mumbai|
|Overview||CMC Vellore is a private educational and research institute, established in 1900. It is affiliated to The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University. The college offers multiple UG, PG & Doctoral courses focusing on the areas of Medicine, Surgery and Nursing.||Madras Medical College (MMC) is affiliated to The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University. The college offers multiple UG, PG, PG Diploma and super specialty courses||The University of Kota was established in the year 2003 by the Government of Rajasthan through ‘The University of Kota Act, 2003’. The motto of the University is “Satyam, Shivam and Sundarum” means the search for truth, the quest for welfare and urge for the best.|
|NIRF Rank 2020||3||12||78|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 23,280||INR 28,000||INR 29,700|
|Average Annual Salary Package||INR 3,54,000||INR 3,00,000||INR 4,00,000|
|Admission mode||Merit followed by preliminary test (CBT)||Merit/ TNPCEE exam||Counseling on basis of NEET–UG score|
|Placement Companies||Nightingale's, Narayana Hrudayalaya and other health care providers||Healthcare providers||Healthcare providers|
Source: College Websites
BSc in Physiotherapy Syllabus
The duration of this course is 3 years which is divided into six semesters. The curriculum of BSc Physiotherapy program includes Biochemistry, Anatomy, Microbiology etc. The semester-wise syllabus of BSc in Physiotherapy course is mentioned below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|English||Orientation to Physiotherapy|
|Basic Nursing||Integrated Seminars|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Pharmacology||Research Methodology & Biostatistics|
|First Aid & CPR||Introduction to Treatment|
|Constitution of India||Clinical Observation Posting|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|General Medicine||Orthopedics and Sports Physiotherapy|
|General Surgery||Supervised Rotatory Clinical Training|
|Orthopedics and Traumatology||Allied Therapie|
BSc in Physiotherapy Books
Some of the important books that students can refer to while pursuing BSc Physiotherapy program are given below:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Orthopedic Physical Assessment||David J Magee|
|Therapeutic Exercise||Carol Kisner|
|The Principles of Exercise Therapy||Deena Gardiner|
|Manual Therapy Approaches In Neuro-Physiotherapy||Ganvir Suvarna|
|Manual of Mulligan Concept (Revised Edition)||Deepak Kumar|
|Manipulative Physiotherapy Assessment, Treatment and Improvisation||Biswas Amrit|
|Essentials of Orthopedics for Physiotherapists||Ebnezar|
BSc in Physiotherapy Job Profiles And Career Prospects
There are a large number of job options available to Physiotherapy graduates. Some of the prominent ones are given below:
- Physiotherapists are very important and the course is gaining momentum in almost every sector as it is important for the person to reduce stress and problems related to it. As a physiotherapist, one will have a range of options for career progression and specialization.
- If one chooses to work in the public sector, one could work in a variety of departments including occupational health, orthopedics and intensive care.
- You may work in a hospital department, a GP surgery, or a care home on completion of this course.
- One could also specialize in Sports Therapy, becoming the Resident Physiotherapist for a sports team, or help armed service veterans with rehabilitation.
Some of the job options available to students after completing this course are mentioned below:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Physiotherapist/Chief Physiotherapist||Offering physiotherapy care for patients in a clinical setup||INR 2,80,000|
|Researcher/Research Assistant||Coordinate with other team members to test parameters and accomplish research goals||INR 5,38,000|
|Lecturer||Educate students at undergraduate and postgraduate level in colleges of physiotherapy||INR 2,62,000|
|Home Care Physiotherapist||Offer care to clients directly at their home set up||INR 3,52,000|
|Sports Physio rehabilitator||Work with agencies to take care of injuries of a sports person||INR 5,00,000|
|Therapy Manager||Therapy Managers tend to work on the therapy of some of the premium aspects which are related to the course of an individual.||INR 5,40,000|
Source: College Websites
BSc Physiotherapy Future Scope
Career in Physiotherapy promises a large number of challenging and interesting jobs in the healthcare system. As a Physiotherapist, you can get specializations in the fields such as Geriatrics, Cardiorespiratory, Orthopaedics & Neurology.
You can also get a doctorate degree & work in the research field. In future, there is a wide scope of Physiotherapy. Students can pursue higher education like:
- MSc in Physiotherapy: The MSc Physiotherapy is a full time program that is normally completed over two years and gives a candidate an accelerated route into the profession. The course is research-led, bringing together recognized experts in research, education and clinical practice and provides an exceptional student experience.
- Master of Physiotherapy [MPT]: Masters in Physiotherapy offers an opportunity to experience practical learning and to gain required skills to be an expert physiotherapist. This is one of the emerging professions in ‘Fit India’ and will offer ample opportunity over the years. MPT (Masters in Physiotherapy) includes one specialized subject and detailed analysis about the same with research published articles and internships of at least six months.
BSc Physiotherapy FAQs
Some of the most frequently asked questions pertaining to BSc Physiotherapy program are as follows:
Ques. What is the duration of a BSc Physiotherapy course?
Ans. BSc Physiotherapy is a three year graduate-level course in India. The course is divided into six semesters in three years.
Ques. How does the admission take place in the BSc Physiotherapy course?
Ans. Admission to this course takes place through merit as well as through entrance examinations depending on the college guidelines.
Ques. What is the basic eligibility criteria that candidates need to fulfil to pursue BSc Physiotherapy?
Ans. Candidates must have passed Class 12 or equivalent with Science stream from a recognized board with an aggregate of at least 50% marks to apply to this course.
Ques. What are the different modes in which one can pursue a BSc Physiotherapy course?
Ans. Candidates can take up a full-time BSc Physiotherapy course from a college/ University.
Ques. What are the job avenues after completing the BSc Physiotherapy program?
Ans. There are a large number of job options after completing BSc (Physiotherapy) program. Some of them include working as Lecturer, Physiotherapist/Chief Physiotherapist, Researcher/ Research Assistant, Home Care Physiotherapist, Sports Physio Rehabilitator, Therapy Manager.
Ques. Can I grab an international opportunity after completing the BSc Physiotherapy course?
Ans. Yes. There’s a great scope of grabbing an international opportunity after completing BSc Physiotherapy course.
Ques. What is the average placement package that a graduate can expect on completion of this course?
Ans. The average placement package that a student gets after course completion can be from INR 2,00,000 to INR 7,00,000.
Ques. Name some of the top colleges in India that offer BSc Physiotherapy course?
Ans. Some of the top colleges in India offering BSc Physiotherapy program are as follows:
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- Madras Medical College, Chennai
- Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
- Seth GS Medical College, Mumbai
Ques. What is the average fee to pursue a BSc Physiotherapy course in India?
Ans. The average course fee to pursue this course ranges between INR 1,00,000 and INR 5,00,000.
Ques. What are the skillsets required for the BSc Physiotherapy course?
Ans. Physiotherapy course demands its candidates to have complete clinical knowledge and the underlying principle behind all the clinical modalities performed for the patients. The professionals need to be extremely tolerant with their patients and have high levels of understanding of their illness and sufferings. They have to restore confidence in their patients and explain every step of their therapy before performing it on them.
Ques. Are Physiotherapists called Doctors?
Ans. Though Physiotherapists use the prefix Dr., they are not considered doctors. As the course name suggests, they are just bachelor degree holders who render their services in a large number of multispeciality hospitals.
Ques. Do Physiotherapists use equipment to treat patients?
Ans. Physiotherapists are trained to treat their patients mostly by using physiotherapy techniques but in very rare cases where a patient doesn't respond to the treatment, physiotherapists use various equipment such as balance balls and chairs, trampoline, mobility equipment etc.