BTech Pharmaceutical Technology is an engineering degree for a duration of 4 years. The course focuses on pharmaceutical drugs, their preparation, dosage, manufacturing etc. The admissions to the course are based on entrance exams. The eligible students are those who have passed 10+2 or equivalent from a recognized board.
The admissions to the course is mainly based on entrance exams like TNEA. Upon qualifying the entrance exam set, one can get a seat for the course at a university and the average course fee charged is about INR 1.45 Lakhs.
The course focuses entirely on the pharmaceutical industry and are trained in making the industry more efficient, bringing out new technologies, developing the pharma sector and troubleshooting problems associated with it. This makes companies like Ranbaxy, Cipla, Dabur Labs, Sun Pharma recruit graduates of this course. The average salary given to a BTech Pharmaceutical Technology graduate ranges between INR 3 to 5 lakhs per annum.
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology is not offered in many institutes across India. After completion of the course, students can get a job in the pharmaceutical sector and start their career as Drug inspector, pharmacology expert, quality manager, Research and design.
Checkout: Top BTech colleges in India
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology: Admission Process
The admissions in BTech Pharmaceutical Technology is based solely on entrance exams. Many state level and national level entrance exams are held throughout the country and students can take up the exam they feel is more suitable for them. Marks scored in class 12 can also be given weightage at times. The guide to admissions for the course is as follows:
- Registering for the entrance test by visiting the official website of the exam is the first step to do, fill the details in the application form and upload documents asked such as photographs, signatures etc.
- Pay the application fee for the exam through the payment mode available on the website.
- The admit card will be available after the completion of the above steps on the official website. You should download it once available and take a print for future reference.
- Appear for the exam at the allotted centre and give your best. Candidate must utilise time properly and try to score as much as possible.
- The results will be announced which the student needs to check along with the college's/ Institute accepting their score.
- Counselling rounds will be held soon after results are announced where candidates will be short-listed. The short-listed candidates will be selected and given a seat for the course in the college/ institute.
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology: Eligibility Criteria
- The candidate should have passed class 10+2 or equivalent from a recognised board in physics, mathematics, and chemistry as mandatory subjects with at least 50% aggregate marks.
- The candidate should have also qualified in the entrance exam taken up.
- Candidates who have appeared for class 12 exams can also apply.
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology: Entrance Exams
Anna University Chennai is the only university in the country to offer BTech Pharmaceutical Technology course, hence it is wise to write Tamil Nadu Engineering Exam (TNEA).
- TNEA: Tamil Nadu Engineering Admission is a state level entrance exam conducted by Anna University for admissions into Engineering, Architecture and Pharmaceutical courses in the state of Tamil Nadu.
|Entrance Exam||Conducting body||Exam Date||Mode of exam|
|TNEA||Anna University||Second week of June, 2021||Online|
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology: Entrance Exam Preparation Tips
- Make a good attempt in your class 12 since the marks scored in class 12 is given weightage during admissions.
- Make a schedule and follow it religiously so that the entire syllabus can be covered and also enough time is left for revision.
- Try to learn concepts and basics as much as possible and avoid byhearting.
- Revise the syllabus and practice previous year papers.
- Learn about the exam pattern and time allotted for each section of the question paper. This will give you an idea about how much time to be given for each section.
- Talk to seniors and ask for advice and try to contact the alumni of the college.
BTech Pharmaceutical: How to get Admission in a good college?
- The first thing to do would be to get good marks in the class 12 itself as the marks scored in degree is given weightage.
- Apply for the exam you wish to write by either visiting the official website of the college or through offline mode that is visiting the college campus.
- Candidates must fill the application form carefully, upload the documents the college has asked for in the application form in the prescribed dimensions and format.
- Download hall tickets and keep in mind the allotted exam centre.
- Appear for the exam on the examination day and give your best shot at it.
- The results will be announced, and students will be called for counselling soon after.
- In the counselling stage, personal interview or group discussions may be held so prepare for that as well.
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology: What is it about?
- BTech Pharmaceutical Technology is an engineering degree offered at UG level for a duration of 4 years. The course is designed to impart students with knowledge on the pharmaceutical industry, drugs, medicine, preparation etc.
- The course is divided into 8 semesters throughout the entire 4 years. Scope for Higher education is also available like ME/MTech Pharmaceutical Technology or even research and PhD. The average fee is about INR 1-3 lakhs.
- Throughout the course students study topics like process development, manufacturing, formulation and drug delivery, API synthesis, analytical technology and testing, packaging, IT, outsourcing, and regulatory of [pharmaceuticals.
- It is a professional course which is gaining popularity in recent times and trains a student about chemical application in the field of medicine and pharmaceutical, various chemical systems and applications, production of medicines and drugs, construction of pharma factories and plants etc.
- Graduates of this course work in huge drug and pharma companies like Dabur labs, Ranbaxy, Sun Pharma as Drug inspector, pharmacology expert, quality manager, Research expert etc and receive an average salary of INR 3 – 5 LPA.
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology: Course Highlights
|Full Form||Bachelor of Technology in Pharmaceutical Technology|
|Eligibility||Passed 10+2 or equivalent in physics, mathematics and chemistry with at least 50% marks|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam|
|Course Fees||INR 1 – 3 lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 3 – 5 LPA|
|Recruiting Companies||Dabur Labs, Ranbaxy, Sun pharma etc.|
|Job Profiles||Drug inspector, pharmacology expert, quality manager, Research and design|
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology: Course Advantages
Since BTech Pharmaceutical Technology is a professional course offered for four years, a lot of demand has been around the graduates in this course. The advantages are:
- Students who are interested in Pharmaceutical and want to make a change in other’s life should join this course as it is closely related to healthcare.
- Excellent job opportunities in government and private sectors. Many government hospitals, day care centres, pharmaceutical factories recruit the graduates of this course.
- BTech Pharmaceutical Technology produces technologists with a sound understanding of the biological action of drugs and chemicals, the way they work at the molecular, cellular and systems level and their use in medicines for the treatment of disease.
- The salary package provided is also good with a mean salary of about INR 2.5 - 5 lakhs per annum which is satisfactory for graduates with little or no experience.
- Top Recruiters of BTech Pharmaceutical Technology are Big companies like Dabur, Ranbaxy, Cipla and many more.
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology: Course Comparison
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology vs BTech Chemical Science and Technology: Which one to choose?
Below given is a course comparison between BTech Chemical Science and Btech Pharmaceutical Technology courses.
|Parameter||BTech Pharmaceutical Technology||BTech Chemical Science and Technology|
|Full form||Bachelor of Technology in Pharmaceutical Technology||Bachelor of Technology in Chemical Science and Technology|
|Overview||The course is about drugs, medicine, dosage and research in the field of pharmaceutical.||The course deals with chemical reactions and its usage in industries like pharmacy, petroleum, food etc.|
|Duration||4 years||4 years|
|Eligibility||Passed in 10+2 from a recognised board with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics||Passed in 10+2 from a recognised board with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 1 – 3 lakhs||INR 4 – 6 lakhs|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 2.5 – 5 LPA||INR 3 – 5 LPA|
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology: Top Colleges
|College Name||Average Fees||Average Salary Package|
|Anna University, Chennai||INR 1.45 Lakhs||INR 5 LPA|
|Anna University BIT, Tiruchirappalli||INR 1.45 Lakhs||INR 4.5 LPA|
|Mangalayatan University, Aligarh||INR 1.40 Lakhs||INR 3.8 LPA|
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology Top College Comparison
|Parameter||Anna University||Mangalayatan University|
|Overview||Anna University is a Public university which has 13 constituent colleges under it. Admission is done on the basis of entrance exam at the state or national level namely TNEA, TANCET, NATA||Mangalayatan University is a private university established in 2006. It is accredited to UGC and AICTE. It is awarded the Excellence in Training & Placement Award by elets Technomedia.|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh|
|Average Fees||INR 1.45 lakhs||INR 1.4 lakh|
|Average Package offered||INR 5.7 LPA||INR 3.5 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Dabur, Cipla, Ranbaxy||Dabur, Ranbaxy|
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology: Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Mathematics I||Mathematics II|
|Elements of Mechanical Engineering||Civil|
|Computer Science||Modern Biology|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Probability and statistics||Environmental Science|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry I||Analytical Methods and Instrumentation|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry – II||Medicinal Chemistry – I|
|Pharmacology – I (Theory +Laboratory)||Pharmacology – II|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Biochemical Engineering||Total Quality Management|
|Medicinal Chemistry – II (Theory +Advanced Lab)||Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms (Theory + Lab)|
|Regulatory issues in Pharmaceutical Industry and Drug Validation||Genetic Engineering and Pharmacogenomics (Theory + Lab)|
|Electives (I & II)||Electives (III & IV)|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Pharmacognosy (Theory + Lab)||Advanced Drug Delivery Systems (Theory + Lab)|
|Immunology||Project and Research work|
|Advanced Drug Delivery Lab||-|
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology: Recommended Books
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry – 1||NC Chaudhry|
|Medicinal Chemistry||Ashutosh Kar|
|Pharmacognosy||Gayathri V Patil|
|Pharmaceutical Technology -2||Gaurav Agarwal|
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology: Jobs and Career
|Research Analyst||INR 2 – 4 LPA|
|Pharmacologist||INR 3 – 5 LPA|
|Quality Manager||INR 5 – 8 LPA|
|Drug analyst||INR 2.5 – 5 LPA|
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology: Future Scope
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology has various opportunities after their graduation. These are:
- Job: The graduates in BTech Pharmaceutical Technology can always opt for a job in many different sectors such as government departments, colleges and universities, research institutes, Pharmacist shops, drug companies etc.
- ME / MTech: BTech Pharmaceutical Technology students can pursue ME/MTech in the field of Pharmaceutical Technology and Bio-pharmaceutical. This course is for 2 years and admissions are done through entrance exams like GATE.
- MBA: Another popular option amongst engineers is MBA. Engineers from any stream or specialisation can pursue MBA. The course is offered for a year or two and mode of admissions is an entrance test like CAT, GMAT etc.
- MS: Graduates in BTech Pharmaceutical Technology can also go for MS in foreign countries and settle there.
BTech Pharmaceutical Technology: FAQs
Ques. What is the average salary for the course?
Ques. Which is the best college in India for BTech Pharmaceutical Technology.?
Ques. What is the average salary given to graduates in BTech Pharmaceutical Technology?
Ques. What is the TNEA exam pattern?
Ques. What are the cut off marks in Anna University?
Ques. What is the fee for the course in Anna University?
Ques. What is the average salary given to a Pharmacologist?
Ques. Can I get a direct admission for the course based on my marks scored in class 12?
Ques. How to get lateral entry for diploma students?