Biomedical Engineering is identified as one of the branches of engineering which deals with the application of engineering principles to medicine and biology, aiming to streamline the healthcare services in India. It is a multidisciplinary stream and there is an increasing demand for biomedical engineers today.
Biomedical engineering addresses all the medical needs of the people by combining engineering principles with machinery and technology. The growth in the medical field towards biomedical solutions has led to the employment of biomedical engineers in the country.
Biomedical engineering courses are available at different levels i.e at UG, PG, and doctorate levels. Many universities and colleges offer this course and there is a growth in the number of students opting for this course today.
|Diploma & PG Diploma Courses||
|Bachelor Biomedical Engineering Courses||
|Master Biomedical Engineering Courses||
|Doctorate Biomedical Engineering Courses||
- The duration of all these courses varies from level to level.
- These courses vary from 3 to 4 years at the graduate level, 2 years at the postgraduate level, and 1 year in the case of diploma courses. Certificate programs on this course can vary from 1 week to 1 year.
- The top specializations in computer courses include languages like Biomaterials, systems physiology, medical imaging, Rehabilitation Engineering, Clinical Engineering, Tissue Engineering, Neural Engineering, Computational Modelling, surgical instruments and medical devices, biomechanics, telehealth, medical imaging, computational modeling, biosignal processing, etc,.
- The jobs that are available after completing these programs are Manufacturing Engineer, Quality Engineer, Software Engineer, Researcher, Physician, etc.
- The average salary is from INR 3,00,000 Lakhs per year in India.
Biomedical Engineering Courses: Highlights
Here is a detailed view of the details regarding biomedical engineering courses.
|Types of Online Courses||Udemy, Coursera, and many universities offer online courses|
|Top Job Prospects||Manufacturing Engineer, Physician, Software Engineer, Quality Engineer, Researcher, etc|
Certificate Biomedical Engineering Courses
- Certificate programs in this biomedical engineering stream are offered by various prestigious institutions and universities to help students to acquire more knowledge in their respective fields.
- The length of these programs can be from a few weeks to 1 year.
- These programs are offered both in online and offline modes.
- These programs are designed in such a way that they help students to gain in-depth knowledge of the subject and also provides all the inner aspects of the subjects. These courses add an advantage to students' progress and job career.
- These programs are full time, part-time and some of the courses are self-paced which does not demand a lot of time from you.
- Students who wish to settle in the biomedical field can choose these courses and these will help to acquire a job with a good package.
Below is the table of certificate programs in biomedical engineering with the required details.
|Introduction to Biomedical engineering||Coursera||18 hours||Free|
|Biomedical visualization||Coursera||22 hours||Free|
|Introduction to Biomedical Imaging||Edx University of Queensland||12 weeks Self-paced||Free|
|So, you want to become a biomedical engineer||Edx ( University of California )||4 weeks Self-paced||Free|
|Fundamentals of Biomedical Imaging: Magnetic||Edx Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne||6 weeks Self-paced||Free|
Offline Certificate Biomedical Engineering Course
Many institutes and training centers also offer computer course certificates through classroom methods of teaching. Though the list of such courses is also endless, we have accumulated some of the top courses in the list below.
|Certificate Name||Colleges Offering|
|Certificate in biomedical engineering||Tufts school of engineering|
|Certificate course in biomedical engineering||National Qualification Register, Govt of India|
|Certificate in human factors in Medical devices and systems||Tufts school of engineering|
How are Admissions in Certificate Programs of Biomedical Engineering Courses Done?
- Admissions in online and offline Biomedical courses are done simply.
- For an online course, you need to provide the information required by the provider and join the course.
- Some premier institutes do analyze your profile and the answers to questionnaires asked.
- For an offline course, you need to meet the qualification required by the college and some colleges select the candidates on a merit basis.
- Few colleges may directly give you admission into the course.
- Depending on your score in previous academics, few colleges might select the candidates in offline mode.
Top Colleges for Biomedical Engineering Course Certificates
Below, are the top institutions offering online and offline certificate courses. This info may help students to select the institutions as per their requirements.
Colleges for Online Biomedical Engineering Certificates Courses
|Times Higher Education Global Ranking 2020||College Name||Location|
|1||University of Michigan||USA|
|4||Tufts University - School of Engineerings||California, USA|
|5||Stevens Institute of technology||New Jersey|
|96||Old Dominion university||Virginia|
Diploma and PG Diploma Biomedical Engineering Courses
Diploma and PG Diploma courses differ in terms of the eligibility criteria they ask for. While a diploma computer course can be pursued after you complete class 12 (class 10 also in some cases), a PG diploma or postgraduate diploma is pursued after completing graduation.
- Diploma courses offer specific knowledge compared to elaborated teaching in full-time bachelor and master degrees. Therefore, they save both time and money.
- While the diploma courses are 1-year long, PG Diploma courses can be of both 1 and 2 years duration.
- These courses are also preferred by students who want to join the job sector soon, rather than dedicating long years to detailed education.
- Just like certificate programs, diploma computer courses also give you the flexibility to choose from a huge set of specializations.
- Aspirants who are planning to save on resources and pursue a more career-oriented course should go for Diploma and PG Diploma computer courses.
- The average salary after diploma courses is around INR 2-5 lakh in India currently.
Diploma Biomedical Engineering Courses
As discussed earlier, the Biomedical engineering course is a blend of medicine and engineering thus providing exposure to biological concepts with the help of engineering techniques. A Diploma and PG Diploma in bioengineering courses will help students in understanding machines and technical systems which are of great help in the medical field.
- Diploma and PG Diploma courses differ in eligibility criteria.
- Candidates who passed class X or XII with science stream can go for Diploma course.
- For a PG Diploma course, A first or second-class degree in engineering, physical or biological sciences, or any other equivalent qualification is required.
- Diploma in biomedical engineering is a full length 3 years program and the course is all about gaining knowledge of medical technology along with engineering concepts.
- PG Diploma in biomedical engineering is 1-2 years depending on the institutions.
- In PG Diploma courses, you have an option to select your specializations as per your interest.
- These courses are generally preferred by people who want to join the job sector soon, rather than dedicating long years to detailed education.
- The average salary after diploma courses is around INR 3-6 lakhs in India for PG diploma students and 10-30k for diploma students.
Top Diploma Biomedical Engineering Courses
|Diploma Name||Colleges Offering||Average Fees|
|Diploma in bioinstrumentation||
|Diploma in medical imaging||
|Diploma/ Advanced diploma in bioInformatics||
Top PG Diploma Biomedical Engineering Courses
PG Diploma courses are pursued after one has completed his or her graduation or some diploma course. Both should be in the related field only.
Some of the top PG Diploma biomedical engineering Courses in India are given below. In addition to that, some online courses from foreign universities are also mentioned.
|PG Diploma Name||Colleges Offering||Mode|
|Post Graduate Diploma in Cell & Tissue Engineering||
||Distance learning/ offline|
|Post Graduate Diploma in Stem Cell Therapy||
|Post Graduate Diploma in Molecular Techniques||
|PG Diploma in Artificial Intelligence||
How are the Admissions in Diploma and PG Diploma Biomedical Engineering Courses Done?
Diploma Biomedical Engineering Courses (h4)
- Candidates must complete the X Class or class XII with science and mathematics as subjects from the feeTestingrecognized board
- A student must get 50% in the previous academics.
- The admission process is based on merit.
PG Diploma Biomedical Engineering Courses
- Graduates in engineering or MSc in biomedical engineering subjects with qualifying marks are eligible.
- Diploma in biomedical engineering candidates is also eligible.
- Few institutions conduct entrance tests to get a seat.
Colleges for Diploma and PG Diploma Biomedical Engineering Courses
Top Colleges for Diploma Biomedical Engineering Courses
Given below are the colleges in India which offer Diploma Biomedical Engineering Courses.
|AWH Polytechnic College||Calicut, Kerala|
|Gujarat Technical University||Ahmedabad, Gujarat|
|KMCT Polytechnic College||Kozhikode, Kerala|
Top Colleges for PG Diploma Biomedical Engineering Courses
Given below are the colleges in India which offer PG Diploma Biomedical Engineering Courses
Bachelor Biomedical Engineering Courses
Bachelor biomedical engineering courses are gaining popularity with innovations in the medical field. This course integrates engineering techniques and medical fields to improve the healthcare industry.
- These courses are available in online and offline modes.
- There are multiple specializations and sub-streams to opt for a candidate who goes for a bachelor’s degree.
- The duration of these courses ranges from 3-4 years.
- Admissions are taken on a merit basis in few colleges or through an entrance test.
- Entrance tests can be at the national level or state level.
- Few institutions conduct their entrance test and allot seats based on marks obtained in the test.
- The average salary of a graduate in biomedical engineering is from 3-6 lakhs per annum.
- Aspirants who want to settle in the biomedical field will pursue these courses as it provides depth knowledge of the subjects and practical knowledge too.
Top Undergraduate (UG) Biomedical Engineering Courses
Here is the list of top colleges offering biomedical engineering courses with fee details.
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Fees|
|BTech in Biomedical Engineering||IIT Kanpur, NIT Rourkela, Karunya Institute of Technology and Science, Rajalakshmi Engineering Colleges||INR 50,000 - 2 Lakhs|
|BSc in Biomedical Engineering||
||INR 2 - 3 Lakhs|
|B.Sc (Hons) in Biomedica; Science||
||INR 50,000 - 60,000|
|BE in Biomedical Engineering||IIT Roorkee, ACE engineering college, Anna university, Bharati Vidyapeeth college of engineering||INR 50,000 - 4.5 Lakhs|
How are Admission in Bachelor Biomedical Engineering Courses Done?
- Eligibility of a candidate is a score of at least 50% at 10+2 or equivalent level.
- Admission in Bachelor’s engineering courses is done through both entrances as well as merit-basis.
- Entrance tests differ from state to state.
- JEE Advanced, JEE MAINS, UPSEE is the national level entrance test.
- BITSAT, LPUNEST, etc are other popular entrance tests conducted by their institutions.
Bachelor Biomedical Engineering Course Entrance Exams
The table below gives details of exams considered for admission in UG s in India.
|Entrance Exam||Exam Date||Conducting Body||Mode|
|JEE MAIN||Yet to be announced||National Testing Agency||online|
|JEE Advanced||27th Sep 2020||Joint admission board||online|
|BITSAT||Postponed||Birla Institute of Technology and Science||online|
|VITEEE||Canceled||Vellore institute of technology||online|
Colleges for Bachelor Biomedical Engineering Courses
The table below shows some of the best colleges for pursuing bachelor's degrees in biomedical engineering courses.
Master Biomedical Engineering Courses
Master Biomedical engineering courses are very popular and an extension to the graduation courses. There are many specializations offered by different universities which will help students to research on the subject of their interest.
- The duration of this Master’s course is 2 years in most cases.
- Some of the major specializations offered by biomedical engineering students are biomaterials, biotechnology, health data science, immune engineering, biosensors, and bioinstrumentation.
- These courses give students in-depth knowledge of the subject and help them to settle in high positions in their careers.
- Admissions are done through entrance exams by most institutions.
- So, students who prefer to research a particular topic can pursue this course as it helps them to gain much knowledge about the subject.
- The average salary of master biomedical engineering graduates is INR 41,35,678 per annum.
Top Postgraduate (PG) Biomedical Engineering Courses
Given below are details of top biomedical engineering courses:
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees|
|MS in Biomedical Engineering||Indian Institute of technology, Lovely Professional University, MIT college of engineering, Karpaga Vinayaga college of engineering and technology||INR 50,000 to 2 lakhs|
|MTech in Biomedical Engineering||IIT Madras, IIT Delhi, IIT Mumbai, IIT Kharagpur||INR 10,000 to 2 lakhs|
|ME in Biomedical Engineering||IIT Madras, IIT Delhi, IIT Mumbai, IIT Kharagpur||INR 2 lakhs|
|MSc in Biomedical Science||Imperial College in London, the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands, Keele University in the UK||INR 5-7 Lakhs|
How are Admissions in Master Biomedical Engineering Courses Done?
- Admissions in master computer course are done through merit and entrance exams
- Candidates need to complete their bachelor’s in biomedical engineering.
- Various entrance tests at the state and national levels are conducted to get admission for students.
- MBBS students can also pursue this course.
Master Biomedical Engineering Courses Entrance Exams
The table below gives details of exams considered for admission in PG computer courses in India.
|Entrance Exam||Exam Date||Conducting Body||Mode|
|GATE||Feb -5, 06, 07 & 12, 13, 14- 2021||National coordination board on behalf of seven institutes||Online|
|AP PGECET||May 2021||Andhra University||Online|
|TS PGECET||May 2021||Kakatiya university||Online|
|IPU CET||May 2021||Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University||Online|
|GUJARAT PGCET||May 2021||Admission Committee for Professional Courses (ACPC)||Offline|
Colleges for Master Biomedical Engineering Courses
Here is the list of the top colleges in India to pursue biomedical engineering courses at the PG level.
Doctorate Biomedical Engineering Courses
Doctorate biomedical engineering courses are a 2 or 3 years course that aims to help students in acquiring in-depth knowledge of the subject of their interest. This course allows the student to research a particular subject and helps them to acquire jobs in their respective field with good packages.
These courses are designed to enter the research field.
This helps to get immense knowledge on the subject.
- After Ph, D, students can settle as researchers, teachers, lecturers in prestigious institutions and colleges.
- The average salary of a biomedical engineering graduate is 4 - 11 Lakhs per annum.
Top Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering Courses
The table below shows 2 of the most popular Ph.D. courses in India.
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees|
|Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering||
||INR 15,000 - 2 Lakhs|
|MPhil in Biomedical Sciences||
||INR 2 Lakhs|
How are Admission in Doctorate Biomedical Engineering Courses Done?
- Admissions in doctorate courses in India are mainly done through entrance exams.
- Candidates must have a Master’s degree in Biomedical Engineering from a recognized university.
- Students must have obtained at least 55% marks at B.E. and M.E. /M. Tech. level.
- Few institutions give admission on a merit -basis
- The gate entrance test is conducted at the national level to enter into Ph.D. courses.
Colleges for Doctorate Biomedical Engineering Courses
The table below shows some of the best colleges in India to pursue computer courses in both the science domain and computer application domain at the doctorate level. These colleges offer research fellowships to students.
What are the Top Job Options After Completing Biomedical Engineering Courses?
Biomedical engineering candidates have multiple job options after completing these courses. Various roles and responsibilities of a biomedical engineer depend on the job role they choose and also it depends on the specialization they have opted for.
Since biomedical engineers are responsible for resolving various health care issues using engineering techniques, there is rapid growth in their field and also there is an increase in demand for them.
Below, we have discussed some of the popular job roles that are being offered by completing biomedical engineering courses.
Biomedical engineers design biomedical equipment and devices such as internal organs, body parts, machines for detecting medical problems, replacements of the body parts, and help in solving medical problems. They are usually hired by hospitals and firms, to help in designing medical equipment.
Starting Salary: INR 26,900
- Analytical skills
- Designing skills
- Attention to the detail
Clinical Researcher Manager
Researchers in clinical engineering work out their work in labs and research things in their respective field.
- Analyzing root cause of the failure of the devices
- Ready for clinical trials
- Comfortable with medical devices
- Interest in engineering and manufactures.
Starting Salary:INR 58,400
He tries to understand living things with the help of molecular biology. They study cells, tissues, and organisms.
- Complex problem-solving.
- Teamwork and communication skills.
- An investigative mind.
- Attention to detail.
Starting Salary: INR 41,300
A content developer is hired for writing articles, special reports, blogs, websites, etc. They are usually hired in hospitals and health firms.
- Team Player.
- Learning skills
- Skilled communicator.
Starting Salary: INR 23,800 per month
Molecular and Cellular Biologist
He is responsible for understanding cell function and its organization. He studies and researches cellular molecules.
- Advanced equipment
- Use deductive reasoning
- Critical-thinking skills
Starting Salary: INR 67, 500
They are known chemists and are professionals who specialized in medicines and their use.
- Analytical skills.
- Ability to think critically.
- Strong numerical skills.
- Attention to detail.
Starting Salary: INR 40,000
He is responsible for designing and developing equipment for the patients. He designs tools for bones, joints, muscles, etc in the body. These tools are implanted in the body and help the patients to lead a normal life.
- Hand in hand with professionals
- Good communication skills
- Analyzing skills
Starting Salary - INR 3.60 to 8 Lakhs
A biomaterial professional is responsible for designing and developing devices used for the treatment of any disease or solve a health issue in the body. He is responsible for tools that he is designed and should be designed with the utmost care.
- Critical thinking
- Problem-solving skills
- Decision-making skills
- Active listening
Starting Salary - INR 3.60 to 9.60 Lakhs
Physicians and Surgeons
They are responsible for treating injuries and illnesses. They diagnose health issues and are responsible for curing those diseases. Many students take a job to become medical doctors.
- Emotional strength
- Quick thinking
Starting Salary: INR 16,000 - 19,000
They are responsible for examining medical products and medical tools. They need to check whether the products are meeting standards of quality.
- Attention to detail things
- Analyzing skills
- Communication skills
Starting Salary: INR 4,34,384
The top Jobs in Biomedical Engineering with a Salary Range is depicted in the graph below.
What are the Skills Required for Biomedical Engineering Courses?
- Critical thinking
- Reading skills
- Complex problem-solving skills
- Judgment and decision-making skills
- Operation and analysis skills
- Active listening
- Speaking skills
For students who are professionals in the BME, field should be perfect in the following skills
- Systems analysis
- Systems evolution
- Writing skills
- Active learning
- Technology design
- Learned strategies
- Time management
- Operation monitoring
- Instructing skills
Biomedical Engineering Courses: FAQs
Ques. What are job opportunities after completing biomedical engineering courses?
Ans. There are multiple jobs for the students after completing biomedical engineering courses such as Biomedical engineer, research engineer, surgeons, lectures, teachers, etc.
Ques. Why is biomedical engineering better than other engineering courses?
Ans. The healthcare industry is facing multiple issues these days, so there is a need for biomedical engineers. There are various opportunities increasing day by day in the healthcare industry.
Ques. Is biomedical engineering a good path towards medicine?
Ans. BME subjects provide strong preparation for medicine. The engineering skills will be more valuable in medical practice.
Ques. Do I need to have an advanced degree after graduation in biomedical engineering?
Ans. An MS in BME allows a student to enter into a professional career. It will help students in acquiring complete subject knowledge and it will be an added advantage to settle in career.
Ques. What are the specialties in BME if you pursue this course abroad?
Ans. This course abroad or in India has many specializations such as bioinstrumentation, biocomputing, biomaterials, biomechanics, etc.
Ques. Can a biomedical engineer become a doctor?
Ans. Graduates in biomedical engineering can enter into a medical school to become doctors.
Ques. Is biomedical engineering jobs stressful?
Ans. BME jobs are the highest paid jobs and lowest stress jobs according to Times Magazine 2015. It offers both professional and personal benefits.
Ques. Which country is best for BME courses?
Ans. Germany offers many courses related to BME. Many universities and colleges in Germany offer this course.
Ques. Which universities offer the best BME courses?
Ans. The best biomedical engineering schools are: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Duke University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Johns Hopkins University, University of Michigan--Ann Arbor, University of California--Berkeley, Rice University, Stanford University etc.
Ques. What kind of jobs are there in hospitals for BME students?
Ans. They can work in laboratories and research hospitals.