What is DM Cardiology?
DM Cardiology or Doctor of Medicine in Cardiology is a postgraduate cardiology medical course of 3-year, full time which is divided into four semesters. Cardiology is a medical speciality dealing with disorders of the human heart as well as some parts of the circulatory system. The main subjects’ students have to study in this discipline are experience in cardiac catheterization, pulmonary hypertension, general anaesthesia, electrophysiology, temporary pacemaker insertion etc.
See Also: Top DM Cardiology Colleges in India
The basic eligibility of DM Cardiology is, the candidates should have completed their post graduation in M.D and M.D needs to be completed in any of general medicine and cardiology.
The admission process of DM Cardiology course in the colleges of India is done on the basis of entrance examination such as NEET SS, JIPMER entrance exam and AIIMS entrance exam which is followed by a counselling. The admission process can vary from college to college and the minimum marks requirement in the post-graduation degree of the candidate can vary from college to college.
The average annual fees of DM Cardiology lies between INR 5,000 to 10 lakhs while the exact fees vary from college to college.
Here we have mentioned some of the top colleges according to NIRF College Ranking Survey 2021 in the table given below:
|NIRF Overall Ranking 2021||College Name||Fee Structure||Admission Process||Average Salary Package|
|13||Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham||INR 10,00,000||Entrance based||INR 5.8 LPA|
|50||King George’s Medical University||INR 108,200||AID MCH entrance exam||INR 9.2 LPA|
|51||Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research||INR 22,00,000||NEET-SS entrance exam followed by counselling||INR 13 LPA|
|91||SMS Medical College||INR 2,875||NEET-SS entrance exam followed by counselling||INR 7.5 LPA|
|101-150||GGSIPU||INR 1,56,000||Entrance based||INR 13 LPA|
The graduates of DM Cardiology can get jobs in the areas of Area Sales Manager, consultant, house officer/RMO, Jr. Technical Executive, Jun./Sr. resident (cardiology), lecturer/professor, marketing manager, part-time specialist etc. and they get jobs in hospitals, defence health services and many in many areas.
The average starting salary package a graduate of DM Cardiology can expect generally lies between INR 6 to 30 L.
With the increase in heart patients and the number of hospitals the scope for this course has widened both in government and corporate sectors too. Cardiologists are lucrative employment as doctors in hospitals clinics testing patients for heart problems, private practices, government health sector, and defense service.
DM Cardiology Course Highlights
Some of the highlights of the course DM Cardiology are mentioned below:
|Full form||Doctor of Medicine in Cardiology|
|Eligibility||MD General Medicine or Paediatrics|
|Admission Process||NEET-SS, JIPMER entrance exam, and AIIMS entrance exam.|
|Average tuition fee||INR 5,000 to 10 lakhs|
|Job Positions||Area Sales Manager, consultant, house officer/RMO, Jr. Technical Executive, Jun./Sr. resident (cardiology), lecturer/professor, marketing manager, part-time specialist etc.|
|Average salary||INR 6 to 30 lakhs|
DM Cardiology Eligibility
In order to pursue DM Cardiology from any college, candidates need to meet required eligibility criteria to be considered eligible. However, the eligibility criteria for admission depends upon the college in which the candidates would like to take admission to pursue DM Cardiology.
- Candidates who are willing to do this course must have a minimum aggregate score of 55% at the level of post graduate.
- They should have completed postgraduate [MD] from the recognized medical council of India or any state medical councils.
- The cap of repetition for appearing in the exams has been removed by CBSE and also being appreciated by NEET.
- The candidates should also have 12 months of professional experiences as most reputed institutes prefer candidates with work experiences.
Check Out: Top MD Cardiology Colleges in West Bengal
DM Cardiology Admission Process
Admission to the DM (Cardiology) program is conducted through entrance examination. Applications for admission can be available either from the university’s official website or by visiting the admission office for the same.
- The candidates should visit the official website of the entrance exams to keep them updated regarding registration date, exam date, and declaration date.
- Candidates are advised to have a look at various entrance exams and participating colleges.
- The admission in the colleges across the nation is conducted via the National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test [NEET] for all national-based colleges providing the course.
- The candidates will have to fill out the required details in a match with the existing documents.
- The round of counselling involves two additional rounds of group discussion and personal interview, wherein candidates generally aptitude for the course is examined.
- A merit list is released by the institute allocating available seats to the qualifying candidates.
DM Cardiology Entrance Exams
In most of the colleges and institutes offering the course admission is provided based on the candidate’s performance with the relevant entrance test such as NEET PG, conducted at the national level followed by a subsequent round of counselling.
- NEETSS- The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (Super Speciality Courses) or NEET SS 2020 is conducted by the National Board of Education for admission to various DM/ MCh courses. According to the Indian Medical Council Act, 2016, no other entrance test is valid for admission to DM/ MCh courses.
- PGIMER - Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER) Chandigarh conducts entrance exam twice in a year for admission in paramedical courses. The total duration of the exam will be 3 hours and the medium of exam will be English. It's an online mode of exam.
- IIMS PG- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS PG) entrance test is held twice in a year in the month of January and July. Through this entrance test, candidates will get admission into the courses of MDS/MD/DM /MS/M. Ch in various AIIMS Institutions within India.
|EXAM NAME||EXAM DATE||APPLICATION DATE||EXAM MODE||CONDUCTING BODY|
|NEET-SS||September 15, 2020||August 3, 2020 – August 23, 2020||Computer based test||National Board of Education|
|PGIMER entrance exam||Last week of November 2020||Last week of October – Second week of November 2020||Online||PGIMER Chandigarh|
|AIIMS PG entrance exam||June 11, 2020||November 27, 2019 – February 10, 2020||Computer based test||All India Institute of Medical Science, New Delhi|
How to Prepare for DM Cardiology Entrance Exam?
Here are some tips that all the candidates should follow while preparing for the entrance exam of Bachelor of Tourism management course:
- Preparing for DM Cardiology requires about b06-12 months of preparation post M.D.
- If you are clear that you will pursue DM Cardiology post PG, then it's better to go ahead and start early during PG by taking good notes on Harrison. As once you start preparation for cardiology, there would hardly be time to devote enough time for basic speciality.
- Resources recommended for cardiology are Braun Wald textbook of cardiology which should be supplemented by MCQ books in cardiology.
- It is important to note that AIIMS, PGIMER & NEET SS all have different patterns. At the least you must revise 3-4 times for whatever you read.
- Online mock exams and MCQ question banks provide the best and most suitable way of preparation. It will tremendously boost your score.
How To Get Admission in a Good College?
The candidates should keep some important tips in their mind to get admission in the top college of DM Cardiology. Here are some tips for getting into the college of your choice:
- Your percentage in MD General Medicine or Paediatrics course should be according to the university’s eligibility criteria.
- Candidates should prepare for the qualifying examination according to the syllabus, so that they can score well.
- Practice previous year’s papers to improve your time management skills at the time of entrance exams.
- College essays are an extremely important part of the supplication process because they provide one of the best opportunities for you to sell yourself and convey who you are outside of grades and test scores. This is why you should spend plenty of time developing a unique essay that stands out from the rest of the crowd.
- Be updated with the deadlines of filling the application forms through websites, newspapers and magazines.
DM Cardiology Syllabus
Here is the syllabus of DM Cardiology course as prescribed by various Universities and Colleges that you will have to study in DM Cardiology course and it can be varied from college to college.
|Coronary artery disease||Systemic disease involving heart|
|Rheumatic heart disease||Heart muscle diseases|
|Congenital heart disease||Traumatic heart disease|
|Pericardial diseases||Tumours of heart|
|Heart failure||Geriatric heart disease|
|Peripheral vascular disorders||General anaesthesia|
|Pulmonary hypertension||Pregnancy and heart disease|
|Systematic hypertension||Epidemiology and preventive cardiology|
|YEAR 2||YEAR 3|
|Electrocardiography||Experience in cardiac catheterization|
|Radiography||Right left heart path coronary angiography|
|Stress testing||Temporary pacemaker insertion|
|Holter monitoring||Various interventions including valvuloplasty coronary and congenital interventions.|
DM Cardiology Top Colleges
Some of the top colleges offering DM Cardiology courses are mentioned in the table below, which also contains admission process, annual fees, average placement salary and the colleges are ranked according to the NIRF 2021 ranking.
|NIRF Overall Ranking 2021||College Name||Location||Fee Structure||Admission Process|
|13||Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu||INR 10,00,000||Entrance based|
|14||Manipal Academy of Higher education||Manipal, Karnataka||INR 24,00,000||Entrance based|
|50||King George’s Medical University||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh||INR 1,08,200||AID MCH entrance exam|
|51||Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 22,00,000||NEET-SS entrance exam followed by counselling|
|58||SRM Institute of Technology||Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu||INR 22,00,000||Entrance based|
|91||SMS Medical College||Jaipur, Rajasthan||INR 2,875||NEET-SS entrance exam followed by counselling|
|101-150||GGSIPU||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 1,56,000||Entrance based|
|_||St. John’s Medical College||Bangalore||INR 9,10,450||NEET-SS entrance exam followed by counselling|
|_||Dayanand Medical college and Hospital||Ludhiana, Punjab||INR 16,11,800||Entrance based followed by a personal counselling|
|_||Smt. B.K. Shah Medical Institute and Research Centre||Vadodara||INR 29,15,000||Entrance based followed by a personal counselling|
DM Cardiology College Comparison
Here’s a comparison between some of the top colleges offering DM Cardiology, in the table given below. The comparison of the colleges has been made on the parameters like NIRF ranking, admission process, annual fees, annual salary and their top recruiters.
|Parameter||King George’s Medical University||Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham||GGSIPU|
|Overview||King George’s Medical University is one of the best Government Medical Colleges located in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. It is the largest Residential Medical University in India with Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Dental Sciences, Faculty of Nursing and Faculty of Paramedical Sciences||Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham offers multiple undergraduate, integrated and postgraduate courses in six campuses namely Amritapuri, Bengaluru, Chennai, Coimbatore, Kochi and Mysore as well as the new upcoming Amaravati campus.||Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University is an “A” grade university in Delhi and established by the government of NCT of Delhi. The university was previously known as Indraprastha University (IPU).|
|NIRF Overall 2021 ranking||50||13||101-150|
|Location||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu||New Delhi, Delhi NCR|
|Admission process||AID MCH entrance exam||Entrance based||Entrance based|
|Average annual fees||INR 108,200||INR 10,00,000||INR 1,56,000|
|Average annual package||INR 309K||INR 5 L||INR 13 L|
|Top recruiters||TCS||Amazon, Infosys, Juniper, Microsoft, Idea, IBM< Cognizant, Cisco, Ericsson, Oracle, Wipro, Symantec, Polaris, Qualcomm, Blue, 3M, TATA etc.||Infosys, Adobe, Microsoft, Deloitte, Nagarro, TCS, Genpact, Wipro, Accenture, HCL Technologies, Applied Research International Pvt.Ltd etc.|
Why Study DM Cardiology?
There are several benefits of the DM Cardiology degree course for those who have decided to pursue this course they will be able to get lots of benefits like:
- Applicants have also the teaching options both at private and government places along with their self-running hospitals.
- Candidates can seek a career in public and in the private sector as well. They can be employed as doctors in hospitals or lecturers in medical colleges.
- Degree holders have a lot of bright opportunities in hospitals where they can be bestowed upon different types of responsibilities in their specialties.
- They can also become teachers/lecturers on a private basis and after passing the UGC-NET exam can go for a permanent lecturer in colleges/universities in the country.
- They can do research work related to heart and become scientists in cardiology
DM Cardiology Course Comparison
DM Cardiology and DM Endocrinology may seem a bit similar, but there is some difference between them. Here we discussed some points of difference between them on the basis of their specialization, course fees, eligibility, admission process, job positions and many others.
|BASIS||DM Cardiology||DM Endocrinology|
|Full form||Doctorate of Medicine in Cardiology||Doctorate of Medicine in Endocrinology|
|Overview||Cardiology is a medical speciality dealing with disorders of the human heart as well as some parts of the circulatory system.||This branch of medicine studies the system of endocrine. The branch deals with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases that affect the human glands.|
|Eligibility||MD General Medicine or Paediatrics||MD/MS from a recognized university.|
|Admission process||NEET-SS, JIPMER entrance exam, and AIIMS entrance exam.||Direct admission/entrance test|
|Average annual fees||INR 5,000 to 10 lakhs||INR 50,00 to 2 lakhs|
|Job position||Area Sales Manager, consultant, house officer/RMO, Jr. Technical Executive, Jun./Sr. resident (cardiology), lecturer/professor, marketing manager, part-time specialist etc.||Endocrinologist, diabetologist|
|Average annual salary||INR 6 to 30 lakhs||INR 10-15 lakhs|
What is the Scope for DM Cardiology?
The scope of the DM Cardiology course is very wide. After pursuing this course candidates can find job opportunities in many private as well as in public sectors. The scopes available after this course are:
- The DM degree makes a person a superior doctor and he gets an increased salary with a better reputation. Besides this, they also get a chance or publishing his articles, a column or paper in magazines, journals, etc. Thus, they can earn extra income from all these.
- With the increase in heart patients and the number of hospitals the scope for this course has widened both in government and corporate sectors too.
- After the successful completion of the program, candidates of DM Cardiology are opened to a myriad of opportunities surrounding the field of cardiovascular science and its research.
- They can choose to become private practitioners, surgeons, researchers, professors, cardiologists, scientists, physicians and much more.
- Those who love teaching can even grab a teaching position under the cardiology department at colleges and universities
- There is a wide range for a cardiologist both under government or private sector.
DM Cardiology Jobs
The course is career orienting in nature that gives many job opportunities for them after its completion. Candidates can get various job opportunities in the public and the private sector as well. They can be employed as doctors in hospitals or lecturers in medical colleges.
- Area Sales Manager
- House officer/RMO
- Jr. Technical Executive
- Jun./Sr. resident (cardiology)
- Marketing manager
- Part-time specialist
- Junior resident
Here are some of the job options available for the graduates of DM Cardiology course along with its description and average annual salary offered to that particular job position mentioned below:
|JOBS||DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|Marketing manager||The responsibilities of a managing director include, to managing all marketing for the company and activities within the marketing department, to coordinating marketing campaigns with sales activities, to overseeing the company’s marketing budget., to creating and publicizing all the marketing material in line with marketing plans. to planning and implementing promotional campaigns, to manage and improve lead generation campaigns, measuring results.||INR 4.13 L|
|Consultant||A consultant duties are to consulting, advising, and creating programs to fill the gaps between actual situations and desired ones, to developing management and supervisory skills, to assessing the actual situation, to improving work performance and organizational communication, to increasing employee motivation and morale, to defining the company’s mission, goals and objectives, to achieving customer satisfaction and customer loyalty, to coaching, guiding and training employees, to raising the company’s customer base and market segment.||INR 4.93 L|
|Area Sales Manager||An area sales manager's responsibilities are to monitor the performance of sales staff and provide coaching to address employee inability. They motivate and support the sales team to achieve set goals. They travel to organization locations within a given area to meet with and manage sales staff, to communicate actively with sales teams in a given area to help customers.||INR 6.08 L|
|Lecturer/Professor||The responsibilities of lecturer/professor includes, to developing curricula and delivering course material, to conducting research, fieldwork, and investigations, and writing up reports, to publishing research, attending conferences, delivering presentations, and networking with others in the field, to traveling to other universities or academic settings to participate in learning opportunities and gain experience, to participating in committee, departmental, and faculty meetings, to providing training and mentoring to teaching assistants and junior lecturers.||INR 3.33 L|
DM Cardiology FAQs
QUES. What is the course of DM?
ANS. Doctorate of Medicine (DM) is an advanced program in the medical field. It continues for a period of 3 years which includes the examination duration also.
QUES. How difficult is it to do a DM in Cardiology after an MD?
ANS. It might be difficult initially, where you have to read ECGs which are very less common in pediatric cases but definitely there will be an advantage for pediatric cases which you can manage better than your colleagues. Within a few months you can pick up all those small difficulties.
QUES. What is an integrated DM course? What is the duration?
ANS. Institutes such as AIIMS, offer a 6-year integrated DM course. Candidates can apply for this course after completing MBBS. The 6-year degree course will include 3 years MD course and 3 years DM course.
QUES.Is NEET SS the only entrance examination for DM courses in India?
ANS. No, there are many other entrance examinations for admission to DM courses which are conducted at the university level. A few universities that conduct their own exam for DM courses are AIIMS, PGIMER and JIPMER.
QUES. Is DM necessary after MD?
ANS. After a successful completion of MD course in general medicine, a doctor can opt for super speciality course i.e., DM.
QUES. How do I become a cardiologist after 12th?
ANS. earn a bachelor degree with MBBS after 12th then get admission in PG course leading to doctor of medicine (MD) in general medicine and after that go for the super speciality course DM in cardiology to be a cardiologist.
QUES. How do I prepare for NEET SS critical care?
ANS. A blend of theory along with MCQs is must and also timely thorough revision including revision of important memory based MCQs from various topics should be done before exams.
QUES. Is being a cardiologist worth it?
ANS. Yes, your investment in time and money will be substantial, but you’ll also earn an excellent living eventually.
QUES. Can AIIMS MD does DM (Cardiology)?
ANS. No, AIIMS MD (Respiratory Medicine) are not allowed to do DM Cardiology. In AIIMS MD (Biochemistry) are not allowed to do DM Endocrinology. In AIIMS MD (Radiotherapy) are not allowed to do DM Medical Oncology.
QUES. What is Cardiology?
ANS. Cardiology is the branch of medicine that deals with heart’s diseases and disorders. And person, who specializes in Cardiology, is known as a cardiologist. Thereby, Cardiologists are the specialists of heart diseases and heart abnormalities.