B.Sc. in Cardiac Technology is a 3-year full-time undergraduate course divided into 6 semesters. Cardiac Technology is an allied course in medicine.
Cardiac Technologists assist physicians during invasive cardiovascular testing; a tube is inserted into one of the blood vessels that carry blood into the heart.
Know More About Paramedical Courses
The job of a technician is to perform tasks that require less medical training before and during the procedure so doctors can focus on the results of the test.
A patient’s life may depend on the efficiency of the Cardiac Care Technologists. The course has been designed to teach eligible candidates to:
- test patients for heart problems.
- take care of those suffering from cardiovascular disease.
- use and maintain medical equipment and machines used in the field.
- apply basic and advanced life support skills.
- study emergency invasive procedures that could save an individual's life.
- insert catheters and use pacemakers in practical settings.
- study cardiac-related procedures.
- observe the correct way to perform cardiac procedures before applying practical skills.
Suh management of cardiac disorders includes:
- complex diagnostic and therapeutic procedures
- relevant use of computer hardware, tools, machines, and pharmacological agents.
- advanced knowledge of the scientific principles on which the tests and equipment function.
- correct and safe use of such cardiac equipment.
- adequate knowledge of structure and function of the human body, especially the cardiovascular system.
- an optimal delivery of cardiovascular health care.
- complex diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- skills for management of various cardiac disorders.
- application of specialized occupational theory
- skills to work independently as qualified Cardiovascular Technologists.
- cardiac catheterization and electrophysiology.
- technical procedures under the direction of a qualified physician.
- technical procedures for the diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular injury and disease.
The average annual course fee in India ranges between INR 1,000 and 4 lakhs, depending upon the institute offering the course.
The average annual salary offered in India to successful graduates of the course ranges between INR 2 and 20 lakhs, depending upon the candidate’s expertise in the field.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Cardiac Technology)
B.Sc. in Cardiac Technology: Course Highlights
Shown below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Course Level||Under Graduate|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized educational Board|
|Admission Process||Counselling after qualification of entrance examination|
|Top recruiting organizations||Manipal, Nextgen, Apollo, etc.|
|Top recruiting areas||Private clinics, Hospital administration, Research and Medical colleges, and such.|
|Top job profiles||Cardiovascular Technologist, Cardiologist, Medical Sonographer, among others.|
|Course Fee||INR 1,000 to 4 lakhs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 20 lakhs|
B.Sc. in Cardiac Technology: What is it About?
Cardiac technology is an area of specialization for allied health professionals. Cardiac Technologists assist physicians in:
- diagnosing and treating cardiac (heart) and peripheral vascular (blood vessel) conditions.
- preparing patients for open-heart surgery.
- implanting pacemakers.
- monitoring patients during these procedures.
- performing cardiac stress tests and electrocardiograms.
- using and maintaining the medical equipment that catches irregular heartbeats.
- working in laboratory settings on real patients.
- management of various cardiac disorders having complex diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
Top Institutes offering B.Sc. in Cardiac Technology
Some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by the respective colleges are listed below.
|NAME OF INSTITUTE||CITY||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEES|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore||INR 1,13,000|
|Frontier Lifeline Hospital||Chennai||INR 30,000|
|Geetanjali Medical College and Hospital||Udaipur||INR 1,20,000|
|Geetanjali University||Udaipur||INR 70,000|
|KLE University||Belgaum||INR 3,50,000|
|M.M.M College of Health Sciences||Chennai||INR 1,750|
|Rajiv Gandhi Paramedical Institute||Delhi||INR 10,000|
|Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences||Bangalore||INR 50,000|
|Sri Jay Deva Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences and Research||Mysore||INR 1,50,000|
|Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences||Tirupati||INR 10,250|
Eligibility for B.Sc. in Cardiac Technology
Listed below are the minimum criteria of eligibility that interested candidates need to fulfil in order to apply for the course.
- 10+2 education completed in the Science stream from a recognized educational Board.
- Physics, Chemistry, English and Biology as the main subjects of study at the 10+2 level.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
B.Sc. in Cardiac Technology: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test, followed by a round of Personal Interview. Some institutes conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
B.Sc. in Cardiac Technology: Syllabus and Course Description
A year - wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|YEAR I||YEAR II||YEAR III|
|Human anatomy||Medicine relevant cardiac care||Cardiac care technology clinical|
|Physiology||Applied pathology||Cardiac care technology applied|
|Biochemistry||Applied pharmacology||Cardiac care technology advanced|
|Pathology||Introduction to cardiac technology||-|
B.Sc. in Cardiac Technology: Career Prospects
Cardiac Technologists use diagnostic cardiology equipment and monitor resultant data, typically in assistance to a physician. Cardiac tech jobs are available in a a variety of specialties including:
- invasive cardiology
- vascular technology
- non-invasive cardiology.
Cardiovascular technologists and cardiovascular technicians serve as cardiovascular assistants to physicians. They:
- aid in the diagnosis and treatment of heart and blood vessel issues.
- review doctor and patient documentation.
- schedule appointments and monitor patients' heart rates.
- look after and operate the equipment.
- explain test procedures to patients and identify problems in their test findings.
- specialize in invasive procedures.
- assist in the cardiac catheterization of balloon angioplasties and electrophysiology tests.
Some of the top professional avenues open to such graduates are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|JOB POSITION||JOB DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|Cardiovascular Technologist||Cardiovascular Technicians use a variety of procedures and instruments to diagnose and treat heart disease and vascular problems. The entry-level technicians perform electrocardiograms (EKGs), and may set up stress tests and Holter monitoring. With their experience and additional training, such technicians can perform more diagnostic tasks, by using sonography and other types of non-invasive procedures as well as advanced life support techniques.||INR 6,68,000|
|Medical Sonographer||Medical Sonographers play an important role in non-invasive diagnostics. They perform imaging procedures which use non-ionizing, and high frequency sound waves to create an image when it can be used in place of exploratory surgery or imaging that uses radiation. The common use for sonography is to look at an unborn fetus in prenatal care, but some of Medical Sonographers can also specialize in imaging the abdomen, breasts or brain. Typical duties include preparing patients, explaining the exam, and performing the procedures and reporting the findings to the patient or a physician. Most of the Medical Sonographers work in hospital settings, and are required to stand or walk for long periods of time.||INR 7,00,000|
|Cardiologist||Patients are typically referred to Cardiologists by their regular doctors. Patients may be experiencing symptoms that indicate heart trouble. Cardiologists diagnose and treat heart and blood vessel problems using a combination of symptom review, physical examination, and medical testing. Cardiologists work in private practice centres as consultants to patients' general care practitioners, while some others work for universities as researchers and teachers.||INR 16,00,000|
|Dialysis Technician||Dialysis Technicians, often referred to as Patient Care Technicians (PCTs), follow strict protocols to guarantee safe and effective outcomes for patients undergoing this four-hour procedure. They monitor and adjust fluid removal rate according to patients’ vital signs, and minimize the possibility of infection through proper equipment handling and sterilization.||INR 5,40,000|
|Nephrologist Technician||Dialysis Biomedical Technicians assist in the treatment of patients who are suffering from end stage renal disease and other illnesses that can cause the kidneys to shut down or improperly function. They work with other team members to complete a variety of tasks including meeting patient needs, operating specialized machines, sanitizing and cleaning tools and equipment, and maintaining medical equipment.||INR 14,00,000|