What is MS ENT ?
Master of Surgery or MS ENT is a postgraduate surgical studies program of 3 years. This course focuses mainly on the key aspects of otolaryngology, ENT studies and subsequent training on various surgical procedures that are followed for ENT related problems.
Some of the basic subjects that are pursued in-depth include anaesthesia, general medicine ward, general surgical methods, Radiology and Radiotherapy, Plastic surgery etc.
The basic eligibility criteria for MS ENT degree program is a candidate must have passed 10+2 and must hold an MBBS degree from a recognized university.
The admission process of MS ENT courses varies from university to university, some university/college conduct entrance examinations while others take direct admission as well.
The course fees may vary based on the university/college that is offering the course. The average course fees may range from INR 3 Lakhs to INR 40 Lakhs per annum depending upon the facilities and infrastructure offered by the college/university.
The graduates of MS ENT degree program have so many different job opportunities. They can get the job of a Chief surgeon, ENT specialist, general ENT consultant, senior data analyst, otolaryngologist, senior OPT, Medical Scientist, Research Assistant, Otolaryngologist, ENT Assistant, etc. They are employed in areas like Apollo Hospital, Ganga Hospital, UPSC, AIIMS, Ramachandra Hospital, Fortis Malar, and Government Hospitals etc.
Check the list of Top MS Colleges in India.
MS ENT salary in India may vary based on the experience gained in the field and based on the skill set possessed. The average MS ENT salary in India ranges between INR 10 Lakhs to 40 Lakhs per annum in the initial stages.
MS ENT course suits the choice of those who want to become a specialist doctor of ear, nose and throat. MS ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) also called MS in otolaryngology, is the field of medicine that deals with diagnosing and treating diseases concerned with ear, nose, throat, head and neck.
MS ENT Course Highlights?
Here are some of the most popular highlights of the MS ENT degree program that have been tabulated below:
|MS ENT Full form||Master of Surgery in E.N.T|
|Eligibility||10+2, MBBS from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Merit or entrance exam (AIIMS, NEET, etc.) followed by counselling|
|Average tuition fee||INR 5 to 40 Lakhs|
|Job Positions||Chief surgeon, ENT specialist, general ENT consultant, senior data analyst, otolaryngologist, senior OPT, Medical Scientist, Research Assistant, Otolaryngologist, ENT Assistant, etc.|
|Average salary||INR 10 to 40 Lakhs per annum|
Top MS ENT Colleges
Some of the top colleges that offer MS ENT are mentioned below:
|NIRF Ranking 2020 (for medical)||COLLEGE||ADMISSION PROCESS||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEES||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|1||All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, Delhi NCR||Entrance exam||INR 2,027||INR 6.6 Lakhs|
|3||Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu||Entrance exam followed by fitness test||INR 1.77 Lakh||INR 1.6 Lakh|
|12||Madras Medical College||Merit based or Entrance exam followed by counselling||-||INR 2.59 Lakhs|
|13||Sri Ramchandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai, Tamil Nadu||Entrance exam followed by centralized counselling by DGHS, New Delhi||INR 20 Lakhs||INR 8.2 Lakhs|
|18||Christian Medical College, Ludhiana||Entrance exam along with counselling||INR 6.5 Lakhs||INR 9.60 Lakhs|
What is the MS ENT Admission Process?
Admission to the MS ENT program is conducted either through entrance examination or merit-based. Applications for admissions can be availed either from the University website or by visiting the Admissions Office of the same. Candidates need to fill out the required details according to the existing documents.
Most of the colleges provide direct admission to the course on the basis of the marks obtained in their bachelor’s degree.
The following documents are required at the time of admission are:
- High school certificate (10th standard) as proof of date of birth.
- All MBBS university professional examination marks certificate.
- MBBS degree/provisional certificate.
- Internship completion certificate.
- PG diploma certificate (if applicable).
- Valid permanent/provisional registration certificate issued by MCI/ State medical council.
- Copy of application forms.
- 3 stamp size photographs.
- A CD (Compact disc) containing scanned copies of all the relevant mentioned documents.
The admission takes place through Entrance Exams as well and following are some of the important points related to the same.
- There are few universities and colleges which conduct their own entrance exam for admission to the course.
- The admission procedure is carried through online or offline mode and sometimes through both the modes.
- You can start filling the application form and fill in all the details.
- Once all the details are filled, you will be required to choose the city for the exam centre.
- Save the application and make the payment via net banking/debit card/credit card.
- Submit the form before the deadlines.
Do I Qualify the MS ENT Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria of MS ENT course may vary from college to college. Here, we have listed some of the common Master of Surgery (ENT) eligibility criteria that must be fulfilled by the candidates:
- A candidate must have a 50% score aggregate in undergraduate medical courses such as MBBS or any specialized MBBS courses from a recognized university.
- A candidate is also required to have adequate beforehand practical training of at least 2 years before applying for the master of surgery course.
- The candidates should also appear for national levels/university levels examinations such as NEET, AIIMS-CET, JIPMER, NIHMANS, etc. which will determine candidate’s proficiency and technical ability required to pursue this course.
- There is also a relaxation of 5% in the total aggregate marks in NEET-PG scores i.e., 45% marks are enough for the SC/ST category candidates.
Which are the MS ENT Entrance Exams?
Appearing for the entrance examination is mandatory for a few colleges and universities. The application forms for the admission are released a few months before the date of the examination.
However, all dates for the current academic year have been postponed due to COVID-19 crisis. Here, we have listed some of the common entrance tests for the MS ENT course.
- AIIMS PG- The full form of AIIMS PG is All India Institute of Medical Sciences Post Graduate Entrance Exam. The AIIMS PG entrance exam is a gateway for admission into MD, MS, M.Ch. DM, and MDS. It is a National level exam conducted by the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi. The AIIMS PG is a National Level Entrance Examination which is conducted in the month of January and July every year.
- NEET PG- National Board of Examinations (NBE) is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. The first NEET PG was held by the National Board Of Examinations from the 23rd of November till the 6th of December in 2012, which was referred to as the "Testing Windows”.NET PG 2020 is conducted by NBE for the Admission of Postgraduate Course in the field of Medicine. The NEET PG Exam is conducted once a year in the month of January.
- JIPMER PG- Jawaharlal Institute of PostGraduate Medical Education & Research is a National level entrance exam held in two sessions in the month of January & July. JIPMER PG exam is conducted by one of the leading Medical Institutions of India i.e., JIPMER which was established in the year 1823 under the Government of India. Candidates will be offered admissions into PG level courses in the field of medicine.
- PGIMER- PGIMER stands for the Postgraduate Institute for Medical Education and Research. The admission through PGIMER Entrance Exam takes place biannually- once in January and the other in July. Candidates who are interested in getting admission into any one of the courses which are MDS, M.Sc. /M.Sc. MLT, DM/M.Ch, MD, etc in the PGIMER, Chandigarh are expected to appear for the PGIMER Exam which is an admission test or an entrance test for all these courses.
- AIPGET- AIAPGET Stands for All India Ayush Post Graduate Entrance Test. The All India Institute of Ayurveda (AIIA), Sarita Vihar, New Delhi used to conduct the AIAP GET exam and is the gateway for admission to M.D/M.S course in Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy system of medicine. It is a national level exam conducted once a year by the National Testing Agency (NTA) in a computer-based mode (online).
|EXAM NAME||APPLICATION DATE||EXAM DATE||EXAM MODE||CONDUCTING BODY|
|AIIMS PG||Closed||June 11, 2020||Online||All India Institute for Medical Sciences|
|NEET PG||November, 2019||January 5, 2020||Online||National Boards of Examinations|
|JIPMER PG||March 4, 2020 – May 18, 2020||June 21, 2020||Online||Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research|
|PGIMER||May, 2020||June 14, 2020||Online||Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education Research|
|AIPGET||June 30, 2020||September 28, 2020||Online||National Testing Agency|
How to prepare for MS ENT Entrance Exams?
Most important deciding factor responsible for succeeding in any entrance exam is to be well aware of the latest exam pattern and a candidate should go through the previous year papers and try to perform a proper analysis of the exam pattern.
Some tips that one must follow while preparing for the entrance exam are mentioned below:
- Make a course plan that can help the student to plan according to the study of the work which enables them to keep both balanced.
- The interaction with the professor can bring a new insight into the subjects for the course.
- Graduates need to gain adequate practical knowledge on surgical methods as the practice is the key to avoid mistakes with life.
- Since the course involves a lot of research-based studies, candidates can subscribe to weekly journals to keep themselves updated in the field.
- Start connecting with peers who can help you with providing an exchange of knowledge that might help you to reduce stress at the time of examination.
Read More: MS Courses
How to Get Admission in a Good MS ENT College?
Getting a seat in a good college becomes a lot easier when one knows the complete path which one would be required to travel while going through the admission process.
Below given are some of the key points which one must keep in mind if one aspires for admission in a good college.
- The admission process to the course is entrance based and merit-based.
- In the case of merit-based selection, one must perform well in their MBBS degree examinations.
- In the case of entrance-based selection, it is very important to perform well and score enough in the entrance examination in order to get admission in a reputed college.
- One must be well aware of the latest exam pattern and also know the weightage assigned to each section in the exam and prepare accordingly.
- The students must start preparing for the entrance exam a year before if they want to get admission in a good college and this gives ample time for learning and revision. Do keep your target institute in mind.
What MS ENT is all about?
Here is the description of the course MS ENT which includes, on which areas this course focus upon, what will you get to learn and what skills can you develop after pursuing this course:
- The course imparts adequate knowledge on the theoretical studies of ENT and otolaryngology functioning and parts along with major problems in each and every section along with surgical procedures to remove the same.
- The curriculum is designed to equally focus on theoretical and practical studies that will enhance students’ practical skills that are very much essential for the surgical studies course.
- The course provides more bonuses on practical sessions where students are taken for operation theatres and ICU areas during ENT surgical procedure.
- The Master of Surgery (ENT) program is designed in a manner in which the subjects and the modules have a greater emphasis on fundamentals learned during the undergraduate medical sciences course, surgical studies course.
- Master of Surgery (ENT) is also referred to as Otolaryngology by various institutes across India.
- The course structure is designed sequentially to accommodate adequate practical learning/ OT sessions accompanied by adequate theoretical sessions.
Why Study MS ENT ?
There are several benefits of the MS ENT course, for those who have decided to pursue this course they will be able to get lots of benefits like:
- Interested students pursue surgical practice and surgical methodology studies along with in-depth study in the field of Otolaryngology or ENT studies and its applications can opt for this course.
- This course will provide students a more detailed insight into practical and surgical methods on how to address various concerns regarding ENT and advanced research-based thesis development.
- The majority of the course deals with the practice of various standard surgical methods and performing relevant investigative and therapeutic procedures for various ENT related ailments.
- An MS in any field is the most valuable course in the medical and healthcare domain and the graduates who hold an MS degree are very much entitled to receive numerous job opportunities with a higher pay scale.
- The course emphasizes on the basic surgical studies and contemporary practical sessions along with the written thesis during the ending stages of the course.
- It allows the candidates to specialize in medical ENT studies and Otolaryngology.
MS ENT vs MS GS
The following table shows the comparison between MS ENT vs. MS General Surgery. The comparison is made on the basis of a few major parameters like rankings, overview, course fees, eligibility, top recruiters, average annual package etc.
|BASIS||MS ENT||MS GS|
|Full form||Master of Surgery in ENT (ear, nose and throat) or Otolaryngology||Master of Surgery in General surgery|
|Overview||This course focuses mainly on the key aspects of otolaryngology and ENT studies and subsequent training on various surgical procedures that are followed for ENT related problems.||Master’s in surgery facilitates candidates to understand and gain knowledge of the individual and specialty of Medicine. The Course develops skills as a self-directed learner, recognizes continuing educational needs, and uses appropriate learning resources to practice surgery.|
|Eligibility||10+2, MBBS from a recognized university||10+2, MBBS from a recognized university|
|Admission process||Based on counselling after qualification of entrance tests (AIIMS, NEET, etc.)||Based on counselling after qualification of entrance tests (AIIMS, NEET, etc.)|
|Average annual fees||INR 5 to 40 Lakhs||INR 10 to 60 Lakhs|
|Job positions||Chief surgeon, ENT specialist, general ENT consultant, senior data analyst, otolaryngologist, senior OPT, Medical Scientist, Research Assistant, Otolaryngologist, ENT Assistant, etc.||Endocrine surgeon, lab technician, lecturer/professor, neurosurgeon, ophthalmologist, paediatric surgeon, plastic and reconstructive surgeon, researcher, resident (general surgery) cardiothoracic surgeon, upper gastro-intestinal surgeon, urological surgeon, vascular surgeon etc.|
|Average annual salary||INR 10 to 40 Lakhs per annum||INR 10 to 50 Lakhs per annum|
Source: Official websites and Payscale
MS ENT Colleges
The top 10 MS ENT colleges in India are mentioned below along with the average annual fees and salary. You can go through this link and opt for the college/university of your choice.
|COLLEGE||ADMISSION PROCESS||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEES||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, Delhi NCR||Entrance exam||INR 2,027||INR 6.6 Lakhs|
|Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu||Entrance exam followed by fitness test||INR 1.77 Lakh||INR 3 Lakh|
|Madras Medical College||Merit based or Entrance exam followed by counselling||-||INR 2.59 Lakhs|
|Sri Ramchandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai, Tamil Nadu||Entrance exam followed by centralized counselling by DGHS, New Delhi||INR 20 Lakhs||INR 8.2 Lakhs|
|Christian Medical College, Ludhiana||Entrance exam along with counselling||INR 6.5 Lakhs||INR 9.60 Lakhs|
|Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Ajmer, Rajasthan||Entrance exam||INR 2,375||INR 3.6 Lakhs|
|Seth GS Medical College, Mumbai, Maharashtra||Entrance exam||INR 67,230||INR 10.1 Lakhs|
|Nims University, Jaipur||Entrance exam||INR 2,50,000||INR 8 Lakhs|
|Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi||Entrance exam||INR 18,600||-|
|Government Medical College, Amritsar, Punjab||Entrance exam||INR 1.25 Lakh||INR 30,000 – 25 Lakhs|
MS ENT :College Comparison
A comparison has been made among some of the top colleges offering Master of Surgery (ENT) in the table below. The comparison of these three colleges/universities is based on the parameters like NIRF rank, admission process, annual fees, average salary, and top recruiters.
|Parameter||All India Institute of Medical Sciences||Christian Medical College||Sri Ramchandra Institute of Higher Education and Research|
|Overview||All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Jodhpur (AIIMS Jodhpur) is an autonomous Institution. The well-maintained campus atmosphere provides a positive attitude towards study and medical service. Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Doctoral programs are offered at the AIIMS Jodhpur campus. AIIMS admissions are based on an entrance test conducted by AIIMS and are also limited to the number of seats available. The admission process is carried out with equal opportunity providing students with high-quality training.||Christian Medical College Vellore (CMC) is ranked among the most trusted and top medical colleges in India as well as one of the top colleges around the Globe. Christian Medical College is the home of the South Asian Cochrane Network and Centre and is also an internationally recognized Infectious Diseases Training and Research Centre.||Sri Ramachandra Educational and Health Trust established Sri Ramachandra University. It is a private not-for-profit university. The university covers 150 acres of land. The university is 9001:2000 certified. The university offers BBA, BDS, BASLP, BPT, MBBS, BOT, B.Optom, B.Sc., B.Pharm, DM, MD, Pharm.D, MBA, MDS and many more. The university is recognized by UGC and MCI. It is accredited by NAAC 'A' Grade, AERB, GLP, AABB, NABH, NABL and JCI.|
|NIRF 2020 ranking||1||3||13|
|Location||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||Vellore, Tamil Nadu||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Admission process||Entrance exam||Entrance exam followed by fitness test||Entrance exam followed by centralized counselling by DGHS, New Delhi|
|Average annual fees||INR 2,027||INR 1.77 Lakh||INR 20 Lakhs|
|Average annual package||INR 6.6 Lakhs||INR 3 Lakh||INR 8.2 Lakhs|
Source: Official websites
MS ENT Syllabus
Master of Surgery in ENT is a 3-year degree program. The MS ENT syllabus incorporates various assignments and a lot of research work as well. A detailed year wise breakup of the MS ENT syllabus is given below in the table:
|YEAR 1||YEAR 2||YEAR 3|
|E.N.T||Paediatric otolaryngology||ENT OPD|
|General surgical methods||Basic audiology||General surgical method|
|Anaesthesia||Basic neurology||Internship/ Practical training|
|General medicine ward||Radiology and Radiotherapy||Thesis presentation|
|Plastic surgery||ENT surgical methods and upper aero digestive tract endoscopy||Research work presentation|
|Neuron surgery||Anaesthesia methods||Comprehensive viva|
|Cardio-thoracic surgery||Practical session|
|Maxillary surgery||Operation theatre session|
What After MS ENT?
Master of Surgery in ENT or Otolaryngology course comes with various jobs and career opportunities. Fresh graduates of the course can easily expect an average MS ENT salary of INR 10 Lakhs to 40 Lakhs per year. The salary offered is proportional to the experience earned in the respective field and posts like:
- Chief surgeon
- ENT specialist
- General ENT consultant
- Senior data analyst
- Senior OPT
- Medical Scientist
- Research Assistant
- ENT Assistant
We have listed some of the popular job positions offered to successful graduates of the master of surgical (ENT) course, along with the corresponding job descriptions and average annual salaries offered to the graduates of Master of Surgery in ENT or Otolaryngology:
|JOBS||DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|Otolaryngologist||An otolaryngologist, often known as an ENT doctor who specializes in the treatment of the ears, mouth, throat and nose, they focus on the respiratory system, and otolaryngology includes the larynx, sinuses, and the structures of the face and neck. An otolaryngologist completes a residency program that includes coursework and training in the communication sciences which includes speech-language pathology and audiology, and in disorders of the upper alimentary system that is critical to digestion and nutrition. The duties of the otolaryngologist depend, in part, on the type of practice and additional specialization.||INR 3 to 15 Lakhs|
|Chief surgeon||The Chief Surgeon's responsibilities are to manage hospital staff, department directors and physicians to ensure the highest standards of quality and service are met in each surgical department and in the facility as a whole. The Chief Surgeon plays a significant role in developing policies and goals for the organisation/institution.||INR 9.81 Lakhs|
|Medical Scientist||The duties of medical scientist includes, conducting blood tests and performing blood counts, using a microscope or another tool to analyse body fluids to check for diseases, recording and analysing data, supporting scientific experiments and investigations and conducting some of your own, planning, setting up and completing controlled trials and experiments, working with a pathologist in the event of abnormal cell discovery and recording test data.||INR 5 to 7 Lakhs|
|Research assistant||The research assistant generates hypotheses and designs and performs experiments to test them, executes multiple experiments simultaneously over time independently, records all experimental findings in a laboratory notebook, and analyzes and interpret the experimental findings, based on results, independently suggests and tests modifications to protocols, prepares figures and diagrams for presentations and publications, communicates results and collaborates with other professionals in the lab.||INR 3 to 5 Lakhs|
|ENT assistant||An ENT specialist welcome patients and provide them with information on the facilities services, schedule patients over the telephone and in person and provide efficient follow up, fill in any empty appointment slots by contacting the patients from their waiting list, register new patients by performing intake duties such as acquiring demographic information and taking.||INR 3 to 7 Lakhs|
What is the MS ENT Scope in Future ?
The MS ENT Scope in future is very wide and after completing the course, candidates can get so many best opportunities in many fields anywhere in the world. The scopes of this course are:
After earning a Master of Surgical in ENT course, one can work in a government and private hospital for gaining experience and they can work as a practitioner.
The graduates are experienced and confident enough, so they can also start their own clinic.The graduates of MS ENT can also join research programs after the completion of the course and for advancement in studies; they can also take MCH (Oncology) programme that is the super specialized field of ENT.
ENT specialists are in high demand now-a-days in India as well as in foreign countries.Jobs to such professionals are also offered in the teaching field and the candidates who are interested in teaching can apply in medical institutes or universities for the post of professors.
If one is not interested immediately to pursue any job from the sectors mentioned above, then he/she can go ahead with various Doctorate of Medicine courses as further study options. This would help them to get both recognition and a good career graph ahead.
MS ENT : FAQs?
QUES: Which is better, an MS in ENT or an MS in general surgery? Why?
ANS: MS in ENT is better somewhere, because ENT is an end speciality field that allows access to various kinds of surgeries - microscopic, endoscopic and open neck surgeries. It allows an individual the options of choosing one sub area later if required. Also, for many reasons if one cannot perform surgeries then ENT allows a huge physician practice in the areas of Allergy, general ENT, and vertigo and sleep apnoea.
QUES: Is there no future in taking ENT as an option for post graduation after MBBS?
ANS. ENT is a very exciting speciality there are so many new branches evolving within like sleep medicine, otology, skull base, allergy, voice, cochlear implants, and vertigo and so on.
QUES: What is your opinion about MS ENT in India?
ANS: ENT is an advanced surgical subject. but not in the district towns, ENT still do not get the importance for the surgical part they deserve because of lack of awareness and the problem is that & if some of the surgical works are not regularly performed, the hand becomes bad.
QUES: What is the average income of a fresher in MS ENT in India?
ANS: It is variable, it depends on your marks, expertise , job/ private practice , network , place and timing.
QUES: How rewarding is MS ENT as a career option?
QUES: Which is better between MS Ophthalmology and MS ENT?
ANS: Ophthalmology course deals with eyes and ENT deals with ear nose and throat, both are branches with good balance between medical practice and surgical opportunities. It all depends upon the interest of a student in which field they want to make their career. Both fields are related to surgical expertise and it is gained through practice and dedication.
QUES: Why is MS ENT in low demand among medical graduates?
ANS: Now-a-days it is not among the top choices of any medical graduate as there is not much scope of super specialty in this branch (few seats for MCh head and neck surgery). Also the other main reason is that major e.n.t surgery like that of thyroid is taken over by general surgeons and most of the outpatient department is covered by a general physician.
QUES: What is the total duration of the MS ENT course?
ANS: The total duration of the MS ENT course is 3 years.
QUES: What are the different MS ENT jobs available?
ANS: The different MS ENT jobs available are Chief surgeon, ENT specialist, general ENT consultant, senior data analyst, otolaryngologist, senior OPT, Medical Scientist, Research Assistant, Otolaryngologist, ENT Assistant, etc.