Postgraduate Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy is a 2 year duration program in dermatology, Venereology, and Leprosy. The aim of this course is to impart professional competence in diagnosis and management of sexually transmitted diseases, common skin diseases, cosmetic dermatological diseases and leprosy independently among the students.
Admission to Postgraduate diploma in dermatology, Venereology, and leprosy course are made on the basis of performance at their graduation. The candidate should have scored a minimum of 50% in their graduation in the medical field.
This program is a postgraduate diploma in the field of dermatology, leprosy and venereology and is pretty compulsory to pursue further study in the areas of research. The average annual fee to pursue this course in Indian Colleges/ Universities usually ranges between INR 60,000 and 2,70,000
Some of the top colleges offering PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy course in Indian Colleges/ Universities are as follows:
- University of Delhi, New Delhi
- Amrita University, Kochi
- JSS University, Mysore
On completion of this course, students have numerous job opportunities of medical experts as dermatologists, venereologists etc. After completing this course, students may pursue further studies or may take up job opportunities associated with the course.
The average annual salary for a Postgraduate diploma in dermatology, venereology and leprosy diploma holder is around INR 8,00,000 per annum.
Postgraduate Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate Diploma|
|Duration of the Course||2 Years|
|Eligibility||MBBS degree or equivalent Medical degree with an aggregate of at least 50% marks|
|Admission Process||Merit/ Entrance-Based|
|Average Annual Fees||Between INR 60,000 and 2,70,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 8,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Government and private hospitals, government and private colleges etc.|
|Job Positions||Skin Specialist, Medical Representative, Clinical Application specialist, Therapy Manager, Dermatology Consultant etc.|
PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy Admission Process
The admission criteria for Postgraduate Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy is usually the same for almost all the dental colleges/universities. Most of them offer the course on the basis of the score in NEET PG. However, some colleges offer the course on the basis of institution-specific entrance exams, but NEET candidates are preferred everywhere.
The basic application process for the entrance based admissions is as follows:
- Visit the official website of the college/university.
- Register for the admission within the stipulated time period announced by the institute with a valid E-mail ID.
- After registering successfully, fill the application form by entering the requisite details.
- Upload the necessary documents in the prescribed format.
- Pay the application fees online or offline. The application fee varies across the colleges.
- Download the admit card once released
- Once the NEET PG is conducted, the qualified candidates need to participate in the counselling procedure.
- On the allocation of a seat to the candidate, he/she can complete the admission formalities by reporting physically at the college.
PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy Eligibility Criteria
In order to be considered eligible for admission to the PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy course, applicants need to fulfil the below mentioned criteria.
- MBBS degree with an aggregate of at least 50% marks.
- Certain colleges might conduct interviews for admission to PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy course in Indian Colleges/ Universities.
Which are the top Postgraduate Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy Entrance Exams?
The details of the entrance exams conducted by the colleges/ universities for admission to PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy are given below:
NEET PG: NEET PG is a national-level entrance exam conducted by the National Board of Examination for admission to postgraduate courses in the medical field. It is a computer-based examination with a duration of 3 hours.
The important dates of the entrance exam mentioned given is provided below:
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Date||Entrance Mode|
|NEET PG 2021||February 23 - March 15, 2021||April 18, 2021||Online|
How to Prepare for a Postgraduate Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy Entrance Exams?
In order to score well in the entrance exams, it is important to follow few preparation tips that will candidates to come out with flying colors
- Before commencing with the preparation it is pretty important for students to familiarize with the exam pattern and syllabus and mark the important topics that need to be covered.
- After understanding what will be asked in the entrance exam, the candidate must start their preparation by going back and fro to the basics, solving as many questions as possible and making notes of the same as it helps in registering the topics as well as for future revision
- After completion of the entire syllabus, the candidates must take up practice questions and mock papers as this will give them the feel of a real entrance exam.
- Learn from your mistakes and correct it. One may not score well in one go but it is important for students to see the room for improvement and work on it
- Keep revising the syllabus, the basics and keep giving as many mock papers as possible
How to get admission to a good PGD Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy College?
Securing an admission in a good college can make a huge difference when it comes to placements offered and the image it portrays of the students in the industry. So, a student must take care of the following things:
- Good colleges have a high cut-off for their admission purposes. Hence, a good score in the undergraduate programme gives students an upper hand.
- Some colleges also require a valid score in an entrance exam like NEET.
- Prepare for a group discussion or a personal interview as well.
- Know about the new innovations / discussions going on in the field.
- Have a strong work ethic.
- Be assertive, yet respectful.
PG Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy Syllabus
The important subjects included in the PG Diploma Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy syllabus are given below:
|Subjects of Study|
|Introduction, Historical aspects, and Epidemiology||Epidermal skin tumours|
|Comparative dermatology||Tumours of the skin appendages|
|Anatomy and organization of human skin||Melanocytic Naevi and Malignant melanoma|
|Functions of Skin||Disorders of skin colour|
|Diagnosis of skin diseases||Bullous eruptions|
|Histopathology of the skin-general principles||Lichen planus and Lichenoid disorders|
|Inflammation||Disorders of the sebaceous glands|
|Clinical immunology and allergy||Disorders of sweat glands|
|Genetics and genodermatoses||Disorders of connective tissue|
|Prenatal diagnosis of skin disease||Disorders of blood vessels|
|The Neonate||Rosacea, Flushing, and perioral dermatitis|
|Naevi and other developmental defects||Urticaria|
|Eczema, Lichenification, Prurigo and Erythroderma||Cutaneous vasculitis|
|Atopic dermatitis||Diseases of the veins and arteries including leg ulcers|
|Contact dermatitis||Disorders of lymphatic vessels|
|Irritants and Sensitizers||Noorobiotic disorders|
|Reactions to mechanical and thermal injury||Mastocytosis|
Top Colleges for PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy
The table below shows the best PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy program colleges and Institutions that offers the course in Full time mode:
|Name of the Institute/ University||Average Annual Fees|
|University of Delhi, New Delhi||INR 60,000|
|Amrita University, Kochi||INR 7,00,000|
|JSS University, Mysore||INR 18,00,000|
|Dr. D Y Patil Vidyapeeth, Pune||INR 27,89,000|
|Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik||INR 63,000|
|NKP Salve Institute of Medical Sciences, Nagpur||INR 12,84,100|
|NRI Medical College, Guntur||INR 6,39,450|
|Smt. NHL Municipal Medical College, Ahmedabad||INR 4,36,696|
|Armed Forces Medical College, Pune||INR 1,28,800|
|Smt. B.K. Shah Medical Institute and Research Centre, Vadodara||INR 7,50,000|
PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy College Comparison
Here’s a detailed comparison between two colleges that offer PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy course:
|Parameters||University of Delhi||Amrita University|
|Full Form||University of Delhi||Amrita University|
|About||University of Delhi offers a large number of courses at the UG, PG, Diploma and PG Diploma level.||This deemed university consists of 10 faculties, 49 departments, and provides undergraduate, postgraduate courses, diplomas, and research programs.|
|Course Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Course Level||Post graduation Diploma||Post Graduation Diploma|
|Admission Process||Merit/ Entrance-Based||Merit/ Entrance-Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 20,000||INR 11,23,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 6,00,000||INR 9,80,000|
PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy vs MD Dermatology
Both PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy and MD Dermatology are somewhat related to each other as they are the courses in the same field. However, there are small differences between two of these courses.
Also check top MD Dermatology Colleges in India here.
The difference between the above-mentioned two courses are provided in the table given below:
PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy
|Level||PG Diploma||PG level|
|Full form||Post Graduate Diploma||Doctor of Medicine|
|Duration||2 years||3 years|
|Eligibility||MBBS degree or its equivalent Medical degree (Recognized by MCI)||MBBS degree recognized by the Medical Council of India|
|Overview||Attend medical emergencies related to skin, venereal diseases and leprosy and adopt preventive measures at individual and community levels.||Diagnose and manage common skin diseases, sexually transmitted diseases and leprosy.|
|Average Annual Fees||Between INR 60,000 and 2,70,000||Between INR 5,000 and 25,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 8,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to 12,00,000|
PG Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy Future Scope
- PGD in dermatology, venereology and leprosy is a two year post graduate diploma programme for students who have a MBBS degree.
- Students who choose this course have an interest in the field of diseases of the skin or that spread through sexual contact and the patients of leprosy.
- Students who have completed this course can gain employment in the public and the private sector. A common practice among students after this course is to start their own consultancy and be self-employed. But private hospitals are open to hiring these individuals as dermatologists, cosmetic surgeons, etc. This option is quite effective as many people are opening up to doctors about their skin issues and are ready to seek help from the professionals.
- Other areas of employment are in skincare companies as a Medical Product Manager, where they will be required to produce products according to the standards of the industry. They might also be required to make products to heal allergies and so on.
- The students can also have an opportunity to work with NGOs that deal with STDs, STIs and leprosy. The government can place them in the department of disease control which is of most importance these days.
- And finally, there is always an option of continuing studies in research programs and joining the academics force.
PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy Job Prospects and Career Options
- Career prospects of Postgraduate diploma in dermatology, venereology and leprosy are limited to the Medical industry but can also be extended to other sectors requiring medical services.
- They find jobs ranging from Dermatologists and Medical Product Managers. The average salary is around INR 8,00,000 per annum.
- The compensation and salaries for these individual jobs are very area specific and also vary greatly with the amount of time spent in the field and expertise in the skill set.
The following job profiles can be expected by the candidates after completing PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy program:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Dermatologist||The work of a Dermatologist is to Counsel patients on topics such as the need for annual dermatologic screenings, sun protection, skin cancer awareness etc.||INR 9,52,000|
|Dermatology professor||A graduate of Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology and leprosy can teach the same course for a diploma level class after a year or two of working as an associate lecturer or teaching assistant.||INR 7,12,000|
|Cosmetic Surgeon||A plastic surgeon usually operates on a patient's face or body in order to repair the damaged area.||INR 10,92,000|
|Dermatology Consultants||Consultants generally lead multidisciplinary teams which may include SAS doctors, specialist nurses, specialist trainees etc.||INR 10,00,000|
|Medical Product Manager||A Medical Product Manager generally manages products by identifying potential products; conducting market research; generating product requirements; determining specifications, production timetables etc.||INR 12,45,000|
Postgraduate Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy FAQs
Ques. Can I study further after doing this course?
Ans. Yes, you can still apply for research programmes in this course. Advance courses in after Post graduate diploma in dermatology, Venereology, and leprosy are:
- PhD in Dermatology
- MPhil in Dermatology
Ques. Is this course available in a distance education mode?
Ans. No. technical courses like these are usually not available for distance education. It has a lot of practical aspects that require laboratory supervision.
Ques. What is the syllabus for this course?
Ans. PGD in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy is a two year post graduate diploma programme for students who have a MBBS degree. The students will have to study courses like:
- Introduction, Historical aspects, and Epidemiology
- Epidermal skin tumours
- Comparative dermatology
- Tumours of the skin appendages
- Anatomy and organization of human skin
- Melanocytic Naevi and Malignant melanoma
- Functions of Skin
- Disorders of skin colour
- Diagnosis of skin diseases
- Allergies and Immunology, etc.
Ques. What is the salary that one can get after doing this course?
Ans. The salary may differ as one can secure employment in the public or private sector. The annual salary can range from INR 6,00,000 to 12,00,000.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for this course?
Ans. The minimum requirement for this two year course is having a MBBS degree or equivalent with a minimum of aggregate of 50% marks. Some colleges also require a valid score in NEET, which can be followed by a GD / PI.
Ques. What does PGD Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy mean?
Ans. Post Graduate diploma in Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy is a comprehensive study that deals with components of skin diseases, dealing with STDs and leprosy. The program intends to impart to the postgraduate student professional competence in diagnosis and management of sexually transmitted diseases, common skin diseases, cosmetic dermatological diseases and leprosy independently.
Ques. What does a Dermatologist do?
Ans. Dermatologist is a doctor who specializes in skin issues. They consult patients for acne problems, dandruff, moles, psoriasis and so on. They also consult and create awareness of skin cancer, skin and lymph node self-examinations, etc.
Ques. What are some of the job profiles after this course?
Ans. The job profiles after this course range as Dermatology Professor, Skin Specialist, Medical Representative, Clinical Application specialist, Therapy Manager – IVF Artificial Reproduction, Dermatology Consultant, Sales Coordinator, Product Manager etc.