IIFT Selection Procedure 2019 - The selection procedure of IIFT 2019 will start after the announcement of result in the second week of January 2019. It is likely to be a two-step process where candidates will shortlisted based on their IIFT performance. IIFT 2019 will be conducted on December 2, 2018.
- The result of IIFT will be declared either in the last week of December 2018 or the first week of January 2019.
- It has a rigorous Selection Procedure, comprising three stages- Essay Writing, Group Discussion, and Personal Interview.
- Candidates excelling in all these stages are considered for final admission.
- The Group Discussion/ Personal Interview Rounds will be held at multiple centres across India.
- Foreign Nationals can apply directly through GMAT Score, without appearing for IIFT exam.
IIFT Selection Criteria Weightage
Here is the IIFT Selection Criteria Weightage 2019 for all the selection stages:
*From the 20% given to Interview, 2% will be awarded to gender diversity. So, if you are a male, your interview will carry 18% weightage.
IIFT Selection Criteria 2019
The selection rounds of IIFT involve 3 main steps. Each round acts as a filter to shortlist the most deserving candidates. The ones who make it till the end, save themselves a seat in IIFT Delhi/ Kolkata campus. Here are details of all IIFT Selection Rounds for your reference:
Stage 1- Written Test (IIFT Exam)
- For IIFT Exam 2019, candidates must register themselves by September 5, 2018.
- IIFT 2019 Exam Date is December 2, 2018.
- Exam is conducted in pen and paper mode.
- Total number of questions range from 120-125 each year. Check IIFT Exam Pattern
- The question paper is divided into four sections (English Comprehension, General Awareness, Logical Reasoning and Quantitative Analysis) and there is sectional cut-offs for each one of these sections.
- Candidates are advised to take mock tests online and solve IIFT Previous Year Question Papers for the purpose of preparation for the written exam.
Stage 2- Essay Writing
- Candidates shortlisted on the basis of their score in IIFT exam are called for the next round of selection procedure i.e. Essay Writing.
- Average Time for this round is 20 minutes and the word limit is 300 words.
- Here, they are tested on the basis of their excellent writing skills and conceptual knowledge about the topics presented.
- In order to prepare for this round of the selection procedure, it is important to read newspapers, especially the economy and business sections, regularly.
- One should also inculcate the habit of reading books and magazines from various genres, to develop a well-rounded thinking process.
A well-composed essay has a clearly defined introduction, a middle body and a strong conclusion. To be able to put one’s thoughts into concise words, one is advised to write ample number of essay pieces, covering some of the most important topics.
What are the questions asked in IIFT Essay Writing?
- Business and ethics don't go hand in hand these days.
- Union Budget is a useless exercise and activities like recession put it off-track
- Essential services like water, electricity should not be privatized
- Is disinvestment in profit making PSU's advisable?
- British Raj in India was good or bad.
- Child rights in India.
- Should CSR be made mandatory?
- Moral policing is an obstruction to country's art and culture.
Stage 3- Group Discussion and Personal Interview
The last step of the selection procedure for IIFT Exam is the Group Discussion and Personal Interview. Here are some key highlights of the same.
|IIFT 2019||IIFT Group Discussion||IIFT Interview|
|Average Time||5-10 minutes||5-10 minutes|
|No. of Panelists||02||03|
|No. of Participants||7-12||01|
- GD round is aimed at figuring out how the candidate tends to work in a team.
- He may be tested for an inclination to take charge or initiative.
- A candidate must have an optimistic, positive attitude and a tendency to resolve conflicts.
- As a part of GD, the candidates may be split in groups of 7 or so and then, they may be given a topic related to current affairs or business affairs to discuss.
- Candidates are adjudged on the basis of their ability to initiate proceedings, negotiation & persuasion skills, managerial in smooth conduct of the group discussion round, encouragement skills (who is able to ensure that everyone gets a chance to voice out their opinions) and ability to conclude by summarizing the points of discussion and bring the GD to a meaningful end.
Read How to ace IIFT Group Discussion?
Topics for IIFT GD Round
- The recent financial crisis highlights the perils of Capitalism
- Women's Reservation Bill
- Banning politicians with criminal records from contesting elections is against their right
- India versus Bharat: a divided nation
- Personal Interview in IIFT is aimed at getting to know who the candidate really is, as an individual.
- Here, the candidate has the most amount of control over the situation.
- A confident personality, a creative thought process and an innovative bent of mind are the parameters that are looked for in the candidate.
- If the candidate can maintain a calm and composed persona without getting flustered under pressure, then chances are that he would get selected, given everything else is in order.
- He should know the answers to some very common questions such as “Tell us something about yourself” and “What are your strengths and weaknesses”.
- These are questions that are asked as ice-breakers in every interview and being ill-prepared for such questions will give off a very bad impression.
- The candidate gets an opportunity to turn the interview in his favor.
- The panel on the other hand also gets the chance to drill the candidates about any existing loopholes.
- Hence, the candidate should be able to justify anything that has been mentioned in his profile and have reasonable explanations for any discrepancies.
Check How to Ace IIFT 2019 Essay Writing?
IIFT Selection Procedure for Foreign Nationals
- Candidates who fall under the category of Foreign Nationals or Non-Resident Indians (NRI) are also eligible to apply for IIFT Exam.
- They can apply directly through their GMAT (General Management Aptitude Test) Score, without appearing for IIFT Entrance Exam.
- For seeking admissions into MBA (IB), candidate’s GMAT result reach the institute latest by March 31, 2019.
- IIFT Application Form for foreign nationals is available until 1st week of February 2019, and the application fee is INR 4500.
IIFT Centers for Selection Process
Candidates will have to report to the allotted centre in the designated city for these rounds. The cities where the further rounds of selection process is conducted are -
Once all these rounds have been completed, the final merit list of selected students will be declared by IIFT on their official website.
IIFT Selection Trend
We have curated the data for selection/ admission trend of IIFT Exam over the years. The exam has seen a significant number of registrations over the years and only the deserving ones grab a seat. While the total intake has been constant (360), the number of shortlisted candidates have seen a remarkable rise.
Here is the IIFT Selection Trend for three consecutive years (2014, 2015, 2016) for your reference:
|Year||No. of Registrations||No. of Shortlisted Candidates||No. of Selected Candidates|
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College