Masters in Psychology in Canada:Top Universities, Eligibility, Course Fees, Scholarships, Jobs
Masters in Psychology in Canada is both full-time and part-time program, which is 1 to 2-years long. Some of the specialized areas of research offered are Cognitive Science, Psychoanalysis, Child Psychology, Clinical Psychology, etc. MS in Psychology is of 3 types- course and research-based (MS Psychology), intensive research-based (Master of Science in Psychology) and professional course (Master of Applied Psychology).
The cost of studying Masters in Psychology in Canada is approximately 32,000 USD for one year, all expenses included. Scholarships offered to international students, ranging from 760 USD to 13,250 USD at Canadian Universities offering MS in Psychology. Around 178 jobs are open for students post completion of MS in Psychology in Canada according to Indeed Canada, a leading job search portal.
Course Description of Masters in Psychology in Canada
Since 3 different types of Masters in Psychology are offered in Canada, the course descriptions also vary. The following table is a comparison between MS, MSc and MA in Psychology offered in Canadian Universities to international students:
|Factors||MS in Psychology||MSc in Psychology||Master of Applied Psychology (MAP)|
|Basic Difference||Offers holistic knowledge to students to prepare them for offering psychological services. Also, be able to diagnose and assess the problem to give appropriate therapy session.||It is a research-intensive program, which includes courses along with the research area and a final thesis submission after 2 years.||Acquire foundations in statistics, scientific methodology and relating field of Psychology that can be applied for research and evaluation.|
|Areas of Research||Clinical & counselling||Health, Developmental, Cognition, Perception and Neuroscience Psychology.||Social Psychology, Child Psychology & Applied Psychology|
|Duration||2 years||2 years||1 year|
|Scope||Clinical Psychologist, Counsellor, Psychotherapist||Clinical Therapist, Clinical Research Coordinator,||Educational Psychologist, Psychometrist, Behaviour Consultant|
|Starting Salaries (annual)||73,770 USD||58,430 USD||87,100 USD|
MS in Psychology in Canada Admission Process
The admission process in Canada for Masters in Psychology requires international applicants to fulfil the basic and program-specific requirements along with other particular specifications.
In order to get admitted to any of the Canadian university for MS in Psychology, prospective international students are required to fulfil the following eligibility criteria to be considered for admission:
- 10+2+4 years of education and a bachelors degree in Psychology or in a related field is mandatory for admission in Canada to Masters in Psychology.
- 75% to 80% in bachelors degree is required, to be eligible for admission to Masters in Psychology in Canada.
- It is recommended to complete a research thesis and advanced statistics in Psychology major before applying for Masters in Psychology in Canada.
- A- or B+ or a better grade in the majoring subject is mandatory for proving a good academic performance.
- GRE is also a requirement for admission to MS in Psychology in Canada. But not all universities have a requirement for the same
- Applicants must also prove that they do not have any criminal background to be eligible for admission in Canada to Masters in Psychology.
* Note: Merely fulfilling the minimum entry requirements does not guarantee admission to Masters in Psychology in Canada.
Admission Requirements for Masters in Psychology in Canada
A list of supporting documents and test scores are required to be submitted post-application submission of MS in Psychology in Canada universities. The list of the same is given below along with other additional requirements for international students:
- How to Apply for MS in Psychology in Canada?: Applicants can apply through the respective Canadian university for admission.
- Supporting Documents: The documents required to be submitted are as follows:
- Letter of Intent or Research or Statement of Purpose (SOP): Of 1 page stating the reasons for research and future goals post-MS in Psychology in Canada.
- CV or Resume: An updated CV or resume must also be submitted, stating the level of research in Psychology or professional experience (if any).
- Academic Transcripts: High school and university or college transcripts in a PDF format along with the stamp of the institution.
- Option Preference Form: Some Canadian universities require this form to know from the applicant the research area he/she wishes to take up while studying Masters in Psychology.
- Psychology Background Form: This form is also required from some universities in Canada to waive off GRE if the applicant has pursued a degree in Psychology previously.
- Test Scores Required: The following test and their minimum scores are required from international students willing to pursue a Masters in Psychology in Canada:
- Standardized Test Scores: GRE is required by most of the Canadian universities offering admission to Masters in Psychology.
- English Language Proficiency Scores: Following is a list of minimum scores mentioned, out of which only one is acceptable for admission to Masters in Psychology in Canada:
|Test Name||Minimum Score Required|
|TOEFL (iBT)||86 - 120|
|TOEFL (CBT)||213 - 250|
|TOEFL (PBT)||580 - 600|
|CAEL||70% - 80%|
|Test of Writing in English (TWE)||4.0 - 5.0|
|MELAB||85 - 90|
* Note: Each university has a different set of test acceptance policy, not all universities may accept all of the tests given above. Thus, applicants are recommended to check the requirements and tests required for admission to Masters in Psychology in Canada university wise.
Application Deadlines & Decisions for MS in Psychology in Canada
The deadline for application submission for admission to Masters in Psychology in Canada is between December to February, depending upon the university. Late applications or applications without the fee are not evaluated. Admission decisions for Masters in Psychology applications in Canada are released by the first week of April usually.
Top Ranking Universities for MS in Psychology in Canada
Top 10 universities offering the renowned Masters in Psychology in Canada have been tabulated below along with the Macleans (Canada) and Times Higher Education (THE) Rankings for 2019:
|University Name||Macleans Canada Rankings||THE Rankings (2019)|
|University of British Columbia||#1||#12|
|University of Toronto||#2||#19|
|University of Alberta||#10||#101-125|
Cost of Studying Masters in Psychology in Canada
The annual cost of studying a Masters in Psychology in Canada is 32,000 USD approximately for a full-time degree. The following section throws light upon the other expenses that are incurred while studying Masters in Psychology in Canada.
Estimate of Expenses in Canada
Initial Expenses for Students Applying for a Masters in Computer Science
Some payments are one-time like the application fee, health insurance, etc. that are to be submitted along with the admission application for Masters in Psychology in Canada. The following is a list of those one-time payments that come under this category:
|Expenses||Cost (in USD)|
|Pre-Departure in Canada|
|GRE Test Fee||205|
|University Application Fee||75|
|Visa Application Fee||235*|
|Health Insurance||410 - 607|
|Official Financial Statement||10,000|
|Post-Arrival in Canada|
|Hotel Accommodation||200 - 800|
|Meals||45 (per day)|
*150 USD for a study permit, 85 USD for biometric.
Monthly Student Expenses in Canada
Payments made by international students are on a monthly basis for living in Canada. Some of the commonly estimated range of various costs of living in Canada have been tabulated below:
|Expenses||Cost (in USD)|
|Off-campus Accommodation||6,000 - 7,728|
|Meal Plan||3,700 - 4,950|
|Personal & Miscellaneous||4,000|
The yearly expenses include tuition and a fee for pursuing MS in Psychology in Canada. An average tuition fee to study MS in Psychology in Canada is approximately 11,750 USD. Following is a list of universities in Canada offering Masters in Psychology along with their annual tuition fees:
|University Name||Yearly Tuition Fee (in USD)|
|Saint Mary’s University||12,780|
|University of British Columbia||15,310|
Masters in Psychology in Canada with Scholarships
Various scholarships are offered to international students in Canada enrolled in Masters in Psychology. The amount ranging from 760 USD to 13,250 USD. Canadian Universities offer various departmental and university wise scholarships to students enrolled in Masters in Psychology. The following scholarships and awards are offered by different universities like:
- The Arts Faculty at the University of Northern British Columbia offers Graduate Assistantship on an annual basis to competitive Psychology students enrolled in the master’s program. The amount offered is 11,400 USD.
- Jillings Award by the Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research Terms of Reference offers Clinical Psychology students admitted in the master’s program an amount of 2,200 USD at the University of Regina.
- At the University of Alberta, students enrolled in MS Psychology are offered the following scholarships:
- Dr. Brendan Gail Rule Graduate Scholarship offered to a student with an outstanding performance in academics in the Psychology department an amount of 1,400 USD.
- Dr. Jane Silvius Graduate Scholarship in Child Development is offered 12,200 USD, to only 1 student who is automatically selected by the Psychology department at the end of the course.
- ISSBD 2012 Graduate Scholarship is offered to that student whose research is based upon Developmental Science. A minimum amount of 760 USD is awarded.
- Concordia University offers a scholarship worth 13,250 USD to students enrolled in Masters in Psychology annually.
- The Psychology Department of Queen’s University offers average financial support of 20,100 USD per year to meritorious graduate students.
- Department of Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour (PNB) at McMaster University offers a departmental scholarship of 1,900 USD to graduates enrolled in MSc in Psychology.
Job Opportunities for Psychology Postgraduates in Canada
Post MS in Psychology only 27% of the students apply for admission into the Ph.D. program. The remaining, on the other hand, seek employment. They are recruited across institutions like universities or colleges, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, psychotherapy centers, research organizations, etc.
Students are usually employed across the following institutions for jobs in Canada after MS in Psychology:
|Government Agencies in Canada Recruiting Psychology Postgraduates|
|CLINWest Research Inc.||NeuroRx Research|
|Marianopolis College||McGill University|
|Montreal Therapy Centre||Novotech|
|Research Institute of McGill University Health Centre||Royal Canadian Mounted Police|
|University of Ottawa||University of Toronto|
The average starting salaries of postgraduates in Psychology from Canadian Universities range between 52,000 USD to 87,000 USD. They are usually seen holding the following profiles:
- Psychotherapist: 52,010 USD
- Occupational Psychologist: 60,472 USD
- Clinical Child Psychologist: 69, 744 USD
- Forensic Psychologist: 70,780 USD
- Clinical Psychologist: 73,770 USD
- Educational Psychologist: 87,100 USD
The University of British Columbia the #1 ranked university in Canada for Masters in Psychology. The 2018 admissions recorded that the number of applications received for MS in Psychology went up to 7.25% from 2017. Also, the application acceptance has increased to 9.5% for the 2018 admission session in comparison to 2017 intake. Thus, this positive increase in the application acceptance points to the fact that MS in Psychology will see an increase in the admissions for the upcoming session as well.
Ques. Which are the best universities in Canada for masters in psychology?
Ans.University of British Columbia (UBC), University of Toronto, McGill University, Waterloo University and Western University are some of the top-ranking universities of Canada offering masters in psychology.
Ques.How much does masters in psychology cost in Canada?
Ans. Annual tuition fee of top universities offering masters in psychology in Canada ranges from 8,000 USD to 28,000 USD. Western University has the highest tuition fee of 27,800 USD per annum.
Ques. What are the admission requirements for masters in psychology in Canada?
Ans. Students must have a bachelors degree with 75% to 80% to apply for masters in psychology in Canada. GRE score, letter of intent and resume are also required in some cases.
Ques. How long does a masters in psychology degree takes in Canada?
Ans. Three types of masters in psychology degree are offered in Canada. Minimum duration of MS in Psychology and MSc in Psychology is 2 years. However, Master of Applied Psychology can be completed in 1 year.
Ques. What is the salary of a psychologist in Canada?
Ans. Average salary of psychology graduates in Canada is around 52,000 USD to 80,000 USD. Some of the high paying jobs in Canada after masters in psychology are psychotherapist, clinical child psychologist, forensic psychologist and educational psychologist.