BHMCT or Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering Technology is a 4-year professional undergraduate course, offered by many universities in India. The course is specially designed for students willing to pursue a career in the hospitality industry.
The top colleges offering this course are usually affiliated to the National Council of Hotel Management and Catering Technology (NCHMCT). The course is focused on training enthusiastic students for the hospitality industry.
Know More About Hotel Management Courses
BHMCT syllabus includes subjects in the areas of Food Production, Housekeeping Operations, Catering Services, Communication Fundamentals, Accommodation Operations, Basic Accounting, Principles of Management, and also travel & tourism.
|BHMCT Colleges in New Delhi||BHMCT Colleges in Uttar Pradesh|
|BHMCT Colleges in Rajasthan||BHMCT Colleges in Telangana|
The eligible candidates who want to apply for this course should have passed Class XII from a recognized board. Admissions to the course are based either on the Common Entrance Test (CET) of universities, or are merit-based i.e, based on the marks scored in class XII examination.
|Full Form||Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering Technology|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized board|
|Entrance Exam||IPU CET, UPSEE, MAH BHMCT CET, NCHMCT JEE, etc.|
|Course Mode||Regular and DistanceMode|
|Specializations||hotel management, catering technology & tourism, hotel management, nutrition, hotel & catering management, food production management, food & beverage management, and accommodation management|
|Average Salary||INR 2 to 5LPA|
|Future Scope||BHMCT are MBA (Hospitality), MBA (Hotel Management), MBA (Tourism and Hotel Management)|
The table given below lists some of the top colleges offering BHMCT courses in India. The table also mentions their ranking in India and average fees charged.
|The Week Ranking||College Name||Entrance Exam Accepted||Average Annual Fees|
|13||Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, New Delhi||IPU CET||INR 1,17,000|
|15||NSHM Knowledge Campus, Durgapur||JEHOM||INR 1,99,800|
|23||Hotel and Catering Management Institute (HCMI) Chandigarh||Merit-based||INR 94,000|
|25||AISSMS College of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Pune||CET||INR 2,00,000|
|34||Dr. DY Patil Institute of Hotel Management and catering technology, Pune||MAH-CET||INR 1,45,000|
|-||Guru Nanak Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata||NCHMCT JEE and GNIHM JET||INR 1,88,000|
The average fee charged by colleges or universities may vary from INR 2.5 to 5 Lakhs. The fee charged by private and government colleges is different.
A fresh graduate of the course can easily expect a BHMCT salary ranging from INR 2 to 5 Lakhs. After completing this course of bachelors in hotel management and catering technology, students can seek employment in the hotel industry and also in many other sectors like tourism, airlines, food craft institutes, cruise ships, etc.
The various job profiles available to the students are Steward, Front Office Manager, Bartender, Receptionist, Housekeeping Supervisor, Sous-Chef, etc. One can even choose to pursue further education in any relevant field.
BHMCT Admission Process
Admission to the course is based either on the Common Entrance Test (CET) mechanism or the merit-based criteria adopted by certain colleges/universities. The top colleges usually select students based on entrance tests.
Given below is a brief description of the admission process.
- Usually, the admission procedure commences as soon as the 12 board results are declared. Most of the colleges or universities depend on the marks obtained by the students in the 12 board examinations for the purpose of granting admissions.
- In the case of entrance tests, students have to clear the minimum cut-off to qualify the respective exam of a college/university.
- The colleges or universities will then declare the result and release a merit list of shortlisted candidates.
- The shortlisted students will be called for group discussion and personal interview.
- After the admission process, the final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
The candidate should fulfill the basic eligibility criteria to apply for the college or to sit in the entrance examination:
- The candidate should have passed Class XII examinations from a recognized board.
- The student should have obtained certain minimum marks in the qualifying examination as mentioned by the universities individually.
BHMCT Entrance Exams
Several colleges and universities rely on the scores of self-conducted entrance exams to shortlist students for admission into the course. Some of the top entrance exams for BHMCT are mentioned below:
- IPU CET: IPU CET is conducted by Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University for the selection process. The forms for IPU CET are available generally during February, while the test is conducted in the month of May. The forms are only available online.
- UPSEE: UPSEE or Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination is conducted by Uttar Pradesh Technical University for admission to the BHMCT program. The forms are available in the month of February and an objective exam is held in the month of April.
- MAH BHMCT CET: MAH BHMCT CET is conducted by the State Common Entrance Test Cell, Government of Maharashtra. The exam is conducted for admission to the Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering Technology programs.
- NCHMCT JEE: NCHMCT JEE is a national level entrance exam conducted by NTA (National Testing Agency). The exam is conducted for admission into BSc Course in Hospitality and Hotel Administration (BSc HHA) across the country.
|Entrance Exam||Entrance Mode||Application Period||Exam Date|
|IPU CET||Computer-based test (online)||March 3,2020 to May 25,2020||To be announced|
|UPSEE||Offline||January 27,2020 to May 15,2020||Postponed|
|MAH BHMCT CET||Computer-based test (online)||March 2,2020 to May 20,2020||To be announced|
|NCHMCT JEE||Computer-based test (online)||January 1, 2020, to May 15, 2020||To be announced|
How to Prepare for BHMCT Entrance Exams?
Performing well in an entrance exam can be easy if one is well aware of the latest exam pattern. Hence one should do thorough research about it in order to develop a clear idea about the exam pattern.
Apart from this, one should know the full syllabus of the entrance exam. Mainly there are four sections in almost all the entrance exams conducted for admission into the BHMCT program.
- General English
- General knowledge and Current Affairs
- Numerical Ability and Analytical Aptitude
- Logical Reasoning
One can refer to the tips given below preparing for the entrance exams:
- BHMCT exam paper consists of multiple-choice questions with no negative marks for wrong answers.
- The questions asked in the exam generally test one's aptitude. Hence it is very important to do a proper revision of such questions. Concept clarification and practice is the key to crack the exam.
- Solving previous year question papers can prove to be extremely helpful. These help to understand the exam pattern even more clearly. Apart from this, one should solve at least 10-15 mock test papers before appearing for the exam.
- On the exam day, avoid reading any new topic. Just stay calm and composed and don’t think anything negative before entering the exam hall. Be confident about whatever you have learned.
How to get admission in a good BHMCT college?
- Admissions to the course are based either on the Common Entrance Test (CET) mechanism or the merit-based criteria adopted by certain colleges/universities. In merit-based criteria, the marks obtained by the students in the 12 board examinations are considered for the purpose of granting admission to the course.
- In the case of an entrance exam, it is very important to perform well in order to make it to a good college.
- Keep track of the important dates of the entrance, so that you can register for the exam on time.
- Be well updated about the exam pattern. This will definitely help you to perform well in the exam.
- One must start preparing for the entrance exam a year before as this gives ample time for learning and revision. Do keep your target institute in mind.
BHMCT: What is it about?
- Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering Technology [BHMCT] is a professional course that teaches necessary skills and knowledge for jobs in either the hotel industry or helping students to come up with their own businesses.
- Over the past years, the hospitality industry has witnessed a sudden boom. This has further led to an increase in the number of opportunities in the field of hotel management and catering.
- This course prepares students to indulge in the emerging fields of hospitality. The course is designed for students who want a career in the hospitality industry.
- This course is also the best-integrated course for students who are keen on learning new techniques for cooking and who seek to develop a career out of it.
- The course provides students with the platform to learn the cooking of a level equivalent to chefs and pursue it as their career.
- This course is also the best place for students interested in the field of hotel management, travel, and tourism.
- It is an extensive course that focuses on both, subject knowledge and practical training for real-life situations.
BHMCT Course Highlights
The following table lists some of the key highlights of this course.
|Duration of the course||4 years|
|Eligibility||A candidate must have passed Class XII examinations from a recognized board|
|Admission Process||Merit-based and Entrance exam based|
|Top entrance exams||IPU CET, UPSEE, MAH BHMCT CET|
|Average course Fee||INR 2.5-5 Lakhs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2-5 Lakhs|
|Top job positions||Steward, Front Office Manager, Bartender, Receptionist, Housekeeping Supervisor, Sous-Chef, etc.|
Why study BHMCT?
Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering Technology [BHMCT] is one of the most sought degrees in India in terms of personal growth and career growth opportunities. There are many benefits to pursuing BHMCT. Some of them are given below.
- The course provides various career growth opportunities and promotes the growth of knowledge.
- The course imparts an in-depth knowledge about the various aspects of hospitality as a subject.
- The course offers handsome salary packages ranging from 2 lakhs per annum up to 5 lakhs per annum.
- The course opens up various career opportunities in front of students. Students can either find themselves working in the respective field or pursuing higher education in the related fields. Either way, their knowledge of the subject builds up.
BHMCT vs BHM
Here is the basic course comparison between BHMCT and BHM, based on the course overview, objective, specializations, average fees, average salary, and top colleges offering the program. Check for top BHM Colleges in India.
|Qualification||Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering Technology||Bachelor of Hotel Management|
|Course Overview||BHMCT is a 4 years course. The course prepares students to pursue a career in the hospitality industry. The course efforts at imparting theoretical knowledge along with practical knowledge.||BHM as a course teaches students about the various domains of the hospitality industry like hotel management and catering technologies. The course duration varies as per the college/university. Some colleges offer it as a 3 years course while others offer it as a 4 years course.|
|Course Objective||The course aims at imparting knowledge about the hotel and catering industry. The course focuses on broader aspects of the hospitality industry.||The course aims at imparting knowledge about hotel management. The main idea is about the functioning and management of the hotel industry.|
|Eligibility||10+2 with minimum 50 % eligibility from a recognized board.||10+2 with minimum 50% marks from a recognized board.|
|Admission Process||Based on the entrance exam||Based on the entrance exam, followed by group discussion and interview.|
|Specializations||Hotel management, Catering technology and tourism, Diet and nutrition, etc||Hotel and catering management, Food production management, Food and beverage management, Accommodation management|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2.5-5 lakh||INR 3-8 lakh|
|Average salary offered||INR 2 to 5 lakhs||INR 2 to 5 lakhs|
|Job options available||Steward, Front Office Manager, Bartender, Receptionist, Housekeeping Supervisor, Sous-Chef, etc.||King chef, front desk officer, accounting manager, executive housekeepers, catering officer, cabin crew, etc.|
|Colleges||Shri Shakti College of hotel management, Hyderabad, Punjab University, Chandigarh, University school of hotel management and catering technology, Mohali, Pioneer institute of hotel management, Hyderabad, Institute of hotel management catering technology and applied nutrition, Meerut||Army institute of hotel management and catering technology, Bangalore, Institute of hotel management and catering, Udaipur, Himalayan institute of technology, Dehradun, Assam downtown university, Guwahati|
A significant number of colleges across the country offer BHMCT courses to candidates who have passed their class 12 examinations from a recognized board. Some of the top BHMCT colleges in India are mentioned below:
There are various top colleges that offer BHMCT courses, and therefore it becomes difficult to choose. So below is the comparison of the top 3 colleges that offer BHMCT, on the basis of college overview, average fees, average salary, and top recruiters.
|College name||University School of Hotel Management and Catering Technology||Pioneer Institute of Hotel Management, Hyderabad||Institute of Hotel Management Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition|
|College overview||University school of hotel management and catering technology, Mohali is a premier institute offering various courses in the fields of hospitality. The college offers courses like BHMCT, MHMCT, BHM, Ph.d. and other diploma courses.||Pioneer institute of hotel management was established in 2000 by the CBM educational society. The college is affiliated to Osmania University, Hyderabad. The college offers BHMCT, BHM, postgraduate diploma in hotel management, and several other certificate courses.||IHM, Meerut is a well-known hotel management institute in north India. It provides quality education to its students in the fields of hospitality.|
|Admission Process||Depends on merit + NCHMCT JEE scores.||Based on marks of 10+2 examination.||Depends on UPSEE scores and interview.|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 80,000||INR 90,000||INR 74,600|
|The average annual package offered||INR 2,00,000||INR 1,70,000||INR 1,90,000|
|Top recruiters||Taj group of hotels, Aditya Birla group, Oberoi hotels, and resorts, Aon Hewitt||Taj, Hyatt, Oberoi hotels and resorts, Domino's, Fortune hotel, Oyo, Sheraton||Pizza hut, Holiday inn, Swiggy, The park hotels, Green park hotels|
BHMCT Distance Education
Sometimes, due to various reasons, one can not pursue the desired course through regular learning, here distance learning comes to rescue. BHMCT is also awarded through distance education mode by colleges like Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU). The university is located in Delhi and offers various distance learning programs.
Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering Technology [BHMCT] is divided into eight semesters. Each year of study comprises two semesters. The course curriculum includes several theory exams, assignments, practical work. The weightage for theory papers and the weightage for practical papers is different for different universities.
The course curriculum and syllabus are almost similar for all the colleges or universities offering BHMCT. Given below is a tabulated overview of the topics covered and their respective description.
|Name of the course||Topics covered||Description|
|Food Production||Professional cookery, organization structure, commodities used, food pre-preparation||Introduction to the basics of kitchen tool usages.|
|Food and Beverage Service||Various aspects related to the industry and equipment||Technical skills required for the services.|
|Housekeeping Operations||Housekeeping departments, cleaning equipment, etc.||Basic knowledge about housekeeping skills.|
|Front Office Operations||Room tariffs, telephone etiquettes, etc.||Handling the front desk effectively.|
|Catering Science||Hygiene, food microbiology, protecting food, personal hygiene, etc.||The understanding of the importance of hygiene and food handling.|
|Communication Fundamentals||The communication process, communication barriers, listening, etc.||Improving the communication and oral skills of the students.|
|Accommodation Operations||Contract cleaning, controlling pests, textiles, laundry management, etc.||Learning cost control and establishing profitability.|
|Computer Fundamentals||Computer fundamentals, WINDOWS, MS WORD, MS EXCEL, POWERPOINT presentation, etc.||To enable the students to learn basic computer skills and incorporate it into their daily work.|
|Basic Accounting||Accounting, subsidiary books, cash books, accounting principles, etc.||To understand the concepts of accounting and include it in hotel management.|
|Principles of Management||Management thought, planning and decision making, organizing and staffing, leadership, communication, etc.||Learning the concepts of management.|
|Hotel Accountancy||Introduction to a joint-stock company, company final accounts, allowances and visitors paid out, guest billing, etc.||Knowledge about the books maintained at the hotels, day-to-day final transactions, and record keeping.|
|Human Resource Management||Introduction, human resource planning, HR department, wage and salary administration, grievances and discipline and labor management, etc.||Developing a positive behavior at work.|
|Travel and Tourism||Tourism phenomenon, constituents of the tourism industry, infrastructure and types of tourism, the impact of tourism, tourism organization, etc.||Establish a link between the travel industry and tourism.|
BHMCT Jobs and Career Options
There is a wide scope for graduates in the hospitality industry. The average BHMCT salary earned by such graduates ranges between INR 2 to 5 Lakhs. Some of the major job profiles offered to such graduates are tabulated below:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary Offered|
|Steward||A steward is a person who looks after and is responsible for supplies of food to a college, club, or other institution. Such persons are also employed in ships, aircraft or trains||INR 3,50,000|
|Front Office Manager||Front Office Managers are generally found in hotels or event management companies. Their main responsibility is to arrange events, look after the needs of their clients, and deliver the best possible services.||INR 5,60,000|
|Sales Manager||A Sales Manager is responsible for organizing a team and directing the team's focus for more productive results. Such a person sets goals, analyses the sales data, motivates and helps improve the sales process of a company||INR 4,70,000|
|Hotel Management Trainee||A Hotel Management Trainee undergoes training in various departments so as to become capable of handling big and responsible positions in the future. The training includes kitchen, reception, restaurant, housekeeping, personnel, administration, banquet, and marketing.||INR 3,50,000|
|Bartender||A Bartender usually experiments with alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. He is responsible for interacting with customers and serving them with the best of his capacity||INR 3,30,000|
The graph given below shows the various job profiles available to BHMCT graduates and the respective salary associated with the job profile.
Over the past years, Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering Technology [BHMCT] as a course has gained immense popularity among students. It not only provides students with good-paying jobs but at the same time also opens up an opportunity to turn their hobby/passion into their career.
- Students who enjoy cooking can be great chefs while students interested in management can be great hotel managers.
- To dive into the field of management one can pursue an MBA in hospitality or hotel management. This helps students to increase their skill set.
One can even choose to pursue post-graduation in management. Those who want to go for higher studies can choose:
- MBA Hospitality Management - This MBA program is focused on managing the hotels. Thus the students will learn to develop managerial skills, decision making, and problem-solving skills for the hospitality industry.
- MBA in Hotel Management - This is one of the common choices for hotel management students.
- MBA in Tourism and Hotel Management - This MBA will focus more on managing works in the tourism industry, which may also include airlines.
Ques. What are the eligibility criteria one must fulfill in order to pursue BHMCT?
Ans. A candidate must have passed Class XII examinations from a recognized board.
Ques. How much does it cost to pursue the BHMCT degree program?
Ans. The average course fees in India ranges between INR 2.5-5 lakhs for the total duration.
Ques. Which are some of the most popular colleges offering BHMCT?
Ans. Some of the most popular colleges offering BHMCT are Shri Shakti college of hotel management, Hyderabad, Punjab University, Chandigarh, University school of hotel management and catering technology, Mohali, Pioneer institute of hotel management, Hyderabad, Institute of hotel management catering technology and applied nutrition, Meerut.
Ques. What are the various job positions available for a fresh BHMCT graduate?
Ans. Some job positions available to fresh BHMCT graduates are Steward, Front Office Manager, Bartender, Receptionist, Housekeeping Supervisor, Sous-Chef.
Ques. Can I pursue the BHMCT degree program through distance learning mode?
Ans. Yes, you can pursue the BHMCT degree program through distance learning mode. One of such universities offering this course through distance learning is Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
Ques. What type of questions are asked in BHMCT entrance exams?
Ans. In any BHMCT entrance exam, questions are generally asked related to general English, general knowledge, awareness, and reasoning.
Ques. Are the entrance exams for the BHMCT course postponed due to COVID19?
Ans. Yes, most of the entrance exams have been postponed due to the ongoing pandemic. The new dates and other updates of the exams can be found by visiting their respective official websites.
Ques. What is the various specialization one can opt for in the BHMCT course?
Ans. The various specializations available to students are hotel management, catering technology & tourism, hotel management, nutrition, hotel & catering management, food production management, food & beverage management, and accommodation management.
Ques. What are some of the courses, which one can pursue after completing BHMCT?
Ans. Some of the courses which can be pursued after completing BHMCT are MBA (Hospitality), MBA (Hotel Management), MBA (Tourism and Hotel Management).