MPhil Biochemistry is a two-year full-time post-graduate program. It is further divided into four semesters. It is a research-based program. Biochemistry is the utilization of chemistry in the study of biological processes at the cellular and molecular levels. It uses the methods of chemistry, physics, biology, and immunology to review the structure and behaviour of the complex molecules found in biological material and therefore the ways these molecules interact to make cells, tissues, and whole organisms.
To be eligible, a student must have a graduate degree in biochemistry or biotechnology with at least 50% marks. Although, many colleges conduct an entrance exam for admission to this course.
Admissions to the program are based on the candidate’s performance in the entrance exams. Some accepted exams are UGC NET, ICAR and more.
Some top colleges offering the program are Bharathidasan College of Arts and Science, Erode, PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore, Chandigarh University, Chandigarh, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, Annamalai University, Chidambaram and many more. The course fee differs from college to college, however, the average fee ranges from INR 1,000 to 1 Lakh.
See more: MPhil Biochemistry Top Colleges
Students of this course are taught sufficient biochemical knowledge that is required to properly understand the metabolism, function, and growth of a healthy human body. The intricacy of life can be easily understood through biochemistry. This field has numerous applications in areas such as the food industry, genetics, agriculture, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, human health, forensic science, etc.
After completion of M. Phil. Biochemistry, many multinational companies offer jobs in the field of microbial technology, immunology, genetics, vaccinology, food, and beverages. A biochemistry graduate can also choose for an academic career by joining institutes and universities as professors and lecturers or even pursue post-doctoral fellowships.
Some top recruiters of the college are Magna India Services, I-Skills Solutions, Accenture, Gautam Consultancy, Genpact, etc. The average starting salary can differ from graduates abilities, however, it ranges from INR 2 to 10 Lakhs.
MPhil Biochemistry: Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Master of Philosophy in Biochemistry|
|Examination Types||Semester system|
|Admission Process||ICMR, GPAT, NET, GATE|
|Course Fee||INR 1,000 to 1 Lakh|
|Average Salary||INR 2 to 11 Lakhs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Magna India Services, I Skills Solutions, Accenture, Gautam Consultancy, Genpact|
|Job Positions||Senior Research Fellow, Technical Specialist Genetics, Biochemistry Specialist, Assistant Research Specialist|
MPhil Biochemistry: Admission Process
Various entrance exams like GATE, NET, GPAT, and ICMR are conducted in different disciplines of Commerce, Arts, Management, and Science followed by an interview in the respective area.
- Choose College/University: Candidates must choose a suitable college or university where they wish to apply for pursuing M. Phil. Biochemistry.
- Apply for Course: After choosing their respective universities, candidates can proceed further to fill the course application and pay the required application fee. Candidates must be alert that applications are available for a limited period. They must be ready in advance.
- Appear for the Entrance Exam: The next step in the admission process is to appear for the entrance exam for the respective college a candidate chose. Candidates must be aware of certain exam details like exam date, marking scheme, exam duration, etc.
- Results: Candidates have to score required marks or percentage to make into merit list to be eligible for admission.
- Counselling: Lastly, candidates must appear for the counselling process in the university to book their seats, pay the required fees and submit the admission documents.
MPhil Biochemistry: Eligibility Criteria
For being eligible for MPhil Biochemistry:
- The student must have cleared their 10+2 examination with physics, chemistry, and biology.
- The qualifying total should be at least 50% and above.
- Students who have opted for Bachelors of Science in Biotechnology can also go for this option.
MPhil Biochemistry: Entrance Exam
- GATE: This exam is conducted by IIT Bombay to join the post-graduate course in engineering or science for IITs and IISc.
- NET: This exam is conducted to decide the eligibility for the post of Junior Research Fellowship and Junior Assistant in Indian Colleges and Universities.
- GPAT: It is a national-level aptitude exam for entry into Masters of Pharmacy programs.
- ICAR: This exam is conducted to grant eligibility for postdoctoral courses in medicine.
Given below are the exam dates of the above-mentioned entrance exams:
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|GATE||IIT Bombay||6, 7, 13, and 14 Feb 2021||Online|
|NET||National Test Agency (NTA)||2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 14, and 17 May 2021||Online|
|GPAT||National Test Agency (NTA)||27 Feb 2021||Online|
|ICMR||Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh||4th week of July 2021||Online|
MPhil Biochemistry: What is it about?
- Master of Philosophy in Biochemistry is a combined subject meeting the need for the basic and applied aspect of biology as well.
- It also prepares a student to become an entrepreneur, researcher, teacher, etc.
- Applicants who would like to obtain experience in a particular area or can be associated with a PhD program, for the M. Phil. can act as a stand-alone degree.
- Biochemistry aims to find and comprehend every aspect of the organization and function of living organisms.
Why study MPhil Biochemistry?
- After pursuing M. Phil. In biochemistry, students can opt for academic careers in many Indian colleges and Universities or do some research of their own.
- Students can further move to advance PhD courses in biochemistry.
- Many multinational companies hire biochemistry graduates for Research and Development, Pharmaceuticals, Food Industry, Immunology, etc.
MPhil Biochemistry: Top Colleges
|College Name||Average Fees|
|Bharathidasan College of Arts and Science, Erode||INR 40,000|
|PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore||INR 19,000|
|Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh||INR 9,285|
|Annamalai University, Chidambaram||INR 48,050|
|Calicut University, Calicut||INR 6,575|
|Mewar University, Chittorgarh||INR 28,000|
|Davangere University, Davangere||INR 13,000|
|GITAM Institute of Science, Visakhapatnam||INR 56,000|
|Indo American College, Tamil Nadu||INR 26,000|
MPhil Biochemistry: College Comparison
|Parameter||Bharathidasan College of Arts and Science||Aligarh Muslim University|
|Overview||Bharathidasan college of Arts and Science, Ellispettai, Erode was established in 1995||Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), established in 1920, by Sir Syed Ahmed Khan, is one of the top universities in India with a NIRF Ranking of 17|
|Average Salary Package||INR 2 to 11 lakhs||INR 2 to 11 lakhs|
|Top Recruiters||Wipro, Genpact, ICICI Bank, NIIT, etc||Wipro, Genpact, ICICI Bank, NIIT, etc|
MPhil Biochemistry: Distance Education
Given below are the colleges offering MPhil Biochemistry in distance education mode:
MPhil Biochemistry: Course Comparison
|Parameters||MPhil Biochemistry||MSc Biochemistry|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% or above in graduation||Minimum 45% or above in graduation.|
|Focus Area||MPhil Biochemistry focuses more on research and data developments through extensive research activities.||MSc Biochemistry focuses more on the study of the chemical and cellular functions of living things.|
|Entrance Exam||NET, GATE, ICMR, GPAT||NIMSEE, GSAT, KCET, BHU-PET|
|Job Roles||Biochemistry Assistant Professor, Senior Research Fellow, Biochemistry Specialist||Technician, Medical Transcriptionist, Consultant|
|Average Fees||INR 1,000 to 1 Lakh||INR 30,000 to 1 Lakh|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 4,92,000 LPA||INR 4,79,000 LPA|
MPhil Biochemistry: Course Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|General Biochemistry||Clinical Biochemistry|
|Plant and Microbial Biochemistry||Protein Engineering|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Research Thesis||Research Thesis|
MPhil Biochemistry: Future Scope
- A career in Biochemistry will need an individual’s ability to understand the chemical combinations and reactions that take place due to biological processes like heredity, reproduction, growth, metabolism, etc. A selected area would also look at the effect that the organism has on its surroundings.
- Career and growth opportunities in Biochemistry can be virtually infinite. Hospitals, government agencies, non-profit organizations, and private research institutions are all in search of good biochemists.
- Pharmaceutical companies always hunt for biochemistry professionals. One of the most profitable options for a growing biochemist is private Research and Development jobs. Biochemists can work in private as well as public companies. They are usually involved with physicists, engineers, healthcare professionals, chemists, and policymakers.
- They are also engaged in various organizations including food institutes, cosmetics, forensic research, education, universities, drug discovery, and many more professional job opportunities with great payroll.
- Graduates can also pursue PhD in related subjects or even go for post-doctoral fellowships
MPhil Biochemistry: Job Profiles
|Job Role||Role Description||Average Salary|
|Assistant research scientist||Biotechnology researchers investigate both plant and animal life at the molecular level to understand their place in nature. This research can lead to breakthroughs intended to benefit mankind.||INR 3,87,000|
|Senior research assistant||Clinical research assistants work for laboratories, hospitals, and other institutions that conduct scientific studies.||INR 5,54,000|
|Technical specialist||The duties of an information technology specialist can include software development and database administration. They may also provide technical support to a business or an organization's employees and train non-technical workers on the business's information systems.||INR 10,72,000|
|Specialist biochemistry||Biochemical product specialists generally have sales experience and a degree in biochemistry. They must have an in-depth knowledge of the products they are selling; this could include testing kits or participate in research opportunities. Their technical understanding of biochemistry can work with clients to create a particular complement of products and services.||INR 8,00,000|
MPhil Biochemistry: FAQs
Ques. What is the course duration for M. Phil. Biochemistry?
Ques. Is there any Entrance Exam for admission to M. Phil. Biochemistry?
Ques. What is the educational qualification required for admission to the M. Phil. Biochemistry course?
Ques. What is the admission procedure for admission to the M. Phil. Biochemistry program?
Ques. What is the average fee for the course M. Phil. Biochemistry program in Indian Colleges and Universities?
Ques. What are some of the names of top recruiting companies for the job in Biochemistry?
Ques. What is the average annual salary of a biochemist?
Ques. What is the most lucrative job in the field of Biochemistry?
Ques. Are there any further courses after pursuing M. Phil. Biochemistry?