What is PhD Social Sciences?
PhD Social Sciences in a doctoral-level course in Social Sciences. The course has a minimum duration of 3 years and a maximum duration of 5 years. Some of the most prestigious PhD Social Sciences colleges in India are Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Lovely Professional University, St. Joseph College, Gujarat University, etc.
PhD Social Sciences course deals with a wide variety of topics like social upliftment, public welfare, women empowerment, right based activism and many more. It focuses on various important aspects of society. The studies indulge in various research-based activities on topics related to Social Sciences.
If you wish to become eligible for the PhD Social Sciences course, you need to have a postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline. The admission process is either on the basis of your merit or based on the marks secured by the candidate in the entrance test. Some colleges also conduct an interview process.
See Also: Top PhD Social Sciences Colleges India
PhD Social Sciences courses are also quite popular abroad. There are a number of top-notch colleges and universities which offer you courses in Social Science. However, for that, you may have to appear for additional entrance tests like GRE, TOEFL or IELTS.
Check Out: Social Studies Colleges in Germany
Our country has a lot of popular Social Sciences colleges. So, here we have mentioned some of the most reputed PhD Social Sciences colleges in India according to the NIRF Ranking:
|NIRF University Rankings 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Average Fee||Average Salary|
|2||Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi||Entrance test||INR 1,381||INR 6 LPA|
|3||Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||Entrance test||INR 8,368||INR 10 LPA|
|9||Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune||Entrance test||INR 20,000||INR 6.5 LPA|
|34||Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Maharashtra||Entrance test||INR 60,800||INR 15 LPA|
|101-150||Central University of Rajasthan||Entrance test||INR 24,055||INR 10-15 LPA|
The average tuition fee of the PhD Sociology course is INR 10,000 to INR 400,000. After completing the course, the students get a wide range of career options to choose from. He/ She can become a Public welfare officer, Social worker, Civil Servant, etc.
The average salary of the PhD Social Sciences candidates is INR 18,000 to INR 20,000. The payscale is completely dependent on the job profile of the candidates.
PhD Social Sciences Course Highlights
|Full-form||Doctorate of Philosophy in Social Sciences|
|Eligibility||Master degree in relevant discipline|
|Admission Process||Direct Admission/ Entrance test.|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 to INR 400,000|
|Average Salary||INR 18,000 to INR 20,000|
|Job Positions||NGO activist, social worker, child right activist, social researcher, civil servant.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Teaching, Civil Services, Social Services, Policy Coordination, Public Welfare Activities.|
PhD Social Sciences Eligibility
Here we have discussed some of the major eligibility criteria for the PhD Social Sciences course:
- The candidates need to complete their master degree course from a recognized university with a minimum of 55% marks.
- For those institutes which conduct an entrance test, the students must also clear the common entrance test with the desired percentage.
- The reserved category students may get certain relaxation of marks. However, they need to produce their caste certificate for that.
- Apart from these, some colleges may also have their specific eligibility criteria that the students will also have to satisfy.
Check Out: BA Social Science
PhD Social Sciences Admission Process
The structure of the PhD Social Sciences admission process depends on the college or university where you would like to get admitted to. If the admission process is completely merit-based, then all you need to do is submit the application form along with the necessary academic details and wait for the college to publish the merit list. However, if the admissions are done based on the entrance test results, then you will have to sit for the examination and clear the cut-off. Only then will you be able to become a part of the college of your choice.
- Ph.D. in Social Sciences: Direct Admission
The admission process for PhD Social Sciences is mentioned below:
Step 1: Fill the application form
As soon as the application forms are released, you will have to collect the form from the official website of the university and fill up the necessary details.
Step 2: Admission to the college
After all the application forms are submitted, the college will prepare the merit list and the shortlisted candidates can then take admission to the college.
- Ph.D. in Social Sciences Admission Process: Entrance Test
The admission process for PhD Social Sciences through Entrance Exam Is mentioned below:
Step 1: Fill the application form
The easiest way to fill up the application form is to fill it up online. You can also collect the form from the college campus.
Step 2: Appear for the entrance test
The entrance test is conducted after the application forms have been submitted. The examination pattern is decided by the conducting university.
Step 3: Admission to the college
The candidates who clear the cut-off of the entrance test can get admitted to that particular college. In order to complete the admission process, the candidate may have to visit the college campus.
Check Out: BSc Social Sciences
PhD Social Sciences Entrance Exams
Most of the premium institutes of the country admit PhD Social Sciences students based on their ranks in the entrance examination. The application forms for the entrance tests are released mostly in July or August. This year, however, we are still not sure when the examinations are going to be held because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Here, we have listed a few of the most common PhD Social Sciences entrance examinations of India:
- UGC NET 2021: UGC NET is that particular examination which every PhD aspirant sits for. The examination is of national level and all the candidates with a certain percentage in their master degree course can sit for the examination.
- UGC CSIR NET 2021: Council of Scientific & Industrial Research – National Eligibility Test is another national level examination for PhD students. Cracking this examination would provide a lot of opportunities to the PhD candidates.
- DTU Ph.D Entrance Test 2021: Delhi University conducts the DTU PhD Entrance Test every year for admitting the students to its PhD. courses. You can collect the examination form for the same in the month of November.
- LPUNEST 2021: LPUNEST is the all-India level entrance test conducted by Lovely Professional University. The examination is held throughout the month of June and the examination pattern is different for different courses.
- GTU PhD Entrance Exam 2021: GTU PhD Entrance Exam is the entrance test conducted by Gujarat Technical University. You may opt for the examination either in online or in offline mode.
Check Out: PhD Entrance Exams in India
|Entrance Test||Mode of Examination||Total Time||Date of Application||Date of Examination|
|UGC NET 2021||Online||3 hours||April 2021||June 2021|
|UGC CSIR NET 2021||Offline||3 hours||March 2021||June 2021|
|DTU Ph.D Entrance Test 2021||Offline||3 hours||November 2021||December 2021|
|LPUNEST 2021||Online||3 hours||May 2021||June 2021|
|GTU PhD Entrance Exam 2021||Online and Offline||3 hours||December 2020||January 2021|
How to prepare for the PhD Social Sciences entrance test?
Preparing for the PhD Social Sciences entrance test is not an easy task as there are thousands of candidates who apply for the course each year. Here are a few extremely preparation tips for you:
- First and foremost, you need to learn time management. Only those people who know how to manage time properly are able to secure a very good rank in the entrance test. This is because when it comes to examination preparations, every second is equally important.
- Next, you will have to prepare a proper study plan and follow it religiously. Making a study plan will give your preparations and direction and will also keep you motivated at all times. However, your study plan should be a realistic one and not something too difficult to follow.
- You should get yourself a copy of the official syllabus of the examination. When it comes to preparing for the entrance test, knowing the syllabus is of utmost importance. This will ensure that you do not miss out any important section and study only those portions that are important from examination point of view.
- You must revise all your chapters properly. Proper revision is very important for securing a good score in the examination. This will help you to recapitulate all the chapters that you have previously read. It will also boost your self-confidence.
- Most colleges and universities stick to a particular examination pattern. So, practising questions from previous year’s question papers will help you identify the examination pattern. Links to a few important sample papers and previous year’s question papers have been given below:
- Keeping your calm is also a very important part of preparation. Most people do not get the desired results only because they feel stressed out. So, you must not panic and remain confident about your preparations.
How to get admission in a good college?
Being admitted to a very good college is not an easy task. You will have to be very careful while making your decision. So, here are very popular tips that will help you to get admitted to a good college:
- First of all, you need to spend some time deciding which college is best for you. You may speak to your friends and family and also ask for their advice.
- You may check various websites for reviews and ratings. This will give you an idea regarding whether the college you would like to get admitted to is up to the mark or not.
- Once you have decided your college, you will have to start the admission process. The admission form will have to be filled up extremely carefully.
- If your college conducts an entrance test, you are required to prepare really well for the entrance test. This will help you to clear the cut-off for the test.
- Always check the internet for important details like the last date of submission of the application form, number of vacancies, date of entrance test, etc. You can also check the official website of the university for that purpose.
- Check out the average CTC offered by the institute you wish to be a part of. If your college does not provide you with good placements, it won't be a good choice to be a part of that institution.
- Also, you need to be careful while filling up the online application form. Carefully read the guidelines before filling up the form. Try to avoid any kind of mistake. Otherwise, your application form may get cancelled.
PhD Social Sciences Syllabus
The syllabus of the PhD Social Science course is divided into different topics and domains. Here are some of the compulsory subjects which the PhD Social Sciences students will have to study throughout the duration of their course:
|Philosophy of social science||Theories related to society|
|Research and Fieldwork||Sociological basis of society|
|Thesis/Report preparation||Theories of rights|
Important Books for PhD Social Sciences course
If you wish to complete your PhD with a really good score, then you must study from the best books available for the subjects. Here, we have mentioned some important books for the PhD Social Sciences course:
- Interpersonal Communication: A Mindful Approach to Relationships-Wrench, Punyanunt-Carter, and Thweatt
- Foundations of Social Work Research-Mauldin
- Abnormal Psychology - 1st Edition-Bridley and Daffin Jr.
PhD Social Sciences Top Colleges
Listed below are some of the top-ranked PhD Social Sciences colleges of India:
|NIRF University Ranking 2020||College Name||City||Average Fee||Average Salary|
|2||Jawaharlal Nehru University||New Delhi||INR 1,381||INR 6 LPA|
|3||Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 8,368||INR 10 LPA|
|9||Savitribai Phule Pune University||Pune||INR 20,000||INR 6.5 LPA|
|30||Mahatma Gandhi University||Kerala||INR 28,600||INR 4 LPA|
|34||Tata Institute of Social Sciences||Maharashtra||INR 60,800||INR 15 LPA|
|44||Gujarat University||Gujarat||INR 18,000||INR 6 LPA|
|51||Guru Nanak Dev University||Amritsar||INR 39,010||INR 5 LPA|
|101-150||Central University of Rajasthan||Rajasthan||INR 24,055||INR 10-15 LPA|
|151-200||Mohan Lal Sukhadia University||Udaipur||INR 8,500||INR 2.8 LPA|
PhD Social Sciences College/University Comparison
Given below is a comparison between the top three PhD Social Sciences colleges of India:
|College/ University Name||Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi||Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune|
|Overview||JNU is one of the best colleges of the country which only admits highly meritorious candidates. The university has a lot of advanced courses for the students.||BHU is one of the most sought-after universities both in India as well as abroad. The university is especially known for its social science course.||Savitribai Phule Pune University is a reputed college of India. The university has a total of 66 academic departments.|
|Average Fees||INR 1,381||INR 8,368||INR 20,000|
|Eligibility||Masters in any relevant discipline||Masters in any relevant discipline||Masters in any relevant discipline|
|Admission Process||Entrance test||Entrance test||Entrance test|
|Average CTC||INR 6 LPA||INR 10 LPA||INR 6.5 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Company||Adobe, Amazon, iBM, Maruti Suzuki||Amazon, Flipkart, IBM, Idea||Adobe, IBM, TATA Motors, Deloitte|
Why study PhD Social Sciences?
PhD Social Sciences is a widely sought-after course and provides the students with a lot of career opportunities. Here we have listed a few important reasons regarding why you should study a Phd. in Social Sciences course:
- PhD Social Sciences course covers a wide variety of topics. The students get an in-depth insight into the subject along with various other topics related to the subject.
- This course is mostly based on research activities. The students conduct various research activities throughout the duration of the course.
- The candidates are recruited in different areas like teaching, civil services, social services, policy coordination, public welfare activities, etc.
- The students may acquire the post of social activist, civil servant, NGO activist, child right activist, social researcher, etc.
- The salary received by the PhD Social Sciences candidates is around 3 LPA to 3.5 LPA. The salary will gradually increase with time.
PhD Social Sciences Course Comparison
Here we have compared the PhD Social Sciences and the PhD Psychology course:
PhD Social Sciences vs PhD Psychology
|Parameters||PhD Social Sciences||PhD Psychology|
|Qualification||Doctorate in Social Sciences||Doctorate in Psychology|
|Course Overview||PhD Social Sciences mostly deals with subjects like women empowerment, public welfare, social upliftment, etc.||PhD Psychology focuses on the normal and abnormal functioning of the human brain and human behaviour.|
|Eligibility||Master degree in relevant discipline||Master degree in relevant discipline|
|Admission Process||Direct admission/ entrance test||Direct admission/ entrance test.|
|Average Fee||INR 10,000 to INR 400,000||INR ,000- INR 100,000|
|Average Salary||3 LPA - 3.5 LPA||3.5 LPA - 4 LPA|
|Colleges||IIT-Delhi, IIT-Guwahati, BITS-Pilani, NIT-Rourkela, IIT-Kharagpur||Allahabad University, Banaras Hindu University, Punjab University, Kurukshetra University|
|Recruitment Areas||Teaching, NGOs, public welfare activities, social services.||Healthcare centres, clinics, private counselling centres, colleges and universities.|
|Top Job Profiles||Social worker, social researcher, child right activists, civil servant.||Clinical psychologist, industrial psychologist, educational psychologist, lecturer, etc.|
PhD Social Sciences Scope
PhD Social Sciences students can have a very bright future prospect. So, here are a few ways by means of which the PhD Social Sciences students can build their future:
- Social Science students can look for jobs either in the private or in the government sectors. Few common job areas for the PhD Social Sciences students are public right activities, NGOs and social services.
- The candidates can also apply for government jobs and sit for the civil services examination. However, in order to become a civil servant, the candidate will have to crack an additional examination.
- The PhD Social Sciences students can also build their career in the academic field. They may either get involved in research activities or teach at prestigious educational institutes like schools and colleges.
- Some of the most common job profiles for the PhD Social Sciences students are public right activist, civil servant, researcher, professor, a social worker. Apart from these, various other job options are also available to them.
PhD Social Sciences Jobs
Social Sciences, being a very prosperous course, provides numerous career opportunities to the students. The students may work in various fields and earn quite a handsome salary. Some of the most popular recruiting areas for the PhD Social Sciences students are non-governmental organizations, schools and colleges, social services, civil services, public welfare activities.
The course also provides ample opportunities for the candidates to conduct research activities in various fields related to Social Science. Various government sectors also employ the PhD Social Sciences students. Some of the most common job profiles include civil servant, public right activist, social worker, NGO worker, researcher, etc.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Civil Servant||A civil servant is mainly responsible for implementing various government rules and regulations.||INR 7-8 LPA|
|Social Worker||A social worker works for the benefit of society. He/She is mostly involved with certain welfare organizations.||INR 2.4-2.8 LPA|
|Public Right activist||A public right activist fights against acts of violation like child labour and brings such issues before the government.||INR 2.4-2.6 LPA|
|NGO Worker||The NGO workers work for Non-governmental organizations and conducts different types of public welfare activities.||INR 2-2.2 LPA|
|Researcher||A social researcher carries out critical analysis on topics related to Social Science.||INR 2.6-3 LPA|
PhD Social Sciences FAQ
Ques: Is it possible to do a MD/PhD in the social sciences or humanities?
Ans: Yes, there are numerous excellent institutes in India from where you can pursue a course in Social Science or Humanities.
Ques: What is the point of a PhD in social sciences/humanities?
Ans: Ph.D. in Social Sciences course can give you a very good future prospect. It provides you with a huge range of career opportunities to choose from.
Ques: What is the eligibility criteria for Ph.D. in Social Sciences?
Ans: You need to complete your masters from a recognized university with a minimum of 55% marks.
Ques: What is the minimum duration of the Ph.D. in Social Sciences course?
Ans: The minimum duration of the Ph.D. in Social Sciences course is about 3 years.
Ques: Is the entrance test compulsory for a Ph.D. in Social Sciences admission?
Ans: The entrance test is not required for all colleges. It is only needed for a few institutes like the IITs and NITs.
Ques: Do the IITs provide any kind of financial assistance to the Ph.D. in Social Sciences candidates?
Ans: Yes, you may get a handsome scholarship if you secure a good rank in NET UGC.
Ques: What is the highest package of IIT Delhi for the Ph.D. in Social Science students?
Ans: The highest package is around 15 LPA.
Ques: Which is the best college for Ph.D in Social Sciences in India?
Ans: Some of the best colleges/ universities include:
- Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
Ques: What is the general fee structure for the Ph.D. in Social Sciences students?
Ans: The general fee structure is between INR 10,000 to INR 400,000.
Ques: What is the average CTC for Ph.D. in Social Sciences students?
Ans: The average CTC is around 3-3.5 LPA.
Ques: When are the application forms for the Ph.D. in Social Sciences course generally released?
Ans: The application forms are mostly released in the month of May or June.
Ques: Is the accommodation facility available for the Ph.D. in Social Sciences students?
Ans: Yes, some of the top colleges do offer accommodation facilities to Ph.D. in Social Sciences candidates.