TNEA 2021 (or Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions) is conducted by Anna University every year for admissions to engineering and technology courses in the state of Tamil Nadu. There is no entrance exam conducted for TNEA, the admissions are based on the Merit List generated based on Class 12th scores. TNEA 2021 registration is expected to start from May 2021. Check TNEA 2021 Registration
Through TNEA 2021 students will be eligible for admissions in undergraduate engineering courses like – B.E & B.Tech. For admissions, candidates are required to participate in TNEA Counselling. Candidates who successfully clear the merit list based on their intermediate scores are selected for the admission process.
TNEA Eligibility Criteria states candidates must have secured at least 50% marks in 12th class in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics to be eligible for admissions.
TNEA 2021 Highlights
|TNEA Full Form||Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions|
|Conducting Body||Anna University, Chennai|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Mode of exam||Selection based on Merit list|
|Admission Frequency||Once in a year|
|Application Fee||General- INR 500 Reserved- INR 250|
|Total Seats Offered||9450 (including govt. and private colleges)|
|Applications Per Year||1.4 lakh (approx.)|
|TNEA Helpline||044-22351014 044-22351015|
TNEA 2021 Dates
|Start date of online registration||First week of May 2021|
|Last date of online registration||Last week of May 2021|
|Issue of Random Number||First week of June 2021|
|Commencement of Certificate Verification at all other TFC's||Second week of June 2021|
|Declaration of Rank List||Last week of June 2021|
|Special Counselling||First week of July 2021|
|General Counselling||Second week of July 2021|
TNEA 2021 Courses Offered
Through TNEA Anna University offers various undergraduate courses in engineering like B.E & B.Tech in different specializations including:
- Automobile Engineering
- Biotechnology Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Food Technology
- Chemical Engineering
TNEA 2021 Admission Process
Previously, an examination was conducted for TNEA by Anna University to offer admission to the deserving candidates. However, for the last few years, no entrance examination is conducted for TNEA. Admissions are based on the Merit List generated based on Class 12th scores.
The steps involved in TNEA 2021 Admission Process are listed below:
- Step 1: Interested and eligible candidates need to register themselves and submit their application form.
- Step 2: The university itself scrutinizes the application forms.
- Step 3: The university publishes a merit/rank list after studying all the application forms.
- Step 4: Selected candidates are called for counselling by the university. They need to download their counselling call letter from the official website for TNEA 2021.
- Step 5: Through single window counselling, candidates are offered admission to the various engineering colleges of Tamil Nadu.
Candidates who score well in their 12th board examination have higher chances of getting admission in a right college through TNEA 2021.
TNEA 2021 Eligibility
It is very important for candidates to know all the eligibility criteria before applying for TNEA 2021. Candidates who qualify TNEA 2021 eligibility conditions must proceed to fill the application form.
TNEA Domicile Criteria
According to the Domicile Criteria for TNEA, the following candidates are eligible to register:
- Candidates who are native of Tamil Nadu state and have completed their intermediate (Class 12th) from the state of Tamil Nadu
- Candidates who do not belong to Tamil Nadu state, but have completed their intermediate (Class 12th) education from the state of Tamil Nadu
- Candidates who belong to the state of Tamil Nadu, but have completed their intermediate (Class 12th) education from another state are also eligible to apply but they need to submit a native certificate as a proof to the conducting authority.
- Candidates who are the children of employees working for the central government can also apply for TNEA 2021. However, they need to show the native certificate of their parents or guardians as a proof of who has been serving the state of Tamil Nadu continuously from the last five years.
- Candidates whose parents are All India Service Tamil Nadu Cadre Officers are also eligible to apply for TNEA 2021.
TNEA Academic Qualifications
- Candidates must have passed their intermediate (Class 12th) or equivalent examination from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects
- Minimum marks required for TNEA admissions is 50% in Class 12th
TNEA Age Criteria
- Minimum age of candidates: 18 years
- Maximum age of candidates: 25 years
- As per the TNEA rules, age relaxation provision is present for the reserved category.
TNEA 2021 Application Form
Students will be able to fill TNEA 2021 Application Form online on the official website in the 1st week of May 2021 until the 1st week of June 2021.
How to fill TNEA 2021 Application Form?
The detailed steps to fill and submit TNEA 2021 Application Form are as follows:
- Visit the official website for TNEA.
- Click on the “Online Registration” link.
- Register by creating a login ID and password through OTP verification.
- After successful registration, log in with your username and password.
- Fill personal and academic details that are asked in the application form.
- Verify all the details given in the form by using the preview button.
- Take a printout of the filled application form.
- Submit the application and pay the application fee online using debit card, credit card, net banking or UPI.
|Category||TNEA 2021 Application Fee (in INR)|
Candidates must ensure that the email ID and mobile number they are submitting are active and valid so that the university can communicate with them.
Since no form correction is allowed, candidates must fill their TNEA 2021 Application Form carefully and must check if all the details entered by them are accurate before they finally submit the application form.
Documents Required for TNEA 2021 Registration
Candidates should check the list of documents required for TNEA 2021 Registration:
- Class 10th mark sheet
- Class 12th mark sheet and hall ticket
- Passport size photograph
- Scanned signature
- Income certificate
- Valid email address and mobile number
- Identity proof
- Category certificate etc.
TNEA 2021 Counselling
TNEA 2021 Counselling will be held from the third week of July 2021. Students will be called for the counselling process based on the merit list prepared. The seats will be allotted to the candidates according to the rank and category.
- Students must download their counselling call letter to be eligible to participate in counselling.
- There will be five TNEA 2021 Counselling rounds and students will be required to choose their colleges and courses.
- A counselling fee will be required through cash or demand draft. Also, students have to submit photocopies of their original or required documents for verification.
Candidates who qualify the counselling process will be eligible for taking admission into various TNEA participating colleges in Tamil Nadu. Once the college is allotted, the candidate must report to the college along with the provisional admission offer letter by the Directorate of Technical Education, Chennai. Reporting to the college must be done on time as allotted in the Admission Letter.
Documents Required for TNEA 2021 Counselling
For verification, candidates have to show their original documents during counselling. Documents required during the counselling process are as follows:
- Class 10th and class 12th certificate and mark sheet
- Proof of identity
- Category Certificate (if applicable)
- domicile certificate
- Consultation paper
- Six passport size photos
Choice Filling: Candidates have to fill college options from the institutes given for B.Tech programs in order of their preference.
Seat allocation: The seats are allotted to the candidates on the basis of merit, reservation and choice filling. Subsequently, the candidates have to collect the allocation order. After verifying the allotted college, candidates have to report to the college and enrol before the last date.
TNEA 2021 Merit List
TNEA will release the merit list of TNEA 2021 which contains the names of the students and those students will be eligible to participate in the next counselling process.
A general TNEA 2021 merit list will be published on the official website of TNEA. The TNEA 2021 merit list will be released in the 4th week of June 2021.
TNEA 2021 Cutoff
- Anna University will issue TNEA 2021 cutoffs after completion of the entire application process. The TNEA 2021 cut-off will be available to all participants through online mode only.
- TNEA 2021 Cut Off will be published only on the official website. Candidates who will satisfy the cut off marks released by Anna University will get admission in various professional courses in different colleges only.
- The TNEA 2021 cut-off which will be released on the official website will vary for different campuses. There are cases when students score the same number, the random numbering process is allotted and this will help them to get admission on the basis of marks. The TNEA Random Number will be allocated to the students on the official website.
- The cut off marks are the minimum marks that candidates should get for getting admission in top colleges through TNEA 2021. Anna University issues TNEA cutoff marks after the completion of the application process. The university publishes the cut off marks in online mode. This will depend on many factors such as availability of seats, number of candidates applied, 10 + 2 performance of candidates etc.
- The cut-off trend has not increased much. According to the trend of the year, we can calculate the approximate cut-off of the desired year.
Given below are the tentative cut-off marks (opening and closing) for the year 2021 based on the previous year's data. Candidates can refer to these cut-offs for calculating their chances in the participating colleges of TNEA.
|S.No||B.Tech Programs||Opening cut-off||Closing cut-off|
|4.||Computer Science Engineering||75||200|
|5.||Electrical & Electronics Engineering||80.5||195.50|
|6.||Electronics & Communication Engineering||87.25||198|
TNEA 2021 Reservation for Sports Quota
The sports quota enhances the weightage of sports eminence of the candidates based on achievement in the sports at State, National or International level. Reservation for sports Quota has been increased from 100 to 500.
Given below is the list of sports considered by TNEA 2021 Reservation for Sports Quota
|Motor Sports||Atya Patya|
|Sailing||Billiards and Snooker|
|Squash Rackets||Cycle Polo|
TNEA 2021 Participating Colleges
Anna University releases the list of TNEA 2021 Participating Institutes. There are more than 500 colleges under Anna University. During the counselling process, candidates may choose among all the colleges which are offering the undergraduate program through TNEA 2021. Allotment of the participating institutes will be done based on various criteria like candidate’s merit, category, and preferences.
TNEA 2021 FAQs
Ques. What will be the basis for admission to the TNEA General category?
Ans. Candidates will be selected on the basis of the intermediate score for admission, marks obtained in the prescribed subjects (Mathematics – 100, Physics +Chemistry – 100) reduced to 200 in the qualifying exam.
Ques. When will TNEA 2021 random number rank list be released?
Ans. TNEA rank list will be released on the official website as well sent to the registered mobile number and email id after the application process is completed.
Ques. Can I buy TNEA Application Forms from its participating institutes?
Ans. No, you cannot get the application form from any institutes of TNEA. TNEA application form is available online for all candidates. You can also visit the TNEA facility centres to fill the application form.
Ques. Are other state students eligible to apply for TNEA Counselling?
Ans. Yes, other state candidates who have studied their VIII-XII in Tamil Nadu are eligible to apply. Such candidates need not produce a Nativity Certificate as proof.
Ques. Which web browsers support the online TNEA application form?
Ans. It is advised to use fully updated Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Also if you are using Internet Explorer you must use version 9 or above fully updated.
Ques. On what basis will TNEA 2021 merit list be published?
Ans. The merit list will be prepared on the basis of the total marks of 200. It will be made on the basis of 12th marks.
Ques. What are the Sandwich Courses offered in BTech for admission through TNEA?
Ans. In BTech, sandwich courses in Production Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering are offered at PSG College of Technology under self-financing scheme.
Ques. What is the programme duration for BE/BTech courses?
Ans. The duration of the programme is 4 years consisting of 8 semesters.
Ques. I am from outside Tamil Nadu. Can I apply under TNEA Special Reservation?
Ans. Candidates must note that only Tamil Nadu native candidates are eligible for Special Reservation in TNEA 2021.
Ques. I have scored 95% marks in my 10+2 examination, will I get the college and branch of my choice?
Ans: It is not certain, the allotment of the seat depends upon the availability of seats in the course and the rank of the candidate. However, candidates with good scores in their 10+2 examination will be given priority while allotment of the seats in TNEA 2021.
Ques. What is the counselling fee for TNEA 2021?
Ans: Candidates will have to pay the initial deposit of INR 5000(INR 1000 for SC/SCA/ST candidates belonging to Tamil Nadu) as the counselling fee, it can be paid either online or at the facilitation centre.
Ques. What are the documents that need to be verified in TNEA 2021 Counselling process?
Ans: The following original documents have to be verified in the TNEA counselling process:
- Class 10th and 12th Mark Sheet
- Class 10th and 12th Passing Certificate
- Category Certificate (if applicable)
- Domicile Certificate
- Identity proof
- Six passport size photograph
Ques. I did not confirm my seat in the second round of TNEA counselling. Would I be eligible for the third round of counselling?
Ans: Yes, you will be eligible for the third round of TNEA 2021 counselling. However, there is no guarantee that you will get the same college and course again. You will still have to fill in and lock your choices to secure the seat.
Ques. What is the procedure after TNEA 2021 counselling is over?
Ans: After the end of TNEA counselling, the candidate will have to report to the allotted institution along with the allotment letter & documents to complete the admission process. Candidates will also have to pay the course fee and complete other formalities.
Ques. What are TNEA Facilitation centres?
Ans: TNEA Facilitation centres will be opened across the 32 districts of Tamil Nadu to assist the students in attending TNEA 2021 online counselling, get the application form, and remission of fees. 44 The conducting authority will open TNEA facilitation centres along with the release of TNEA 2021 Application form.
Ques. What is the minimum qualification to appear for TNEA Admission process?
Ans: Candidates have to pass their 10+2 or equivalent examination with PCM as compulsory subjects from a recognised board. Candidates must also secure a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate (General Category), 45% marks (OBC Category) & 40% marks (MBC, DNC, SC, ST & SCA Category).
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.