What is BTech Bioprocess Technology?
B.Tech Bioprocess Technology is a 4-year long undergraduate level biotechnology degree program. The course offers in-depth skills and knowledge on the fundamentals of bioprocess research, its importance and application in the relevant industries.
Candidates who wish to pursue B.Tech Bioprocess Technology course should have passed their 10+2 level from a recognized educational board or council with Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry/ Biology/Biotechnology as compulsory subjects.
Even they should have studied English as a compulsory subject. They have to obtain a minimum aggregate score of 50% at their higher secondary level.
Admission to this course is generally done on the basis of the scores obtained at the national-level, state-level or university-level entrance examinations. Some of the most common and popular B.Tech Bioprocess Technology entrance exams are JEE Main, JEE Advanced, SRMJEE, WBJEE, LPU NEST etc.
The average tuition fee charged for B.Tech Bioprocess Technology ranges from INR 1,00,000 to 10,00,000, depending on the institute of your choice.
Some of the top B.Tech Bioprocess Technology colleges in India:
|NIRF Rank 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Course Fee||Average Annual Salary|
|41||SRM University, Tamil Nadu||SRMJEEE/ JEE Main||INR 2,17,500||INR 5,00,000|
|26||Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai University, Maharashtra||JEE Main||INR 1,78,000||INR 5,75,000|
|56||Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences, Uttar Pradesh||Entrance Exam Based||INR 60,000||INR 3,00,000|
|95||Singhania University, Rajasthan||Entrance Exam Based||INR 40,000||INR 4,50,000|
After completing this course successfully, the graduates can get plenty of prospective career and job opportunities. They get employment opportunities in educational institutes, research labs, Pharmaceutical Companies, Chemical Factories, Food & Diagnostics Companies etc.
They are hired as a Bioprocess Technologist, Bioprocess Engineer, Biofuel Technician, Cell Culture Technician, Manufacturing Technician- Downstream and Upstream, Bioprocess Sales Specialist etc.
The freshers can easily earn an average starting salary typically ranging between INR 2,00,000 to 12,00,000 per annum. This salary will be increased on the basis of their skills, expertise and job roles in the related field.
What is the BTech Bioprocess Technology Admission Process?
Admission to B.Tech Bioprocess Technology course is done on the basis of the scores obtained in the entrance exams. Some most common and popular national-level or state-level entrance exams applicable for this course study are JEE Main, JEE Advanced, WBJEE etc. However, some top-most private colleges or universities also conduct their own set of entrance exams.
Few colleges also offer direct admission to this course on the basis of candidates’ merit. Candidates can apply through both online as well as offline mode.
- For the merit-based admission process, the candidates have to score minimum 80% in aggregate so that they can easily clear the cut-off rank set up by the college admission committee.
- Fill up the application form carefully. After releasing the merit lists, the shortlisted candidates are called for a personal interview round where the college committee will check their basic aptitude and skills required of this course study and choose the right one.
- The selected candidates then need to submit all required documents and course fee to the respective colleges.
How to Apply?
The step-by-step guidance for entrance exam-based admission is as follows:
- Students have to register to the official website of the respective colleges by creating a unique account by using some of their basic personal details, like email id, phone number etc.
- Fill the application form with all necessary details. Be careful about the details, it should be correct and accurate, otherwise your application will be rejected.
- Scan and upload all requisite documents like mark sheets, certificates, signature, photographs, caste certificate (if required), into the specific format as mentioned on the online application portal.
- Pay the requisite application fee either online or offline.
- After reviewing all applicants’, admit cards will be released for the eligible candidates. Download it and get a printed copy required to be used on the date of examination.
- Within a couple of weeks, the exam results will be announced. The qualified candidates need to appear for the next round, central counselling session, where the students are able to choose the college of their own choice as per their availability.
- Now the final admission will be done after verifying your documents and depositing the admission fee to secure your seat.
|B.Tech Colleges in TAMIL NADU||B.Tech Colleges in RAJASTHAN||B.Tech Colleges in UTTAR PRADESH||B.Tech Colleges in HARYANA|
What is the BTech Bioprocess Technology Eligibility Criteria?
Mentioned below some of the mandatory B.Tech Bioprocess Technology course eligibility criteria that the aspirants should fulfill to get successful admission to this course study:
- The candidates must have passed 10+2 level from a recognized educational board with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects and any one out of Chemistry/ Biology/ Biotechnology/ Computer or any other technical subjects.
- They must have secured minimum 50% aggregate marks at the 10+2 level.
- SC/ST/OBC candidates are eligible to avail 50% relaxation in the aggregate score.
- Few colleges or universities also allow English as one of the compulsory subjects.
- The aspiring candidates need to submit their JEE Mains or any other equivalent entrance exam score during the course admission.
What are the BTech Bioprocess Technology Entrance Exams?
BTech Bioprocess Technology course admission widely depends on the scores obtained at the national-level, state-level entrance exams. Some of the reputed colleges or universities also conduct their own set of entrance examinations to select the most eligible candidates for this course study.
Tabulated below some most common and popular B.Tech Bioprocess Technology entrance exams along with mode of examination, exam conducting body, application period, and exam date:
|Entrance Exam||Exam Mode||Conducting Body||Application Period||Exam Date|
|JEE Main||Online||National Testing Agency||December 16, 2020-January16, 2021||February 23-26, March 15-18, April 27-30 and May 24-28, 2021|
|JEE Advanced||Online||Indian Institute of Technology||4th week of May-1st week of June, 2021||July 3, 2021|
|SRMJEEE||Online||SRM University||December 12-March 31, 2021||April 2021|
|LPU NEST||Online||Lovely Professional University||1st week of January-February 26, 2021||February 27-March 6, 2021|
How to Prepare for B.Tech Bioprocess Technology Entrance Exams?
Most of the B.Tech Bioprocess Technology colleges allow admission to this course on the basis of the entrance exam score. So, be well-prepared for the exam and score well to clear the cut-off rank.
Mentioned below some most important tips which you need to keep in mind while preparing for the entrance examination:
- First you should have a clear understanding of the entrance exam syllabus. The syllabus may change every year. So, it is essential to download the exam syllabus before starting the preparation.
- Most of the B.Tech Entrance exam consists of MCQ type questions on Physics, Chemistry/ Biology, Mathematics and English and the duration of the exam will be 3 hours in most cases. So, it is important to learn some tricky way to solve the questions quickly.
- You should give equal importance to each and every subject while preparing for the entrance exam. But it will be wiser to start the preparation first from the easiest section.
- Remember to no down important points, formulas in a separate notebook while preparing. It will be helpful for you in quick revision.
- Aspirants should appear for at least 20-25 mock tests before appearing for the entrance exam. It will help you by enhancing your confidence level.
- Solving previous years’ question papers and sample question sets will be the best option to crack any entrance exam.
How to Get Admission into Good BTech Bioprocess Technology Colleges?
To get admission into a good B.Tech Bioprocess Technology college, it is essential to follow the below mentioned pointers carefully:
- Most of the colleges allow admission to this course on the basis of entrance exam score followed by the personal interview round. The candidates have to appear for the national-level or state-level or university-level entrance exam and perform well to secure their seat.
- Start preparing for the entrance exam 1 year before appearing for the examination.
- Perform well at the group discussion or personal interview round where their basic aptitude and skills required for this course study is being checked.
- Some colleges or universities offer direct admission to the students on the basis of merit list. In that case, the candidates need to score minimum 80% or higher in aggregate at the higher secondary level in Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry or Biology/ Biotechnology/ Computer etc.
- Besides these, few private engineering colleges also offer management quota reserved seats with generally higher fee structure.
- Always remember to fill up the application form carefully and accurately with all required details and submit the form before the deadline, otherwise your application will be rejected.
- Go through the official website of the respective colleges and check out their course curriculum. Stay updated with the latest details of application form submission, admission process etc.
- You should have a clear idea about the last year placement package offered to the students by the top recruiting companies visited there.
BTech Bioprocess Technology: What is it About?
B.Tech Bioprocess Technology is a 4-year long undergraduate Biotechnology course that offers theoretical as well as practical approach on biological science and technology process.
- The course helps the students to learn about how to produce biofuel and develop enzymes for healthy food, even you can know the procedure to convert the waste into energy.
- The course aims to combine modern molecular biology, advanced modelling and fundamental chemical engineering principles to design bioprocesses for wide application in the field of biotechnology.
- The course basically focused on the areas related to food industry, pharmaceutical industry, petrochemical industry, waste treatment, pollution control, metallurgical processing etc.
- Some of the core B.Tech Bioprocess Technology subjects are Biophysics, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Enzymology, Immunology, Plant Biotechnology, Bioprocess Engineering, Microbial Genetics etc.
BTech Bioprocess Technology: Course Highlights
Major highlights of B.Tech Bioprocess Technology course study are mentioned in the following table:
|Exam Type||Semester Type|
|Eligibility Criteria||Pass 10+2 level with Physics, Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with minimum 50% aggregate score from a recognized board|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam + Counselling/ Merit Based|
|Course Fee||INR 1,00,000-10,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2,00,000-12,00,000 per annum|
|Job Roles||Bioprocess Technologist, Bioprocess Engineer, Biofuel Technician, Cell Culture Technician, Manufacturing Technician- Downstream and Upstream, Bioprocess Sales Specialist etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Pharmaceutical Companies, Chemical Factories, Food & Diagnostics Companies, Research Labs, Colleges and Universities etc.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||GE Healthcare, Anthem Biosciences, Bionity, Amgen, Biocon, Panacea Biotec, Biozeen, Genentech, Wockhardt etc.|
Why Study BTech Bioprocess Technology?
B.Tech Bioprocess Technology is an interdisciplinary course that combines the study of biological sciences and engineering technologies to manipulate biological systems or living organisms and produce products and processes for advanced healthcare, medicine, agriculture, pharmaceuticals etc.
- They can find potential job roles like Bioprocess Technologist, Bioprocess Engineer, Biofuel Technician, Cell Culture Technician, Manufacturing Technician- Downstream and Upstream, Bioprocess Sales Specialist etc. in major industries such as Pharmaceutical Companies, Chemical Factories, Food & Diagnostics Companies and more.
- Besides these, they can also join as a lecturer/ teacher in any reputed educational institutes or colleges in India.
- They can also make research study on the relevant topics in various research laboratories across the country.
- Some of the major recruiting companies of such graduates are GE Healthcare, Anthem Biosciences, Bionity, Amgen, Biocon, Panacea Biotec, Biozeen, Genentech, Wockhardt etc.
- On completion of this course study, the graduates are able to get handsome salary packages typically ranging between INR 2,00,000 to 12,00,000 per annum depending on their skills and expertise in the related field.
- Apart from seeking jobs, they can opt for further pursuing M.Tech, M.Sc., MBA courses upon successful completion of this course.
Course Comparison: BTech Bioprocess Technology Vs. BTech Biotechnology
Both B.Tech Bioprocess Technology and B.Tech Biotechnology courses are focused on both academic and practical knowledge on biological process and technologies. Mentioned below the comparison on both these courses highlighting the common important parameters:
Check out the top-most B.Tech Biotechnology Colleges in India
|Parameters||B.Tech Bioprocess Technology||B.Tech Biotechnology|
|Full form||Bachelor of Technology in Bioprocess Technology||Bachelor of Technology in Biotechnology|
|Duration||4 years||4 years|
|Eligibility||Passed 10+2 level with Physics, Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with minimum 50% aggregate score from a recognized board||10+2 level in Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology from a recognized board with minimum 60% aggregate score|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam + Counselling, Direct admission in few cases||Entrance Exam Based|
|Course Fee||INR 1,00,000-10,00,000||INR 1,20,000-10,50,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2,00,000-12,00,000||INR 5,00,000-8,00,000|
|Top Colleges||SRM University, Singhania University, Institute of Chemical Technology, Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences etc.||IIT Delhi, IIT Kharagpur, NIT Rourkela, Delhi Technological University, Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology etc.|
|Job Roles||Bioprocess Technologist, Bioprocess Engineer, Biofuel Technician, Cell Culture Technician, Manufacturing Technician- Downstream and Upstream, Bioprocess Sales Specialist etc.||Pharmacist, Medical Writing Executive, Production Manager, Clinical Researcher, Lab Technician, Microbiologists, Medical Representatives etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Pharmaceutical Companies, Chemical Factories, Food & Diagnostics Companies, Research Labs, Colleges and Universities etc.||Pharmaceutical firms, Agricultural Companies, Specialized Biotechnology companies, Food Manufacturing companies etc.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||GE Healthcare, Anthem Biosciences, Bionity, Amgen, Biocon, Panacea Biotec, Biozeen, Genentech, Wockhardt etc.||Ranbaxy, Indian Immunologicals Ltd, InfoSys Limited, Bharat Biotech, Serum Institute of India Ltd etc.|
Which are the Top BTech Bioprocess Technology Colleges in India?
Listed below the top-most colleges that offer B.Tech Bioprocess Technology course study across India:
|NIRF Rank 2020||College Name||Course Fee||Average Annual Salary|
|41||SRM University||INR 2,17,500||INR 5,00,000|
|26||Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai University||INR 1,78,000||INR 5,75,000|
|56||Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences||INR 60,000||INR 3,00,000|
|95||Singhania University||INR 40,000||INR 4,50,000|
BTech Bioprocess Technology: College Comparison
The below-mentioned table depicts the basic comparison among the top three B.Tech Bioprocess Technology colleges in India based on some major important parameters:
|College Name||SRM University||Singhania University||Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai University|
|NIRF Rank 2020||41||95||26|
|Overview||It is one of the top-ranking universities in India, famous for offering a wide range of UG, PG and Doctoral Programs in Engineering, Management, Medicine, Health Sciences, Science and Humanities.||It is an UGC and AICTE approved private university. The institute offers UG, PG, Diploma, Certificate and Doctoral courses in various disciplines.||It is an UGC recognized Deemed to be University established in 1933. The college offers UG, PG and PhD courses in various disciplines.|
|Eligibility Criteria||Pass 10+2 level or equivalent with minimum 65% aggregate score in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology||Having 50% aggregate at 10+2 level with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics or Biology from a recognized board||Must pass 10+2 level with minimum 50% aggregate in English, Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry/ Biology/ Biotechnology or any other technical Vocational Subject|
|Admission Process||JEE Main/ SRMJEEE||Entrance Exam conducted by the University||JEE Main|
|Course Fee||INR 2,17,500||INR 40,000||INR 1,78,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,00,000||INR 4,50,000||INR 5,75,000|
What is the BTech Bioprocess Technology Syllabus?
B.Tech Bioprocess Technology is a 4-years duration undergraduate degree course that comprises 8 semesters. The semester-wise breakup of this course syllabus is tabulated in the following:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Workshop Practice & Technology||Engineering Graphics|
|Organic Chemistry||Technical Mathematics|
|Inorganic Chemistry||Computer and Languages|
|Moral and Value Education||Physical Chemistry|
|Life Science-I (Botany)||Biochemistry|
|Environmental Studies-I||Life Science-II (Zoology)|
|Elementary Mathematics or Elementary Biology||Environmental Studies|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Fluid Mechanics & Transport Process||Introduction to Heat & Mass Transfer|
|Technical Mathematics-II||Electrical Engineering|
|Statistical Methods||Foundation of Information Technology|
|Analytical Chemistry||Chemical Thermodynamics|
|Biochemistry-II||Enzymology & Enzyme Technology|
|Basics Molecular Genetics||Molecular Biology Techniques & Instrumentation|
|Introductory Biotechnology||Introduction to Plant Biotechnology|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Electronic Measurement & Instrumentation||Marketing & Management of Biotechnology Products|
|Concepts of Bioinformatics||Concepts of In Vitro Culture|
|Chemical Engineering||Introduction to Animal Biotechnology|
|Professional Communication & Technical Writing||Biosafety, Bioethics & IPR Issues|
|Basic Immunology||Biochemical Engineering (BT)|
|Introduction to Environmental Biotechnology||Seminar-I|
|Principles of Microbial Genetics||-|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Bioprocess Engineering & Downstream Processing||Project (GE/MT/BT)|
|Immunology: Vaccine and Transplantation Technology||-|
|Immunology: Vaccine and Transplantation Technology||-|
|Immunology: Vaccine and Transplantation Technology||-|
Which are the BTech Bioprocess Technology Recommended Books?
Listed below the most recommended books for B.Tech Bioprocess Technology Course study that helps the students to get broad understanding on this course:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Bioprocess Technology||P T Kalaiselvan, I Arul Pandi|
|Handbook of Food and Bioprocess Modeling Techniques||Shyam S. Sablani, Ashim K. Datta|
|Product Recovery in Bioprocess Technology||Biotol|
|Bioprocess Engineering||Michael L. Shuler|
What is the BTech Bioprocess Technology Jobs Profiles?
After successful completion of B.Tech Bioprocess Technology course study, the students will get plenty of prospective career and job opportunities. They are basically involved with the research, development, innovation and manufacturing biomaterials, like Vaccines, enzymes, antibiotics, food and agricultural products, pharmaceutical supplements etc.
Besides these, they are directly involved with the manufacturing, monitoring, operating different equipment that helps in preparing fermentation media or reagents. They actually work in process development, manufacturing operation control, project management, food technology, environmental remediation, therapeutic stem cell development, vaccine development, biofuel production etc.
They are being employed in major industries like Pharmaceutical Companies, Chemical Factories, Food & Diagnostics Companies, Research Labs, Colleges and Universities etc.
Some of the major job profiles are mentioned in the following along with relevant job description and average annual salary:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Bioprocess Technologist/ Biotechnologist/ Bioprocess Technician||Their main responsibility is operating equipment, measuring chemicals and formulating complex products etc. They have to deal with various research and development work for innovating novel and safe products. They also work as a fermentation technologist for product and process development work.||INR 5,77,204|
|Bioprocess Engineer||Their responsibility is to organize, run, sustain and improve the plant's manufacturing procedure. They actually work on the manufacturing floor to develop and produce products, troubleshooting equipment, process improvement, error proof the process, investigate the deviations etc.||INR 3,00,000|
|Biofuel Technicians||They have to carry out different laboratory and research works involved in producing biofuels, like ethanol, biodiesel etc. They have to work with fermenters, distillation, grain proportion, algae culture, oil chemistry and separation technology.||INR 5,72,921|
|Cell Culture Technician||The main responsibility of a cell culture technician is to grow living cells (comes from plants or animals) in culture flasks, bioreactors, plates etc. They also start culturing from tissues like umbilical cords or tumor biopsies.||INR 4,80,000|
|Manufacturing Technician- Downstream and Upstream||They have to deal with upstream or downstream processes of bioprocess technology. In downstream processes, products are harvested, tested, purified and packaged, whereas in upstream processes, the biological materials are obtained from an outside source or inoculated and grown in the culture, under controlled situations for manufacturing products.||INR 5,06,654|
What is the BTech Bioprocess Technology Future Scope?
After completion of B.Tech Bioprocess Technology course, the graduates can prefer to do jobs or can go for further higher studies.
- M.Sc. or M.Tech: If the student wishes to continue in the same field of education, the students can opt for M.Sc. Biotechnology or M.Tech Bioprocess Technology course study. Both courses are 2-year postgraduate degree programs specialized in Biological Sciences and Process Technology.
- MBA: Most of the engineering graduates opt for managerial route can choose pursuing MBA and PGDM course, focused on different aspects of management and business industry. It is another 2-year postgraduate degree course and admission to this course widely depends on national-level entrance exams.
- Such graduates can opt for appearing competitive examinations meant for availing high-paid government sector job opportunities.
BTech Bioprocess Technology: FAQs
Ques. What is the duration of B.Tech Bioprocess Technology course study?
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria to pursue this course?
Ques. What is the admission procedure of B.Tech Bioprocess Technology?
Ques. What is the average course fee required for studying this course?
Ques. Which are the top B.Tech Bioprocess Technology colleges in India?
- SRM University, Tamil Nadu
- Singhania University, Rajasthan
- Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences, Uttar Pradesh
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai University, Maharashtra etc.
Ques. Which are the common sectors for B.Tech Bioprocess Technology course students?
Ques. What are the top recruiters after B.Tech Bioprocess Technology course?
Ques. What is the average starting salary of B.Tech Bioprocess Technology course graduates?