Master of Philosophy (MPhil) in management studies, is a one year post-graduation course in the management field. MPhil in Management Studies educates the aspirants to prepare for managing these important sectors.
The course is an intermediate Degree between the first Post-Graduate Degree and the Doctorate Degree. MPhil in Management Studies course educates the students to learn the inner aspect of business and manage resources to produce the best output with the most efficiency.
Aspirants who have scored at least 55% of marks in Master's degree in their respective field are eligible for this course. The students who have qualified CA/ ICWA/ ACS are also eligible for this course.
The admission process is based on the candidates performance in the entrance exams followed by the personal interview. The average annual fees ranges between INR 20,000 to 2,00,000 depending on which college they choose.
After the successful graduation in MPhil in Management Studies, graduates will have numerous job opportunities like the job positions as manager, economist, consultant, human resource management, finance analyst, etc. The graduates can even opt for higher education or attend campus recruitment processes related to the management field with INR 5 to 7 LPA average salary.
MPhil in Management Studies Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate and Pre doctorate or Diploma|
|Full-Form||Master of Philosophy in Management|
|Eligibility||Second class in Master's degree in respective subjects and at least 55% score in post-graduation|
|Admission Process||Aptitude based entrance exam followed by Viva voice and personal interview.|
|Course Fee||Varies from INR 20,000 to INR 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 5,00,000 to INR 6,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Private firms, Public sectors, corporate enterprises and academic corporations|
|Job Positions||Economist, consultant in management, financial analyst, human resource management, professors or researchers|
MPhil in Management Studies Eligibility
- The aspirants should have passed in second class in Master's course in a related subject.
- The students need to score at least 55% from a well recognized college or university in a related subject.
- The students who have qualified in exams like CA or ICWA or ACS are also eligible.
MPhil in Management Studies Admission Process
Students are required to apply for various universities offering the MPhil in Management Studies course. Each college has separate methods for conducting the exams and selection process. All the entrance exams are based on general aptitude, subjective questions and the students who score the minimum cutoff will have to attend an interview.
The registration and scheduling of entrance exams varies depending upon each state government or university which conducts the exam. So students are advised to visit the official website of the entrance exams. Based on the score obtained in the entrance test, a final merit list of qualified students will be prepared.
MPhil in Management Studies Entrance Based Admission
- Visit the official website of the entrance exams you want to apply for.
- Fill the application form and upload all the required documents.
- Pay the registration fees and save the confirmation page for future reference.
- Only qualified candidates will be eligible for the interview round.
- After final selection, candidates can pay the tuition fee to complete the admission process.
MPhil in Management Studies: Top Colleges
Some of the top MPhil Management Studies colleges are listed below along with their respective admission process and annual fees.
|College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|Karunya School of Management, Karunya University - [KSM]||Merit based and entrance based||INR 41,000|
|RKDF University||Merit and Entrance based||INR 90,000|
|Monad University||Merit and Entrance based||INR 24,500|
|DY Patil University||Entrance based||—|
|Jamal Mohamed College||Entrance based||INR 17,200|
|CMJ University||Entrance based||INR 1,45,000|
|CU Shah University||Entrance based||INR 58,500|
|MATS School of Management and Studies||Entrance based||INR 75,000|
How to Get Admission in a Good College?
- MPhil in Management Studies is a Postgraduate level course where students have to perform research on their respective subjects. Some good colleges offering the course are Jawaharlal Nehru University, Jamia Millia Islamia, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Pondicherry University etc.
- All the above mentioned colleges conduct entrance exams on their own. So students need to check the exam dates and patterns.
- Students aspiring to join a good college for MPhil need to have great interest and knowledge for their respective subjects.
- They should also possess a few basic skills like reasoning ability, analytical ability, good observation, knowledge of research, organisation skill, motivation, dedication and good aptitude.
Why this Particular Course?
- Students often like to go for a Masters in Philosophy instead of studying PhD. MPhil is a one year course in some universities.
- In many countries, MPhil includes rigorous research and curriculum in the respective fields. This acts as a prerequisite for a PhD course. For some subjects (humanities, for example), MPhil is considered the highest level in a Master's degree.
- If any student does not have the financial capability to offord PhD but wants to pursue a research oriented program, then MPhil in Management Studies is the best option.
- Some students have a personal interest in research, and they can get trained by professionals for research by undertaking a Masters in Philosophy.
- Some universities encourage the students to take a Masters in Philosophy before going for a PhD. Based on their performance, those students will be promoted to pursue a doctorate.
- Students who are facing problems in their research like research is not going well, or requires more resources, then MPhil is the best one. This is because it trains students to develop their soft skills, problem solving ability, verbal and written communication ability, presentation skill, analytical and critical thinking ability.
- After the successful completion of the course, students will be hired by top enterprises to work in positions like researcher, professor, manager, analysts and many more honourable designations.
MPhil in Management Studies: Course Advantages
Through MPhil in Management Studies, students are given rigorous training to gain knowledge on every aspect of different sectors from a managerial perspective.
- Their skills will be improved to analyse symmetrically for finding any efficient solution to a problem in the respective sector.
- By the end of the course, students will be ready to take on any problem, finding the root of the trouble and speculating an effective measure.
- That's why almost every type of enterprise wants them in at their workplace.
- Apart from the regular subjects of MPhil course, this learning program also prioritises computer, communication, and pedagogical ability.
- These things prepare the students so that they will be able to act independently, guiding them to become independent researchers and economists.
MPhil in Management Studies: Course Comparison
|MPhil (Masters of Philosophy) is a preliminary step before a research program.||PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) is the ultimate degree for any research aspirant.|
|Duration of MPhi course is 1 - 2 years.||Duration of PhD course ranges from 3 - 5 years.|
|Studied after post graduation and before doctorate courses.||Studied after post graduation courses.|
|MPhil (Master of Philosophy) is mainly a research-oriented course.||MSc (Master of Science) is more of a theory-oriented program.|
|Duration of MPhi course is 1 - 2 years.||Duration of MSc course is 2 years.|
|Students have to focus on mastering one particular subject.||Students have to study diverse topics related to the subject.|
|Post graduation course and studied after the completion of graduation.||Post graduation course and studied after the completion of graduation.|
|MPhil (Masters of Philosophy) is a preliminary level research-oriented course.||MBA (Masters of Business Administration) can be studied only after graduation or post-graduation.|
|Students need to perform rigorous research work on the respective subject.||Students have to focus only on the course work.|
|Duration of MPhi course is 1 - 2 years.||Duration of the MBA course is 2 years.|
|Students gain in-depth knowledge on their respective subjects and are even able to teach others.||Students gain enough knowledge to manage resources in corporate firms.|
MPhil in Management Studies Distance Education
- MPhil in management studies involves intense training to be knowledgeable to perform research work on respective subjects. So sometimes, it's not recommended to opt for a distant learning or part-time course for the Master of Philosophy program.
- If some unavoidable circumstances lead to undertaking a Master of Philosophy in Management Studies as a distant learning course, then here is the list of some colleges which offer distance learning for MPhil courses.
|Acharya Nagarjuna University||Andhra Pradesh||Guntur|
|Dr. B R Ambedkar Open University||Andhra Pradesh||Hyderabad|
|E F L University||Andhra Pradesh||Hyderabad|
|Himachal Pradesh University||Himachal Pradesh||Shimla|
|Karnataka State Open University||Karnataka||Mysore|
|Mother Teresa Women's University||Tamil Nadu||Dindigul|
|Netaji Subhas Open University||West Bengal||Kolkata|
|University of Madras||Tamil Nadu||Chennai|
MPhil in Management Studies Syllabus
|Research Methodology||Financial markets and derivatives|
|Strategic Management||Advanced marketing management|
|Advances in Management||International human resource management|
|Semester II||Latest trends in OB and HRM|
MPhil in Management Studies Books
|Name of the book||Author|
|Macro Economics, Theory and Application||G.S. Gupta|
|Managerial Economics, Theory and Application||Mithani D M|
|Managerial Economics, an Integrative Approach||Mark Hischey|
|Introduction to Organisational Behaviour||Moorhead and Griffin|
|Organizational Behaviour||Meenakshi and Arun Kumar|
|Essentials of Human Resource Management||P S Rao|
|Human Resource Management||D K Tripathi|
|Financial Institutions||Edminster R D|
|Financial Institutions and Markets||Meir Khan|
|Fundamentals of Marketing||William J Stanton|
|Marketing Management||Arun Kumar and Meenakshi|
|Operation Research- Theory and Applications||J K Sharma|
|Operation Research||Anand Sharma|
MPhil in Management Studies Job Prospects and Career Options
The Master of Philosophy course educates the students how to perform research work, how to gain critical thinking, problem solving, positive aptitude abilities to work as individual advisors and contribute to development of any sector.
- After achieving the degree of Master of Philosophy in management, students can opt for further studies like PhD in Philosophy. After successfully completing the research, they can appear for national level exams to work as assistant professor in universities and colleges.
- If the students want to work as Freshers, they can work in areas like Social and Health sector, public sector, social personal or community service, administration, research center, academic sector etc.
- Graduates can take up various job roles like ethics advisor, social worker, teacher or professor, administrator, interviewer and many more after graduation.
MPhil in Management Studies Job Profiles with Description
A few of the numerous job profiles are listed below along with the respective average annual salary.
|Job Profiles||Average Annual Salary|
|Economist||INR 7 to 15 LPA|
|Management Consultant||INR 8 to 15 LPA|
|Human Resource Manager||INR 4 to 7 LPA|
|Finance Analyst||INR 3 to 6 LPA|
|Academic Processor||INR 3 to 6 LPA|
|Researcher||INR 5 to 8 LPA|
MPhil in Management Studies Future Scope
Graduates who successfully completed the Master of Philosophy course have a vast range of scopes available in research, academic, private and government sectors.
- In government sectors, MPhil Freshers are invited to work as professors and teachers in school colleges operated by the government. Many government research companies also hire them as an analyst or advisor.
- MPhil graduates are hired as professors for private colleges, advisors or consultants or managers in private companies in private sectors.
- Graduates can also attend a specialisation course after Masters of Philosophy, they can undertake Moral Philosophy, Aesthetics, History of Modern Philosophy and perform advanced research in these fields.
MPhil in Management Studies FAQs
Ques. What is the duration of MPhil in Management Studies course?
Ans. MPhil in Management Studies is a full time course with a duration of 1 year.
Ques. When will the admission process of MPhil in Management Studies start?
Ans. The admission process of MPhil in Management Studies starts usually in the month of October and February.
Ques. Is part time work allowed while pursuing MPhil in Management Studies?
Ans. Part-time jobs are not allowed in full-time MPhil in Management Studies.
Ques. What are required for the admission in MPhil in Management Studies?
Ans. For a full time MPhil in Management Studies course, you need to complete the master’s course in a relevant subject.
Ques. Is work experience required for MPhil in Management Studies?
Ans. Work experience is not mandatory but students with previous experience are also welcome for the MPhil in Management Studies.
Ques. How to get admission for an MPhil in Management Studies course?
Ans. Fill-up the admission form for MPhil in Management Studies in your interested renowned colleges, appear for their entrance exams, score good marks and get admission.
Ques. Is the MPhil in Management Studies course difficult to study?
Ans. If a candidate is good in the particular subject in undergraduate level, then MPhil in Management Studies is not too difficult.
Ques. Is an MPhil course mandatory for PhD?
Ans. An MPhil course is not mandatory before going to PhD. However one can pursue PhD which is higher level than MPhil after completing it.
Ques. How to become a professor after completing MPhil in Management Studies?
Ans. You have to appear for the SET or NET exam and qualify to teach in a UGC approved university or college. However, MPhil is not mandatory to appear for these national level exams.
Ques. Can I switch to PhD from MPhil?
Ans. Yes you can after scoring high performance in MPhil where MPhil and PhD Integrated courses are taught.