Bachelor of Design in Fashion Design (BDes Fashion Design) is one of the most popular undergraduate fashion designing courses.
BDes Fashion Design covers all the aspects of fashion designing like Computer and Manual Designing, Textile Science, Pattern Designing, Merchandise Marketing, etc in complete detail starting from the very basic level.
To be eligible for BDes Fashion Design course, a candidate must complete 10+2 in any discipline from a recognized board. The candidates should attain a minimum aggregate score of 50% at their 10+2 level, though it may vary depending on the college.
Most of the colleges offer admission to BDes Fashion Design course on the basis of merit, but some colleges like MAHE conduct their own entrance exam. For Admission to National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), a candidate must qualify the entrance exam conducted by the university.
Some of the top colleges offering this course are listed in the table below.
|College Name||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Salary|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi||INR 2,70,900||INR 4,50,000|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bengaluru||INR 2,58,400||INR 4,50,000|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology, Chennai||INR 2,70,900||INR 4,30,000|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology, Patna||INR 2,70,900||INR 4,50,000|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology, Gandhinagar||INR 2,70,000||INR 4,30,000|
The average annual fees for studying BDes Fashion Design in India ranges between INR 1,50,000 to 4,00,000. Most NIFTs charge annual fees in the range of INR 2,00,000 to 2,75,000 for this course.
After completing BDes Fashion Design, a candidate is offered jobs in various textile brands, Merchandise Manufacturing Companies, Fashion Designing Hubs, Boutiques, and Fashion Centres. They generally get recruited as Design Managers, Fashion Designers, Fashion Stylists, Graphic Designers, etc.
The BDes Fashion Design candidates are generally offered a starting salary in the range of INR 3,75,000 to 5,00,000. But, an experienced fashion designer with a BDes degree earns on an average around INR 5,50,000 to 6,00,000 in a year, or even higher.
After doing BDes Fashion Design if a candidate wants to do further study, then they can join M.Des Fashion Design. If the candidate wants to get better managerial jobs, then they can also go for MBA courses. Ample higher studies options are available to a BDes Fashion Design candidate.
What is the Admission Process to BDes Fashion Design Course?
The admission to BDes Fashion Design course is either merit based or entrance based. Admission to National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFTs) is on the basis of the entrance exam conducted by the NIFT board. A few private colleges also grant merit based admission.
- Most of the private colleges offering this course generally admit students on the basis of marks scored at the 10+2 level.
- Application to the College: The candidate will have to apply to the college through the application forms available in their official website. Some colleges also offer offline forms through their campus.
- Generation of Merit List: On the basis of marks scored at the 10+2 level, a merit list of the shortlisted candidates will be prepared and published by the colleges.
- Counselling and Document Verification of the Shortlisted Candidates: The shortlisted candidates will be called for counselling and document verification process. The candidates will have to show all the relevant documents to prove their eligibility.
- Enrollment: The candidates clearing all the above mentioned steps will be granted admission to the course.
How to Apply for BDes Fashion Design?
All the NIFTs and reputed private colleges grant admission on the basis of entrance exams conducted by the institute. The general admission procedure followed by these institutions are discussed below.
- Application: The candidates will have to apply for the entrance exam. If separate application forms for individual colleges are available, then the candidates will have to apply there as well.
- Entrance Exam: The entrance exams for this course are generally conducted in the months of January - February. Some colleges also conduct entrance exams in the months of April - May.
- Result and Cutoffs: After the entrance exam, the conducting body will release the results of the individual candidates along with the cutoff marks required for qualifying the exam.
- Seat Allotment: The candidates who have qualified the entrance exam will be allotted seats in different colleges depending on their ranks.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for BDes Fashion Design?
The general eligibility criteria set by most colleges for admission to BDes Fashion Design is discussed below.
- The candidates must complete 10+2 from a recognized board or university.
- Most colleges allow students from all streams to apply for this course.
- The candidates must obtain minimum 50% aggregate marks at the 10+2 level to be eligible for this course.
- The candidates must study English as a compulsory language at the 10+2 level.
- The students must be above 17 years in age.
See more: BDes Fashion Design Cut Off
What is the Entrance Exam for Admission to BDes Fashion Design course?
NIFTs conduct entrance exams for admission to BDes Fashion Design course. It is the major national level entrance exam for this course. Other than that, many all India level designing entrance exams are also used for admission to this course. Some of these exams are discussed below.
- NIFT Entrance Exam: National Institute of Fashion Technology conducts entrance exams for admission to BDes courses offered in all the 16 NIFT campuses across the country. The written exam is followed by a situation test and a group discussion round and the candidates will have to qualify in all the rounds to be eligible for admission. Examination Fees: INR 2000.
- AIEED: This Entrance Exam is conducted by the ARCH Academy of Design for admission to different Bachelor and Master degree designing courses including BDes Fashion Design. Examination Fees: INR 3000.
- NID DAT: Design Aptitude Test is conducted by the admission board of the National Institute of Design for admission to all the NIDs in the country. Examination Fees: INR 2000.
Some important dates related to these exams are tabulated below.
|Entrance Exam||Conducting Body||Exam Mode||Application Date||Exam Date|
|NIFT Entrance Exam||NIFT Admission Board||Offline||November 2020 (expected)||January 2021 (expected)|
|AIEED||ARCH Academy of Design||Offline||October 1, 2019||To be announced|
|NID DAT||National Institute of Design||Offline||November 2020 (expected)||December 2020 (expected)|
How to Prepare for BDes Fashion Design Entrance Exams?
Most of the entrance exams for BDes Fashion Design ask questions on Aptitude and Reasoning. In most cases, candidates will also have to go through a separate designing test. The candidates must remember the following points while preparing for BDes Fashion Design Entrance Exams:
- The candidates should properly work on their designing skills. They will be adequately tested during the designing test.
- The candidates should also try to solve as many logical and aptitude questions as possible.
- The candidates must read newspapers regularly in order to sharpen their current affairs knowledge.
- The candidates must also have a general idea of the common general knowledge questions.
- The candidates must practice an ample number of sample question papers within the fixed duration of time.
See more: NIFT Exam Pattern
How to Get Admission in a Top BDes Fashion Design College?
To get admission in top BDes Fashion Design colleges, the candidates must keep the following points in their minds:
- Try to score as much as you can in the entrance exam. For merit based admission, try to score at least above 85% marks to be on a safer side.
- The candidates must have a passion for designing. They will need to pass a designing and situation test, so they should have adequate designing skills.
- The candidates must appear confident during both the situation test and group discussion round.
- The candidates should practice GDs in a proper environment. This will help them improve their GD skills significantly.
- The candidates should have very clear and fluent communication skills. They should be able to communicate clearly with the interviewers.
BDes Fashion Design: What is it About?
BDes Fashion Design is a very important and popular fashion designing course which starts from a very basic level and covers all the important aspects of the course in complete detail.
- This course will aim to provide complete knowledge on every aspect of the fashion industry including fashion designing, production, marketing and quality control.
- The course covers important fashion designing topics like Fashion Studio, Fashion Illustration, History of Fashion, Relation of Fashion with culture and occupation, etc.
- Along with these, it also covers a significant part of textile science in subjects like Textiles and Apparel Management, Material Study, etc.
- The course also touches some key business related subjects like Merchandise Marketing, Textile Marketing, E-Retail, Fashion Branding, etc.
- This course not only teaches the students to design apparels, they also teaches them to design and decide the most suitable apparels for different situations and cultures.
- The candidates will get to learn the design of different occupational and professional dresses as well like uniforms, theatrical costumes, etc.
- Along with the designing and marketing of fashion products, the candidates will also learn about quality control and quality management of these products.
BDes Fashion Design Course Highlights
The major highlights of BDes Fashion Design course are tabulated below.
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Design in Fashion Design|
|Level of Study||Undergraduate|
|Course Duration||4 Years|
|Eligibility||10+2 with 50% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Either Merit Based or Entrance Based|
|Course Fee||INR 1,50,000 to 4,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4,00,000 to 6,00,000|
|Job Options||Design Managers, Fashion Designers, Fashion Stylists, Graphic Designers, etc.|
|Top Recruiters||Textile Brands, Merchandise Manufacturing Companies, Fashion Designing Hubs, Boutiques, and Fashion Centres.|
Why Study BDes Fashion Design?
The Fashion Designing stream is a very popular stream with multiple employment opportunities. Since BDes Fashion Design is an important course in this field, so the demand for this course is high. We have discussed some advantages of this course below.
- Demand for this course will never decrease in the job market: As new fashion trends and clothing styles keep on evolving, the demand for fashion designers will always be high.
- High Starting Salary: The candidates with BDes Fashion Design will get a starting salary in the range of INR 4,00,000 to 5,00,000, which is quite good for a fresher with no experience.
- Opportunities for working in multinational brands: These candidates get recruited in multinational textile brands with very good salary packages.
- Opportunities for working in the entertainment industry: These candidates can work in the film, television and theatre industry as costume designers and fashion stylists.
- Opportunities for starting their own fashion brand: Since candidates with BDes Fashion Design are trained in marketing and management aspects as well, these candidates can easily start their own fashion brand after completing the course.
BDes Fashion Design vs BDes Textile Design: What Should you Choose?
BDes Fashion Design course and BDes Textile Design course look very similar but they have many differences. The two courses are compared below:
|Parameters||BDes Fashion Design||BDes Textile Design|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Design in Fashion Design||Bachelor of Design in Textile Design|
|Overview||BDes Fashion Design concentrates on every aspect of fashion including accessories, fashion trends, style of draping, etc. It also includes a few subjects of textile science as well.||BDes Textile Design concentrates only on the Textile related subjects and does not have a holistic approach on Fashion. Some of the subjects taught are Fabric Ornamentation, Garment Grading, Material Studies, etc.|
|Duration||4 years||4 years|
|Eligibility||10+2 with minimum 50% aggregate marks||10+2 with minimum 50% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Merit Based or Entrance Based||Merit Based or Entrance Based|
|Top Colleges||NIFT New Delhi, NIFT Bangalore, NIFT Chennai||NID Ahmedabad, NIFT Navi Mumbai, NIFT New Delhi|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 1,50,000 to 4,00,000||INR 1,00,000 to 3,00,000|
|Job Profiles||Design Managers, Fashion Designers, Fashion Stylists, Graphic Designers, etc.||Textile Designer, Fabric Resource Manager, Fabric Analyser, Fabric Tester, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,00,000 to 6,00,000||INR 3,50,000 to 8,00,000|
|Top Recruitment Areas||Textile Brands, Merchandise Manufacturing Companies, Fashion Designing Hubs, Boutiques, and Fashion Centres.||Textile Brands, Merchandise Manufacturing Companies, Boutiques, etc.|
Which are the Top Colleges for Studying BDes Fashion Design?
The top colleges for studying BDes Fashion Design are listed below.
|India Today Fashion Colleges Ranking 2020||College Name||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Salary|
|1||National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi||INR 2,70,900||INR 4,50,000|
|2||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bengaluru||INR 2,58,400||INR 4,50,000|
|3||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Chennai||INR 2,70,900||INR 4,30,000|
|4||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Patna||INR 2,70,900||INR 4,50,000|
|5||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Gandhinagar||INR 2,70,000||INR 4,30,000|
|6||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Hyderabad||INR 2,70,000||INR 4,30,000|
|8||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Kolkata||INR 2,70,000||INR 4,50,000|
|9||Symbiosis Institute of Design||INR 4,20,000||INR 3,50,000|
|11||Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida||INR 1,58,000||INR 3,60,000|
BDes Fashion Design Top Colleges Comparison
The top colleges offering BDes Fashion Designing have been compared in the table given below.
|Parameters||National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi||Symbiosis Institute of Design||Amity School of Fashion Technology|
|Overview||NIFT New Delhi is one of the most reputed Fashion Designing Colleges in India. It is a part of the NIFT fraternity, and conducts admission and placement process along with the other NIFTs in India. It offers UG, PG and PhD courses in Fashion Designing and Fashion Technology.||Symbiosis School of Design is the designing school of Symbiosis International University. It is dedicated to various types of Designing courses including Fashion Designing. It also offers UG and PG level courses in designing.||Amity School of Fashion Technology is the Fashion school of Amity University, Noida. It not only offers Fashion Designing courses, but also trains the students in other areas of Fashion Technology. It offers UG and PG level courses.|
|India Today Rank 2020||1||9||11|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2,70,900||INR 4,20,000||INR 1,58,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,50,000||INR 3,50,000||INR 3,60,000|
|Top Recruiters||AK Studio, Bata India, Artex Apparels, Aura Jewels, etc.||AKG Media, Alius Design, Abil Pune Fashion Week, etc.||RBS, UST Global, etc.|
What is BDes Fashion Design Syllabus?
The BDes Fashion Design course consists of many compulsory and elective subjects covering different aspects of Fashion Designing. The below table gives a semester wise breakup of some important compulsory subjects.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Fashion Studio I||Fashion Studio II|
|Fashion Illustration I||Fashion Illustration II|
|Visualisation and Representation||Design Process|
|History of Art and Design I||History of Art and Design II|
|History of Fashion I||History of Fashion II|
|Overview of Fashion Industry||Fabric Studies I|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Fashion Studio III||Fashion Studio IV|
|History of Art and Design III||Draping Science|
|History of Fashion III||History of Design and Fashion|
|Elective 1 - Design Elective||Elective 4 - Contextual Elective|
|Elective 2 - Atelier Elective||Elective 5 - Fashion Allied Elective|
|Elective 3 - Advanced Studio Elective||Elective 6 - General Program Elective|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Fashion Studio V||Fashion Studio VI|
|Apparel Production and Quality Control||Design Dissertation|
|Fashion Merchandising and Marketing||Entrepreneurship|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Design Creation||Material Exploration|
|CAD and Grading||Fashion Accessories|
What are the BDes Fashion Design Job Profiles?
After completing BDes Fashion Design, a candidate can either do jobs, or start their own business.
- A candidate willing to do their own business can open their own fashion stores, fashion brands, or boutiques.
- They can also work as freelance designers and sell their design to other fashion companies.
Various job profiles available after completing BDes Fashion Design along with their salary trends are tabulated in the table below.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Fashion Designer||Fashion Designer works to design and plan the overall fashion statement of a brand. They design every fashion apparel and merchandise produced by the brand after analysing the market trend.||INR 3,95,000|
|Design Manager||Design Manager design and analyse the currently produced merchandise of a company. They also manage all the other designers working under them and supervise their work.||INR 10,00,000|
|Fashion Analyst||Fashion analysts analyse the current fashion trends of a company and compare them with the market demand. They also suggest any changes if required.||INR 4,00,000|
|Fashion Stylist||Fashion Stylists try to evolve new styles and fashion trends and also try to improve the existing fashion trends.||INR 4,30,000|
|Graphic Designer||Graphic designers design the graphics used over the fabrics. They can do both manual and computer based designing.||INR 3,00,000|
|Apparel Quality Manager||Apparel Quality manager manages the overall apparel quality of the company and supervises over the same.||INR 5,00,000|
|Pattern Designer||Pattern designers design the patterns to be printed over the cloths and merchandise.||INR 3,00,000|
What is BDes Fashion Design Future Scope?
After completing BDes Fashion Designing, multiple further study options are available to the candidates. Some of them are discussed below.
- M.Des Fashion Design: Master of Design [M.Des] Fashion Design is the master degree course in Fashion Design. Candidates with BDes Fashion Design can join this course. It is offered by many reputed colleges including the NIFTs. The admission process varies from college to college, but most colleges accept admission on the basis of entrance exams.
- MSc Fashion Design: MSc Fashion Designing Course is also a postgraduate course in Fashion Design. The candidates with Bachelor degree in Fashion Design may join this course. The admission may be merit based or entrance based, depending on the college.
- MBA Marketing Management: It is always a good choice for Fashion Designing students to do an MBA in Marketing. This course will help them to gain higher positions in Textile companies with higher pay.
Other than these postgraduate degree courses, the candidates may also join various certification courses like Certificate in Graphic Designing, Certificate in Apparel Designing, etc.
BDes Fashion Design: FAQs
Ques. Is Education Loan Available for studying BDes Fashion Design in NIFTs?
Ans. Yes, Education Loans are available for students enrolled in any course in NIFTs. They will need to submit relevant documents to the bank to avail the same.
Ques. What is the Placement Scenario for BDes Fashion Design course at Amity School of Fashion Technology?
Ans. Many reputed and renowned fashion brands recruit ASFT students during the campus placement drive. But the recruitment largely depends on the skills of the candidates. The average placement package offered ranges between INR 3,00,000 to INR 5,00,000.
Ques. Which is the top NIFT for studying BDes Fashion Design?
Ans. According to India Today Rankings, NIFT New Delhi is currently the top ranked NIFT in India.
Ques. Can I have a career in Accessory Design after completing BDes Fashion Design?
Ans. If you have studied the Accessory Designing subject during your BDes Fashion Design course, then you can definitely have a career in Accessory Designing after completing BDes Fashion Design.
Ques. Is there any entrance exam for admission to BDes Fashion Design course in Amity University and Amity School of Fashion Technology?
Ans. Amity University and Amity School of Fashion Technology do conduct an aptitude cum entrance test for admission to BDes Fashion Design course. But, the seats are many, so the competition is less.
Ques. What is the average annual fee for studying a BDes Fashion Design course in India?
Ans. The average annual fees for BDes Fashion Design course ranges between INR 1,50,000 to 4,00,000. The average fees in NIFTs ranges between INR 2,00,000 to 2,70,000.
Ques. What are the career options after completing BDes Fashion Design course?
Ans. After completing BDes Fashion Design course, a candidate may work in various textile brands, fashion brands and merchandise brands as Fashion Designers, Fashion Stylist, Fashion Analyst, etc.
Ques. What is the average annual salary for a Fashion Designer in India?
Ans. The starting salary for a Fashion Designer in India ranges between INR 3,75,000 to 5,00,000, but experienced fashion designers are generally paid in the range of INR 5,50,000 to 6,00,000 or even higher.