Pondicherry is a Union Territory in the south of the country and home to a few very fine MBBS colleges. All the admissions after 12th class in Pondicherry are done via Centralised Admission Committee (CENTAC). It is a common portal for the students of Pondicherry to gain admissions in any degree, in any stream, from any college, government or private, thus all MBBS admissions are done from this portal.
Admissions to all the MBBS seats in Pondicherry are done through NEET in all the Medical Colleges, run with the approval of the Medical Council of India (MCI). The selection through counselling for M.B.B.S., B.D.S. and B.A.M.S. courses are done based on the NEET Score of the current year.
The admission process includes the following stages:-
Admission based on NEET Rank
CENTAC Merit List, also based upon NEET Rank
NEET is organised by the National Testing Agency (NTA) and is a national level entrance exam. It comprises 180 multiple choice questions. The exam is of 3 hours duration.
The centralization of the portal makes it possible to offer all the information and services in one place, making it easier for the students to access information and services. CENTAC is also the counselling body for MBBS admissions.
Pondicherry MBBS Admission 2021: Highlights
|Entrance Test||NEET UG|
|Union Territory||Puducherry (Pondicherry)|
Pondicherry MBBS Admission 2021: Important Dates
The following table shows the important dates regarding the MBBS admissions in Pondicherry.
|Starting of application form||3rd Week of May 2021|
|Last date to submit applications||4th Week of June 2021|
|Merit list||4th Week of July 2021|
|Counselling Process||1st Week of August 2021|
Pondicherry MBBS Admission 2021: Eligibility Criteria
To secure an admission in a course of MBBS, a candidate must satisfy the following eligibility criteria:-
- Qualifying Exam: Qualify 10+2 examination or equivalent examination from a recognized board.
- Subjects: Pass the above examination with Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Biotechnology, Zoology, Botany and English individually.
- Minimum Marks: Score at least 50% marks (40% marks in case of reserved category).
- Entrance Exam: Based on the rank secured in NEET 2021
- Attempts: There are no attempt limits for BDS and MBBS
NEET 2021: Eligibility
- Nationality: Candidates who are Indian nationals, OCI (Overseas citizens of India), and NRIs can apply for the examination.
- Qualifying Exam: Candidates must have passed the 10+2 examination or its equivalent from an accredited Board or University. Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology should have been mandatory subjects in the qualifying exam.
- Qualifying Marks: Candidates must obtain at least 50% marks in case of General category, 45% for General-PH category candidates and 40% marks for SC/ST & OBC category candidates in the qualifying exam. Those who still have to appear in their qualifying exam after NEET 2021 can also apply for NEET, but their admission will be provisional subject to their result.
- Age Limit: The minimum age limit for the applicant should be 17 years as on 31st Dec, 2021. There is no current upper age limit for NEET. However, this provision is conditional on the basis of the decision made by the supreme court of India. There is no limit on the number of attempts a student can make.
Pondicherry MBBS Admission 2021: Registration, Application Form and Selection Procedure
The application differs as to if the applicants are the residents of Puducherry or not. If the applicant is a resident then
CENTAC is the counselling body and the registration to apply to a college in the UT as a resident needs to be done at https://centacpuducherry.in/UgNeet/registration.html. Here, the students can select their college of choice in Puducherry.
If the applicant is not a resident but is an Indian Citizen then
Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) is the national counselling body and “https://mcc.nic.in/UGCounselling/Candidate/CandidateVerify” is where the applicants should register and then choose a college in Puducherry.
Documents Required for CENTAC Application Form
Candidates need to submit several requisite documents along with print-out of duly filled CENTAC Application Form. The following documents are required for the CENTAC Application Process:
- Copy of Online Payment
- Nationality Certificate
- Permanent Integrated Certificate
- Special Category Certificate (if applicable)
- Self-attested copy of Certificate depicting Age of Candidate
- Self -attested copies of Degrees and Mark-sheets of 10 + 2 examination or other educational qualifications.
- Reservation/Caste Certificate (if applicable)
- Passport-size photographs of the candidate. Photographs must not be older than three months from the date of submission of the CENTAC 2021 Application Form.
- Community Certificate (if applicable)
- Nativity Certificate (if applicable)
- Sports Certificate (if applicable)
Check CENTAC Application Form
Selection Procedure for Pondicherry MBBS Admission 2021
- Admission to the M.B.B.S., B.D.S. & B.A.M.S. courses are based on the current year NEET Rank of the candidates.
- Merit List will be based on NEET Rank.
- Allotment will be based on the eligibility, reservation applicable, category of seats and NEET Rank.
- After the Merit list, counselling takes place
NEET 2021 EXAM
MBBS admissions require students to give a National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET), conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) to secure admissions in approved/recognized Medical/Dental & other Colleges/ Institutes in India.
Some of the details about NEET 2021 are listed below:-
|Mode||Offline (Pen and Paper)|
|Type of questions||Multiple Choice Questions|
|Marking scheme||+4 for every correct answer, -1 for every incorrect answer|
Registration Begin: 1st Week of December 2020
Exam Date: 3rd May 2021
NEET 2021: Exam Pattern and Result
NEET is a highly competitive exam and a thorough revision of the syllabus is very important. Following is the exam pattern of NEET.
|Biology (Botany + Zoology)||360|
A candidate can score anywhere from -180 to 720 on NEET. To pass or qualify for the admissions, applicants must have the minimum percentile mentioned below:-
|Category||Cut off percentile||Cut – off scores|
Check NEET 2021 Exam Pattern
Pondicherry MBBS Admission 2021: Reservation (CENTAC)
- As per U.T. Govt. norms for all Government quota seats, only Candidates who are resident of the U.T. of Puducherry are eligible.
- Out of the total number of seats available in a particular state, 85% are reserved for the residents of the state.
Minority Quota Seats (Management Quota) in Private Medical Colleges
- Minority quota seats in Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS), are reserved for those candidates who are resident of Puducherry and belonging to Christian religious minority alone are eligible.
- Minority quota seats in Sri Venkateshwaraa Medical College & Research Institute (SVMCH & RI) are reserved for those candidates who are resident of Puducherry and belonging to Telugu linguistic minority alone are eligible.
- U.T. of Puducherry candidates claiming seats under Christian Minority Quota should produce any valid documentary proof like Transfer Certificate or similar document to prove that his / her religion is CHRISTIANITY.
- U.T. of Puducherry candidates claiming seats under Telugu Minority Quota should produce any valid documentary proof like Transfer Certificate or School admission certificate to prove that his / her mother tongue is TELUGU.
- Conversion of Minority Quota seats into General Management Quota seats: In case these minority quota seats are not filled in the TWO rounds of Counselling, then these unfilled seats will be converted to general management quota seats and filled on All India basis. In the computerised module of allocation, the unfilled seats will be converted after exhausting the minority candidates and allotted as General Management Quota seats in the second round itself.
- For Management Quota seats in Private Colleges candidates are eligible on All India basis without any restriction to residence in the U.T. of Puducherry.
Pondicherry MBBS Admission 2021: Counselling Process
Admission process for MBBS is kept uniform and is done strictly through the counselling process. The process begins after NEET results are announced. Counselling may be done in one or more Rounds depending upon the necessity. Typically, counselling may consist of 1st Round, 2nd Round and Mop Up Round. CENTAC has the right to do more number of rounds in order to fill up the seats
- The Merit List will be prepared based on the marks scored in accordance with their ranks.
- After that, an allotment process takes place where the students are allotted a college of their highest preference based on the college cut – off, the applicants’ NEET Score and the availability of seats.
- On the basis of CENTAC Merit List, candidates are called for counselling .Separate counselling letters will be issued.
- Allotment will be done through online counselling. However, CENTAC reserves the right to do Physical (manual) counselling in any round including the mop up round if required.
- Candidates will have to check the website for a counseling schedule.
- The qualified candidates need to appear in person for counselling and will be required to produce the required documents for verification.
- If the students are not happy with the allotment, they can register for Round 2.
Documents Required for CENTAC Counselling
- Permanent Residence Certificate
- Mark Sheet of Class XII
- Marksheet of class Xth (Birth date proof)
- Attested copies of mark sheet of Class XII has to be submitted
- Category certificate (if applicable)
- Qualifying exam degree/mark sheet
- Call letter of CENTAC 2021
- A copy of application form
After the completion of the counselling process within one week, the conducting authority will release a seat allotment list. Candidates have to download their provisional allotment letter from the website and then report at the allotted center within a given time period with all the required documents. In case, candidates fail to report on a given time, their seat will be cancelled or given away.
Pondicherry MBBS Admission 2021: Participating Colleges
The following table lists the participating colleges in Pondicherry.
|Government||Indira Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute|
|Government||AYURVEDA COLLEGE Rajiv Gandhi Ayurveda Medical College|
|Private||Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences|
|Private||Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College & Hospital|
|Private||Sri Venkateshwaraa Medical College & Research Institute|
Pondicherry MBBS Fees
|Admission Fees||INR 20,000|
|Academic Fees||INR 20,000|
|Special Fees||INR 10,000|
|Lab Fees||INR 10,000|
|Library Fees||INR 10,000|
|Cultural Fees||INR 4000|
|Students Welfare Fees||INR 1000|
|College Development Fund||INR 10,000|
|Sports Fund||INR 2000|
Ques. What is the application fee?
Ans. For the current year, in the view of the pandemic, application fees for the Government Management Quota has been waived off. But Management Quota students are required to pay 2000/- as the application fees. Similarly, NRI students will have to pay 5000/-.
Ques. Can NRI students apply from CENTAC?
Ans. Yes, all NRI candidates should submit their application in online mode through CENTAC only. NRI quota includes Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIO).
Ques. What is the fee structure for the colleges?
Ans. Government colleges can cost INR 1, 35,000 annually as they are funded by the government. Private colleges can be quite expensive costing around INR 16 lakh per year for the Management Quota and around 3.8 lakh per year in the Government Quota.
Ques. What is the total number of seats available?
Ans. Seats available in each category of the participating college are as follows:
- Indira Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute has 131, 27, 22 seats for Government Quota, Management Quota and NRI quota respectively.
- Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences has 55 in Government quota, 10 in Management Quota (All India Basis) 75 in Christian Minority, and 10 in NRI quota.
- Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College & Hospital 55 in Government quota, and 95 in Management Quota (All India Basis).
- Sri Venkateshwaraa Medical College & Research Institute 55 in Government quota, 5 in Management Quota (All India Basis), 75 Telugu Minority, and 15 NRI quota.
Ques. Are there Dental and Indian Medicine colleges in Pondicherry?
Ans. Yes, Mahatma Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Dental Sciences and Rajiv Gandhi Ayurveda Medical College are both government colleges in Pondicherry. There are private dental colleges in Puducherry as well.
Ques. What are the total marks in NEET Exam?
Ans. Each question in NEET will have 4 marks. Therefore, maximum marks of the exam are 720.