What is BSc Home Science?
B.Sc. Home Science is an upcoming degree course that emphasizes scientific learning of subjects like nutrition, dietetics, human development, home economics, textile, and fashion designing, extension education, etc. The Bachelor of Science with an honors degree is the basic degree of this multidimensional subject. This stream actually acts as an umbrella for various specialized courses like food and nutrition, dietetics, home management, human development, fashion designing, etc. for future studies.
The course syllabus typically consisted of practical as well as theoretical approaches to give students professional experience. The ideal job opportunity a student can expect ranges from NGO worker to nutrition expert, student counselor, child development officer, trainee in fashion houses, junior dietician, etc. Popular job sectors include both private as well as government sectors like hospitals, nursing homes, health facilities, nutrition rehabilitation centers, child development, and care centers, orphanages, NGOs, hotels, restaurants, health clubs, hospitality sectors, and obviously the teaching industry.
At the start, a student can expect a salary of 1.5-2LPA, depending upon the job and company he or she has joined. Future scope of this course involves higher studies and career development goals like MA Course, M.Sc. Course, MSW Course, MBA Course, B.ed Course, Diploma Course, certificate, to secure advanced job roles like project head, team lead, state coordinator, head nutritionist, hospitality manager, PGT teacher, etc.,
See Also: Top BSc Home Science College List
Top Colleges providing B.Sc. in Home Science
Aspirants who wish to pursue a Bachelor's degree in Home Science may refer to this table to know about some of the top universities offering the same.
|University Name||City||Admission procedure||Average Annual Fees in INR|
|Banaras Hindu University (BHU)||Banaras||Merit-based||9501|
|Lady Irwin College--||Delhi||Merit-based||56,375|
|Institute of Home Economics||Delhi||Merit-based||49,685|
|JD Birla Institute|
- B. Sc. Home Science is a promising stream of study that involves in-depth knowledge of subjects like food, nutrition, home management, family resource management, interior designing and decoration, textile and fashion, etc.
- After completion, students may pursue a career in the fashion industry, food and dietetics sectors, hotels, hospitals, fitness centers, NGOs, interior decorating firms, and many more.
- Job roles like the counselor, trainee fitness coach, junior dietician, trainee nutritionist, junior trainee in fashion firms, project manager in NGOs, etc. are open to B. Sc. in Home Science students.
- The average starting salary for these jobs is approximately 2LPA with the scope of increasing it with experiences.
- Pursuing a specialized master’s degree in Food and Nutrition, Dietetics, Human Development, etc. would help students in escalating his or her career prospect to a great extent. An MBA degree is also an option since MBA Jobs provide way more salaries than other courses.
- Academics and research are two prosperous fields for the future of the students of home science.
Check Out: All BSc Courses
BSc Home Science Course Highlights
|Admission process||Merit List based|
|Course Fee||Up to INR 9000 to 1.80 Lacs|
|Average salary||Approx 2LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||NGOs, Hospitals, Diet centers, Nutrition Rehabilitation Centers, Fashion houses, Hotels & Restaurants, Hospitality and Food manufacturing firms, Children's Welfare Centers, Nursing Homes, Restaurants, Cooking Consultancy Services, etc.|
|Job Positions||Nutrition Expert, Trainee Fashion Designer, Dietician, Health Care Worker, Child Care-taker, Community Representative, NGO worker, etc.|
BSc Home Science Eligibility
Aspirants who wish to seek admission into B. Sc. in Home Science must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- Having passed the 10+2 examination in any valid format, in any stream of science.
- Have qualified an equivalent examination with any two subjects of the following:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Vocational Courses in Home Science
Also See: BSc Course Details
BSc Home Science Admission Process
Admission to B Sc Home Science is purely based on the merit-based admission procedures. Candidates willing to pursue a Bachelor's Degree in Home Science must qualify the minimum eligibility criteria as drawn by the respective college or university. There is no entrance test and the whole merit lists are prepared solely on the basis of the numbers scored by the candidates who have submitted applications. The merit lists are prepared on the basis of cut-off marks calculated by the college or university, each year. However, the cut-offs are subject to change for different colleges depending upon the norms and regulations of that particular college.
The admission method is both online and offline. However, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic conditions, the entire admission procedure is conducted online with no provision of offline form collection.
Follow the below-mentioned steps to apply for Merit-Based Admission
- Visit the official website of the college of your choice and go to the link provided for admission to B.Sc. in Home Science.
- Before starting, make sure to collect all the necessary testimonials like scanned copies of mark sheets, certificates, photo, ID proof, digital signature, in support of your minimum eligibility criteria.
- Before applying, make sure you fulfill all the eligibility criteria. Failing to which, your candidature will be canceled automatically without any intimation.
- Fill up the form carefully, check it, and submit along with uploaded testimonials.
- In case the aspirant wishes to collect the form from the admission office of the respective college of his or her choice, he or she can collect the form and submit it with proper testimonials via post or by hand. However, due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, the whole admission procedure for the year 2020-2021 has been shifted to virtual or online mode, hence, the offline admission procedure is not available yet.
- Upon successful submission take out the registration sheet and submit the application and retain these for future references.
- Colleges now will shortlist, consider, and prepare merit lists of candidates, as per the norms of that college.
- After the publication of the merit list, students are counseled for verification. Aspirants can deposit the fees to get admitted to that college.
How to Get Admission in a Good College?
- B. Sc. in Home Science is taught in different colleges across India. You need to jot down your preferred colleges in a list format.
- If you wish to change your location based on your college, you need to take a thorough follow-up about the dates. Missing any dates will hamper the whole location shifting process.
- Start preparing one year in advance.
- Note down all the important dates and deadlines.
- Always check if the format or admission procedure has been changed or altered.
- Check previous years' cut-offs and understand your position.
- At the time of registration, it is advisable not to depend on one college fully.
- Many colleges run spot admission the day they publish a merit list so you must be prepared to sit for a final counseling and fee submission procedure.
- Do not miss the date for the merit list publication. In case of several lists being published on the same day, try to follow up on the website.
- Always carry all the testimonials, IDs, photos while visiting the colleges with ample photocopies in hand. In light of Covid-19, the whole admission procedure has been shifted online. In that case, keep all the scanned copies of your supporting documents ready.
- In this era of competition, securing the first place you get to a college is a safe practice rather than waiting for the colleges you prefer more. This is why you must carefully shortlist the preferred colleges before-hand so that you can willfully take admission to any college that comes up with publishing the list first.
BSc Home Science Syllabus
The syllabus is inclusive of all core subjects required to curate an in-depth degree level knowledge in Home Science. Home economics, human development, interior decoration, fashion designing, textiles and apparel technology, nutrition, dietetics, food science, extension education, etc. are some of the course highlights. Specialized papers can be chosen as per students’ preferences. The curriculum may differ slightly, depending upon the specific college, but the core of the semester based syllabus remains the same.
The syllabus followed by universities and colleges are as follows:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Human Development||Family Resource Management|
|Introduction to the Foundation of Food and Nutrition||Foundation of Fabric of Apparel Science|
|Computational Skills||Computational Skills|
|Applied Physical Sciences||Dynamics of Human Communication|
|Technical Writing in English||Technical Writing in English|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Human Nutrition||Clothing Construction|
|Home Science Extension Education||Interior Design|
|Fundamentals of Sociology: Social and Culture||Fundamentals of Psychology: Behavioural Processes|
|Applied Life Sciences||Optional paper|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Consumer Economics||Advanced Human Development|
|Fashion Designing||Advanced Home Science Extension and Communication|
|Diet Therapy I||Diet Therapy II|
|Home Science Extension Education and Rural Development||Consumer Products Safety and Legislation|
|Fundamental of Human Development||Statistics and Research Methods|
BSc Home Science Top Colleges
The top colleges that provide BSc Home Science along with the city name, average fees and admission procedure:
|University Name||City||Average Annual Fees in INR||Admission procedure|
|Banaras Hindu University (BHU)||Banaras||9501||Merit-based|
|Lady Irwin College||Delhi||56,375||Merit-based|
|Institute of Home Economics||Delhi||49,685||Merit-based|
|JD Birla Institute||Kolkata||1,80,000||Merit-based|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||1,95,000||Merit-based|
|Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University||Amethi||9,000||Merit-based|
|Rajshree Institute of Management and Technology||Bareilly||16,500||Merit-based|
|Vidyavati Mukand Lal Girls College||Ghaziabad||50,350||Merit-based|
|Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University||Uttarakhand||3,750||Merit-based|
|Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gorakhpur University||Gorakhpur||41,100||Merit-based|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||23,205||Merit-based|
Below are discussed details of the courses offered by different top-ranked Universities.
|Parameter||Lady Irwin College||JD Birla Institute, Kolkata||Nirmala Niketan College of Home Science|
|Overview||Lady Irwin College is a NAAC A+ grade college under Delhi University. It is a public college, established in 1932 in Delhi.||Ranked 63 in Science by India Today NIRF 2021 ranking, JDBI Kolkata is a private autonomous college, affiliated by the prestigious Jadavpur University, Kolkata.||Established in 1955, Nirmala Niketan College of Home Science is a private college under Mumbai University.|
|Average fee||INR 56,375||INR 1,80,000||INR 8,618|
Why Study BSc Home Science?
- B.Sc. Home Science is an introductory degree course of vividly descriptive specialized higher study courses.
- Home science is a cumulative study of an array of interrelated descriptive subjects like Home economics, Human development, Nutrition, Dietetics, Interior decoration, Fashion designing, Apparel designing, bioscience, and physical sciences, etc.
- This study is the foundation course for various specialized study courses like M.Sc. or MA in food and nutrition, food and dietetics, Applied Nutrition, Diploma in dietetics, Postgraduate diploma in dietetics, MA in human development, Diploma or certificate courses in fashion designing, apparel or textile designing, etc.
- In career advancement, you can opt for a Master in Social Work, a Master in Business Administration, and a Master in Public Health, etc. to broaden your area of work.
- This course of study is excellent for candidates wishing to pursue a career in government jobs.
- B. Sc. Home Science can pursue a Bachelor of education and then sit for teachers’ eligibility tests or any specific test as laid by the authority to apply for Post Graduate Teaching posts in central and state boards.
- This course is a great fit for aspirants who wish to pursue a career in both private as well as government health and hospitality sectors.
- Roles as a Child counselor, child development officers, or employees in NGOs working for child rights and psychology would be a great fit for students with a B.Sc. honors degree.
BSc Home Science Course Comparisons
B. Sc Home Science is suitable for candidates who wish to focus on entry-level jobs instead of higher studies. On the other hand, the bachelor's degree honors course in Home Science is targeted for students who wish to build a long term career in academics or jobs that require in-depth academic knowledge. Below is a tabular comparison between in these two courses in terms of eligibility, course duration, admission procedure, fees, expected starting salary offered, etc.:
B.Sc. (Hons) Home Science vs B.Sc. Pass in Home Science:
|Parameters||B.Sc. (Hons) Home Science||B.Sc. Pass in Home Science|
|Course duration||3 years||3 years|
|Special paper||2nd year onward||Only in 3rd year|
|Minimum Eligibility Criteria||50% in 10+2||40% in 10+2|
|Admission||Merit based||Merit based|
BSc Home Science Scope
An honors Bachelor's degree in Home Science is the stepping stone for the upcoming array of possibilities for candidates. Graduates of Home Science with an Honor can either opt for advanced degrees in different specializations or can continue their jobs for 2-3 years and then opt for any career development courses to increase salary and broaden the scope of work.
- If you wish to pursue a job right after graduation, you can pursue your higher studies via distance education. Master of Science in Food and Nutrition offered by IGNOU is an excellent distance education course to consider.
- In case candidates wish to pursue higher studies, M.A & M.Sc. in Home Science in various specializations such as Food and Nutrition, Food Science and Nutrition, Food Science and Dietetics, Sports Nutrition, Human Development, etc. can be studied.
- You can also pursue Postgraduate Diploma courses in fashion and apparel designing, Interior decoration, dietetics, applied nutrition, etc.
- If interested in advancing your career in the community and public health sector, a Master's degree in Social Work or Public Health will be very beneficial for securing posts like project heads, state head, regional head in top-class NGOs, and humanitarian agencies.
- After gaining an experience of about 8-10 years, an MBA in policymaking or hospitality management would serve you a strong ground to take another leap in your career.
BSc Home Science Jobs
Graduates of B.Sc. Home Science is eligible to start their career in various fields. Points to be kept in mind are:
- This is the basic academic course that can start your career, but the opportunities will be of junior trainee or of basic level.
- If you wish to uplift your job prospects, pursuing higher studies is highly advisable.
- Masters, Diploma, certificate, distance study are some of the popular value-adding courses.
Below are mentioned the popular job profiles and career options of a B.Sc Home Science with description:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary (in INR) per annum|
|Health Care Worker||Work as a community level health worker, mainly in charge of conducting campaigns, seminars, awareness programs, vaccination drives, etc. within the communities.||2 lakhs|
|Trainee fashion designer||Contribute to the company, label, or house you work for by working as a trainee. Contribute to designing, budgeting, framing the project as a team member.||3 lakhs|
|Nutrition Expert||Work in hospitals, gyms, health centers, and nutrition rehabilitation centers, Nursing homes as the nodal person to overlook the whole nutrition and diet-related problems.||2.5 lakhs|
|Child Care-taker||Taking care of children in day-care centers, looking after their needs and safety. Work includes feeding, grooming, dressing, diapering toddlers, taking care of the needs of children. Work as a person of responsibility for children, children with special needs, orphans, etc. The wellbeing, feeding, grooming of the children along with medical needs and communication are some of the core job responsibilities.||1.5 lakhs|
|Housekeeping supervisor||Work as a supervisor in the hotel and hospitality sector AS AN in charge of the team of housekeeping.||2.5 lakhs|
BSc Home Science FAQ
Ques: Is Home Science easy?
Ques: What is Home Science all about?
Ques: I am a student of the arts. Can I pursue B.Sc. Hons in Home Science?
Ques: What is the aim of Home Science?
Ques: What is taught in Home Science?
Ques: What is the salary for a home science graduate?
Ques: What are the job posts of a B.Sc. (Hons) graduate of Home Science?
Ques: What is the difference between B.Sc. pass and B.Sc. (Hons) in Home Science?
Ques: How can I secure a Government job after doing B.Sc. (Hons) in Home Science?
Ques: How can I teach Home Science at school?