What is MSc Clinical Research?
MSc Clinical Research is a 2 Years’ Full Time Post Graduate Programme especially framed for the students who have a substantial interest in medical studies and medical studies.
MSc Clinical Research subjects are not only about cultivating medical studies and various strands of medical science, but it is also about verifying and validating the essential medical products or medicines.
To pursue MSc Clinical Research, the candidates must have done their BSc in any of the streams like Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology, Nursing, Physiotherapy, or Pharmacists from any recognized College or University.
The admission of the candidates is conducted through entrance examinations or the merit acquired in the last qualifying examination. The admission criteria differ from college to college or university to university.
The total course fee of MSc Clinical Research can cost upto Rs 5 Lakhs based on the standard of the colleges and universities.
After completing MSc Clinical Research, the students can avail of various jobs like Biostatistician, Clinical Research Associate, and Clinical Research Professor, etc.
Check the list of Top MSc Colleges in India.
A newly fresh Post Graduate after MSc Clinical Research can expect an average starting salary of Rs 3 to 12 Lakhs per annum.
However, they can pursue higher studies by doing a PhD in Clinical Research. As it is a research-based course curriculum, it will help the students to obtain more practical knowledge of it.
Check: Top PhD Colleges in India
MSc Clinical Research Course Highlights
The following table consists of important course highlights of MSc Clinical Research –
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full-Form||Master of Science Clinical Research|
|Duration||2 Years – Full Time|
|Examination Type||Semester System/Yearly System|
|Eligibility||Graduation in Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology, Nursing, Physiotherapy or Pharmacists from any recognized College or University.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Examination and Merit-based|
|Course Fee||Rs. 5,000 – 500,000|
|Average Salary||3 to 12 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Hospital, Max Hospital, Metro Hospital, Fortis Hospital, Sir Gangaram Hospital, and Artemis Healthcare etc.|
|Job Positions||Clinical Research Associate, Clinical research Analyst, Clinical research Project Manager, Clinical Research Project Coordinator, and Clinical Research Physician etc.|
Top MSc Clinical Research Colleges
The details of top colleges providing MSc Clinical Research in India are listed below –
table class="table table-striped style_table"> Name of the College Location Admission Process Average Annual Fees (INR) Average Placement (INR) Ajeenkya DY Patil University Pune Merit-based 55,800 5.43 LPA Amity University Delhi Merit-based 1,06.000 12 LPA The Global Open University Nagaland Merit-based 62,563 - Apeejay Stya University Haryana Merit-based and Personal Interview 2,60,000 9.60 LPA Chettinad Academy of Research and Education Tamil Nadu Merit-based 76,780 -
What is the Admission Process of MSc Clinical Research?
The admission in MSc Clinical Research is generally conducted through a merit-based admission procedure. However, in some colleges and universities, performance in the entrance examination is the primary aspect for the gateway of that college or university. Further, after the entrance examination, the students are said to have gone through Group Discussion and Personal Interview Round operated by the university body.
For Entrance-based Admission –
For entrance-based admission –
- The candidates have to visit the official website of the conducting body of the entrance examination to register them.
- After making proper registration and coming across the eligibility and other procedures, the students are required to wait till the distribution of the admit cards.
- The students are required to sit for the entrance examination and secure a comfortable CGPA or merit.
- A merit list will be published and the qualified students will be allotted to the different colleges and universities based upon their ranks.
For Merit-based Admission –
Merit-based admission follows –
- The students need to apply online at the official website of the desired college or university.
- The students have to successfully complete the application procedure (Online/Offline) and must meet all the prescribed rules and regulations.
- The College or University bodies will shortlist the qualified candidates for the course MSc clinical Research.
- Provisional merit list and final merit list will be brought out by the respective College or the University body.
- The qualified candidates will be called for a counseling session to secure their admission in that college or university.
- In case of Merit-based admission also the students may need to be present at Personal Interview Round.
What is the MSc Clinical Research Eligibility Criteria?
The candidates applying for the course must meet the following MSc Clinical Research eligibility criteria –
- The candidates have to complete Graduation degree in Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology, Nursing, Physiotherapy or Pharmacists.
- The candidates should complete their Post Graduation from any recognized college or university.
- The candidates should secure a minimum of 55% marks to apply for MSc Clinical research Programme.
What are the popular Entrance Examinations for MSc Clinical Research?
For admission in MSc Clinical Research, some colleges and universities have previously set parameters of entrance examinations. The followings are some of the top entrance examinations associated with MSc Clinical Research –
- MGU CAT – Mahatma Gandhi University conducts this entrance test as a National Offline examination for admission in the courses like MA, MSc, M.Ed, LLM and MTTM. It is a MCQ based 90 minutes examination carrying 80 marks.
- IUET – It is the entrance examination of Integral University, Uttar Pradesh conducted by the university itself. It is a computer based objective type examination having 90 minutes duration.
- CUCET – Central University Common Entrance Test is an offline MCQ based examination conducted by the Rajasthan central University. It is a total 100 marks’ examination and the duration is slotted by 2 hrs.
- MET – MET, known as Mahe Online Entrance Test or Manipal Entrance Test is an online computer based examination offering different subjects like MSc, BTech, BPharma, ME and M.Tech etc. Full marks and the duration of the examination depend on the selected course programme. The questions will be MCQ type.
|Name of the Examination||Application Date||Examination Date||Mode of the Examination|
|MGU CAT||20th Feb’20 – 15th Sep’20||TBA||Offline|
|CUCET||Closed||18th Sep’20 – 20th Sep’20||Offline|
Read More: Top MSc Entrances
How to Prepare for the MSc Clinical Research Entrance Examination?
The following are some of the useful tips to follow while taking preparation for the MSc Clinical Research Entrance examinations.
- Be aware of the latest question pattern of the entrance examination and recent updates regarding the pattern and syllabus of the exam also.
- The format of the Entrance examinations for MSc Clinical Research is mainly followed in Objective type MCQ-based. So while taking preparation, practice plenty of questions from different question banks and books.
- Search for any online or offline Mock Test regarding that entrance examination. Make a list of all and sit for such examinations to practice more efficiently and gain confidence.
- If you want to score a good CGPA, then try to learn in-depth knowledge of the subjects. This will help you answer all the questions especially when there are MCQs or Objective type questions.
- Start your preparation before a year to take a grasp on the subjects and also to complete the whole syllabus. It is very essential to complete the whole syllabus for any entrance examination.
How to Get Admission in a Good MSc Clinical Research College?
Followings are some of the important points to remember to get into a top MSc Clinical Research College.
- The first and foremost criteria are to score good merit in the Post Graduation examination level. You have to secure a minimum of 55% marks or above to satisfy the eligibility of any top college.
- If you are preparing for the entrance examination, then prepare well. Complete the whole syllabus as earliest as possible and always keep ample remaining time to revise it.
- Try to practice as much as possible at home before sitting for the entrance. This will increase your confidence and help you to collect a comfortable rank in the examination.
- When you are choosing any college; then research first on the college. Make sure the college has sufficient infrastructure, faculties, and practical labs, etc. to provide you a condensed knowledge regarding the subject.
What is MSc Clinical Research All about?
MSc Clinical Research is a 2 Years’ Post Graduation course programme encountered with Clinical Research and Trials and other aspects of medical Science.
- MSc Clinical Research is composed of different experiments and research on the living organisms crawling on the surface.
- It is a broad concept and different elements including Performable organic activities in the clinic, Study of Drugs and Medicine Management, Manufacture of medicine and drugs, Determination of the appropriate quantity of drugs for the human body, and Impacts of specific drugs or medicines on the human body, etc.
- MSc Clinical Research is also laid out with other major components such as the Study of co-related disciplines inclusive of Epidemiology and Transplantation etc, advanced study of the sub-specialties of research design, Data Management, Epidemiology, and Biostatistics.
- This course programme is also concerned with furnishing practical knowledge and skills as well as theoretical aspects of the programme. So pursuing MSc Clinical Research, the students can practice their research from the PostGraduate level of study.
- The papers or subjects on which the candidates can practice their research are Translation Research, Genetics, Epidemiology and Patient-Specific Research, etc.
- MSc Clinical Research by its invention tendency is more cautious about the safety and side effects of the drugs and medicines injected into the human body.
Read More: Top MSc Courses
Why Study MSc Clinical Research?
MSc Clinical Research is the ideal course programme for the students who wish to pursue their career in the field of medical and medicine science because –
- MSc Clinical Research will furnish you with the ultimate theoretical and practical knowledge regarding Clinical Research and trials.
- The students who are passionate about inventing various drugs and medicines by conducting on-demand clinical researches will get to learn various techniques and processes.
- While studying the MSc Clinical Research, the students can learn different skills including Decision making, analyzing, visualization, coordination skill, and teamwork, etc. Clinical Research is all about a collaborative effort to serve mankind and society with the help of medicines and medical science.
- MSc Clinical Research can lift a student to his or her career excellence in the field of medicine science. The students can work at high-level posts like Clinical Research Analyst, Biostatistician, Clinical Research Project Coordinator, and Clinical Research Project Manager, etc.
- The students can gather different crucial knowledge regarding various drugs, medicines, and their impact on the human body. They also get to judge the effectiveness, productiveness, and several safety measures of those medicines, medical products, and drugs, etc.
MSc Clinical Research Vs MSc Medical Microbiology
The basic course difference between MSc Clinical Research and MSc Medical Microbiology are presented in the following table.
|Parameters||MSc Clinical Research||MSc Medical Microbiology|
|Overview||MSc Clinical Research is a higher education course programme dealing with clinical experiment and research on living organisms. It involves the research on the various drugs and medicines and their safety and productiveness over the human body.||MSc Medical Microbiology is another higher education degree that deals with the medical aspects of virology, bacteriology, immunology, and mycology to infection and various diseases. It also includes the molecular part.|
|Degree Level||Post Graduation||Post Graduation|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 to 500,000||INR 5,000 – 300,000|
|Duration||2 Years Full Time||2 Years Full Time|
|Average Salary||3 – 12 LPA||1-10 LPA|
Top MSc Clinical Research Colleges
The details of top MSc Clinical Research colleges are listed below –
|Name of the College||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees (INR)||Average Placement (INR)|
|Ajeenkya DY Patil University||Pune||Merit-based||55,800||5.43 LPA|
|Amity University||Delhi||Merit-based||1,06,000||12 LPA|
|The Global Open University||Nagaland||Merit-based||62,563||-|
|Apeejay Stya University||Haryana||Merit-based and Personal Interview||2,60,000||9.60 LPA|
|Chettinad Academy of Research and Education||Tamil Nadu||Merit-based||76,780||-|
|Galgotias University||Uttar Pradesh||Merit-based||1,49,000||3.35 LPA|
|G D Goenka University||Haryana||Merit-based||2,00,000||3.50 LPA|
|Indus University||Gujarat||Merit-based||1,25,00||7.20 LPA|
|Jaipur National University||Rajasthan||Merit-based, Group Discussion and personal Interview||85,000||7.20 LPA|
MSc Clinical Research: College Comparison
The following table describes the comparison between the top 3 three colleges offering MSc Clinical Research in India.
|Parameters||Apeejay Stya University||Indus University||Galgotias University|
|Overview||It is one of the biggest Private Universities in Haryana having different schools of studies.||This university is known for its excellence in the field of different studies.||It is the most prestigious and biggest private university in Uttar Pradesh ideal for MSc Clinical Research.|
|College Grade by NAAC||-||-||“A” Grade|
|Eligibility Criteria||Graduation Degree in Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology, Nursing, Physiotherapy or Pharmacists with at least 50% marks.||Graduation Degree in Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology, Nursing, Physiotherapy or Pharmacists with at least 50% marks||Graduation Degree in Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Botany, Zoology, Nursing, Physiotherapy or Pharmacists with at least 50% marks|
|Selection Process||Merit-based and Personal Interview||Merit-based||Merit-based|
|Course Fee (INR)||2.60 Lakhs||1.25 Lakhs||1.49 Lakhs|
|Average Placement Salary||9.60 LPA||7.20 LPA||3.35 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Abbott, Accenture, BBC, Big Bazaar, Indigo, Infosys.||Samsung, Amazon, Godrej, Forbes, Tata Motors, Gateway Group.||ETV, Airtel, Axis Bank, City Bank, Dish TV, DLF.|
MSc Clinical Research Syllabus?
The following table represents the MSc Clinical Research syllabus.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Fundamentals of Clinical Operations||IPR and Data Exclusivity, Bioethics in Clinical Research|
|Clinical data Management||Pre-Clinical Studies|
|Statistics for Clinical Research||Pharmaceutical Biotechnology|
|Basics of Pharmacy, Drug Discovery and Development||Basics of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology|
|Lab Course I and II||Lab Course III and IV|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Regulatory Affairs||Project Management and Business Development|
|Human Biology||Audit and Inspections|
|Special Regulatory Processes||Pharmacovigilance and Safety Monitoring|
|Pharmacogenomics||Reporting and Medical Writing|
|Lab Course V||Project Work|
|Case Studies & Seminar||-|
MSc Clinical Research Books
The followings are the names of some most recommended books for MSc Clinical Research –
|Name of the Book||Name of the Author|
|Drug discovery and Clinical Research||S.K. Gupta|
|Textbook of Clinical Research||Vikas Dhikav|
|Designing Clinical Research||Dr. Stephen B Hulley, Steven R Cummings.|
|Fundamentals of Clinical Trials||Lawrence M. Friedman, Curt D. Furberg|
|Critical Thinking in Clinical Research||Felipe Fregni, Ben M.W. Illigens|
What After MSc Clinical Research?
Having a high market value of this course, there are various different MSc Clinical Research jobs that the students can take up after the course. The students can expect an average salary of INR 3 to 5 LPA at the very start of their careers.
Mostly the sector of MSc Clinical Research jobs are private. The students can establish them in the fields like Pharmaceutical Industry, CROs, SMOs, Hospitals, Educational Institutes, DCGI Office, Research Organizations, and Govt., Drug Regulatory, etc.
After MSc Clinical Research the students can work in the following designation Clinical Research Associate, Clinical research Analyst, Clinical Research Project Manager, Clinical Research professionals, Clinical Research Project Coordinator, and Clinical Research Physician, etc.
Following table highlights the top MSc Clinical Research jobs, along with the description and the average salary.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary (INR)|
|Clinical Research Analyst||Clinical Research Analysts are required to verify and validate the medicines, drugs and other medical products by conducting thorough research works in the lab, hospital, Nursing homes and research buildings. They have to research and prepare reports on the effectiveness, productiveness, and safety of different medicines and drugs in the human body. It is a collaborative team work; they have to work as a team with different medical professionals.||4.32 LPA|
|Clinical Research Associate||Clinical Research Associates are required to present with the Clinical Research Analysts at the spot of the research work. They have to accumulate every minute detail of the research in the field of Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals. They are required to synchronize the current outcome of the research with their future perspective.||4.05 LPA|
|Clinical Research Professor||Clinical Research Professors work in the colleges and different universities and teach Clinical research in various levels. They are the academic experts in this field.||4.09 LPA|
|Clinical Research Project Manager||Clinical Research Project Managers are required to manage and coordinate the whole department of the Clinical Research including the Research Analysts and Research Associates. They are responsible for the development and lifting out of the positive outcome of the different researches.||9.80 LPA|
|Biostatistician||Biostatisticians are the extensive part of any research work. They closely work with the scientific teams and handle the statistics department. They conduct various statistics analysis of the various researches and biological elements. They fulfill the every possible requirement of the scientific teams during the research and make data analysis after getting any result from the researches.||5.85 LPA|
MSc Clinical Research: Salary Trend Graph
The Salary Trend Graph for MSc in Clinical research as follows –
What is the Future Scope of MSc Clinical Research?
MSc Clinical research is a high valued 2 Years’ Post-Graduate Course structure having ample scopes in India as well as in foreign. After completing this course the students can expect various comfortable job roles in this field of Clinical Research such as the Pharmaceutical Industry, CROs, SMOs, Hospitals, Educational Institutes, and DCGI offices, etc.
Since this is a Postgraduate degree, any student wants to pursue an advanced course in the field of Clinical Research, then he or she will be welcomed by PhD in Clinical Research. There are various popular institutes in India offering 3 Years’ Full-Time PhD in Clinical Research.
PhD Clinical Research helps to accelerate the practical skills, knowledge, and analyzing power in the field of Clinical Research. It deals with various real-time researches on medicines and other medical aspects of medicines including safety, effectiveness, and productiveness of medicines in human life. It also encounters the capability of the human bodies to straw the medicine. There are both options i.e. merit-based and entrance-based to get into various colleges and universities with PhD Clinical Research. The average course fee is 90K to 3.60 Lakhs.
Read More: PhD Courses
MSc Clinical Research: FAQs
Ques. Which city has the cheapest public colleges for MSc Clinical Research?
Ques. Which city has the cheapest private colleges for MSc Clinical Research?
Ques. What is the minimum percentage to secure in Graduation to get eligible for MSc Clinical research?
Ques. Is there any relaxation for Sc/St Students during admission in MSc Clinical Research?
Ques. What is the scope of MSc Clinical Research in India?
Ans. MSc Clinical Research has ample scopes in India. After completing this course programme, the students can have opportunities working in different popular companies as –
- Clinical Trial Assistant
- Project Assistant/ Project Associate
- Feasibility Associate/Specialist
- Study Startup Associate/Specialist
- Regulatory Associate/Specialist
- Clinical Research Coordinators
- Project Coordinators
- Clinical Operations Specialist
- Records Management Associate
- Contracts Analyst
- Proposal Developer
- Clinical Data Coordinator
- Safety Associate
- Lab Project Coordinators
- Clinical Support Roles
- Medical Writers and
- Clinical Imaging Associates etc.
Ques. Which is the best college for MSc Clinical Research?
Ques. Is it necessary to complete graduation for MSc Clinical research?
Ques. Can I do MSc Clinical Research after MBBS?
Ques. What can be done after MSc Clinical Research?
Ques. Which is the better field Clinical Practice or Clinical Research?