NMAT Syllabus 2021 is prescribed by GMAC. The official notification for the 2021 exam cycle has not been updated by the institution, but it is expected that the syllabus will remain the same as last year. The NMAT Exam Pattern is similar in structure to other major management level examinations. NMAT Syllabus 2021 Highlights
- NMAT 2021 duration is 120 minutes wherein candidates have to attempt 36 questions in each section.
- NMAT syllabus is divided into 3 broad sections; Language Skills, Quantitative Analysis and Logical Reasoning. Check NMAT 2021 Exam Pattern
- NMAT for the previous exam cycle was considered to be moderate to difficult. Check NMAT Paper Analysis
NMAT Syllabus Highlights
|Number of sections||3|
|Section with highest time limit||Quantitative Skills|
|Section with lowest time limit||Language Skills|
|Compared to CAT syllabus||Same for all 3 sections|
|Topics covered||Language Skills, Quantitative Analysis, Logical Reasoning|
|Preparation time||About 2 to 3 months|
The section-wise detailed syllabus of NMAT are discussed below :
NMAT Syllabus for Quantitative Aptitude -
The important topics of quantitative aptitude are mentioned in below table :
|Number System||Pipes and Cisterns|
|LCM and HCF||Time, speed and distance|
|Surds and Indices||Algebra|
|Problems on Numbers and problems on ages||Geometry (2D and 3D geometry)|
|Percentage||Trigonometry, Height and Distance|
|Profit, loss and discount||Data Interpretation|
|Simple and compound interest||Statistics|
|Time and work||Probability|
Here are the detailed syllabus for Quantitative Aptitude section:
- Arithmetic - Number system, LCM and HCF, Surds and indices, Ratio and proportion, simplification, Average, Percentage, profit, loss and discount, problems on numbers, age calculation, Simple and compound interest, Time and Work, Pipes and cisterns, time, speed and distance, etc.
- Algebra - linear algebra, a system of equations, quadratic equations, sequence and series, permutation and combinations, etc.
- Geometry - Lines, angles, triangles, circle, rhombus, quadrilateral, sphere, rectangle, square, two and three-dimensional geometry, etc.
- Trigonometry - trigonometric ratios, identities, theorems, height and distance, applications of trigonometry, etc.
- Mensuration - area and volume of rectangles, squares, triangles, circles, spheres, cubes, cuboids, cones, cylinders, etc., area of shaded regions, the area under curves, etc.
The syllabus of the quantitative aptitude section is broad but it is a scoring section. Students can score the highest marks in this section with good strategy and practice. Also Check How to prepare for Quantitative Ability in NMAT by GMAC?
NMAT Books for Quantitative Skills
|MBA-NMAT by GMAC Narsee Monjee||Team of Experts||ASIN : B00JQZLW4I|
|Analytical & Logical Reasoning For CAT & Other Management Entrance Tests||Peeyush Bhardwaj||978-9352038541|
|Study Notes Material On NMAT by GMAC (NARSEE MONJEE) Management Aptitude Test||Sourav sir's classes|
NMAT Syllabus for Logical Reasoning
This section is included in the syllabus of the NMAT test to check the general intelligence, logical ability, and decision-making ability of candidates. The important chapters and topics of logical reasoning section is mentioned in below table :
|Coding-Decoding||Statements and arguments|
|Number series||Counting of figures|
|Blood relation||Mirror images and water images|
|Distance and direction||Paper folding and cutting|
|Venn diagram||Figure completion|
|Clock||Cube and dice|
Candidates can score full marks in this section by proper understanding and practice. Check NMAT Logical Skills Preparation Tips
NMAT by GMAC Books for Logical Skills
|The Official Guide for NMAT by GMAC Review 2017||GMAC||978-8126567225|
|A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning||R.S. Aggarwal||978-9352832194|
|MBA (XAT, IIFT, NMAT by GMAC, SNAP, CMAT)||Gautam Puri||978-9389718805|
NMAT syllabus for Language Skills
This section is to check the proficiency and understanding of the English language and its grammatical usages. The syllabus of English language as per the exam pattern are mentioned below :
|Reading Comprehension||Error detection|
|Synonyms and antonyms||Spellings and dictionary meanings|
|Fill in the blanks||Idioms and phrases|
|Jumbling of sentences||Writing ability|
NMAT by GMAC Books for Language Skills
|The Official Guide for NMAT by GMAC Review 2020||GMAC||9788126557738|
|High School English Grammar and Composition Book (Regular Edition)||D, V, Prasada, Rao N||978-9352530144|
|Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis||978-8183071000|
NMAT 2021 Preparation Books
Here are some best-recommended books for NMAT preparation to perform well in the examination. By referring these books students can increase their score in the examination. These books can help students for effective preparation :
|Name of Book||Authors / Publication|
|NMAT by GMAC official guide||GMAC|
|Quantitative Aptitude||Dr. R.S. Aggarwal|
|Quantitative Aptitude for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Master Reasoning||Arihant Publication|
|Logical reasoning and Data interpretation||Nishit K. Sinha|
|Study notes material on NMAT by GMAC||Sourav Sir's Classes|
|General English||S.P. Bakshi|
|General English||Lucent's Publication|
|Made Easy Word Power||Made Easy Publication|
NMAT exam pattern 2021 :
NMAT exam comprises three sections and the exam duration is 2 hours. There are a total of 108 questions in NMAT test all carry 3 marks each, and the total marks are 360. There is no negative marking applicable for wrong answers. No marks will be deducted for unattempted questions. The detailed pattern of exam is mentioned below:
|Section||Number of questions||Allotted time|
|Quantitative Aptitude||36||52 minutes|
|Logical Reasoning||36||40 minutes|
|Language skills||36||28 minutes|
|Total||108||120 minutes (2 hours)|
NMAT preparation strategy :
The students can crack this exam easily by following proper NMAT preparation strategy and with good planning. The important factors to make the preparation effective are as follows :
- Practice - Practice is a key to crack any exam. Students need to practice more questions of all three sections to make their score good. First candidates should analyze the syllabus of all sections and then plan to complete the whole syllabus effectively.
- Maintain speed and accuracy - Speed and accuracy are two important factors by which the students can increase their score by maintaining both. Speed and accuracy can only be increased by practice. Students should solve questions by observing time to maintain speed. Candidates can solve previous year's question papers in the allotted time to check their speed and accuracy.
- Revision - Revision is important to score good marks in the exam. Students should make effective revisions of all the sections through short notes and books. By using handwritten notes students can revise the whole syllabus in minimum time. The students should make notes of all subjects to cover all the topics in minimum time.
- Take mock tests - Mock tests help students to check their strength and weak sections. Students can attempt an online mock test provided by GMAC or any other. By analyzing the score in mock tests students can get an idea about which sections need more effort.
- Time management - Time management is important during preparation. Students should follow a healthy schedule as per your convenience but giving proper time to all the sections is necessary. Students should need to give some time to their hobby, it is important to prepare for exams stress-free. They should take a break of some time between continuous study.
Also Check: Top NMAT by GMAC Coaching Centers
NMAT Syllabus FAQs
Ques. What is the marking scheme of the NMAT test?
Ans. NMAT test comprises a total of 108 questions having 3 marks each. The total marks in the NMAT test are 360. There are no negative marks for wrong answers.
Ques. What is the syllabus of the NMAT test?
Ans. NMAT test includes three sections viz. quantitative aptitude, logical reasoning, and English language skills.
Ques. Is the NMAT test as tough as CAT?
Ans. No, CAT is a tough exam as compared to NMAT but candidates can crack it easily with good preparation strategy and hard work.
Ques. What are the best resources for NMAT test preparation?
Ans. There are various sources of preparation of NMAT teat effectively. Students can refer to NMAT by GMAC official guide, Quantitative Aptitude, Quantitative Aptitude for CAT, Master Reasoning, Logical reasoning and Data Interpretation, and Study notes material on NMAT by GMAC for better preparation and they should follow e- learning platforms also.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.