Get $150 Scholarship!

Jobs for International Students in UK- Work Permit and Salary

Abhijeet Singh Abhijeet Singh
Content Curator

Jobs for International students in the UK are possible only if they apply for Tier 1, 2 or 5 Visa post studies. There are some conditions, however, to be able to work in the UK-

  • An international graduate must get paid at least $27,290 per year, if not, they may be asked to leave the country
  • Find a job within four months after completion of the course

After studying in the UK, international students can find a job or pursue the following options:

  • Pursue postgraduate degree
  • Take a gap year
  • Pursue PhD
  • Become self-employed

Job Market for International Students in the UK          

The job market of UK is competitive adhering to the global standards. Major industries with jobs for international students in UK are-Agriculture, Production, and Services.

Major services include metals, chemicals, aerospace, shipbuilding, textiles and clothing, motor vehicles, food processing and electronic and communications equipment.   

Popular graduate jobs in the UK are in the following fields:

  • Consulting
  • Oil and Energy
  • Law
  • Retail
  • Armed Forces
  • Investment Banking
  • Accounting and professional services
  • Armed Forces

Average Salary in the UK for Top 10 courses

Course and universityAverage salary (in USD)
Engineering and Technology-Havering College of Further and Higher Education56,678
Computer Science-Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine52,348
Medicine and Dentistry-Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine47,888
Medicine and Dentistry-University of Brighton47,756
Medicine and Dentistry-University of Warwick47,494
Medicine and Dentistry-University of Southampton47,363
Medicine and Dentistry-King’s College London47,232
Medicine and Dentistry-University of Liverpool47,100
Medicine and Dentistry-University of Hull47,100
Economics-London School of Economics and Political Science47,100

Work in the UK for Foreigners

The UK is a safe place to work in and has a low crime rate. Jobs for International students are plenty after graduating. However, they have to apply for Tier 2 visa which will allow them to stay for up to 5 years.

Remember to take up a job where the employer has a license to sponsor employee’s application to stay in the UK for work.

The permissible hours of work in the UK for foreigners are pre-determined.

  • The working hours are mentioned on visa sticker or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).
  • The time limit depends on the most recent immigration application.
  • If the employer is not from the UK, then the number of hours an employee can work for is 10-20 hours per week.

Top companies that hire international students in the UK

Name of the organizationGraduate level posts
PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)530
Ernst and Young230

Post Study Work Visas for International Graduate Students in the UK

Getting a work visa in the UK after graduation depends on your nationality, the level course studied in the UK, and if your studies are completed or not.

Main work visa options for non-EU students in the UK-

  • Tier-2 (General) Visa options (for full time and part time work)
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker-Government Authorized Exchange) visa (for work experience or professional training)- It allows students to work in the UK for up to 12 or 24 months depending on the scheme applied for.   
  • Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Visa (for MBA and other UK graduates who have been identified by Higher Education Institutes in the UK after graduation to establish at least one business in the UK).

Know What is General Student Visa (Tier 4)

Applying for a National Insurance Number

International students need a National Insurance Number to work the UK. You can apply for National Insurance Number if you have the right to work in UK and are looking for your own business opportunities. Paying National Insurance makes you entitled to a few state benefits including the State Pension and the NHS (healthcare)

Post-graduation in the UK

To opt for Master programs in the UK, you have to extend your Tier 4 student visa 6 months before entering the new course.  

Students who want fewer years of study may opt for intensive academic programmes. Some degree programs of less than a year are:

  • Masters in Computer Science
  • Masters in International Relations
  • Masters in Psychology
  • Masters in Business Administration
  • Masters in Journalism

Ph.D. in the UK  

Full-time Ph.D. lasts for three or four years while part-time Ph.D. duration is six or seven months. Students can enroll themselves in September or October for PhDs. Master’s degree may or may not be required in the UK depending upon the program chosen.

For admissions to PhD degree in most of the universities in the UK, you can apply directly to universities through UCAS anytime throughout the year.      

Moving back to home country after graduation

Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme

International students moving back to their home country after graduation are eligible. It allows them to work for up to 2 years in the UK.

Students must be 18-30 years old and must be from Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, Republic of Korea or Taiwan. They must have 2,479 USD to apply.

Looking for Admissions here? or need Help?Register Now