What is BSc MLT Course?
Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology or BSc MLT is an undergraduate course of 3-year, which is divided into six years (two semesters per year). In this course professionals are taught about various aspects of health care. The students perform various diagnostic analysis on body fluids, which include haematology, bacteriology, immunologic, chemical and microscopic during the course. The subjects taught in the program are Clinical Endocrinology & Toxicology Lab, Diagnostic Molecular Biology Lab, Diagnostic Cytology etc.
Know More About Medical Courses
The candidates need to secure a minimum pass percentage in their 10+2 examination in science stream with PCMB as compulsory subjects to be eligible for the BSc MLT course.
See Also: BSc MLT Colleges in IndiaThe colleges and universities that offer BSc MLT courses provide admissions to the students on the basis of entrance examination conducted by the individual institute and some private institutions also provide direct admissions to the students.
The BSc MLT course fees may vary from one college to another. The average fees of the course ranges from INR 10,000 to 4 Lakhs per annum.
Here are some of the top colleges and universities which offers MA (Clinical Psychology) degree program according to their NIRF 2021 ranking survey:
|NIRF Overall Ranking 2021||COLLEGE||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEES||ADMISSION PROCESS||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|14||Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, Karnataka||INR 1.20 Lakh||Entrance based||INR 5.25 Lakhs|
|37||Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 1.45 Lakh||Entrance based||INR 6 Lakhs|
|38||Siksha ‘O’ Anusandhan University, Bhubaneswar, Orissa||INR 85,000||Entrance based||INR 3 Lakhs|
|50||King’s George Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh||INR 73,000||Entrance based||INR 19.2 Lakhs|
|58||SRM Institute of Technology, Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu||INR 55,000||Entrance based||INR 3.6 Lakhs|
The job opportunities in this field depends on the basis of academic and technical skills of the technologist or technician. Candidates can work as Medical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Laboratory Technician, Phlebotomist, Clinical Laboratory Technologist, Medical Laboratory Technologist, Lab Technologist, Biochemist, Medical Phlebotomist etc.
The main objective of the course is to teach the various testing methods that are followed while conducting tests without any errors such as blood test, blood typing, urine analysis and other tests. The course offers a study of diagnosing the disease by utilizing a clinical laboratory.
|Top BSc MLT Colleges in Delhi||Top BSc MLT Colleges in Karnataka||Top BSc MLT Colleges in Tamil Nadu||Top BSc MLT Colleges in Uttar Pradesh|
It is also based on reports required to treat with the best medical procedures and facilities. In the modern era of medical science, treatment has completely relied on the tests performed in the laboratory.
The average annual salary in these roles ranges from INR 2 Lakhs to 6 Lakhs per annum and the salary keeps on increasing with experience and expertise.
The graduates of BSc MLT degree programs have a huge scope of securing a career in various fields after the completion of the course. A talented MLT graduate can earn a challenging profession in any of the public or private sector hospitals like, blood donor centres, emergency centres, laboratories, and so on.
BSc MLT Course Highlights
Listed below are some key highlights of Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology course:
|Course||B.Sc. (Medical Laboratory Technology)|
|Full form||Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology|
|Eligibility||50% in 10+2 from any Recognized Education Board|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam and Merit-Based|
|Average tuition fees||INR 10K - 4L per annum|
|Job Positions||Medical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Laboratory Technician, Phlebotomist, Clinical Laboratory Technologist, Medical Laboratory Technologist, Lab Technologist, Biochemist, Medical Phlebotomist etc.|
|Average salary||INR 2L - 6L per annum|
What is BSc MLT Course Admission Process?
Admission to the BSc MLT course is usually entrance based but some colleges and universities grant direct admission for this course. The marks obtained in the qualifying examinations are considered for the purpose of offering admission to the students.
- After successfully applying for admission to the respective colleges, candidates will be asked to appear for the selection processes as defined by each individual college.
- Prior to the selection process, the medical universities/colleges will release the appropriate merit lists containing the names of the candidates along with their ranks, which would be calculated based on the previous academic records.
- The medical college/institutions will then call the students for counselling rounds, where each candidate will be able to select the course and college of their choice.
- Depending on the rank of the candidate as per the merit list, their preferred choice of college/university and the availability of seats in the preferred choices, the medical college/university will offer admission to the aspirant.
Related Subjects: BMLT Course
- After applying for the required entrance test, as per the regulations of the respective colleges, candidates must appear for the entrance test on the stipulated date and time.
- After attempting the entrance exam, the conducting body will release the appropriate merit list containing the name of the candidates along with their scores and ranks.
- Unlike other disciplines, medical institutions depend on counselling processes to offer admissions to the candidates.
- Based on the ranks and the scores of the aspirants as per the entrance test and the merit lists prepared by the institution, each candidate will be asked to appear for the counselling processes conducted by the authorised body.
- At the counselling centre, candidates will be asked to select their preferred course and college/university.
- The medical college/institution will offer admission to the courses based purely on ranks and scores obtained by the applicants in the entrance examination, the course & college chosen and the availability of seats in the preferred choices.
See Also: DMLT Course
BSc MLT Course Eligibility Criteria
Students who wish to pursue BSc MLT course must meet up with the following eligibility criteria. The minimum marks required in 12th class may vary from one college to another college.
- The basic eligibility criteria of the BSc MLT course is that the candidates should have qualified their 10+2 in the area of Science with mandatory subjects such as Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- The candidate should pass their 10+2 with a minimum aggregate of 50% or equivalent from the recognized education board.
See Also: MSc MLT Course
BSc MLT Course Entrance Exams
Admission to BSc MLT is either entrance based or merit based. In an entrance-based method, students are required to qualify an entrance examination in order to seek admission in any concerned college or university. Some of the top entrance exams conducted in order to shortlist students for admission into BSc MLT course is given below:
- JEE Mains - The full form of JEE is the Joint Entrance Examination. It is a national level entrance examination conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) twice in a year. The duration of the exam is 3 hours i.e., 180 minutes and each correct answer consists of +4 mark & -1 mark for wrong Answers.
- JEE Advanced - Joint Entrance Exam [JEE] Advanced, formerly known as Indian Institutes of Technology-Joint Entrance Examination is an entrance examination conducted across India for admission to a wide number of educational institutions and colleges. JEE Advanced is one of the toughest exams to crack. Top institutes like IITs, NITs, IIITs, etc provide admissions to students on the basis of their performance in JEE Advanced. The candidates get 3 hours to solve all the questions.
- JNUEE - The full form of JNUEE is Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Examination. JNUEE 2021 will be conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA). It is a University level exam which will be held to offer admissions in various fields of Engineering, Law, Science, Humanity, etc. JNU. Through this exam, candidates will get admission into various UG and PG courses. It is mandatory to qualify JNUEE to get admissions in various courses offered by JNU.
See Also: Top Engineering Exams in India
Some of the top Exams with important dates are mentioned in the table below:
|EXAM NAME||EXAM DATE||APPLICATION DATE||EXAM MODE||CONDUCTING BODY|
|JEE Mains||February 23-26, 2021||December 16, 2020 – January 16, 2021||Online||National Testing Agency|
|JEE Advanced||September 27, 2020, October 8, 2020||September 11, 2020 – October 6, 2020||Online||By all the ITs|
|JNUEE||May 11, 2020 – May 14, 2020||March 2, 2020 – March 31, 2020||Online||Jawaharlal Nehru University|
How to prepare for BSc MLT Course entrance exam?
The most important for a student is to decide factors responsible for succeeding in any entrance exam is to be well aware of the latest exam pattern. Here are some tips that all the candidates should follow while preparing for the entrance exam of BSc MLT:
- Aspirants should make a proper study plan so that they can prepare well before the examination and score good marks.
- Knowing the syllabus is very important which helps students to keep focused on essential topics and key points during the time of examination.
- Candidates need to practice and revise more before the exams so that it will help them to remember the topics studied earlier so that it reduces unnecessary pressure on the day of the examination.
- Having a test preparation book for your entrance exam can help to familiarize you with what types of questions will be asked in the exam, how they are worded, and what exam scorers are looking for in answers.
- One of the best ways to help you prepare for the entrance exam is to take practice versions of it. This has many benefits like you will become familiar with the question wording and style, you will be able to narrow what kind of information might show up on your entrance exam, you will have a control against which you can measure your progress as you continue to study and prepare for the exam.
Check Out: Top BE/BTech Exams in India
How to Get Admission in a Good BSc MLT Course college?
To get admission in the best college of Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology you should keep some important points in your mind. So here are some tips for getting into the college of your choice:
- Students should use their application essay as a chance to show their personality in front of the admission officer.
- It's important to make every effort to visit each school that your child is interested in. Not only will you get a feel for campus life, but you'll be expressing your interest in the school as well as have an opportunity to ask important questions.
- Along with the essay, an interview is another way for a student to convey his/her personality to admissions officers.
- Take advantage of college fairs and other opportunities to collect information about different colleges/universities because many institutions will keep track of the students who seek out information, updating their files every time prospective candidates make a campus visit or take a tour.
- Be updated with the deadlines of filling the application forms through websites, newspapers and magazines.
See Also: List of All Science Courses
Why Study BSc MLT?
Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology is one of the perfect courses for those students who want to make themselves comfortable in the medical field because in this course the graduates will go through the required training and gain the required skill set to work efficiently.
- Medical Science is one of the finest and most in-demand courses joined by candidates with an interest in the healthcare sector.
- Medical lab technicians play a crucial role in the functioning of any medical activity.
- BSc MLT syllabus consists of subjects that equip candidates with the skills required to handle advanced equipment so as to perform accurate laboratory tests.
- This degree course empowers the students to go for various educational, hospitals, governmental as they can run laboratory, consultancy services, health care centres.
- This enables the degree holder to go for higher degree programs in respective subjects for a master’s degree and then further studies.
BSc MLT Course Comparison
The basic difference between BSc MLT and DMLT programs are provided in the table below for the aspirants to understand the differences between these two courses:
|Full form||Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology||Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology|
|Overview||Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology provides training to aspirants about various operations, treatments, and preventions of diseases that are carried out in the clinical laboratories.||Students who are interested in investigating and diagnosing of the various elements which are related to the prevention and cure of the disease can pursue the Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology Course.|
|Eligibility||50% in 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology as compulsory subjects.||45-50% marks in 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as compulsory subjects.|
|Admission process||Entrance exam/Merit-Based||Entrance exam/Merit-Based|
|Average annual fees||INR 10K - 4L per annum||INR 20,000-80,000|
|Job positions||Medical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Laboratory Technician, Phlebotomist, Clinical Laboratory Technologist, Medical Laboratory Technologist, Lab Technologist, Biochemist, Medical Phlebotomist etc.||Lab Assistant, Health Care Assistant, Laboratory System Analyst, Health and Safety Assistant, Educational Consultant, Hospital Outreach Co-Ordinator etc.|
|Average annual salary||INR 2L - 6L per annum||INR 20,000-80,000|
BSc MLT Top Colleges
B.Sc. (Medical Laboratory Technology) course is offered by many top colleges and universities across the country. We have enlisted some of the top college/universities offering this course with several other details.
BSc MLT College Comparison
A comparison has been made among some of the top colleges offering Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology course in the table given below. The comparison is based on the parameters like NIRF 2021 ranking, admission process, annual fees, average salary, and top recruiters.
|Parameter||Manipal Academy of Higher Education||Siksha ‘O’ Anusandhan University||Jamia Hamdard University|
|Overview||The Manipal Academy of Higher Education [MAHE], formerly known as Manipal University, was established in 1953 and is located in Manipal, Karnataka. MAHE has branches in Bengaluru, Mangalore, Sikkim, and Jaipur. MAHE also has international branches in Antigua, Nepal, Dubai, and Malaysia. Every year, for the MAHE admission, students from all over the country visit the campus. More than 300 programs are offered by the Manipal University.||Siksha 'O' Anusandhan University is one of the major institutions of higher and good quality of learning. SOAU is aiming to mould future generations through innovative research and studies. It is a deemed to be University course in different fields. It is equipped with all the modern pieces of equipment which help in the better interface between the teachers and students.||Jamia is deemed to be a university accredited by NAAC with an ‘A' grade. Jamia Hamdard University offers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in Information Technology, Computer Applications, Physiotherapy, and Occupational Therapy. Doctoral programmes in several disciplines are also available.|
|NIRF 2021 ranking||14||38||37|
|Location||Manipal, Karnataka||Bhubaneswar, Orissa||New Delhi, Delhi NCR|
|Admission process||Entrance based||Entrance based||Entrance based|
|Average annual fees||INR 1.20 Lakh||INR 85,000||INR 85,000|
|Average annual package||INR 5.25 Lakhs||INR 3 Lakhs||INR 6 Lakhs|
|Top recruiters||TCS, Wipro, ICICI Bank, HCL Technologies, Accenture, WNS Global, Lupin, NIIT, Torrent, HP Global, Escorts etc.||Deloitte, IBM, Wipro, Amazon, Hyatt, TCS, Hilton, Infosys, Tech Mahindra, Microsoft, Capgemini, OYO Rooms, Mahindra Rise etc.||Mahindra & Mahindra, TCS, Accenture, Wipro, Quark Media, Cipla Limited, Birla soft, Maruti, Newgen, Max New York Life, WNS Global etc.|
BSc MLT Syllabus
B.Sc. (Medical Laboratory Technology) course syllabus is divided into 6 semesters, teaching subjects like are Clinical Endocrinology & Toxicology Lab, Diagnostic Molecular Biology Lab, Diagnostic Cytology etc. Tabulated below is a semester-wise syllabus of the course.
|SEMESTER 1||SEMESTER 2|
|Human Anatomy I||Human Anatomy II|
|Human Physiology-I||Human Physiology II|
|Health Education & Health Communication||Bio-Medical Waste Management|
|PC Software Lab||Human Anatomy-II|
|Human Anatomy-I Lab||Practical: Human Physiology-II|
|Human Physiology-I Lab||Practical: Biochemistry-I|
|Biochemistry-I Lab||Communication Lab|
|SEMESTER 3||SEMESTER 4|
|Pathology-I||Pathology - II|
|Clinical Haematology-I||Clinical Haematology-II|
|Immunology & Serology-I||Immunology & Serology-II|
|Histopathology & Histotechniques -I||Histopathology & Histotechniques -II|
|Clinical Haematology-I Lab||Clinical Haematology-II Lab|
|Microbiology, Immunology & Serology - I Lab||Microbiology, Immunology & Serology – II Lab|
|Histopathology & Histotechniques -I Lab||Histopathology & Histotechniques -II Lab|
|SEMESTER 5||SEMESTER 6|
|Immunohematology & Blood Banking||Clinical Endocrinology &Toxicology|
|Clinical Enzymology & Automation||Advanced Diagnostic Techniques|
|Parasitology & Virology||Diagnostic Molecular Biology|
|Diagnostic Cytology||Clinical Endocrinology & Toxicology Lab|
|Principles of Lab Management & Medical Ethics||Advanced Diagnostic Techniques Lab|
|Clinical Enzymology Lab||Diagnostic Molecular Biology Lab|
|Parasitology & Virology Lab||Internship Project|
|Diagnostic Cytology Lab|
BSc MLT Scope
The scope of this course is very wide and after B.Sc. (Medical Laboratory Technology) course, candidates can get so many best opportunities in many fields anywhere in the world. The scopes after this course are:
- A career in Medical Laboratory Technology field is one of the most challenging and satisfying careers in today's market. Every day, a technician/ technologist gets to learn something new, which is great for their career.
- A number of Medical Laboratory Technicians can find employment in pathology labs, research labs, urologist offices, pharmaceuticals, hospitals and in many other areas.
- Apart from the above opportunities, an aspirant can also pursue a career in the education line as lecturer/teacher.
- With the passing years, the course has multiplied in terms of what a student learns during the course, thereby multiplying the scope as well and the scope has expanded with a number of opportunities have been on the rise.
- The Medical Laboratory Technology field includes areas such as blood banking, clinical chemistry, haematology, immunology, microbiology, cytotechnology, urine analysis, and blood sampling, etc. There are ‘n’ number of fields that can serve as suitable career options for the graduates.
B.Sc. in MLT provides ample job opportunities in the Healthcare sector. Every hospital and healthcare sector needs clinical lab technicians to detect problems and diseases causing the patients hence it is creating more job opportunities for the graduates of B.Sc. in MLT. Medical Laboratory Technology professions have a positive impact on people’s health. Some of the jobs that are offered for B.Sc. in MLT graduates are:
- CT scan technicians
- Pathology Technician
- MRI technicians
- Optical Laboratory Technician
- X-ray Technicians
- Dental Machine Technician
- Radiology Technician
- Laboratory Technician
- Laboratory Manager
- Medical Officer
- Research Associate
- Medical Record Technician
- Resident Medical Officer
- Lab Assistant
- Laboratory Testing Manager
BSc MLT Salary
We have Listed some of the popular job positions offered to successful graduates of the discipline along with the corresponding job descriptions and average annual salaries offered to the graduates of B.Sc. (Medical Laboratory Technology):
|JOBS||DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|Medical Record Technician||A Medical Record Technician maintains medical records operations by following policies and procedures, reporting needed changes, they initiate medical record by searching master patient index, they ensure medical record availability by routing records to emergency departments.||INR 4.3 Lakhs|
|Medical Officer||Medical Officers responsibilities are to overseeing the medical care of patients and the functions performed by medical staff, they may participate directly in care when services are being initially implemented, they help assess and diagnose needs and plans of action for individual and families.||INR 5.12 Lakhs|
|Laboratory Manager||The lab manager's responsibility involves, to conduct testing in timely manner, personally reviewing any abnormal results to find the root of the irregularity. The laboratory quality manager also hires and manages staffs, ensuring that all employees are receiving proper training or not.||INR 2.41 Lakhs|
|Lab Assistant||A lab assistant takes notes, record data, and results, and organize documentation, transfer data and results from notes and records to computer formats, organize and maintain lab storage, samples, lab assistant follow all health and safety regulations when handling laboratory specimens, they identify and label samples, and prepare equipment and workspace.||INR 2.07 Lakhs|
QUES. Is distance education in B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Technology is valid for government sector?
ANS. Yes, distance education in B.Sc. MLT is valid for the government sector.
QUES. Which has more scope- B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Technology or B.Sc. MIT?
ANS. Both have good scope. B.Sc. in MLT is challenging since there is an increase in the lab technician jobs and requires more skills. Whereas image technician is not seen in each hospital but they are paid well compared to B.Sc. MLT.
QUES. After BSc MLT, which course is best?
ANS. After BSC MLT you can do MSc in MLT and after that preparation for PET exam and then you can do PhD in the relevant field and can become a professor or u can say Dr. and can become a professional.
QUES. Which is better, BSc biotech or BSc MLT in India?
ANS. BSc in biotechnology is the best to study in India because it is now developing and at a high level. Medical lab technology is a new field in India, and for biotechnology in India there are many colleges affording the BSc in Biotech and teaching is best in colleges also. At the other hand, a B.Sc. in MLT is a new subject in India and very few colleges are available regarding B.Sc. MLT. In biotechnology government would also provide scholarship.
QUES. Can I join an MSc in forensic after a BSc MLT?
ANS. Yes, you can. You should contact Admission cell Chandigarh University.
QUES. I have completed a BSc in MLT. Which one is a better option after BSc MLT, a MSc in microbiology or a MSC in pathology?
ANS. MLT is a course that is more job oriented, pursuing a higher education in above mentioned subject after BSc MLT may not be more productive. Well, plant pathology has more wider scope than human pathology but in according to above microbiology may be more productive than pathology. Pursue MSc in the same (or in clinical microbiology/clinical biochemistry as per interest). And go for national/state eligibility test to become a lecturer/assistant professor.
QUES. I am a student pursuing a BSc MLT and I am planning to pursue a MSc in microbiology in India. Which are the best universities for this course?
ANS. Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi University, Mumbai University, Banaras Hindu University etc.
QUES. What is the scope of a BSc in MLT?
ANS. Depending upon one’s training and qualification, MLT professionals may work as technologists or technicians at medical laboratories. One may start off by working as technician. After gaining work experience, one can rise through the posts and even become lab manager.
QUES. Is a BSc MLT a good course?
ANS. BSc MLT is a good course as the course is diversifying with new technologies in the respective fields and with adverse career opportunities and a person can have a secure job in private as well as public healthcare sectors, diagnostic centres as well as laboratories.
QUES. Can I get a government job after studying for a BSc MLT in Assam Down Town University?
ANS. Yes, you can surely get a government, because you only need to be graduate degree for most of the government jobs. The college and university do not matter. So just find your interest and start preparing for it, work hard and you will definitely get success in getting a good government job.