The top law colleges in Assam include popular names like Mangaldai Law College, Tezpur Law College, etc. These colleges are ranked by some of the good ranking agencies in India.
- There are 5 public and 13 private law colleges in Assam. These colleges offer legal education in 7 specializations apart from the general stream.
- These colleges are approved by multiple bodies and authorities like the Bar Council of India (BCI), UGC, NAAC, AIU, and MHRD.
- The law courses offered by the top law colleges in Assam include LLB, LLM and PhD in Law.
Top Law Colleges in Assam: Rankings
Various ranking agencies release the list of top law colleges in India on the basis of different parameters every year. These rankings are based on parameters like Perception of the University, Teacher-Student Ratio, Placement Reports, Faculty Quality and many more. Many ranking agencies release separate ranking lists for Private Law colleges and Government Law colleges.
Ranking agencies like NIRF, Indiatoday, SuccessCDs, The Week and Outlook also release rankings in different categories including state-wise and city-wise. Given below are some of these ranking lists released for top law colleges in Assam.
Top Law Colleges in Assam: NIRF Ranking
NIRF or the National Institutional Ranking Framework is the ranking agency supported by the government of India. The agency hasn’t named any law college from Assam in its list of top law colleges in India. However some of the top law colleges in Assam are mentioned in the overall university list released by NIRF. These are mentioned below.
|College Name||NIRF All India Rank 2019||NIRF All India Rank 2018||Change||Average Annual Fee|
|Tezpur University||48||46||-2||INR 32,500|
|Gauhati University||65||61||-4||INR 17,000|
- Tezpur University ranks as the best college in Assam. It has, however, seen a drop of 2 positions in its rank this year.
- The list of top colleges in India also included IIT Guwahati, but it doesn’t offer any law courses.
The top law colleges in Assam have not managed to feature in any other popular list for the top law colleges in India.
Top Law Colleges in Assam: Cutoff
Many top LLB and LLM colleges in Assam accept the score of CLAT exam. Dibrugarh University conducts Dibrugarh University Entrance Exam for admissions. The cut off scores accepted by these colleges vary from institute to institute.
- The CLAT cutoff for BA LLB (Hons) course at National Law University and Judicial Academy (NLUJAA), Guwahati was 41,958 in 2018. This one was far more when compared to that released in 2017.
- For LLM, the cutoff was 947.
The chart below compares some of these cutoffs.
Source: Official Website
Top Law Colleges in Assam: Fee Structure
The following table shows the fee structure of some of the best law colleges in Assam. These fees are mentioned for the BA LLB course.
|College Name||Average Annual Fee|
|Tezpur University||INR 32,000|
|NEF Law College||INR 55,000|
|NLUJAA Guwahati||INR 1,84,000|
|JB Law College, Guwahati||INR 13,5000|
Top Law Colleges in Assam: Admission Process
The total of 18 colleges is made up of 13 private and 5 government law colleges in Assam, and their ratio is shown in the chart below. These colleges also offer degree courses, diplomas as well as certificate courses in law.
Source: Official Survey
Admissions are conducted mainly through CLAT and on merit-basis, apart from DUEE mentioned above in the cut off section. These colleges are affiliated by different bodies, the details of which are given in the table below.
|Approving Body||No. of Colleges Affiliated/Approved|
Tezpur University, Tezpur
Tezpur University, Tezpur is the best law college in Assam and is ranked 48th among all the top colleges in India for the various courses it offers.
- The institute has also been ranked as the best college in Assam for the learning experience.
- Established in 1994, it is a Central University and is one of the best law colleges in North East India.
- Tezpur University has established the Department of Law in the 2016-17 session with the objective of making it a vibrant centre of legal education.
- Currently, only LLM course is offered at Tezpur University, Tezpur.
- The university has proposed to start subsequently the 5-year BA LLB (Hons), PG Diploma in Law and PhD programmes.
Gauhati University, Guwahati
Gauhati University, Guwahati is the most popular Law college in Assam with one of the most efficient teaching faculty.
- It is the oldest university in North-East India and was established in 1948.
- The Department of Law established in the year 1976 is the premier centre for advanced legal studies and research in North-east India.
- The institute offers quality legal education from LLM degree to PhD.
- Admissions in Gauhati University are done through different entrance tests conducted by the university.
|Top Law Colleges in Delhi NCR||Top Law Colleges in Bangalore|
|Top Law Colleges in Kolkata||Top Law Colleges in Odisha|
Top Law Colleges in Assam: Entrance Exam Wise
Admissions in Assam Law colleges are done mainly through entrance exams like CLAT and on the basis of merit.
- Dibrugarh University conducts its own entrance test called Dibrugarh University Entrance Test (DUEE).
- This exam is organized for both UG and postgraduate law courses in Assam.
- Top universities like Tezpur University and Gauhati University admit students mainly on the basis of merit in their past education only.
The specialization you choose matters very much in the case of law education also. Click on the links below to check the top law colleges in Assam specialization wise.
- Top Law Colleges in Assam for Civil Law
- Top Law Colleges in Assam for Human Rights
- Top Law Colleges in Assam for Corporate Law
- Top Law Colleges in Assam for Criminal Law
- Top Law Colleges in Assam for Intellectual Property Law
Top Law Colleges in Assam: FAQs
Ques. Which college is best for Law in Assam?
Ans. Some of the top law colleges in Assam are:
- Assam University, Silchar
- Tezpur University, Tezpur
- Gauhati University, Guwahati
- NEF Law College, Guwahati
- Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh
Ques. How many law colleges are there offering UG in Assam?
Ans. There are 12 top law colleges in Assam for LLB. These include:
- Mangaldai Law College, Marigaon
- Tezpur Law College, Sonitpur
- Jorhat Law College, Jorhat
- NEF Law College, Guwahati
Ques. What is the cost of doing a law course in Assam?
Ans. The cost of a law education differs from institute to institute. The average cost of studying in the top LLB colleges in Assam is INR 30,000-2,00,000.
Ques. Is there LLB in Gauhati University, Guwahati?
Ans. It offers only Postgraduate Law courses.
Ques. Which private law college in Assam is best?
Ans. Tezpur University, Tezpur is the best private college for law in Assam.