The top medical colleges in Kerala include leading colleges like Government Medical College, Amrita School of Medicine, T.D Medical College, and a few other private medical colleges. These colleges offer various Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Doctoral level programs.
- There are 108 medical colleges in Kerala including private and public medical colleges.
- All of the top medical colleges in Kerala offer full-time courses in the medical field, yet one college offers correspondence education.
- Mahatma Gandhi University, Calicut University, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences are ranked as top medical colleges in India by NIRF.
Top Medical Colleges in Kerala: Rankings
Various ranking agencies like India Today, The Week, NIRF and QS release varied ranking lists based on different parameters like Placements, Perception, Faculty, Facilities, Infrastructure, etc. Mentioned below are a few colleges ranked in Top Medical Colleges in India by different ranking agencies.
Top Medical Colleges in Kerala: India Today Ranking
India Today is one of the leading business magazines in India. Below mentioned colleges are ranked in the list of top Medical colleges by India Today:
Amrita School of Medicine
Mahatma Gandhi University
- India Today has ranked Amrita School of Medicine 31 out of 50 in the medical (National) field.
- Amrita School of Medicine has also been ranked 115 in the category of Science (National).
Top Medical Colleges in Kerala: QS World University Ranking
- University of Kerala has been ranked 48 by the QS World University Ranking agency.
- The university is one of the oldest universities established in 1937.
- Earlier named as University of Travancore and later renamed as the University of Kerala.
- In 2018, the University was ranked 30th by NIRF.
Top Medical Colleges in Kerala: ROI (Return on Investment)
Return on Investment (ROI) matters a lot in the field of Medical, as the cost of education is expensive. ROI tells how profitable it is to pursue specific programs from a certain university/college. Somewhat, it is a comparison of the investment and returns after placements. The following are the Medical colleges in Kerala, according to ROI:
Average Annual Fees
Average Placement Package
Dr. Somervell Memorial CSI Medical College and Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram
KMCT Medical College
Amrita School of Medicine
Karuna Medical College
Dr. Somervell Memorial CSI Medical College and Hospital is considered as the best medical college hospital in Kerala as it provides a placement package of INR 22 LPA.
Top Medical Colleges in Kerala: Admission Process
108 medical colleges in Kerala provide students with quality education along with varied skills in their specialized domains. There are 74 private colleges and 34 public medical colleges in Kerala. The diagram below can help you understand the same:
Amrita School of Medicine, Kochi
The school of medicine was set up in 2002 as a constituent of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham. The medical school offers Undergraduate and postgraduate programs in the field of medicine.
- The process for admissions to varied courses is through the NEET exam, which is conducted by the National Testing Agency.
- Along with a valid rank in NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test), the student must have 60% marks in 10+2 in the medical stream with English as a compulsory subject.
- For Postgraduate programs in medicine like PG Diploma, students must stand a good rank in NEET PG.
Government Medical College, Kozhikode
As one of the top medical colleges in Kerala, Government Medical College offers quality education in the field of Medicine, Homeopathy and Allied Sciences.
- Students aspiring to get admitted to GMC must appear for NEET for admissions to varied courses.
- The student along with eligible rank must have scored a maximum of 50% and a minimum of 45% marks in 10+2 in Medical Stream with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as their main subjects.
Read More: Kerala MBBA Fee structure
TD Medical College, Alappuzha
The college offers Undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the medical field via programs like MBBS, B.Pharm, MD, and many more.
- NEET and NEET PG are the two exams accepted for admissions to undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the field of Medical at T.D Medical College.
- It is the 1st Medical college in the state which was started under Private Management.
- The institute admits a total of 380 students annually to fill up UG and PG seats in various courses. Given below is the seat distribution of various streams:
Top Medical Colleges in Kerala: Entrance Exam Wise
Top Medical Colleges in Kerala participate in NEET for admissions to varied undergraduate and postgraduate medical programs. There are a few private universities that accept NEET but conduct their respective examinations and others accept admissions based on Merit.
- The examination is conducted in the offline mode and has a duration of 3 hours.
- NEET Rank is accepted by 33 Medical colleges in Kerala and across India, 300+ medical colleges accept the examination for admissions.
The below-mentioned table displays different Medical Entrance Exams that are preferred for admission in top Medical colleges in Kerala.
Top Medical Colleges in Kerala Accepting NEET Rank
NEET PG is the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for Post Graduation, which is the only entrance examination to various MD/ MS and PG Diploma courses in India. Whereas NEET is for admissions to undergraduate courses in Medical Sciences. For the NEET-PG examination, there is no upper limit of the attempts you take to appear for the examination.
Following are a few colleges that accept the NEET rank:
- TD Medical college
- University of Kerala
- Amrita School Of Medicine
Top Medical Colleges in Kerala: Specialization Wise
The stream in Medical you choose matters a lot and depends on the college as various colleges have reputations for specific streams. Given below is a brief about the same:
Top Medical Colleges in Kerala for Anesthesia
B.Sc in Anaesthesia Technology is a 3-year full-time undergraduate degree course. The eligibility for this course is the 12th or equivalent examination in the Science stream with a minimum of 45% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. The average course fee offered by a majority of the institutes for candidates who wish to pursue a B.Sc in Anaesthesia Technology ranges from INR 25,000 to 41,500 per year.
The candidates can get admission to the institutes offering B.Sc. in Anaesthesia Technology program through an entrance examination and a screening test.
Top Medical Colleges in Kerala for Pathology
MD Pathology is a postgraduate degree in medicine and diagnostics/ the study of disease. The eligibility for this course is MBBS Degree from an institution recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI) with minimum aggregate marks as required by the institute. This specialty addresses the main 3 components of disease – cause, mechanism of development or origin, consequences of changes.
- Top Medical Colleges in Kerala for Anesthesia
- Top Medical Colleges in Kerala for Pathology
- Top Medical Colleges in Kerala for Medical Laboratory Technology
- Top Medical Colleges in Kerala for Ayurved
|Top Medical Colleges in Tamil Nadu||Top Medical Colleges in Karnataka|
|Top Medical Colleges in Andhra Pradesh||Top Medical Colleges in Bangalore|
Top Medical Colleges in Kerala: FAQs
Ques. Which is the biggest medical college in Kerala?
Ans. Government Medical College in Thiruvananthapuram is one of the biggest Medical Colleges in Kerala. The college is also known as Thiruvananthapuram Medical College.
Ques. Is MBBS a great career option?
Ans. It is a great career option after class 12th. There are umpteen opportunities available in this field. It is the professional field with 100% job placement. There is a scope of the medical field.
Ques. Is 12th Marksheet important for MBBS?
Ans. Class 12th marks are important for admissions to the stream but one must secure a rank in the NEET exam. It is necessary for a candidate to secure 50% marks to appear for NEET.
Ques. What is a preferred rank in NEET for admissions to government colleges?
Ans. To secure a seat in a government college students must secure rank between 1-8300, whereas the marks secured must be 546 out of 720.
Ques. How many MBBS merit seats in Kerala?
Ans. Commissioner for Entrance Examination (CEE) is the state counseling authority for Kerala. Students can choose from 5 medical colleges and 3 dental colleges. Overall, there are 119 seats for MBBS and 21 seats for BDS.
Ques. What is a good rank in NEET PG?
Ans. Given below are the ranks of NEET exam:
NEET PG cut off percentile
NEET PG cutoff scores (2019)
SC/ ST/ OBC
SC/ ST/ OBC-PH
Ques. Is 550 a safe score in NEET?
Ans. Yes, 550 is a safe score in NEET as your rank lies between 6275-7696.
Ques. Which Institute/Colleges do not accept NEET PG?
Ans. AIIMS, New Delhi and other AIIMS, PGIMER, Chandigarh, JIPMER, Puducherry, NIMHANS, Bengaluru and Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Trivandrum are the institutes which do not accept NEET scores.