The top medical colleges in Gujarat offer courses including MBBS, MD, B.Sc. Medicine, M.Sc. Medicine, etc. These colleges conduct both full-time and part-time courses for the medical aspirants.
- There are a total of 100 medical colleges in Gujarat out of which 29 are public medical colleges whereas 71 are top private medical colleges in Gujarat.
- There are 25 colleges in Gujarat approved by MCI (Medical Council of India) and 27 UGC approved medical colleges.
- Admissions to these colleges are done through the national level medical entrance exam, i.e. NEET and NEET PG.
- B.J. Medical College, Government Medical College, Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda are some of the top government medical colleges in Gujarat.
Top Medical Colleges in Gujarat: Rankings
Various agencies like NIRF, India Today, The Week, etc. release the rankings of top Medical colleges every year. The colleges are scored across various parameters, which help decide their rankings. These agencies also release ranking lists for Top Medical Colleges in India, Top MBBS Colleges in Gujarat, and many more.
Top Medical Colleges in Gujarat: The Week Ranking
The Week is a news magazine published in India every week in 5 cities. The agency conducts ranking surveys for colleges and Universities in India every year along with the Hansa Research foundation. They rank colleges based on a composite score derived by combining the perceptual and factual scores.
Listed below are the top Medical colleges in Gujarat according to The Week:
THE WEEK ALL INDIA RANK (2019)
THE WEEK ALL INDIA RANK (2018)
Government Medical College
- Only two Medical colleges from Gujarat are featured in the list of top 37 colleges in India by the Week magazine.
- BJMC has been ranked as the best college in Gujarat standing at number 27 all over India.
- On the other hand, Govt. Medical College which was not on the list the previous year, made to number 32 this year among all over India.
Top Medical Colleges in Gujarat: Cut Off
The following table shows the top medical colleges in Gujarat cut off rank based on the entrance exam i.e. NEET.
Govt Medical College, Surat
SMT. B.K. Shah Medical Institute
Govt Medical College, Bhavnagar
Govt Medical College, Baroda
M.P. Shah Govt Medical College
Top Medical Colleges in Gujarat: Admission Process
The top medical colleges in Gujarat offer multiple medical courses for Under-graduate and Postgraduate levels. The ratio of Government and Private medical colleges in Gujarat is as below:
Source: Official Survey
BJ Medical College Ahmedabad
BJMC is one of the top government colleges situated in Ahmedabad. It was founded in 1871 and affiliated to Gujarat University.
- The college offers both undergraduate, postgraduate and diploma programs under various medical streams.
- BJMC Ahmedabad offers a total of 250 seats for MBBS every year.
- The basic eligibility required for admission is 50% marks in 10+2 with Science stream including subjects Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.
- The average annual fee for MBBS offered by the college is INR 6000.
The following graph shows the reservation of seats offered by BJMC in its medical courses:
Source: BJMC Official Website
Gujarat Adani Institute of Medical Sciences (GAIMS) Kachchh
GAIMS is affiliated to Krantiguru Shyamji Krishna Verma Kachchh University and has been established since 2009. It offers both undergraduate as well as postgraduate programs in various fields of medical science.
- A total of 150 students were enrolled in MBBS under government and management quota while 48 students were admitted for PG courses.
- The institute is recognized by MCI for UG course MBBS with an annual intake of 150 seats.
- The minimum eligibility criterion for admission is 50% marks in 10+2 examination in science stream.
- GAIMS offers a total of 51 seats for PG courses in 15 different departments.
The following graph shows the total number of seats offered by the institute under different specializations of the PG programs:
The following table shows the fees of these different courses with the number of seats offered by the Institute:
Duration (in Years)
Average Annual Fees
MD (General Medicine)
MS (General Surgery)
Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Medical College (PDUMC), Rajkot
PDUMC is a premier Government aided medical college in Rajkot established in 1995. It is affiliated to Saurashtra University and offers medical courses in both undergraduate as well as postgraduate programs.
- Admission to the college is based on the merit scored in the previous qualifying examination and common entrance test at institute level.
- PDUMC offers 150 seats for MBBS and students must have passed 10+2 with Science subjects.
- The college offers PG courses in 19 subjects and all the courses are permitted by MCI.
The following graph shows the reservation of seats by PDUMC for various categories:
The following table shows different courses offered by PDUMC:
Average Annual Fee
Doctorate of Medicine (M.D.)
Master of Surgery (M.S.)
Diploma in Child Health
Top Medical Colleges in Gujarat: Entrance Exam Wise
Admission in Gujarat is done through the national level entrance exam i.e. NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Exam). It is conducted at an All India level with exam centers in 155 cities. Out of 100 medical colleges in Gujarat, only 21 colleges offer admission in medical courses on the basis of NEET.
Top Medical Colleges in Gujarat Through NEET
NEET is conducted to take admission in medical courses like MBBS and BDS. For admission in PG medical courses, a separate entrance exam is conducted namely NEET PG.
- The exam for NEET takes place in the month of May all over India while NEET PG is conducted in the month of January.
- For admission, the minimum percentage required for General candidates is 50%, General PWD is 45%, OBC/ST/SC is 45% and OBC/SC/ST P0D is 4%.
- The application fees for the General category are INR 1500 Wand INR 1400 for EWS and OBC candidates. Students belonging to SC/ ST/ PWD are required to pay INR 750.
Listed below are the names of the top medical colleges in Gujarat accepting NEET:
- Government Medical College, Surat
- B.J. Medical College
- Gujarat Adani Institute of Medical Sciences
- Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Medical College
Top Medical Colleges in Gujarat: FAQs
Ques. Which college is best for medical studies in Gujarat?
Ans. BJMC, Govt Medical College, and GAIMS are some of the best colleges to study medicine in Gujarat.
Ques. Which medical college in Gujarat has the lowest fee?
Ans. BJMC charges the lowest fee of INR 6,000 per year for MBBS.
Ques. Which Private medical college is best in Gujarat?
Ans. Gujarat Adani Institute of Medical Sciences - [GAIMS] is one of the top private medical colleges in Gujarat.
Ques. Which Public medical college is best in Gujarat?
Ans. B. J. Medical College, Ahmedabad is one of the top public medical colleges in Gujarat.