The top medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh include 115 private and 27 government medical colleges, which have been ranked by agencies like NIRF and India Today. These colleges offer medical education to aspirants in 13 different courses including MBBS, MD, BSc, BPT, BHMS and even MCh degree.
|Top Private Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh||Top Government Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh|
- The state hosts some of the top medical colleges in India including King George’s Medical University, SGPGIMS Lucknow, BHU Varanasi and Aligarh Muslim University.
- Admissions in these colleges are done through NEET and NEET PG for UG and PG courses respectively.
- The number of total government MBBS seats in Uttar Pradesh stands at around 1900-2100.
Mentioned below in this article are the complete details of these colleges’ ranking, cutoff, fee structure, and admission procedure. Keep reading to get all of them.
Top Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh: Rankings
Various ranking agencies release the list of top medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh on the basis of different parameters every year. These rankings are based on parameters like Perception of the University, Teacher-Student Ratio, Placement Reports, Faculty Quality and many more. Many ranking agencies release separate ranking lists for Private medical colleges and Government medical colleges.
Ranking agencies like NIRF, India Today, The Week and Outlook also release rankings in different categories including state-wise and city-wise. These include rankings like Top Medical Colleges in Andhra Pradesh, Top Medical Colleges in India, etc. Given below are some of these ranking lists released for Uttar Pradesh colleges.
Top Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh: NIRF Ranking
NIRF is the initialism for National Institutional Ranking Framework. It is the national ranking agency for colleges and universities in Uttar Pradesh and is run by the Ministry of HRD, Government of Uttar Pradesh. Listed below are the top Medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh in 2019 according to the NIRF survey.
|COLLEGE NAME||NIRF ALL INDIA RANK 2019||NIRF ALL INDIA RANK 2018||CHANGE||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEE|
|Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Science, Lucknow||4||Not Participated||+1||INR 1,02,000|
|Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||6||7||+1||INR 10,369|
|King George's Medical University, Lucknow||10||5||- 5||INR 54,900|
|Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh||13||9||-4||INR 53,67,600|
NIRF has ranked Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Science as the best Medical college in Lucknow city of Uttar Pradesh. The institute was founded in 1983.
- Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Science grabbed 4th All India Rank among all the top medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh, as per the NIRF survey.
- Other premier institutes included in this list are Banaras Hindu University (BHU) and King George's Medical University. BHU ranks 2nd in Uttar Pradesh and 6th in India, whereas, King George's Medical University ranks 3 in the state and 10th best Medical college in the country.
- The list also mentions some other top Medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh like Aligarh Muslim University.
- Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Science (SGPGIMS), Lucknow has topped in Uttar Pradesh from not listing in 2018 ranking. Banaras Hindu University made a rank change from NIRF Ranking Survey 2018.
However, some institutes have seen a drop in rank this year. King George's Medical University has dropped in the table by 5 positions.
Read More:SGPGIMS Lucknow Admission 2020
NIRF bases its rankings on 5 different parameters. The following chart shows the comparison of the weightage allotted to these parameters.
Source: NIRF Official Website
Top Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh: The Week Ranking
The Week is an Indian news magazine published from Kochi and printed in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, and Kottayam. The Week conducts a survey along with Hansa Research every year to list the top Medical colleges in India and also state wise. Following are the top Medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh as listed by this collective survey.
|COLLEGE NAME||THE WEEK RANKING 2019||THE WEEK RANKING 2018||CHANGE||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEE|
|Institute of Medical Sciences Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||6||6||0||INR 29,748|
|King George's Medical University, Lucknow||11||13||+2||INR 54,900|
|Era's Lucknow Medical College and Hospital, Lucknow||28||32||+4||INR 17,60,000|
The Week has ranked Banaras Hindu University as the best Medical college in Uttar Pradesh. The institute has secured 6th rank in all over India.
- Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Science and Aligarh Muslim University have not been included in this survey conducted by The Week and Hansa Research.
- Banaras Hindu University has emerged as the best private Medical college in Uttar Pradesh this year.
Top Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh: India Today Ranking
India Today is a weekly Indian English-language news magazine published by Living Media India Limited. Publishing since 1975, India Today also releases the lists of top Medical in Uttar Pradesh according to different criteria including Placements, Type of Colleges, ROI (Return on Investment), etc. Given below is a list of top Medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh as given by India Today.
|COLLEGE NAME||INDIA TODAY RANK 2019||INDIA TODAY RANK 2018||CHANGE||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEE|
|King George's Medical University, Lucknow||6||6||-||INR 54,900|
|Institute of Medical Sciences Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||7||7||-||INR 29,748|
|Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh||18||18||-||INR 53,67,600|
|Era's Lucknow Medical College and Hospital, Lucknow||30||29||-1||INR 17,60,000|
|Shri Ram Murti Smarak Institute of Medical Science, Bareilly||36||32||-4||INR 14,99,750|
India Today has ranked King George's Medical University, Lucknow as the best Medical college in Uttar Pradesh in 2019. The institute has been ranked 6th all over India.
- King George's Medical University, Lucknow has maintained its rank this year as it was ranked 6th in 2018 also by India Today.
- Many institutes have settled in their ranks this year.
Era's Lucknow Medical College and Hospital has seen a drop of a rank this year. The institute now ranks 30th in India. However, it has still been ranked 4th among all the top Medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh.
The following chart shows the division of ranking parameters used by India Today according to the weightage assigned to them.
Source: India Today Official Website
Top Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh: Cutoff
The following table shows some of the top medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh with their cutoff lists for different medical courses.
|BHU Varanasi||NEET Cutoff|
|King George’s Medical University, Lucknow||NEET, NEET PG and NEET MDS Cutoff|
|Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS), Varanasi||NEET, NEET PG and NEET MDS Cutoff|
|LLRM Medical College, Meerut||NEET and NEET PG Cutoff|
|GSVM Medical College, Kanpur||NEET and NEET PG Cutoff|
|SGPGIMS Lucknow||NEET PG Cutoff|
Top Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh: NEET CutOff
The cutoff marks and score for 85% State Quota seats of Uttar Pradesh state will be in accordance with the reservation criteria laid down by the authorities. There will be approximately 1,673 seats available under 85% State Quota. The authorities will be releasing different cutoff marks and ranks for categories like General Open Category (GNOP), Backward Caste Open Category (BCOP), Schedule Caste Open Category (SCOP), and Scheduled Tribe Open Category (STOP).
The cutoff of UP MBBS 2019 is used for admission to medical and dental colleges under the following quota:
- 15% All India Quota seats
85% State Quota seats
King George Medical University
Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Memorial Medical College, Kanpur
Sarojini Naidu Medical College
Motilal Nehru Medical College
Lala Lajpat Rai Memorial Medical College
Maharani Laxmi Bai Medical College Jhansi
Era Lucknow Medical College
Shriram Murti Smarak Institute of Medical Sciences, Bareilly
Top Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh: Admission Process
There are a total of 142 Medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh out of which 115 are private Medical colleges and 27 are public. These colleges give admissions mainly on the basis of the top medical entrance exam NEET. Their ratio is shown in the chart below.
Source: Official Survey
Mentioned below are some of the top details of SGPGIMS Lucknow, one of the best medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh rank wise.
Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGIMS), Lucknow
Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow is the best Medical college in Uttar Pradesh and is ranked 4th among all the top Medical in India. The institute has also been ranked as the best college in Uttar Pradesh for the learning experience.
- Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences was established in 1983 and named after the late Sanjay Gandhi. The institute is on a 550 acres residential campus at Raebareli Road.
- The institute offers DM, MCh, MD, Ph.D., postdoctoral fellowships and B.Sc. Nursing 4-year course.
It also offers special postdoctoral certificate courses, and senior residency.
Top Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh: Entrance Exam Wise
Admissions in Uttar Pradesh Medical colleges are done mainly through entrance exams like NEET. Some institutes might admit students on the basis of merit or through some quota offered by them. Listed below are some of the top Medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh entrance exam wise.
Top Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh Accepting NEET Score
NEET or National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test is conducted for admissions in colleges of India for the courses of UG and PG Medical courses. The exam is generally conducted in the month of May.
- NEET exam is conducted in offline mode and has a duration of 3 hours. There are three sections: Physics - 45, Chemistry - 45, Biology - 90 questions each. A correct response gives the candidate 4 marks and 1 mark is deducted for every wrong answer. No marks are deducted if the candidate has not attempted a question.
- NEET score is accepted by 422+ colleges and 43 colleges in Uttar Pradesh.
The National Testing Agency is the conducting body for the NEET exam.
Below table represents the application fee of NEET Examination Forms.
Transgender, Female, Male
General, ST, SC, OBC
Transgender, Female, Male
Following are some of the top Medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh accepting NEET score:
- King George's Medical University, Lucknow
- Era's Lucknow Medical College and Hospital, Lucknow
- Shri Ram Murti Smarak Institute of Medical Science, Bareilly
Sarojini Naidu Medical College
|Top Medical Colleges in Delhi NCR||Top Medical Colleges in Kanpur|
|Top Medical Colleges in Kerala||Top Medical Colleges in Rajasthan|
Top Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh: FAQs
Ques. Which college is best for Medical in Uttar Pradesh?
Ans. Some of the best engineering colleges in India are:
- King George's Medical University, Lucknow
- Institute of Medical Sciences Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
Era's Lucknow Medical College and Hospital, Lucknow
Ques. How many Medical colleges are there in Uttar Pradesh?
Ans. There are 140 colleges in UP 43 colleges that offer Medicine.
Ques. What is the cost of doing a Medical?
Ans. It differs based on the university varies from INR 1-65 lakh.
Ques. What is the cut off mark for NEET?
Ans. NEET cut off score 2019 for General category candidates is 50 percentile while 40 percentile for OBC/SC/ST
Ques. Is there Medicine in Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Science College?
Ans. It offers only Postgraduate Medicine courses.
Ques. Which private college is best for Medical?
Ans. Institute of Medical Sciences Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi is the best private college for Medicine
Ques. Which college is best for Medical in Lucknow?
Ans. King George's Medical University, Lucknow.