MSc in Project Management in UK: Comprehensive Guide for International Students
MSc in Project Management in UK is a one-year full-time degree offered by over 60 colleges and universities. 2 to 3 years of part-time program in project management is also offered by some of the universities of UK. This course teaches students how to plan, organize, and control the resources of a company or organization, in order to achieve specific goals.
- An undergraduate degree in science, the management or engineering field is required to get admission to MSc Project Management in the UK.
- Average tuition fee of some of the popular universities offering MSc in Project Management in UK is around 16,000 GBP to 20,000 GBP.
- Students having a degree in project management can earn more than 50,000 GBP per annum in the UK.
|Table of Content|
|1. Why Study?|
|2. Top Universities|
|3. Course Outline|
|4. Admission Process|
|5. Cost of Study|
|7. Job Prospects|
Why Study MSc in Project Management in UK?
According to Salary and Market Trends Survey 2018 of the Association for Project Management (APM), the average salary of a professional employed in project management is 47,500 GBP per annum.
- Although, there was not much increase in salary since 2017 it is still higher than the overall average salary of people working in UK ie. 29,574 GBP.
- People with more than 10 years of experience in project management earned a minimum amount of 50,000 GBP per annum.
- As per the same report, employees with project management qualifications earned more than 50,000 GBP per year.
Various job opportunities in the UK are available in a wide range of sectors after completion of a degree in project management. Thus, students have a variety of options to explore after completion of MSc Project Management from UK.
Top Universities offering MSc in Project Management in UK
List of top 10 universities, according to THE World University Ranking of 2010, offering MSc. Project Management in the UK is given below:
|University||THE World University Ranking 2020||Programs Offered||Total Fee (in GBP)|
|University of Manchester||55||MSc Management of Projects; MSc Engineering Project Management||25,500|
|University of Warwick||77||MSc in Program and Project Management||27,160|
|University of Bristol||87||MSc Management (Operations and Projects Management)||25,700|
|University of Birmingham||112||Advanced Engineering Management MSc - Project Management||23,310|
|University of Southampton||122||MSc Project Management||20,728|
|Lancaster University||139||MSc Project Management; MSc Engineering Project Management||23,000; 21,530|
|University of Sussex||146||MSc Project Management||22,500|
|University of Liverpool||165||Project Management MSc||20,000|
|University of Reading||-||MSc Project Management||19,715|
|Heriot Watt University||-||MSc Strategic Project Management||16,400|
MSc Project Management Course Outline
MSc in Project Management is designed for graduates who have an interest in developing in-depth specialist knowledge and a critical understanding of the key aspects of project management. The course focuses on building critical project management skills that students need to thrive in the industry.
MSc Project Management degree also lays emphasis on helping the students to gain a comprehensive understanding of and develop core competencies in managing complex projects, risk and innovation, developing leadership, apply advanced project and management practices.
In the UK, students are taught management subjects in the first year such as Advanced Project Management, Business & Project Management, Management of Risk, Management Research & Practice Skills, Managing Complex Projects, Products & Systems and Managing Innovation. It is followed by a project-based dissertation in the second year.
Admission Process for MSc. in Project Management in UK
Students having a bachelor's degree in engineering, science or management are given preference in the admission decision of MSc in Project Management in UK. Minimum requirements to get admission in a project management postgraduate program in the UK is further described in this section.
Minimum Eligibility Required for MSc Project Management in UK Admission
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in engineering, science or management discipline
- 2:1 (equivalent of 60% to 70%) or 2:2 (equivalent of 50% to 60%) at undergraduate level
- Proof of English proficiency
Note: Relevant work experience and recommendation letters give an edge to the students in the admission process. However, these are not compulsory requirements.
Proof of English Proficiency
International students whose first language is not English, have to appear for an English proficiency exam, generally IELTS or TOEFL. The minimum score requirements for some UK universities are given below:
|University||Minimum TOEFL (IBT) Score||Minimum IELTS Score|
|University of Manchester||90||6.5|
|University of Warwick||92||6.5|
|University of Bristol||92||6.0|
|University of Birmingham||88||6.5|
|University of Southampton||81||6.0|
|University of Sussex||88||6.5|
|University of Liverpool||78||6.0|
|University of Reading||-||6.5|
Cost of Studying MSc Project Management in UK
Cost of studying in the UK can be divided into three subcategories, namely pre-arrival cost, tuition fee, and cost of living.
Students have to undertake a few tests for studying in UK universities such as IELTS, GRE, etc. Their registration, airfare, visa prices are listed below:
|Type of Expense||Cost (in GBP)|
|IELTS Registration Fee||175|
|TOEFL (iBT) Registration Fee||161 - 253|
|UK Student Visa Fee||322|
|Airfare||439 - 550|
Tuition Fee of MSc in Project Management in UK
Tuition fee of top universities in the UK offering an MSc in Project Management ranges between 16,000 GBP to 28,000 GBP.
Cost of Living in UK
The cost of living in the UK for international students is around 1,000 GBP per month. It depends on various factors including the housing prices, meals, books, transportation, personal expenses etc. Students can choose to live on-campus in residence halls of respective universities or off-campus in rented rooms and apartments.
Estimates of living expenses incurred while studying MSc. project management in UK at different universities is given as follows:
|University||Monthly Cost of Living (in GBP) approx.|
|University of Manchester||1,234|
|University of Warwick||529|
|University of Bristol||750 - 1,208|
|University of Birmingham||925 - 1,050|
|University of Southampton||1,207|
|University of Sussex||624 - 1,135|
|University of Liverpool||800 - 1,200|
|University of Reading||1,215|
Scholarships for MSc. in Project Management in UK
Universities offer a wide range of scholarships to international students in the UK studying MSc. project management. Following table provides a brief summary of some of these scholarships:
|University||Scholarship||Amount offered (in GBP)|
|University of Manchester||Management of Projects Excellence Award||25,300|
|University of Warwick||WMG School Scholarship||Up to full tuition fee|
|University of Bristol||Postgraduate Scholarships for University of Bristol Alumni||10% reduction in tuition fee|
|University of Birmingham||India Inlaks Scholarships||77,140|
|University of Southampton||International Postgraduate Taught MSc Scholarships||4,930|
|University of Sussex||Chancellor’s International Scholarship||50% reduction of the overseas tuition fee|
|University of Liverpool||ULMS Indian Subcontinent Excellence Scholarship||Part fee waiver (50%)|
|University of Reading||2020 Master’s Scholarship Scheme||3,000|
|Heriot Watt University||British Council/Heriot-Watt GREAT Scholarships 2020||10,000|
Details about above-mentioned scholarships are provided below:
- Management of Projects Excellence awards: This scholarship is awarded to students holding a bachelor’s degree with a minimum upper second class undergraduate degree in the UK or its international equivalent and enrolled in MSc in University of Manchester.
- WMG School Scholarship: The scholarship is offered by University of Warwick to students who have accomplished recognized outstanding achievements in their career or professional development.
- Postgraduate Scholarships for University of Bristol Alumni: This scholarship is awarded to students of University of Bristol progressing to a higher level qualification than one they already hold.
- India Inlaks Scholarships: It is granted to bright young Indian students, offered admission in University of Birmingham, holding a first-class degree or equivalent from a recognized university/institution in India.
- International Postgraduate Taught MSc Scholarships: It is offered to applicants who have been offered a place on one of the University of Southampton’s masters program. They must have achieved either a 2:1 or a 1st classification (or equivalent) in their bachelor’s degrees respectively.
- Chancellor’s International Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students showing excellent grades (UK first class or equivalent) in their most recent qualification. The applications for this scholarship are accepted online by the University of Sussex. Students are required to provide a statement of academic interests along with their application form.
- ULMS Indian Subcontinent Excellence Scholarship: Students are considered for this award based on their academic excellence and must hold at least a high 2:1 (65 + %) in their undergraduate degree, including marks of over 60% in modules relevant to their MSc program.
- UOR Masters Scholarship 2020: Students enrolled in the construction management and engineering program of University of Reading are eligible to apply for this scholarship. Three selected international students are offered an amount of 3000 GBP each.
- British Council/Heriot-Watt GREAT Scholarships 2020: 2 international students, studying postgraduate program at Heriot-Watt University, are awarded 10,000 GBP.
Jobs after MSc in Project Management in UK
The average annual salary of a project management employee in the UK is estimated to be around 47,500 GBP, according to a survey conducted by the Association for Project Management (APM) in 2018. Even people employed in a junior role in this field are earning above 20,000 GBP per annum.
The project management career brings a number of opportunities, offers a higher salary, and helps in career advancement. The demand for project management professionals is increasing day by day since project managers are needed in approximately every industry. As per the data provided by The Project Management Institute (PMI), there will be nearly 6.2 million project management jobs in the industry by 2020.
The demand for project managers is growing due to advance technology and expanding the global market which makes project management one of the most rapidly growing professions in the world. They play an important role not only in the IT industry but also in the non-IT industries such as accounts and finance, oil and gas, mechanical, business and consultancy services.
Ques. Which are the best universities in the UK for MSc Project Management?
Ans. Some top-ranked universities offering MSc in Project Management in UK are the University of Manchester, University of Warwick, University of Bristol, University of Birmingham, University of Southampton and Lancaster University.
Ques. How much is the average fee for studying MSc Project Management in UK?
Ans. The tuition fee charged by popular universities offering MSc in Project Management in UK approximately ranges between 16,000 GBP to 28,000 GBP.
Ques. Who can do a master's degree in project management in UK?
Ans. Students having a bachelor's degree, preferably in construction, the management or engineering field with a minimum percentage of 50% to 60% can apply for MSc in Project Management in UK.
Ques. How long does it take to complete MSc in Project Management in UK?
Ans. Full-time master's degree in project management takes one year to complete. However, a part-time degree can be completed within 2 to 3 years.
Ques. What are the benefits of a master's in project management degree in UK?
Ans. After completing a master's in project management, students can work as a project and program manager in the UK. Average salary of a project manager in UK is 47,500 GBP per annum. Also, the jobs are available in a wide variety of sectors ranging from agriculture to defense.