What is BSc Animation and VFX?
B.Sc Animation & VFX or Bachelor of Science in Animation and VFX is a 3-year long undergraduate program that can be undertaken by anyone who has completed 10+2 or an equivalent qualification with at least 50% marks in aggregate. In this course, one will be learning about the field of animation and visual effects (VFX).
Animation, by which we understand creating an illusion of motion, is a very popular field. The same goes with VFX, where realistic images are obtained which would otherwise be impossible to achieve in reality. During the BSc Animation and VFX course, one will also come across various technologies that are used in the animation field to create virtual games, cartoons, videos and even full-length animated movies. As for visual effects, one gets to learn how to create or manipulate visual images and make them look realistic.
Unlike earlier days, animations and visual effects these days are mostly computer-generated by making use of various animations and compositing software. Composting is one of those techniques of creating a visual effect, where elements from different images are combined into one. Since the computer plays a big part in creating animations and visual effects, most of the training in this course will be based working on computers and using the latest software.
The course is very much suitable for those who have a creative or artistic bent of mind. You will be requiring skills in drawing and it helps if you have a vivid imagination and an eye for detail. A good observation skill is also very much essential to become a good animator or a virtual artist.
B.Sc Animation & VFX Top Colleges
B.Sc Animation & VFX is offered in a number of colleges in India. The below table provides the names of the colleges which are most sought after for this course.
|College Name||City||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|Birla Institute of Technology||Noida||Entrance Test||INR 185,000|
|Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT)||Vellore||Merit based/10+2 marks||INR 99,000|
|Gurudeva Media & Animation College (GMAC)||Delhi||Merit based/10+2 marks||INR 100,000|
|ITM Institute of Design and Media||Navi Mumbai||Entrance Test plus 10+2 marks||INR 12,00,000|
|Sam Higginbottom University of Agriculture Technology and Sciences (SHUATS)||Allahabad||Merit based/10+2 marks||INR 54,000|
Check Out: BSc Animation and VFX Colleges in India
The average course fees for this course range anywhere from INR 54,000 to INR 185,000 depending upon the college, institute and the facilities available with them.
Some of the popular job profiles in this field are:
- Web Designer
- Graphics Designer
- Web Developer
- Game Developer
- Cartoon Animator
- 3D Artist
- Animation Technical Director
- Art Director
- VFX Artist
- Texturing Artist
The starting salaries after doing B.Sc Animation & VFX range anywhere from INR 20,000 to INR 50,000. With experience and expertise, the salaries rise steeply.
The opportunities in the field are ever-increasing. After completion of this undergraduate course, one can land up a job in numerous sectors. Some of the popular sectors for this field are multimedia, gaming industry, movie production, ad industry, television channels, media houses, education and IT industry.
Students may be interested in higher education with an MBA Course or Masters in Animation. MBA Jobs provides better salaries as compared to other streams. There are also options for undertaking postgraduate courses in the field of animation. Some of the popular postgraduate courses are M.Sc Animation, M.Sc Multimedia and Animation, PG Diploma in Animation, MA Animation and many more.
There will be lessons on business education, moral education, cyber laws, advertising, public relations and management. The students get the opportunity for internships and industrial training. There are numerous presentations and project works during the entire period of the course.
BSc Animation and VFX Course Highlights
Some of the important course highlights of this undergraduate course in animation are given below.
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Science in Animation & VFX|
|Eligibility||10+2 with at least 50% marks in the qualifying exam|
|Admission Process||Merit-based as well as through entrance exams|
|Course Fee||INR 54,000 to INR 185,000|
|Average Salary||INR 20,000 to INR 50,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||NIIT, Flipkart, Shoppers Stop, Lifestyle, Microsoft, Adobe, Beehives, Hotstar, Zee Televisions, Facebook, Ogilvy and Manther, KPMG|
|Job Positions||Web Designer, Web Developer, Graphics Designer, Game Developer, Graphic Artist, Video Game Designer, Cartoon Animator, 3D Artist, Animation Lighting Artist, Animation Technical Director, Art Director|
BSc Animation and VFX Eligibility
There are not too many criteria to fulfil to join this course. The entire course is more about creativity and less about educational qualifications. However, since there are a few things technical in this course, a certain minimum education is desired of every candidate as given below.
- The candidate should have passed 10+2 or an equivalent qualification from any recognized school or institution.
- Should have obtained at least 50% marks in aggregate in the qualifying exam.
- Those who have a diploma in a related field can also apply for the course.
- Those in the final year of their study can also apply.
BSc Animation and VFX Admission Process
The field of animation and virtual effects (VFX) is a very upcoming one. As a result, the demand for the course has been constantly on the rise, year after year. Some of the ways one can apply for this course are given as follows.
- Most of the colleges select candidates for this course based on the candidates’ marks in 10+2. For applying at such colleges, one can apply online by visiting the official website of the college. The candidates will have to fill up an online form and pay the prescribed application fee.
- Some of the colleges where they do not have an online application facility, you may download the application form (if available) from the college website, fill it up, make a demand draft for paying the application fee and then send it to the admission office of the college by post.
- In case both the above measures do not help, then the candidates may directly visit the college admission office and submit their application along with necessary documents and fee, then and there at the college itself.
- It helps if you have done a diploma or certification program in animation or a related field. Any entrance exam that you may have qualified like NID DAT Prelims and others, may help you in getting preference.
- Where the college itself conducts an entrance test, apply for the same by visiting its website.
BSc Animation and VFX Entrance Exam
For enrolling to a B.Sc Animation & VFX course, different colleges use different modes of selection. Though most of the colleges select candidates based on merit and 10+2 marks, some colleges rely on entrance tests. A few colleges conduct their own entrance tests and a few rely on those that are taken by reputed institutes like National Institute of Design (NID). A few of these have been discussed below.
- NID DAT Prelims – NID DAT which stands for National Institute of Design – Design Aptitude Test has two parts. One is the Prelims and the other Mains. Many of the colleges give preference in selection if the candidate has qualified the Prelims, which is a pen and paper test. The Mains is a studio-based test.
- ITM IDM Entrance Test – This test is conducted by the ITM Group of institutions for admission to its various media and design courses. The test is in two parts, both of which are of two hours duration. The first one is the Common Intelligence Test (CIT) and the second is Creative Aptitude Test (CAT). The test is held online. The test is followed by a personal interview.
- BIT Entrance Test – The test is conducted by Birla Institute of Technology for admission to its undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Animation and multimedia. The online test is followed by an interview. The test known as Creative Aptitude Test is of 90 minutes in duration. The selections are based on 10+2 marks plus performance in the entrance test and interview. The weightage of marks is 40% for the test, 10% for the interview and 50% for 10+2 marks.
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Dates||Exam Mode|
|NID DAT Prelims 2021||October – November 2020 (Tentative)||Last week of December 2020 (Tentative)||Pen and Paper|
|ITM IDM Entrance Test 2021||April 2021 (Tentative)||May 2021 (Tentative)||Online|
|BIT Entrance Test 2021||Not yet scheduled||Not yet scheduled||Online|
How to prepare for B.Sc Animation & VFX Entrance Exams?
The entrance exam for the animation and VFX courses are mostly based on aptitude. The tests measure the creative aptitude of the students for a career in this field. Some of the tests are also intelligence based tests, which again tests the aptitude of the candidates. Some important points while preparing for the entrance are as follows.
- To prepare for the tests, the candidates will have to work on their aptitude, by practising tests of a similar kind.
- Since an interview is also part of the selection process of some of the colleges, the candidates will have to brush up their interview skills too.
- The candidates should have a good hold of English too, as almost all the programs are in the English language.
How to get admission in B.Sc Animation & VFX?
Getting admission to a B.Sc Animation and VFX course does not require too many qualifications or skills. Anyone who has passed 10+2, irrespective of stream, are eligible to apply for the course. It helps, if the candidate has an aptitude for designing or creating things. Even if someone does not have too many skills in drawing or designing, one can still pick them up easily, once they join the course.
Some of the colleges, however, conduct an entrance test before selecting the candidates. In such tests, the aptitude of the student for the course and a future career in the field are judged. You will be required to do well in such tests to ensure your selection. Since the course content for such courses is generally in English, you need to have a good working knowledge of English.
BSc Animation and VFX Syllabus
Some of the popular subjects and topics on B.Sc Animation & VFX have been shared below.
|1st Semester||2nd Semester|
|Foundation Art-I||Foundation Art-II|
|Digital Art||Classical Animation-II|
|Communication & Communication Theories||Animation Techniques|
|Media & Cyber Laws||Advertising & Public Relations|
|Classical Animation-I||3D Design & Modelling|
|Business Communication||Web Technology|
|Moral Value & Education||Introduction to Multimedia Communication|
|Professional Communication & Technical Writing||-|
|3rd Semester||4th Semester|
|3D Animation-I||Post Production|
|Television & Film Production Analysis||Special Effects (SFX)|
|Video &Sound Editing||Media Economics|
|Visual Effects(VFX) Design||Visual Effects(VFX) Design|
|Principles of Management||-|
|5th Semester||6th Semester|
|Production Process||Digital Film Production|
|Management Information System||Visual Perception|
|Communication Research||Project & Dissertation|
|Modelling & Texturing||-|
|Lighting & Shading||-|
|Introduction to Digital Image Processing||-|
B.Sc Animation & VFX: Important Books
There are a number of interesting books dedicated to the art of animation and visual effects. Some of the popular ones are listed below.
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Producing Animation||Catherine Winder and Zahra Dowlatabadi|
|Special Effects: History and Technique||Richard Rickitt|
|The Visual Effects Producer||Charles Finance|
|The Art and Science of Digital Compositing||Ron Brinkmann|
|Lighting for Animation: The Art of Visual Storytelling||Michael Tanzillo|
BSc Animation and VFX Top Colleges
Due to its increasing popularity, B.Sc Animation & VFX is being offered by a number of colleges in India. A detailed list of many such colleges has been presented below along with information on their yearly course fees.
|College Name||City||Average Annual Fees in INR|
|Birla Institute of Technology||Noida||INR 185,000|
|Vellore Institute of Technology||Vellore||INR 99,000|
|Quantum University||Roorkee||INR 80,224|
|Gurudeva Media & Animation College (GMAC)||New Delhi||INR 100,000|
|ITM Institute of Design and Media||Navi Mumbai||IDM entrance|
|Sam Higginbottom University of Agriculture Technology and Sciences (SHUATS)||Allahabad||INR 54,000|
|Vogue Institute of Art & Design||Bangalore||INR 227,000|
|Global Institute of Gaming and Animation||Chennai||INR 125,000|
|Indian Institute of Digital Art and Animation||Kolkata||INR 510,000|
|National Institute of Design (NID)||Ahmedabad||INR 262,800|
|Westford Institute of Film Technology (WIFT)||Mumbai||INR 100,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)||Mumbai||INR 60,000|
|Whistling Woods International Institute (WWI)||Mumbai||INR 2,00,000|
|P.A. Inamdar College of Visual Effects, Design & Art||Pune||Not available|
B.Sc Animation & VFX: College Comparison
The top three colleges offering B.Sc Animation & VFX have been compared below
|Parameter||Birla Institute of Technology||Gurudeva Media and Animation College||Quantum University|
|Overview||Birla Institute of Technology (BIT) Noida is one of the ten extension centers of BIT. The Institute offers various Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Doctoral level courses such as B.Sc., BBA, MBA, Ph.D., etc.||Gurudeva Media and Animation College is an animation and VFX college in Delhi. It has good infrastructural facilities with good connection for students.||Quantum University is located in Roorkee, Uttarakhand which is a serene and scenic town located along the Ganga canal. Roorkee is famous for its history associated with providing high quality education. The campus university comprises aesthetically designed infrastructure including state-of-art internet and computer facilities, workshops, libraries, laboratories, seminar halls and many more facilities.|
|Course Name||B.Sc Animation and Multimedia||B.Sc. Creative Multimedia & Animation||B.Sc Animation & VFX|
|Annual Fee||INR 185,000||INR 100,000||INR 80,224|
|Duration||3 years||3 years||3 years|
Why study BSc Animation and VFX?
The field of animation and visual effects is one of the most sought after careers these days. The salaries in this field are highly lucrative and there are numerous opportunities for career growth. Let us learn here some of the reasons why one should study B.Sc Animation & VFX.
- To study this course, it does not matter which stream you belong to. Anyone from science, commerce or arts background can join this course and make a career in animation.
- The way the entertainment, gaming, animation and other related industries are growing with leaps and bounds, there is a lot of interest in today’s youth to make a career in this field. As a result, the demand for such a course is on the rise and colleges too are eager to offer courses on the subject.
- It is believed that in future, feature films will have more animated content in them. Already there have been full-length feature films featuring animated actors and being produced the world over. In the years to come, this will be more the norm rather than being an exception. This way the movie makers will be able to cut down their production costs in a big way.
- The field of animation and virtual effects provides immense opportunities to those with a creative bent of mind and talent. Creative people can make the best of this course by nurturing their talent and make it big in a field, where they can have an upper hand due to their creative skills.
- Therefore, anyone with a creative mind, vivid imagination, out of the box thinking and an understanding of colours and shades should study B.Sc Animation and VFX.
BSc Animation and VFX Course Comparison
B.Sc Creative Multimedia & Animation is a course about multimedia and animation. Let us see here a few of the similarities and differences it shares with B.Sc Animation & VFX.
|Parameters||B.Sc Animation & VFX||B.Sc. Creative Multimedia & Animation|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Eligibility||10+2 from any stream||10+2 from any stream|
|Course Overview||B.Sc Animation & VFX is a popular course for those who are interested in making a career in the field of animation and work in industries such as film making, gaming, advertising and similar domains.||This is a triple certification course, where you get benefited with both a graduation degree and a professional course. Through this course, the students will be gaining skills in graphics designing, website designing, digital photography, motion graphics, 2D and 3D animation, audio-video editing and more.|
|Admission Process||Merit-based as well as through entrance exam||Merit-based|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 54,000 – INR 185,000||INR 1 lakh|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 20,000 – INR 50,000||INR 30,000|
|Recruitment Sectors||Gaming Industry, Media Houses, Film Industry, IT Industry, Multimedia, Web Industry, Ad Industry, News Agencies||Multimedia, IT Field, Animation Industry, Website Designing, Video Editing, Photo Studio, Graphic Designing Company, Hoardings & Signage Industry|
|Top Job Profiles||Web Designer, Web Developer, Graphics Designer, Game Developer, VFX Artist, Texturing Artist, Production Head||Texturing Artist, 3D Modeler, Audio-video Editor, Character Animator, Game Designer, 3D Animator|
BSc Animation and VFX Scope
B.Sc Animation & VFX has a lot of potential in terms of career and job opportunities. It is one of the fastest-growing fields in recent times at par with the IT industry, or even faster. Some of the future scopes of this course are enumerated below.
- As mentioned above, the field of animation is growing real fast in India as well as overseas. It is finding newer applications in different sectors, including education, business and even governance. As such, the job opportunities are immense in this field.
- There are also options for undertaking postgraduate courses in the field of animation. Some of the popular postgraduate courses are M.Sc Animation, M.Sc Multimedia and Animation, PG Diploma in Animation, MA Animation and many more.
BSc Animation and VFX Jobs
The field of animation and visual effects provides numerous job opportunities. The growth opportunities are also immense in this field. Find below some of the popular job profiles and positions in this field.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Animation Technical Director||One of the top-most posts in the field of animation, the person is mostly involved in creating visual graphics and directing animation videos and films.||INR 15 – 20 lakh|
|Video Game Developer||Also known as Gaming Developer, they are mostly into writing codes that respond to commands and thus bring their characters live on screen.||INR 8 – 10 lakh|
|3D Artist||A 3D artist as the name suggests is mainly into creating three-dimensional models and animations for use in movies and video games. They also create visual effects, which are three dimensional in nature.||INR 5 – 7 lakh|
|Animator||Animators are artists who create animated films, music videos, cartoons, games and commercials by using the techniques of sequential images and drawings.||INR 4 – 6 lakh|
BSc Animation and VFX FAQ
Ques. What is the duration for the course B.Sc Animation & VFX?
Ans. The duration of this course is 3 years. The course period is divided into six semesters.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for applying for B.Sc Animation & VFX?
Ans. The basic requirement for undertaking this course is a plain 10+2 qualification. There are no restrictions on streams. Anyone from arts, science or commerce stream can apply. All it requires is a little bit of creative ability and a passion for the field.
Ques. How are the selections done for B.Sc Animation & VFX courses?
Ans. The selections to the B.Sc Animation and VFX courses are mostly based on merit. Some colleges do however conduct their own tests.
Ques. Are there any entrance exams for B.Sc Animation & VFX courses?
Ans. Though most of the colleges admit students based on merit and their 10+2 marks, some of the colleges do conduct their own entrance tests or give preference to those who have qualified reputed national level exams like NID DAT Prelims.
Ques. What is the average fee for B.Sc Animation & VFX?
Ans. The average course fees for the above course ranges from a low of INR 54,000 to a high of INR 185,000 per year.
Ques. Are there any postgraduate programs after this course?
Ans. There are many postgraduate programs in the field of animation. Some of the popular programs are MA Animation, M.Sc Animation, M.Sc Multimedia & Animation and PG Diploma Multimedia & Animation.
Ques. What are some of the job profiles in this profession?
Ans. Some of the popular job profiles in this field are Graphics Artist, Website Designer, 2D/3D Modeler, Gaming Designer, Production Head, Creative Head, Texturing Artist, Cartoon Animator, 3D Artist and a lot more.
Ques. What are the sectors that I can get employed after doing B.Sc Animation & VFX?
Ans. Some of the popular fields where one can find employment after undertaking this course are the film industry, gaming industry, television channels, entertainment industry, ad industry, multimedia, media production houses, IT Sector and many other such related fields.
Ques. What are the average starting salaries in the field of animation & VFX?
Ans. The average starting salaries in this course are around INR 2.5 lakh yearly.