Post graduate Diploma in Operations Management is a two year post graduate diploma degree in operations and supply management. The program trains students in operations management skills and develops change agents having skills to create an excellent culture of operational dexterity at the workplace.
Graduates of PGD in Operations Management can find employment in a variety of industries like manufacturing, IT, public sectors etc, and can get an average salary of INR 3 – 8 LPA. There are many other private as well as government colleges that provide PG Diploma courses in Operations and Management, and the average fee is about INR 50,000 – 1,00,000.The course teaches a student about principles of management, strategic management, cost accounting, quality management supply chain management etc. The course can be taken up by any UG degree holder who has scored at least 50% aggregate marks.
Also Read: What is the difference between MBA and PGDM?
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management: Admission Process
The admissions for Operations Management Diploma course is done on the basis of entrance exams and merit both. A few colleges do not conduct any entrance exam and enrol students directly based on merit and performance in interviews, others may conduct their own entrance exams like SNAP, CAT, XAT etc.
The admission steps are as follows:
- In the case of entrance-based selection, students should check eligibility and apply for such exams.
- Candidates should then qualify the exam with required minimum marks.
- After the conduction of the test, the college or university declares the result and releases a merit list of finally shortlisted candidates.
- The short-listed students can then complete their admission process by visiting the college and pay the tuition fees.
For Admissions in colleges which do not consider entrance exams and are based on merit, Students should apply to the college either online or offline (based on the college’s process) and then wait for lists to be put up by the colleges where the highest scorer gets the seat offered first.
Checkout: GD PI Preparation
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for Post Graduate Diploma in Operations and Management is simple and not complicated at all and is as follows:
- The candidate should have completed a bachelor's degree course in any stream.
- The student should have scored a minimum of 50% marks in 10+2++3.
- The final year students who are awaiting for their marks can also apply.
Quick Read: PGDM Online
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management Entrance Exams
SNAP: Symbiosis International University Pune conducts its own entrance exam called SNAP for admissions into its B-schools which offers courses like MBA, PGDM etc.
CAT: Common Admission Test or CAT exam is an aptitude entrance test which is accepted by about 20 IIMs and over 1,200 B-schools in India. It is conducted by IIMs combined.
MAT: Management Aptitude Test or MAT is a national-level entrance exam conducted by the All India Management Association (AIMA) for admissions to MBA and related courses. It is conducted four times a year in many cities and towns in India.
|Exam Name||Application Date||Date of Exam||Mode|
|CAT||First week of Aug 2021||November 2021||Online|
|SNAP||Last week of November 2021||Second week of December 2021||Online|
|MAT||February 14, 2021||February 20, 2021||Online|
Checkout: CAT Previous Year papers
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management: Tips to Clear Entrance Exams
- Instead of learning by rote and by-hearting, try to understand the concepts before moving on to the next topic.
- Getting to know the exam pattern, questions asked is an important step to clear it successfully.
- Prepare a schedule such that the syllabus can be covered, and enough time is left for revision as well. It is also equally important to stick on to the schedule.
- Revise the syllabus and take up mock tests, previous year question papers etc.
- Talk to seniors and get to know their point of view so that you can relate to it and plan your schedule.
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management: Tips to get the Best College
- The first thing to do would be to get good marks in the bachelor’s degree itself as the marks scored in the degree is given weightage.
- Apply for the exam by either visiting the official website of the college or through offline mode that is visiting the campus itself.
- Fill the application form carefully, upload the documents the college has asked for in the application form in the prescribed dimensions and format.
- Download hall tickets and keep in mind the allotted exam centre.
- Give Entrance exams like CAT, MAT, GMAT etc.
- The results will be announced, and students will be called for counselling soon after.
- After the counselling is done, students will be short-listed and selected depending on various parameters. Selected students will be allotted a seat.
Checkout: Top Ranked Management Colleges in India
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management: What is it about?
- PG Diploma in Operations Management deals with management of resources in the production of goods and services
- This course is designed to impart skills related to operations, supply chain, transportation etc of a company especially in the manufacturing industry.
- The course trains students who aim in keeping operations smooth, and keep essential structure of organisations, and to deliver quality performance and productivity.
- The objective of this course is to develop an understanding of the role of production and operations management in firms’ success.
- It is offered in India by many business schools and charges an average fee of INR 50,000 to INR 2 lakh.
PG Diploma in Operations Management Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full Form||Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management|
|Duration||1 – 2 Years|
|Examination Type||Semester wise exams|
|Eligibility||Candidates should be a bachelors degree holder with minimum 50% marks.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam or Direct Admissions|
|Average Course Fee||INR 50,000 – 1,00,000|
|Average salary||INR 3 – 8 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Expo Freight Logistics, Synechron, Impex|
|Job Opportunities||Purchase Manager, Strategic Planner, Purchase Analyst, Materials Analyst, Materials Manager|
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management: Course Advantages
- PGD in Operations Management studies the processes and systems that affect the operations of firms.
- This course is specially designed for managers who plan to further their career in both service and manufacturing organizations.
- It provides new opportunities for those who have graduated in a UG course. This course helps graduates to start a career in a new field or for those who are already in the field of Supply chain.
- The pay package for the course is also very good and it only keeps improving with experience and skills.
- The employability is also excellent, most of the companies in manufacturing industries recruit graduates in PG diploma in Operations management.
- The graduates can get excellent job profiles at managerial levels soon after graduation which gives a scope for progress in their career fields.
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management: Course Comparison
Below given is a course comparison between PGDM and PGD in Operations Management on the basis of a few parameters that will help the students to select the perfect course for them.
Checkout: Top PGDM colleges
|Parameters||PGD in Operations Management||PGD in Management|
|Duration||1 – 2 years||2 years|
|Focus Area||Focuses on operations and supply chain management, smooth operations in a company||Focuses on Management in general and can be specialised in subjects like finance, HR etc.|
|Admission Criteria||Merit or entrance exam||Entrance exam|
|Eligibility Criteria||Candidates should be a bachelors degree holder with minimum 50% marks.||Candidates should be a bachelors degree holder with minimum 50% marks.|
|Average Course Fee||INR 50,000 – 1,00,000||INR 3 – 12 Lakhs|
|Job Options||Purchase Manager, Strategic Planner, Purchase Analyst, Materials Analyst, Materials Manager||Administrative Officer, Business Consultant, Finance Manager, Human Resource Manager, Public Relations Officer, Marketing Executive, etc.|
|Average Package||INR 3 – 8 LPA||INR 4 – 10 LPA|
Read More: Jobs after PGDM Courses
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management: Top Colleges
|College Name||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|Symbiosis Institute of Business Management||INR 1,20,000||INR 10.26 LPA|
|NTTF Nettur Technical Training Foundation||INR 82,000||INR 3.7 LPA|
|Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology||INR 3,24,000||INR 7 LPA|
|Indian institute of Management Calcutta||INR 95000||INR 8 LPA|
|Siva Sivani Institute of Management Hyderabad||INR 3.5 lakhs||INR 4.5 LPA|
|Lucknow University||INR 95,000||INR 3.1 LPA|
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management: College Comparison
|Parameter||Symbiosis Institute of Business Management||Indian Institute of Management Calcutta|
|Overview||SIBM Pune is one of the top private management colleges in India which has its campuses in many cities.||IIMC has been ranked 26th in the overall category by NIRF. It also stands at 51 among the list of top 100 management colleges in the world.|
|India Today Ranking||20||1|
|Average Fees||INR 1.2 lakhs||INR 95,000|
|Average Annual Package||INR 1.26 LPA||INR 8 – 1 0 LPA|
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management: Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Principles of Management||Strategic Management|
|Financial Accounting||Cost Accounting|
|Fundamentals of Communication and Interview Preparation||The Integrative Manager|
|Human Resource Management||Mastering the Interview and Networking Skills|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|World Class Manufacturing||Radical Business Performance Improvement|
|Product Planning and Control||Global Supply Chain Management|
|Project Management||Customer Centric Organization|
|Total Quality Management||Six Sigma|
|Production and Operations Management||Outsourced Manufacturing|
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management: Recommended Books
|Name of Book||Author|
|Industrial Engineering and Operations Management||Anmol Bhatia|
|Operations Management||David Barnes|
|Product Planning and Control||RK Singhal|
|Supply chain management||Sunil Jain|
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management: Job Roles
Below given are the job roles for graduates after completing Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management course along with their average salary package.
|Job Name||Average salary|
|Operations Manager||INR 6 LPA|
|Strategic Planner||INR 3 LPA|
|Materials Manager||INR 4 LPA|
|Service Operations Director||INR 8 LPA|
|Supply Chain Manager||INR 9 LPA|
Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management FAQs
Ques. What is the average fee for the course?
Ques. Can I Do the course after doing engineering?
Ques. What is the average fees for the course at Symbiosis Institute of Management?
Ques. Should I write CAT for taking up PGD in operations management?
Ques. Does IIM Bangalore offer PGD in Operations Management?
Ques. Is it necessary that I should have scored 50% marks in bachelors degree?
Ques. Can I become a supply chain manager after the course?
Ques. What is the salary given to a supply chain manager?
Ques. Is PGD in Operations Management the same as PGDM?
Ques. Which is better PGDM or PGD in Operations Management?