The opportunities for mechanical engineers in Germany can be high as it is considered the hub for Research and Development industries. Also, there are more than 50 top mechanical engineering universities in Germany. The course is accessible through a wide range of degrees starting from an undergraduate to a doctoral with respective duration.
- The average cost of pursuing mechanical engineering from Germany can range annually from 600 EUR to 20,000 EUR.
- According to reports, the mechanical engineering industry in Germany generated a revenue of 274 billion EUR in 2017 from 247 billion EUR in 2013. This created more jobs in this field.
- Cities like Stuttgart, Hamburg, Berlin and Munich are advanced in terms of availability of more jobs in the sector of mechanical engineering.
- According to QS Ranking 2020, there are 4 German universities among top 50 mechanical engineering universities in the world.
- Studies in Germany are popular among international students because of its cost-friendly education structure.
Top Mechanical Engineering Universities in Germany
One who is willing to pursue mechanical engineering from Germany and to grow a career in the same field of study, can check the below compiled top Mechanical Engineering universities in Germany, as per QS mechanical engineering ranking 2020:
|University/College||QS Mechanical Engineering Ranking 2020||Programs|
|RWTH Aachen University||18||Bachelor of Science, Masters of Science & Doctorate in Mechanical Engineering|
|Technical University of Munich||25||Bachelor of Science, Masters of Science & Doctorate in Mechanical Engineering|
|University of Stuttgart||42||Bachelor of Science, Masters of Science & Doctorate in Mechanical Engineering & Mechatronics|
|Karlsruhe Institute of Technology||43||Bachelor of Science, Masters of Science & Doctorate in Mechanical Engineering|
|Technical University of Darmstadt||51-100||Bachelor of Science, Masters of Science & Doctorate in Mechanical Engineering|
Top Mechanical Engineering Universities in Germany: Degree and Courses
Mechanical engineering in Germany is offered through the following degree types:
- Undergraduate- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- Graduate- Master of Engineering & MS in Mechanical Engineering
- Doctoral- Doctoral of Philosophy/ Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering
There are plenty of broad subjects taught under the mechanical engineering degree in Germany which may vary from university to university. Some of the common courses included in by all the top mechanical engineering universities in Germany are:
- Mechatronics and Robotics
- Fluid Mechanics
- Materials and Manufacturing Engineering
- Automotive and Process Engineering
- Combustion Science
- Structural Analysis
- Production Management
A mechanical engineering degree prepares students for careers within aerospace, automation, water supply, mechatronics, etc,
Top Mechanical Engineering Universities in Germany offering Undergraduate Programs
Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering in Germany is offered by adding aspects of mechatronics, robotics, processing and automotive engineering to the programs. With a duration of not more than 3 years, tabulated here are some of the popular undergraduate programs at top mechanical engineering universities in Germany.
|Program||University||Duration||Average annual fee (EUR)|
|B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering-Energy Engineering/Automotive Engineering||Karlsruhe Institute of Technology||3 Years||17,673|
|B.Eng. Mechatronics and Robotics||Hochschule Heilbronn||3 Years||3,000|
|B.Eng. in Mechanical Engineering||FH Aachen - University of Applied Sciences||3 Years||19,500|
|B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering & Mechatronics||University of Stuttgart||3 Years||3,063|
|B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering & Processing Engineering||Technical University of Darmstadt||3 Years||552|
Eligibility for Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering in Germany
In order to apply for an undergraduate program in mechanical engineering from Germany, individuals may check the below mentioned criteria for admissions-
- A secondary school degree
- Official school leaving certificates
- Scores of SAT exam- 1200 or more
- Language proficiency scores:
- TOEFL: 75-100
- IELTS: 7 or more
- TESTDAF: Level 2
- DSD II: Minimum B in all sections
- Goethe Certificate-C2 Level
- Admirable grades in mathematics & physics in the last two years of education
All the international students must make sure to have the following documents when applying for bachelors in mechanical engineering from Germany:
- Academic Transcripts
- Evidence of Health Insurance
- Proof of Sufficient Financial Resources
- Current Photo for ID
- Valid Passport
Cost & Funding for Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering in Germany
Bachelors in mechanical engineering from Germany can cost international students from a range of 600 to 20,000 EUR approximately, depending upon the course and college one selects. This outflow is also dependent on the choice of program selected.
However, various international scholarships for undergraduate students in Germany are available to provide financial help and assistance.
Top Mechanical Engineering Universities in Germany offering Masters
Graduate candidates with a MS in Mechanical Engineering in Germany can earn an average annual salary of 50,000 EUR. Mentioned below is the table that summarizes a few prevalent graduate programs at top mechanical engineering universities in Germany:
|Popular Program||University||Duration||Average annual fee (EUR)|
|M.Sc. in Mechatronics||Munich University of Applied Science||1.5 Year||1,790|
|M.SC. in Computational Mechanics||Technical University of Munich||2 Years||520|
|MSc. Mechanical Engineering||RWTH Aachen University||2 Years||4500|
|M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering & Mechatronics||University of Stuttgart||2 Years||3,063|
|M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering||Karlsruhe Institute of Technology||2 Years||3,000|
Eligibility for MS in Mechanical Engineering in Germany
Applicants eager to apply for masters in mechanical engineering from Germany must ensure to have few basic qualifications. Some of the required eligibility criteria are listed below:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or in a related field of study
- GRE scores are required.
- Proof of English proficiency:
- TOEFL: 75-100
- IELTS: 7 or more
- German Language Proficiency cut-offs:
- TESTDAF: Level 2
- DSD II: Minimum B in all sections
- Goethe Certificate- C1 Level.
- Students may have to fulfill all the principles set by corresponding universities and departments.
The documents required for pursuing masters in mechanical engineering from Germany can be generally categorized into the following:
- Records of Transcripts
- Current Resume
- Signed Online Application (signed)
- Letter of Motivation
- Health Insurance Certificate of the Student
- Valid National Passport
Cost & Funding for Masters in Mechanical Engineering in Germany
Cost to pursue a graduate degree in mechanical engineering from Germany may differ based on definite graduate programs and the university one selects. The average annual program fee for masters in mechanical engineering ranges from 600 to 4000 EUR.
International students can check different scholarships for master programs in Germany. Some of the universities have the facility of departmental scholarships available for a certain number of students based on merit.
Top Mechanical Engineering Universities in Germany offering Ph.D.
A Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering in Germany is a 3 to 5 year program. With 7.5% of the students electing Ph.D. for higher studies and 10.8% doing research in Germany, check out the top mechanical engineering universities in Germany for Ph.D.:
|University||Duration||Average annual fee (EUR)|
|Braunschweig University of Technology||3-5 Years||1,600|
|RWTH Aachen University||3-5 Years||0|
|Karlsruhe Institute of Technology||3-5 Years||-|
|Technical University of Munich||3-5 Years||0|
|Technical University of Darmstadt||3-5 Years||-|
Eligibility for Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering in Germany
To pursue Ph.D in mechanical engineering from Germany students may have to fulfill few distinct guidelines and therefore, assembled under are the important eligibility standards for admissions:
- A good academic record both in undergraduate and graduate degree (70% or B-)
- International students should have GRE scores.
- Students must get their research paper approved by the concerned universities.
- Proof of English language proficiency (IELTS- 7 or more & TOEFL- 75-100) is mandatory for all the international students.
- German language proficiency test is compulsory.
The documents as follows are essential to study Ph.D. in mechanical engineering from Germany:
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
- Internship Certificate
- Recent photo
- Past Academic Transcripts
- Approved Thesis
Cost & Funding for Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering in Germany
Funding becomes more crucial when it comes to a doctoral degree and one can be capable enough to earn the facility of stipend when doing research in mechanical engineering from Germany, but the cost to study a doctoral program may range from 0 EUR to 1600 EUR annually on an average.
The government of Germany and various universities have a number of scholarships for a doctoral program in Germany.
Scholarships at Top Mechanical Engineering Universities in Germany
The cost of studying in Germany can be less if compared to other countries, as the public universities of the country charge no cost, but it still affects the budget of international students in terms of living and miscellaneous costs, which may rise to 1000 EUR.
Below mentioned are a few popular scholarships for international students in Germany to help the international students:
|Scholarship Name||Offered To||Award (EUR)|
|DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst)||Postgraduate students of science and engineering||850 per month for two years|
|Deutschland Stipendium National Scholarship Program||Bachelors and masters programs||300 per month|
|Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Scholarships in Germany||International students pursuing postgraduate programs||850 per month for two years|
|RISE in Germany (Research Internships in Science and Engineering)||Postgraduate students of science and engineering||778 each month|
|Heinrich Boll Scholarships||Bachelors, masters & doctoral international students at German higher institution of education||Variable|
Mechanical Engineering Job Opportunities in Germany
The scope of mechanical engineering in Germany is rich as there are more than 6,000 companies that employ around 964,000 mechanical engineers, which is more than any other engineering sector of the country.
- Mechanical industry ranks second in Germany in terms of revenue collection.
- The sector being vast, Germany also welcomes employees who do not hold a German mechanical engineering degree.
- Companies like Bosch, Daimler and Siemens are few of the top recruiters of this industry in Germany.
Presenting under are some high-paid jobs in Germany that any aspirant can discover after completing a course from a top mechanical engineering university in Germany.
|Designation||Average Range of Salary (EURO)|
|Trainee Mechanical Engineer||10,000 to 40,000|
|Mechanical Engineer||11,100 to 43,100|
|Mechanical Inspector||10,500 to 42,000|
|Mechatronics Engineer||10,000 to 51,800|
|Mechanical Design Engineer||11,000 to 49,634|
|Project Manager||25,800 to 63,000|
|Engineer Incharge||13,200 to 49,000|
|Area Manager||35,453 to 103,500|
|Department Head||27,860 to 81,800|
|Team Leader||23,400 to 72,800|
|Project Engineer||12,367 to 51,996|
The average annual salary of a mechanical engineer may range from 10,000 EUR to 103,000 EUR, depending on the level of qualification one possesses. Nevertheless, an experience of two or more years may increase the average salary by 10% annually.
With a large number of universities, which do not charge tuition fees, Germany is not only a demanding country in terms of international education system, but also the country stands third in the same regard by the research-intensive curriculum, as per the US News & World Report. This concludes that mechanical engineering can be one of the popular courses to study in Germany.