MS in Aerospace Engineering in USA: A Guide for International Students
USA is a popular spot for Aerospace Engineering with leading colleges like MIT, Stanford University, etc. offering masters programs. As per BLA, there will be an estimated growth of 2% over the decade for aerospace engineering jobs in USA. MS in Aerospace Engineering in USA comprises the design, construction, and science of aircraft and spacecraft.
- Studies in USA for aerospace engineering are usually of a 2-year duration.
- There are two variations of aerospace engineers one being Aeronautical Engineer and the other being Astronautical Engineer.
- The annual median wage for Aerospace Engineers is USD 115,220.
- At MIT, 63% of graduates in engineering and management get placed within 3 months. As per data of 2018, on average, every student gets 3 job offers after graduating from MIT.
Why study MS in Aerospace Engineering in the USA?
- USA accounts for a high position when it comes to average salaries for aerospace engineers in the world after Switzerland, Norway, and Iceland.
- The annual average salary in USA varies between USD 73,422 for mechanical engineers to USD 115,881 for senior system engineers. The median salary for Aerospace engineering and operation technicians is USD 67,010.
- 15 top universities in USA offering MS in Aerospace Engineering are among the top 50 global universities according to QS Rankings 2020.
- Most companies recruiting aerospace engineering graduates are from the USA. These include companies like Boeing, Airbus, Northrop Grumman, SpaceX, and Blue Origin.
- The salary from industry to industry varies immensely. Aerospace product and parts manufacturing offer a salary of USD 115,130 whereas Scientific, Research and Development services pay around USD 128,980. Communications Equipment manufacturing also pays around USD 111,970.
Top Universities for MS in Aerospace Engineering in USA
The university considered best for MS in aerospace Engineering in USA is MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) followed by Stanford University. The table below shows the top universities for MS in Aerospace Engineering in USA:
|1||MIT||Master of Science in Aeronautics and Astronautics||1-2 years||53450|
|2||Stanford University||Master of Science in Aeronautics and Astronautics||3-5 years||69972|
|6||Harvard University||Master of Engineering||1 year||48008|
|13||Georgia Institute of Technology||Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering||1 year||40522|
|17||California Institute of Technology||Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering||1 year||52506|
|26||University of California, Berkeley||Master of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering||9 months||55754|
|36||Cornell University||Master of Science in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering||2 years||29500|
|38||University of Illinois- Urbana-Champaign||Engg in Aerospace Systems||2-2.5 years||28464|
|40||Princeton University||Master of Science in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering||2 years||51870|
|44||University of Texas Austin||Master in Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Mechanics||1 year||27370|
MS in Aerospace Engineering in the USA: Admissions
The admission applications to universities in USA begin usually in June and November. To be eligible for admissions to MS in Aerospace Engineering in USA, an applicant must fulfill the admission requirements.
- Completed admission application form
- UG degree in engineering, mathematics, physics, natural sciences, or a related field of study from a recognized university.
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Scores of standardized exams to study in USA such as GRE
- Submit all the required documents along with the admission application-
- Academic transcripts from all educational institutions attended
- Proof of scores of standardized exams to study in USA
- Letters of Recommendation-Usually, 3-4 letters of recommendation are needed.
- Statement of Purpose(SOP)- A statement of purpose depicting the academic arc of the applicant in detail. It should be a 1-2 page essay.
- Statement of Financial Resources- An applicant must submit credible evidence of financial eligibility for the first year of study.
- Copy of passport
- Payment of non-refundable application fee
|Universities||English language requirements|
|Harvard University||TOEFL-80 overall/IELTS-6.5 overall|
|Illinois Institute of Technology||IELTS-6.5 overall; TOEFL-90+|
|MIT(Sloan)||TOEFL-100/120 or IELTS-7/9|
Student Visa to USA
An international applicant is required to apply for a student visa to USA to study MS in Aerospace Engineering in USA. Upon successfully completing the admissions at an American university, applicants receive an I-20 form from the university required to apply for a student visa to USA. Documents needed for the visa process include:
- Financial Statement
- Bank Statements or Funding Letter
- I-20 or DS-2019 form
- Offer letter from the university
- Proof of English language proficiency
Students will need to appear for a visa interview with the US Embassy.
Cost of Study for Masters in Aerospace Engineering in USA
USA is way costlier in comparison to any other study abroad destination. Studying in USA costs around 208.97% higher than India. The cost of study in USA includes pre-arrival expenses, tuition fees and living expenses.
Pre-arrival Expenses to USA
Pre-arrival expenses in USA include the one time fees for test registrations, the application fees for admissions, visa application fee, etc.
|Categories||Fees (in USD)|
|Visa registration fees||190|
Tuition Fees for MS in Aerospace Engineering in USA
Living Expenses in USA
Cost for living in USA varies with the state as well as the type of student housing, living standards, etc. In Boston, the monthly cost would be USD 1500-3000 whereas in San Diego it is USD 1400-2400.
|Categories||Annual Cost (in USD)|
|Books and Supplies||900|
|Apartment Housing with amenities||16,700|
|Meal Plan for Dormitory Residents||2,426|
Scholarships for MS in Aerospace Engineering in USA
Various scholarships for masters students in USA are available through universities or even private agencies or organizations. The table below shows the various international scholarships to study in USA:
|Scholarships||Requirements||Award (in USD)|
|William Asbjornsen Albert Memorial Fellowship||PG student at MIT with research in modern science and engineering.||Tuition, health insurance and stipend of USD 2,100|
|Collamore-Rogers Fellowship||Women graduate student||Tuition, Health insurance and stipend|
|Zakhartchenko Fellowship||PG student with a research background||Tuition, Health Insurance and stipend|
|Chyn Duog Shiah Memorial Fellowship||PG student of Chinese descent, preference to chemical engineers||Tuition, Health Insurance and stipend|
MS in Aerospace Engineering in USA
There is a major demand for MS in Aerospace Engineering in the USA. There are around 67,000 or more capacities for aerospace engineers in the USA. With an estimated growth of 2% over the past decade, aerospace engineering graduates can find several high paying jobs in USA. They work in aircraft, missiles, systems for national defense or spacecraft. They engage in manufacturing, analysis and design, research and development for the federal government.
According to BLS aerospace engineers working for the federal government earn a median salary of USD 117,700.
The chart shows the industries hiring aerospace engineers after a masters degree:
Aerospace engineering graduates work as:
- Aerospace Engineers and Operation Technicians;
- Architectural and Engineering Managers;
- Computer Hardware Engineers;
- Electronics and Electrical Engineering Technicians;
- Material Engineers and
- Mechanical Engineers
The table below shows the average annual salary for MS in Aerospace Engineering graduates in India.
|Titles||Average Annual Salary(in USD)|
|Air traffic controller||87,100|
|Aircraft Quality Assurance||106,000|
|Airlines Sales Manager||85,000|
An aerospace engineer helps design, maintain, test the performance of civil, military aircraft, missiles and satellite, and space vehicles meet the customer requirements.
Salary for aerospace engineers differs from state to state. The following table shows the stats:
|State||Average Annual Salary (in USD)|
One of the top US recruiters for aerospace engineers, SpaceX heading projects like Falcon 9 under its wing, offers vast opportunities to graduates. They hire graduates for Mission management and space operations to Vehicle engineering. On average, an aerospace engineer earns 117,700 USD per year according to BLS. This makes MS in Aerospace Engineering a lucrative degree for students who aspire to fly high in the sky.
Ques. What is MS in Aerospace Engineering?
Ans. MS in Aerospace Engineering is a degree that includes the designing, construction, development and operations of spacecraft, aircraft and missiles. Aerospace engineers work as aerospace engineers or space designers.
Ques. Which is the best country to study Aerospace Engineering?
Ans. The USA is considered to be the best country for MS in Aerospace Engineering because of high ranked colleges. Top US universities like MIT, Sanford University, Harvard University are among the top five colleges for aerospace engineering in USA according to QS Rankings 2020.
Ques. What is the general eligibility for MS in Aerospace Engineering in USA?
Ans. A PG student of Aerospace engineering must submit his/her GRE scores beside a BEngg degree in any specialization. IELTS score of 6.5 overall is also needed or TOEFL score of 79+.
Ques. What is the average cost of studying MS in Aerospace Engineering in USA?
Ans. The average tuition fee is USD 21,000 for MS in Aerospace Engineering in USA. The tuition fee is calculated on the basis of credits in some colleges and others have an overall average.
Ques. What is the average salary of an aerospace engineer in USA?
Ans. The average salary ranges between USD 71,640 to USD 185,311. The median salary is around USD 115,220.