NUSRL, Ranchi will begin the admission procedure to UG/PG programs at participating universities via CLAT Centralised Online Counselling the first week of June, 2021 The Consortium will release a list of students invited for CLAT Counselling for both UG and PG programs.
Candidates interested to seek admission toBA LLB, BBA LLB and LLM programmes at IPU will be able to register for the counseling process. All the steps have been given below, along with all the necessary information law aspirants need for CLAT Counseling Process.
- April 20, 2021: The NLU has announced the exam date for CLAT 2021 session. It will be conducted on June 13, 2021.
- June, 2021: CLAT 2021 result will be released by NLU in the form of a scorecard.
|Table of Contents|
Candidates who will be allotted an NLU will have to deposit INR 50,000 for securing an allotted seat during the admission procedure. The fee is not an extra burden but an amount of the admission fees. Admission fee will be provided after deducting INR 50,000. The counselling consists of the following processes:
- Online registration,
- Making NLU choices,
- Allotment of seats,
- Fee payment
- Reporting to the institutes.
CLAT Counselling 2021 Highlights
|Conducting Authority||Consortium of NLUs|
|Mode of Counselling||Online|
|Minimum Eligibility||CLAT Rank and order of preference in CLAT Form|
|Total Participating Colleges||21 NLUs and 45+ Private colleges|
|Total Seats||3000 approx. (in NLUs)|
CLAT 2021 Counselling Dates
Note: There shall be no refund of counselling fee after the last date of withdrawal from the admission process.
|CLAT 2021 Application Form opens||1st week of January 2021|
|CLAT 2021 Application Form Last Date||4th week of March 2021|
|CLAT 2021 Admit Card Release date||3rd week of April 2021|
|CLAT 2021 Exam Date||2nd week of May 2021|
|Answer Key Release||3rd week of May 2021|
|Result Announcement||4th week of May 2021|
|Counselling||1st week of June 2021|
Documents Required for CLAT Counselling
Candidates having their names on the merit list should have the following documents at the time of CLAT Counselling:
- CLAT 2021 Application Form
- CLAT Admit Card 2021
- CLAT 2021 Score Card
- Class 10th Marks-sheet (Date of Birth proof)
- Class 12th Marks-sheet (Academic Qualification/ Eligibility Criteria)
- Caste Certificate (If applicable)
- Specially-Abled Certificate (If applicable)
- NRI Certificate (If applicable)
- Sponsored NRI Certificate (If applicable)
- Domicile Certificate (If applicable)
- Call Letter issued by CLAT authority
- Current passport size photographs
Note:The documents should be scanned as per the specified standards.
CLAT 2021 Counselling Procedure
The counselling procedure of CLAT 2021 is done via an online centralized system. It is conducted separately for UG and PG programs. The entire process will be done as per the CLAT Calendar created by the conducting authorities.
The stepwise procedure for final admissions to the 21 NLUs is as follows:
Step 1: Publication of 1st indicative list
- The merit list to shortlist candidates for the final admissions will be released on the official website. On merit-cum-preference basis of CLAT 2021 scores, the first list for CLAT counselling will be declared.
Step 2:Counselling fee payment and option available to exercise by provisionally selected candidates
This step is further divided into sub-steps as given below:
- In the counselling process, participation is allowed to a specified number of candidates from various categories against an actual number of seats available with participating NLUs.
- The requisite counselling fee of INR 50,000 must be deposited by provisionally selected candidates.
- Adjustable fee deposited with the CLAT office will be transferred to the participating NLU in which the candidate has taken admission after completion of the admission process.
- In case candidates fail to deposit the fee within a specified time frame, they will lose their right to consideration for admission under CLAT. Besides, their names will also be dropped from the merit list.
- After payment of fee, candidates have to exercise any one of the options listed below:
- Lock – Candidates choosing ‘Lock’ option confirms his/ her choice of the allotted NLU. Such candidate shall not be considered for further shifting to any other NLUs of his/ her higher choice in case of any vacancy arising thereafter at the subsequent stage during the counselling process.
- Upward Shifting – Candidates choosing the ‘Shifting’ option are considered against any other vacancies arising in NLUs of his/ her higher choice via subsequent allotment list. There shall be upward shifting in order of candidates’ preferences provided in the application form. There shall be no downward shifting at any stage of the counselling procedure by CLAT 2021.
- Withdrawal – There is an option to withdraw the fee as well in two ways.
- Option 1 – Failing to deposit the requisite fee
- Option 2 – Choosing the option of withdrawal before final seat allotment list i.e. during the fourth round of CLAT Counselling.
Step 3:Publication of 2nd list having the names of finalized candidates after payment of counselling fee and additional waitlisted candidates
- A second list will be published by the CLAT office of candidates who have paid counselling fee and reserved seats on participating NLUs.
- In the second list, CLAT will also release a wait list of candidates selected provisionally against dropped out candidates, if any.
- Within the prescribed time period as per CLAT calendar, the requisite counselling fee of INR 50,000 is required to be paid and their seat is required to be reserved.
- From the deposited counselling fee, there will be a deduction of a nominal amount of INR 10,000.
- The entire amount of counselling fee will be forfeited in case of any withdrawal after a stipulated period.
Step 4:Publication of 3rd list allotting seats to candidates
- A comprehensive third allotment list of candidates will be published by CLAT office. Candidates who have paid their counselling fee and reserved their seat in the participating NLUs make to this list.
- This list will include candidates who have paid the counselling fee against the first and second indicative list.
- With the third allotment list, a list of waitlisted candidates, who are provisionally selected against dropped out candidates, will also be released.
- Within the prescribed time period as per CLAT calendar, the requisite counselling fee is required to be paid and their seat is required to be reserved.
Step 5:Completion of admission formalities at the allotted NLUs
- Candidates need to approach allotted NLU to deposit the balance amount towards admission and other fees.
- Carry relevant certificates/documents in original issue issued by the competent authority in support of the various claims made by candidates
- Respective universities check certificates in original at the time of admission.
- No admission in participating NLUs will be allowed to candidates failing to produce required certificates/documents in original or meet the eligibility requirements.
- After the publication of CLAT merit list, the claim for admission and the entire amount of the counselling fee of INR 50,000 is forfeited to candidates who fail to report at the allotted NLU.
Participating Institutes in CLAT 2021
Apart from NLUs, there are other institutes that accept CLAT score for admission to UG – PG Law Courses. The list of participating National Law Universities is as follows:
|S.No.||Name of the Institute||S.No.||Name of the Institute|
|1||National Law School of India University, Bangalore||2||National Academy of Legal Studies and Research, Hyderabad|
|3||National Law University, Nagpur||4||Himachal Pradesh National Law University, Shimla|
|5||Maharashtra National Law University, Aurangabad||6||Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai|
|7||Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Visakhapatnam||8||Tamil Nadu National Law School, Trichy|
|9||National Law University and Judicial Academy, Guwahati||10||National University of Study and Research in Law, Ranchi|
|11||National Law University, Delhi||12||National Law University Odisha, Cuttack|
|13||National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi||14||Chanakya National Law University, Patna|
|15||Rajiv Gandhi National Law University, Patiala||16||Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow|
|17||Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar||18||Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur|
|19||National Law Institute University, Bhopal||20||West Bengal National University of Judicial Sciences, Kolkata|
|21||National Law University, Jodhpur||-||-|
The following institutions are having MoU with CLAT 2021 Office for using CLAT score for admission purposes:
|S.No.||Name of the Institute||S.No.||Name of the Institute|
|1||Alliance University, Bangalore||2||Amity University, Uttar Pradesh|
|3||Asian Law College, Noida||4||DIRD Holambi Khurd, Delhi|
|5||Dr. K.N. Modi University, Rajasthan||6||Faculty of Law, Marwadi University, Rajkot|
|7||Galgotias University, Uttar Pradesh||8||Geeta Institute of Law, Panipat|
|9||GITAM School of Law, Visakhapatnam||10||Harlal School of Law, Greater Noida|
|11||ICFAI University, Dehradun||12||ICFAI University, Tripura|
|13||IFIM Law College, Bangalore||14||IIMT University, College of Law, Meerut|
|15||IMS Unison University, Dehradun||16||Indore Institute of Law, Indore|
|17||Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad||18||Institute of Legal Studies and Research, GLA University, Mathura|
|19||ISBR Law College, Bangalore||20||Jain University, Bangalore|
|21||Jims Engineering Management Technical Campus (JEMTEC) School of Law, Greater Noida||22||Kalinga University, Faculty of Law, Naya Raipur|
|23||Law College Dehradun, Uttaranchal University||24||Lloyd Law College, Greater Noida|
|25||Madhya Pradesh Dharmashastra National Law University, Jabalpur||26||MSB Global Law Institute (Maharaja Surajmal Brij University), Bharatpur|
|27||Mewar Law Institute, Ghaziabad||28||Manipal University, Jaipur|
|29||Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University, MJRP Academy of Law, Jaipur||30||Maharishi University of Information Technology, Delhi NCR|
|31||NIMT Vidhi Evam Kanoon Sansthan (NIMT Institute of Method and Law), Greater Noida||32||NMIMS, Kirit P. Mehta School of Law, Mumbai|
|33||PES University, Bangalore||34||Raffles University, Neemrana, Rajasthan|
|35||Renaissance Law College, Indore||36||Reva University, Bangalore|
|37||RNB Global University, Bikaner||38||Sandip University, Nashik|
|39||Shree Guru Gobind Singh Tricentenary (SGT) University, Gurugram||40||Shri Vaishnav Institute of Law, Indore|
|41||Siddhartha Law College, Dehradun||42||SRM University, Haryana|
|43||The NorthCap University, Gurgaon||44||Unitedworld School of Law, Karnavati University, Gandhinagar|
|45||Vivekananda Global University, Jaipur||46||Xavier University, Bhubaneswar|
What if my CLAT Rank is beyond AIR 1200?
Probably all students who had aspired for getting a great rank in CLAT 2021 may not be able to achieve it. However, this does not mean that a person should get disheartened. If a candidate thinks s/he will be able to perform better in CLAT 2021, considering a drop is always an option. But, there are also certain colleges that match up to the academic level of NLUs and a student with a CLAT 2021 Rank of 1200+ can easily get admission in these institutes (the academic fees of these institutes may be higher in comparison to NLUs).
|Name of the Institute||City|
|KPM School of Law||Mumbai & Navi Mumbai|
CLAT Counselling 2021 FAQs
Ques. Will there be any waiting list for CLAT Counselling?
Ans. A list of waitlisted candidates will also be issued along with the Provisional Allotment List, from the first 2500 candidates who had undertaken the counselling after remitting the fees. The comprehensive list will be prepared by picking up candidates proportionately from various categories such as General/SC/ST/OBC/PWD/DFF/NRI etc. both from the All India and State (Domicile) category of candidates.
Ques. If a student does not take/fails to take admission to an NLU, will the initial registration fee be refunded?
Ans. After depositing the required amount of fees and taking part in the counselling session with the CLAT office by the stipulated date, if the waitlisted candidates fail to get a seat/does not take a seat in any of the Universities due to non-availability of vacancy, the entire amount of Rs.1,00,000/- deposited by such candidates will be refunded to them without any deduction.
Ques. Will there be any subsequent merit lists after the first allotment list is published for CLAT?
Those candidates who fail to report to the Universities and complete the admission formalities within a stipulated date will forfeit their claim for admission and their seats will be filled up by the University by following its own procedure and not by the CLAT Office. The respective Universities will be reporting the details of admission to the CLAT Office including the number of vacancies that might remain due to non-reporting of the candidates allotted under the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Actual Allotment List. This would help the CLAT Office make the declaration of the final allotment.
Ques. What is the minimum cut-off score/ sectional cut off for CLAT 2021?
Ans. There is no such minimum cut off score/ sectional cut off score to qualify CLAT. However, admissions to NLUs will be offered based on candidates’ performance in the law entrance examination, in the order of merit.
Ques. What is the CLAT counselling fee?
Ans. Candidates will have to deposit a counselling fee of INR 50,000 at the CLAT office. The counselling fee is not a separate fee but will be adjusted in the admission fees at the time of admission in the allotted NLU.
Ques. Will I be refunded the CLAT counselling fee, if I don’t want to take admission?
Ans. Candidates must note that there shall be no refund of counselling fee after the last date of withdrawal from the admission process. Those candidates who have withdrawn their seats up to a defined date will be refunded after deducting Rs. 10,000 from the CLAT counselling fee.
Ques. Can I change my NLU choices subsequently?
Ans. No, once a candidate has indicated and submitted his/ her choices of NLUs, it’ll be treated as final. However, in case of multiple applications for CLAT, the last submitted form will be treated as final.
Ques. Is there any seat available for NRI/ NRI sponsored/ foreign national candidates?
Ans. Yes, some of the NLUs offer seats to NRI/ NRO sponsored/ foreign national candidates. Candidates need to go through the official website to know more about NRI seats.
Ques. How will I know which National Law University is allotted to me?
Ans. There are two ways to check it –
- Visit the official website and check the allotment list and see whether your name is mentioned or not.
- Log in to your CLAT account to check the status of your allotment.
Ques. How will the CLAT counselling session be conducted?
Ans. CLAT counselling will be done via an online centralized system under the authority of CLAT office. No individual NLUs will not be conducting the counselling sessions.
Ques. I am unable to deposit my CLAT counselling fee. What should I do?
Ans. If you fail to deposit the requisite fee before the last date specified, you will lose the right to be considered for admission into the NLU for that year.
Ques. Can I change my preferences once the CLAT counselling session begins?
Ans. Candidates will not be allowed to change their preferences once the CLAT results are out and Counselling is in progress. In case, you’re allotted your 2nd preference NLU during a counselling session and in the subsequent session a seat opens up in a higher preference NLU of your choice (for whatever reason), you will be allowed to ‘Upward Shift’ to that seat. You will only be allowed to shift to a higher preference NLU of your choice. No downgrading will be possible.
Ques. What is Upward Shifting in CLAT Counselling?
Ans. When a candidate opts for upward ‘Shifting’, her/his candidature at a higher NLUs preference will be considered if the vacancy arises and he/she is in the Merit List of the higher preference NLU.
Ques. Is there any reservation under State Domicile Quota?
Ans. Yes, some NLUs have reserved seats for candidates belonging to their state. This is called the State Domicile Quota. Candidates will have to provide proof of domiciled status by producing relevant DFF documents. Check CLAT Reservation
Ques. What does ‘Lock’ option mean during the seat allotment round?
Ans. If a candidate is satisfied with her/his allotted NLU during first/second/third Allotment list, he has the option of ‘Locking’ his seat. When a candidate exercises his/her lock option, it means she/he is happy with the NLU that has been allotted to him/her and will not be allowed to shift/change to a higher preference NLU, even if a vacancy arises.
Ques. What if I forget to use the ‘Lock’ option?
Ans. In case a candidate’s forgets to/or is unable to lock, her/his default choice will be locked. The default choice will be based on her/his All India Rank and if there is a vacancy in his choice of NLUs.
Ques. Do individual NLUs conduct CLAT counselling and seat allotment?
Ans. No, CLAT counselling is conducted by the CLAT office on behalf of the 19 NLUs. Counselling sessions are done online through a centralized system.
Ques. I have been waitlisted. What should I do?
Ans. Each Seat Allotment List will have two categories (Selected Candidates and Waitlisted Candidates), first will be those who have provisionally been granted admission and the second will have the waitlisted candidates. If vacancies arise due to some students dropping out in the subsequent Seat Allotment List, then highest ranked waitlisted candidates will be provisionally given admission.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.