CLAT Eligibility: The law entrance examination is conducted annually for UG and PG programs. This year, NLU Odisha, Cuttack will hold the national level exam on May 26. Intermediate graduates with 45% marks can apply online from January 2019. Failing to comply with CLAT Eligibility Criteria at any stage of the selection process will lead to cancellation of candidature.
Common Law Admission Test or CLAT, is a single unified entrance test for candidates aspiring to pursue 3 year LLB, 5 year Integrated LLB and LLM. The National Law University, Odisha has not yet introduced any changes in the eligibility criteria in the exam.
Listed below are the factors on which a candidate’s eligibility for the exam will be judged:
- Academic Qualification
- Age Limit
Check CLAT 2019 Official Notification (Releasing Soon)
CLAT Eligibility for UG Course (LL.B.)
CLAT offers admissions to both national and NRI candidates in the Five Year Integrated LLB Course offered in various National Law Universities (NLUs) across India. The standards are given below:
CLAT Age Limit Eligibility Criteria
As per the revised standards, there will be no upper age limit for UG Program in CLAT 2019.
Earlier, the age criteria for the exam was:
- Unreserved/ NRIs/ NRI Sponsored category candidates below 20 years of age as on July 01, 2019.
- SC/ ST/ OBC/ Specially Abled Persons (SAP) category candidates below 22 years of age as on July 01, 2019.
CLAT Eligibility: Academic Qualification
In class 12th or equivalent examination, they must have secured:
- For Unreserved /OBC /Specially Abled Persons (SAP) and other categories – A minimum of 45% marks required.
- For SC/ST Category – A minimum of 40% marks required.
CLAT Eligibility - General Criteria
- Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination in April/May 2019 are eligible to register for Common Law Admission Test. They must submit an evidence of their successfully clearing the qualifying examination at the time of admission, failing which they will lose their right to be considered for admission.
- Submit the result of qualifying examination (i.e., 10+2) at the time of CLAT Admission Procedure.
- In case of equal marks, the tie-breaking procedure is as follows:
(i) Higher marks in the section of legal aptitude in CLAT 2019
(ii) Higher age
(iii) A computerized draw of lots
CLAT Eligibility for PG Course (LL.M.)
CLAT offers admissions to both national and NRI candidates in the one Year LLM Course offered at various NLUs and other institutes/ universities accepting CLAT Scores.
CLAT Age Limit Eligibility Criteria
- There is no upper age limit set for appearing in the examination.
- Thus, candidates of all ages are eligible to appear for the law entrance examination.
CLAT Eligibility: Academics Qualification
Law aspirants appearing for CLAT LLM Program should have secured a minimum percentage in qualifying examination (i.e. LL.B./ 5-Year Integrated LL.B. (Hons.)/ any other equivalent exam). The marks vary as per candidate’s category.
- For Unreserved /OBC /Specially Abled Persons (SAP) and other categories: a minimum of 55% marks are required.
- For SC/ ST category – a minimum of 50% marks is required.
- On the date of admission, he/ she must have passed or appeared in the final semester/final year examination of the qualifying examination.
- Submit the final result of qualifying examination within the time frame prescribed by the respective University/Institute. Till then such candidates are given provisional admission.
CLAT Eligibility: General Criteria
In case of equal marks, the tie-breaking procedure is as follows:
- Higher age, the tie persists then;
- Computerized draw of lots will be taken into consideration.
CLAT Eligibility for NRI
NRI/ NRI Sponsored category candidates are offered seats under NRI Quota. The admissions are not carried out by the CLAT office, but by the concerned universities independently on the basis of CLAT merit.
Important points to keep in mind:
- Candidates must contact the concerned university directly for admission formalities, eligibility, documents required and other related queries for seeking admission under NRI/NRI sponsored category.
- WBNUJS, Kolkata (West Bengal) has different criteria for admissions. It is as follows:
- There is a total of 17 seats for the candidates aspiring for admissions in the undergraduate courses whereas there are no seats available for the postgraduate program.
- Through CLAT Office: CLAT Office will issue the list of students eligible for taking admission under this category.
- Documents required by the NRI Candidates at the time of CLAT Admission Procedure:
- Copy of Valid Indian Passport of the Student
- Copy of Visas obtained in the last 12 months
- Certificate from the local embassy stating that the person is an NRI/OCI or PIO Card
- Documents required by NRI Sponsored Candidates at the time of admission:
- Copy of Valid Indian Passport of the Sponsor
- Copy of Visas obtained in the last 12 months by the Sponsor
- Certificate from the local embassy stating that the Sponsor is an NRI/ OCI or PIO Card
- An affidavit by the sponsor indicating the interest shown in the education affairs of the student and willingness to fund the education of student over the next 5 years.
Sponsors for NRI Sponsored Students
a) The person who willingly sponsors candidates for admission is required to be a first-degree relation of the student and shall be residing abroad as a Non-Resident Indian.
b) In case the student has no parents or near relatives or taken as a ward by some other nearest relative, such students also may be considered for admission. The guardian must have legally treated the applying candidate as a ward. Such guardian shall file an affidavit mentioning the interest in the education of the candidate and also their relationship with the candidate. It is mandatory for that person to also be a Non-Resident Indian and ordinarily residing abroad.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College