CLAT 2021 Eligibility Criteria has been announced by Consortium of NLU’s. A candidate’s eligibility for the exam will be decided upon (a) Academic Qualification, (b) Age Limit, (c)Nationality. Candidates are advised to read the eligibility criteria carefully before applying for CLAT 2021 as every participating NLU has a separate eligibility criteria. If a candidate fails to meet any of the specified points during the admission process, chances of cancellation of his/her candidature rises.
CLAT 2021 is scheduled for June 13, 2021. The registrations have begun from January 1. Willing candidates can apply for the test till March 31, 2021. Click here to apply
Common Law Admission Test is a single unified entrance test for candidates aspiring to pursue 3 year LLB, 5 year Integrated LLB and LLM. The law entrance examination is conducted annually for UG and PG programs.
CLAT Eligibility for UG Course (LL.B.)
CLAT Age Limit
As per the revised standards, there will be no upper age limit for UG Program in CLAT 2021.
- Academic Qualification – A candidate must have secured minimum marks required in 12th standard, as per the category to which he/she belongs:
- For Unreserved /OBC /Specially Abled Persons (SAP) and other categories – A minimum of 45% marks required.
- For SC/ST Category – A minimum of 40% marks required.
- General Criteria – Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination in April/May 2021 are eligible to register for Common Law Admission Test. They must submit an evidence of their successfully clearing the qualifying examination at the time of admission, failing which they will lose their right to be considered for admission.
- Submit the result of qualifying examination (i.e., 10+2) at the time of CLAT Admission.
- In case of equal marks, the tie-breaking procedure is as follows:
- Higher marks in the section of legal aptitude in CLAT 2021
- Higher age
- A computerized draw of lots
CLAT Eligibility for PG Course (LL.M.)
CLAT offers admissions to both national and NRI candidates in the One Year LLM Course offered at various NLUs and other institutes/ universities accepting CLAT Scores.
CLAT Age Limit
There is no upper age limit set for appearing in the examination.
- Academic Qualification – Aspirants appearing for CLAT LLM Program should have secured a minimum percentage in qualifying examination (i.e. LL.B./ 5-Year Integrated LL.B. (Hons.)/ any other equivalent exam). The marks vary as per candidate’s category.
- For Unreserved /OBC /Specially Abled Persons (SAP) and other categories: a minimum of 50% marks are required.
- For SC/ ST category – a minimum of 45% marks is required.
- On the date of admission, he/ she must have passed or appeared in the final semester/final year examination of the qualifying examination.
- Submit the final result of the qualifying examination within the time frame prescribed by the respective University/Institute. Till then such candidates are given provisional admission.
- General Criteria – In case of equal marks, the tie-breaking procedure is as follows:
- Higher age, the tie persists then;
- Computerized draws of lots will be taken into consideration.
Check CLAT 2021 Syllabus
CLAT Eligibility Criteria for NRI Students
NRI/ NRI Sponsored category candidates are offered seats under NRI Quota. Admissions is carried out by the concerned universities independently on the basis of CLAT merit.
Important points to keep in mind:
- Candidates must contact the concerned university directly for admission formalities, eligibility, documents required and other related queries for seeking admission under NRI/NRI sponsored category.
- WBNUJS, Kolkata (West Bengal) has different criteria for admissions.It is as follows:
- There are a total of 17 seats for the candidates aspiring for admissions in the undergraduate courses whereas there are no seats available for the postgraduate program.
- Through CLAT Office: CLAT Office will issue the list of students eligible for taking admission under this category.
- Documents required by the NRI Candidates at the time of CLAT Admission:
- Copy of Valid Indian Passport of the Student
- Copy of Visas obtained in the last 12 months
- Certificate from the local embassy stating that the person is an NRI/OCI or PIO Card
- Documents required by NRI Sponsored Candidates at the time of admission:
- Copy of Valid Indian Passport of the Sponsor
- Copy of Visas obtained in the last 12 months by the Sponsor
- Certificate from the local embassy stating that the Sponsor is an NRI/ OCI or PIO Card
- An affidavit by the sponsor indicating the interest shown in the education affairs of the student and willingness to fund the education of student over the next 5 years.
Sponsors for NRI Sponsored Students
- The person who willingly sponsors candidates for admission is required to be a first-degree relation of the student and shall be residing abroad as a Non-Resident Indian.
- In case the student has no parents or near relatives or taken as a ward by some other nearest relative, such students also may be considered for admission. The guardian must have legally treated the applying candidate as a ward. Such guardians shall file an affidavit mentioning the interest in the education of the candidate and also their relationship with the candidate. It is mandatory for that person to also be a Non-Resident Indian and ordinarily residing abroad.
CLAT Eligibility 2021 FAQs
Ques: What are the number of attempts that I can give for CLAT?
Ans. According to CLAT 2021 eligibility criteria, a candidate can appear as many times for the paper as they want.
Ques: I belong to the Scheduled Caste category. What is the minimum score I am required to get in to sit for CLAT 2021?
Ans. As per the reservation policy of CLAT, every candidate from the SC category has to score at least 50% in the respective exam.
Ques: I am a student with a Commerce background. Can I appear for the exam?
Ans. Yes. Students from all academic backgrounds (Science/Commerce/Humanities) are eligible to apply for the examination.
Ques: I am a student belonging to reserved category. What documents am I required to produce at the time of admission?
Ans. For students belonging to reserved categories, they are required to submit their caste certificate along with their academic qualification certificates at the time of admission.
Ques. I did my 12th in commerce. Am I eligible for CLAT?
Ans. As per the eligibility criteria published by CLAT, candidates belonging to any stream are allowed to apply for CLAT 2021 as long as they meet the minimum criteria for application.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, which will be updated soon subject to the notification issued by the University/College.